Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Birmingham Electric Co.

It is an interesting fact that trolley historians all seemed to be in the North. We see histories of every little line in New England, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and other areas near New York. It was in New York that the Electric Railroaders Association was formed in the 1930's. There was also a large following in the Chicago area where the Central Electric Railfans Association was formed in the 1930's. There was also a lot of activity on the west coast. But there was almost no activity south of the Mason-Dixon Line. And yet, there were trolley properties of great interest. One such was Birmingham. Here cars ran until 1953, and these cars were retreads from all over the country. Plus there were PCC's and Birneys. Here is my collection of photos of this system. It might be noticed that the majority were shot at one time by one individual. Otto Goessl was a teenager from New Orleans, who ventured east almost a half century ago. A couple of the other photos were taken by a pair of teenagers who went down from Milwaukee the year before. I would like to know a lot more about this system, and hope someone can do more research.

We have had recent additional photos and information courtesty of Bill Volkmer and Cliff Scholes. You will now find this included within the original structure of this report.

In 1884, service began with horse service as the Birmingham Street Ry. Electric service began in 1890 as Birmingham Railway & Electric Co and it became the Birmingham Ry Light & Power Co.

Cars 2 thru 20, even only, were built by Wason in 1912 for the Tidewater RR which became the Birmingham, Ensley & Bessemer, which became the Birmingham-Tidewater RR. The company was merged with BRyL&PCo in 1917 and into Birmingham Electric Co. in 1924. The cars kept the same numbers but were painted into the yellow with brown trim scheme of BECo. Shortly after they were built, the door arrangement was changed. Originally, the side door was twice as wide, and there was a small door in the front dash which allowed the motorman to enter the car without passing through the passenger compartment. During the 1930s, they were retired piecemeal, and all were gone by 1938.

2 was built by Wason in 1912 as Tidewater RR 2.  It became Birmingham Ensley & Bessemer 2 and became Birmingham-Tidewater RR 2.  It became BRyL&P Co 2 in 1917 and BECo 2 in 1924.

12 was built by Wason in 1912 as TRR 12.  It became BE&B 12 and became B-T 12.  It became BRyL&P Co 12 in 1917 and BECo 12 in 1924.

Cars 22 thru 30, even only, were built by Perley A. Thomas in 1913 for the BE&B. They came with the door arrangement shown since they were built about the time that the previous series of cars were rebuilt. They were also somewhat lighter. They remained in use until 1938, when 22, 24, and 30 were burned for scrap on June 14, 1938. 26 and 28 were given a reprieve by the war and were retired on the arrival of the PCCs. They were scrapped on March 26, 1948.

24 was built by Perley A Thomas in 1913 as BE&B 24.  It became B-T 24 and became BRyL&PCo 24 in 1917.  It became BECo 24 in 1924 and scrapped on June 14, 1938.

26 was built by Perley A Thomas in 1913 as BE&B 26.  It became B-T 26 and became BRyL&PCo 26 in 1917.  It became BECo 26 in 1924 and scrapped on March 26, 1948.

Cars 32 thru 50, even only, were the last of the BE&B cars and were delivered by Brill in 1913. They were almost identical to the 22 thru 30. On May 31, 1922, car 34 was destroyed in a collistion with a Seaboard train at 5th Avenue South at 52nd Street. Several people were killed. On June 14, 1938, cars 36, 38, 42, 46, and 48 were retired and scrapped. The others remained in service during the war and until retired when the PCCs arrived. They were retired on August 31, 1947, and sold for scrap on March 26, 1948.

46 was built by Brill in 1913, #18229, as BE&B 46.  It became B-T 46 and became BRyL&PCo 46 in 1917.  It became BECo 46 in 1924 and scrapped on June 14, 1938.

In 1919, Tennessee Coal, Iron & Railroad, part of U. S. Steel, built a 4 mile long line from the end of the Fairfield line to Westfield. They purchased 6 cars from Perley A. Thomas. In 1930 the line was acquired by BECo. Since the cars were similar to the so-called Tidewater cars, they were numbered 51 thru 56. 52, 54, 55, and 56 were sold for scrap on March 26, 1948. 51 and 53 were sold for scrap on April 28, 1948.

