Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

New York Central

Electric Locomotives

 

The New York Central had three electric divisions. The one in New York was the most familiar as it was opened in 1906 to eliminate the smoke problem when the Grand Central Terminal was built and the track put under ground. In Cleveland, the trains ran thru the city passenger terminal with electric locomotives operating as the Cleveland Union Terminal Co. In Detroit, the trains thru the tunnel to Windsor ran originally as the Michigan Central, but later were Detroit River Terminal after the MC was merged into the NYC in 1936. The DRT locomotives were tri power.

Here are pictures of some of the New York area locomotives.

100, Class S-1, was built by Alco-General Electric in October 1904, #29935, 2100, as NYC&HR 6000, Class T-1.  It was renumbered 3400 in 1905 and renumbered 3200 in September 1908.  It was rebuilt with 4 wheel leading trucks in 1909 as Class S-1 and renumbered 1100 in October 1917.  It was renumbered 100 in August 1936

101, Class S-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in July 1906, #29936, 2101, as NYC&HR 3401, Class T-2.  It was renumbered 3201 in September 1908 and rebuilt with 4 wheel leading trucks in 1909 as Class S-2.  It was renumbered 1101 in October 1917 and 101 in August 1936.  It was scrapped in December 1960.

110, Class S-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in September 1906, #29945, 2110, as NYC&HR 3410, Class T-2.  It was renumbered 3210 in September 1908 and rebuilt with 4 wheel leading trucks in 1909 as Class S-2.  It was renumbered 1110 in October 1917 and renumbered 110 in August 1936.  It was renumbered 4710 in 1966 and became Penn Central 4710, Class S-2