52 was built by Perley A Thomas in 1919 as TCI&R 52.  It became BECo 52 in 1930 and sold for scrap on March 26, 1948.

Cars 200 thru 220 were built by St. Louis Car Co in 1902 with convertible vestibules. These were made permanently closed in 1920. The sides were also steel sheathed over the original wood sides. 211 and 216 were scrapped in 1939. In August, 1944, 200, 201, 202, 203, 205, 206, and 208 were scrapped for the war effort. 207, 210, 215, 218 and 219 were scrapped in 1948. 212 was the last remaining car in 1951.

212 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1902.  It was rebuilt in 1920 and scrapped in 1951.

Cars 221 thru 230 were built by St. Louis Car in 1905 and were almost identical except that they were six feet longer. Their history was parallel with the shorter cars. In 1942, cars 221, 223, 225, and 227 were retired to serve as parts resources for the other cars. They were scrapped by 1946. 224, 226, 228, 229, and 230 were sold for scrap on March 29, 1948. 222 followed soon after on April 28, 1948.

224 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1905.  It was rebuilt in 1920 and sold for scrap on March 29, 1948.

Cars 280 thru 289 were purchased in 1923 from the Columbia (SC) Railway, Gas & Electric Co. They were built by St. Louis Car in 1917. The original numbers were 93 thru 99 and 117 thru 119. They ran on several lines for many years. 286 and 288 were scrapped in August, 1944. 282 and 284 were retired for parts about the same time. 280 and 283 went to scrap on March 29, 1948. The remainder were retired in late 1950 and scrapped over the next two years.

281 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1917 as Columbia Ry Gas & Electric Co 94.  It was sold as BRyL&P 281 in 1923 and became BECo 281 in 1924.  It was retired in 1950.

285 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1917 as CRG&E 98.  It was sold as BRyL&P 285 in 1923 and became BECo 285 in 1924.  It was retired in 1950.

289 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1917 as CRG&E 119.  It was sold as BRyL&P 289 in 1923 and became BECo 289 in 1924.  It was retired in 1950.

Cars 300 thru 309 were built by Wason Car Co as Springfield (Mass.) Street Ry. 544 thru 553. They were purchased by BECo in November, 1941, after the Springfield service as discontinued in June 1940 and were shipped to Perley A. Thomas Car who reworked them from the ground up. They were built into single end center door cars which were so popular in Birmingham since it allowed for segregation more efficiently. One unusual feature was the left side doors which allowed passengers to board and alight from the side away from the railroad tracks which paralleled the #6 Pratt-Ensley line. They were given the new paint scheme early in 1950, but they were retired in 1951 when Pratt-Ensley was abandoned. After storage, they were scrapped between 1951 and 1953.

300 was built by Wason Car Co as Springfield Street Ry 544.  It was rebuilt as 300 by Perley A Thomas Car in November 1941.

301 was built by Wason Car Co as SSRy 545.  It was rebuilt as 301 by Perley A Thomas Car in November 1941.

304 was built by Wason Car Co as SSRy 548.  It was rebuilt as 304 by Perley A Thomas Car in November 1941.

305 was built by Wason Car Co as SSRy 549.  It was rebuilt as 305 by Perley A Thomas Car in November 1941.

306 was built by Wason Car Co as SSRy 550.  It was rebuilt as 306 by Perley A Thomas Car in November 1941.

308 was built by Wason Car Co as SSRy 552.  It was rebuilt as 308 by Perley A Thomas Car in November 1941.

Cars 343 thru 351 were rebuilt in late 1923 from trailers in the 600 series, which had been built in the company shops in 1911. The trucks were change and a platform with controls was installed at one end. 345 and 352 were scrapped prior to 1944. In August, 1944, 346, 347, 348, and 350 were scrapped. Earlier, 343, 344, and 351 were converted to locker rooms for women employes. The windows were painted over and the seats removed. Otherwise they were complete. They were scrapped on March 29, 1948.

Cars 400 thru 412 and 414 thru 420 were built by Stephenson in 1900 for the Metropolitan RR of Washington, DC where they were part of an order for 40 cars numbered 700-739. Roy King advises that they were sold by the Metropolitan because the Senate District committee which ran the city until Lyndon's time literally forced them to. The influential people who lived on the Georgetown-Lincoln Park line complained bitterly of the noise they made when compared to what they replaced. He has Senate documentation of this. So in 1901 they arrived in Birmingham as the 400-420 less the 413. About 1910 they were rebuilt from a 5 window end to a 3 window end with wire gates. Later the platforms were closed in. Car 412 was wrecked in 1924. On March 1, 1935, cars 404, 407, 409, 411, 414, 416, 417, 419, and 420 were scrapped. 401 was burned in 1939. Cars 400, 402, 403, 405, 406, 408, 410, 415, and 418 were burned in 1940.

Cars 400 thru 418 were built by St. Louis Car Co. in 1927 as double truck Birneys 416 thru 435 for Houston Electric Co. where they ran until 1940. In 1941, BECo purchased the cars and had them sent back to St. Louis for rebuilding as single end, center entrance cars. They replaced the 280 series of cars on the Edgewood Line after a big ceremony on September 28, 1941. During the war, car 416 was wrecked and scrapped. 410 and 415 were sold for scrap on December 12, 1948. The remainder followed over the next several years.

402 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1927, order #1450, as Houston Electric Co 418.  It was sent to St Louis Car Co and rebuilt as BECo 402 in 1941. 

405 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1927, order #1450, as HECo 421.  It was sent to St Louis Car Co and rebuilt as BECo 405 in 1941.

415 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1927, order #1450, as HECo 431.  It was sent to St Louis Car Co and rebuilt as BECo 415 in 1941. 

416 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1927, order #1450, as HECo 432.  It was sent to St Louis Car Co and rebuilt as BECo 416 in 1941. 

Cars 419 thru 441 were built by Kuhlman Car Co in 1917 as part of an order for 60 Peter Witts for the Community Traction Co. of Toledo, OH. As Toledo converted their lines, 23 cars became surplus in 1942 and were purchased by BECo. The cars acquired were 806, 809, 810, 813, 816, 817, 818, 820, 821, 822, 824, 832, 833, 836, 841, 844, 847, 848, 851, 852, 853, 855, and 856. There is no record of how the cars were renumberd. The cross-seats and controller in the rear were replaced with transverse seating which allowed greater capacity. 437 was wrecked in 1944 and became a parts supply until it was scrapped in 1946. The last of these cars operated on August 30, 1947, and were sold for scrap as a group on March 29, 1948. The body of 419 was used as a shed for some years.

Cars 501 thru 520 were built by Cincinnati Car in May 1924, #2750. These were the first center door local cars and were built as lightweight cars without the curve side which Cincinnati featured at that time for their lightweights. The "center" door was placed about 2/3rd of the way to the back since this was the dividing line for segregation. The cars were large enough that they normally seated 40 in the white section and 22 in the rear part of the car. This could be changed by the movement of some stanchions and railings. In the late 1930s, the front platformw was lengthened an addional 29 inches to allow for double doors at the front and one man operation. The first cars became surplus after the PCCs arrived. 507, 508, 509, and 516 were sold for scrap on March 29, 1948. 506, 510, 512, 513, 514, 515, 518, and 519 were sold for scrap a month later on April 28, 1948. The remainder were scrapped over a period of time thru 1951.

501 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in May 1924, #2750.

502 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in May 1924, #2750.

504 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in May 1924, #2750.

505 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in May 1924, #2750.

518 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in May 1924, #2750.  It was scrapped on April 28, 1948.

Cars 521 thru 530 began as an order of 10 cars built by St. Louis Car in 1929 for the Lorain Street Ry. where they were 200 thru 209. In 1938, Lorain ended rail service, and the cars were purchased in 1939 and sent back to St. Louis for rebuilding. They retained their basic appearance except for seats, marker lights, and horns which were replaced with whistles. They became surplus in Birmingham in 1947 with the arrival of trackless trolleys and were scrapped over the next several years.

523 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1929 as Lorain Street Ry 202.  It was rebuilt by St Louis Car in 1939 as BECo 523.

530 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1929 as LSRy 209.  It was rebuilt as St Louis Car in 1939 as BECo 530.

Cars 538 thru 548 came from Stark Electric RR of Ohio in 1939 where they were 38 thru 48. They were standard Cincinnati curved side lightweight interurbans built in 1926 (41-48) and 1928 (38-40). They were rebuilt by Perley-Thomas and changes included single ending, center door, and the dash covering. All were scrapped by 1953.

538 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in May 1928, #2980 as SERR 38.  It was rebuilt as BECo 538 in 1939.

541 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in July 1926, #2915, as SERR 41.  It was rebuilt as BECo 541 in 1939.

542 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in July 1926, #2915, as SERR 42.  It was rebuilt as BECo 542 in 1939.

544 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in July 1926, #2915, as SERR 44.  It was rebuilt as BECo 544 in 1939.

546 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in July 1926, #2915, as SERR 46.  It was rebuilt as BECo 546 in 1939.

547 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in July 1926, #2915, as SERR 47.  It was rebuilt as BECo 547 in 1939.

548 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in July 1926, #2915, as SERR 48.  It was rebuilt as BECo 548 in 1939.

551 thru 566 were the last new cars purchased by BECo before the PCCs. They arrived from Cincinnati Car in December 1926. They were similar to the 501 thru 520 except they were built as one man cars and were more posh. The seats were green plush and spaced farther apart. The shades were silk. The finish was cherry wood. Stanchions were brushed aluminum. The exteriors were given a special blue and cream color. But this did not stop vandalizing and it was not long before the seats were replaced with regular wood seating. The color scheme was changed to the standard color scheme at the first repainting. They became the last standard cars operated after the PCCs arrived in 1947. 556 made the last non PCC run on July 14, 1952. They were all scrapped later that year and early in 1953.

551 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in December 1926, #2920.

559 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in December 1926, #2920.

564 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in December 1926, #2920.

566 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in December 1926, #2920.

570 thru 584 came from the Eastern Massachusetts Street Ry. in 1937. In 1927 they had purchased 50 cars, which were identical except for the seating, from two builders. Cars 7001 thru 7025 came from Osgood-Bradley, and 7026-7050 came from Wason. The cars which BECo got were 7006, 7007, 7008, 7015, 7017, 7018, 7019, 7020, 7029, 7030, 7037, 7038, 7044, 7045, 7050. These were sent to Perley Thomas for rebuilding. The cars had the usual double end configuration with end doors on the platforms. As rebuilt they were single end, center door cars. The seating and other items were upgraded and modernized. They began going into service in May, 1938. They began to be replaced in 1947 with PCCs and trolley coaches. On December 4, 1948, cars 574, 575, 577, 579, and 581 were sold for scrap. The other followed over the next 3 years.

572 was built by Osgood-Bradley Car Co in 1927 as EMSR 7008.  It was rebuilt by Perley Thomas in 1937.

576 was built by Osgood-Bradley Car Co in 1927 as ESMR 7019.  It was rebuilt by Perley Thomas in 1937.

585 thru 596 were built in 1926 by Kuhlman Car for the Wheeling Public Service where they were 101 thru 112. Service there was substituted on August 1, 1937, and the cars were purchased by BECo. They were sent to Perley Thomas for rebuilding into single end center door cars and were put into service in May, 1938. They were retired by 1947 and sold for scrap on April 28, 1948.

591 was built by Kuhlman Car Co in 1926, #911, as Wheeling Public Service Co 107.  It was rebuilt by Perley Thomas in May 1938 and sold for scrap on April 28, 1948.

596 was built by Kuhlman Car Co in 1926, #911, as WPS 118.  It was rebuilt by Perley Thomas in Mayy 1938 and sold for scrap on April 28, 1948.

First 800 thru 840 were Birneys purchased in two groups under the same order number from Cincinnati Car Co. 800 thru 820 came in 1919 and 821 thru 840 came in 1920. They were double end, single pole cars and were never very popular. By 1921, cars 801 thru 809, 811, and 815 thru 818 were converted to single end. They all served until the depression of the 1930s caused cut backs on the lighter lines. Many of the cars were gradually set aside. On August 24, 1937, cars 819 thru 829 were scrapped. Shortly afterwards, on January 20, 1938, cars 802, 804, 805, 809, 810, 813, and 814 were scrapped. Then, in August, 1941, cars 812, 816, 817, 830 thru 833, 835, and 838 were scrapped. A number of these car bodies were saved for non rail use, such as sheds and cabins. With the advent of WWII, no more cars were scrapped. 803, 811, and 815 wer converted to locker rooms for women employes. In 1944, 801, 806, 807, 808, 818, and 836 were scrapped. At the end of the war, there were five cars left, two in service and three as locker rooms. 803 was scrapped in 1947. When the PCCs were assigned 800 series number, the remaining four cars were renumbered by adding 2000 to their number. In 1948, the locker rooms were no longer needed, and 2811 went to scrap on March 29. 2815 went to scrap on April 28, 1948. The two remaining cars were used on the Wooward shuttle line. In 1948, 2834 was given the new paint scheme. 2837 was the standby. The Woodward line was discontinued in November, 1950, and missed being the last Birney line by a few months since Fort Collins, CO, outlasted it. 2834 was scrapped in March, 1951, and 2837 lasted until August.

817 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in November 1919, #2475.  It was rebuilt as single end and scrapped in August 1941.

819 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in November 1919, #2475.  It was scrapped on August 24, 1937.

825 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in November 1920, #2475.  It was scrapped on August 24, 1937.

834 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in November 1920, #2475.  It was renumbered 2834 in 1947 and scrapped in March 1951.

837 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in November 1920, #2475.  It was renumbered 2837 in 1947 and scrapped in August 1951.

Only two cities in the south bought PCC's, Birmingham and Dallas. Both bought from Pullman. Dallas got their double ended cars as a wartime allotment, but Birmingham purchased their 48 after the war in 1947. They only lasted for 6 years and then were sold to Toronto as their 4701-4748 series in class A-13.

On October 23, 1975, Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority, in Philadelphia, lost the Woodland Car House to fire. This left them with a shortage of cars, and they turned to Toronto for replacements. They purchased a number of the former Birmingham cars, but only activated 19 of them. Bill Volkmer gives us a list of the renumbering. The first number is the Birmingham number. The second is the Toronto number, and the third is the Philadelphia number.   826-4726-2307, 827-4727-2308, 828-4728-2309, 829-4729-2310, 830-4730-2311, 831-4731-2312, 832-4732-2313, 834-4734-2314, 840-4740-2315, 841-4741-2316, 844-4744-2317, and 846-4746-2318. They were not liked in Philadelphia and had a very short life when the last of the lines they served were abandoned by 1981.

801 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It became Toronto Transit Commission 4701, Class A-13, in 1953.

802 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4702, Class A-13, in 1953.

803 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4703, Class A-13, in 1953.

804 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4704, Class A-13, in 1953.

805 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4705, Class A-13, in 1953.

806 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4706, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority 2300 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in 1982.

807 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4707, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2301 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in October 1981.

808 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4708, Class A-13, in 1953.

809 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4709, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2302 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in December 1981.

810 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4710, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2304 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in March 1982.

811 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4711, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2305 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in October 1981.

812 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4712, Class A-13, in 1953.

813 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4713, Class A-13, in 1953.

814 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4714, Class A-13, in 1953.

815 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4715, Class A-13, in 1953.

816 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4716, Class A-13, in 1953.

817 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4717, Class A-13, in 1953.

818 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4718, Class A-13, in 1953.

819 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4719, Class A-13, in 1953.

820 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4720, Class A-13, in 1953.

821 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4721, Class A-13, in 1953.

822 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4722, Class A-13, in 1953.

823 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4723, Class A-13, in 1953.

824 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4724, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2306 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in October 1981.

825 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4725, Class A-13, in 1953.

826 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4726, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2307 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in 1982.

827 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4727, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2308 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in 1979.

828 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4728, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2309 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in August 1981.

829 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4729, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2310 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in 1982.

830 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4730, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2311 in April 1976.  It was scrapped in 1982.

831 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4731, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2312 in March 1976.  It was scrapped in October 1981.

832 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4732, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2313 in March 1976.  It was scrapped in 1979.

833 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4733, Class A-13, in 1953.

834 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4734, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2314 in Masrch 1976.  It was scrapped in 1981.

835 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4735, Class A-13, in 1953.

836 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4736, Class A-13, in 1953.

837 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4737, Class A-13, in 1953.

838 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4738, Class A-13, in 1953.

839 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4739, Class A-13, in 1953.

840 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4740 in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2315 in March 1976.  It was scrapped in 1979.

841 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4741 in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2316 in March 1976.  It was scrapped in 1981.

842 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4742, Class A-13, in 1953.

843 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4743, Class A-13, in 1953.

844 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4744, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2317 in March 1976.  It was scrapped in February 1982.

845 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4745, Class A-13, in 1953.

846 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4746, Class A-13, in 1953 and sold as SEPTA 2318 in March 1976.  It was scrapped in September 1981.

847 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4747, Class A-13, in 1953.

848 was built by Pullman in 1947, #W17245.  It was sold as TTC 4748, Class A-13, in 1953.

102 was built in the company shops in 1923 as a crane car. It was renumbered 2102 and rebuilt as a weed sprayer.

104 was built in the company shops in 1923 as a crane car.

108 was built in the company shops. in 1923.

109 was built in 1923 by Differential Steel Car.  It was renumbered 2109

110 was built in 1923 by Differential Steel Car.

120 was built in the company shops.

121 was built in the company shops.

123 was built in the company shops, probably from car parts, in 1928, as a rail grinder. It was renumbered 2123 and scrapped in 1953.

752 was built in the company shops as 752, an express motor, in approximate 1905. It was rebuilt as a line car as 3752.

754 was built in the company shops in 1912. It shows up in the background of PCC 818 which was photographed at the time of delivery.

100 thru 247 were trackless trolleys. They came on the scene at about the same time as the PCCs. Early in 1947, coaches 100 thru 184 were delivered by Pullman-Standard. 185 thru 247 were delivered in 1956. Actual operation did not begin until April 30, 1947. After this, many of the rail abandonments were converted to trolley coach. The last rail line went on April 19, 1953, with conversion to trackless trolleys, and a bus line was converted in 1956. But then the abandonments began, and the last electric coach ran on November 15, 1958. British Columbia Electric purhased 102, 108 thru 110, 114 thru 118, 120, 122 thru 133, and 137 thru 139 in 1956. Mexico City purchased in 116 thru 193, 195 thru 211, 215 thru 225, 227 thru 237, 239, and 241 thru 247 also in 1956. The others were sold for non transit purposes, such as sheds, cabins, etc. Thus ended electric transport in Birmingham.

126, 44T, was built by Pullman-Standard in 1947.  It was sold as British Columbia Electric Ry 2514 in 1956 and retired in 1961.

141, 44T, was built by Pullman-Standard in 1947.

142, 44T, was built by Pullman-Standard in 1947.

154, 44T, was built by Pullman-Standard in 1947.

182, 44T, was built by Pullman-Standard in 1947.

220, 44T, was built by Pullman-Standard in 1952.  It was sold as Servicio de Transportes Electricos del Distrito Federal 3218 in 1956.

An ex Birmingham unknown coach was taken at Vancouver.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

7/7/2015

Memorial of Saint Hedda of Wessex

Choose Life


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

Love your children.  In them you can see Baby Jesus.  Pray for them a lot and every day put them under Holy Mary's protection.

--St. Gianna Molla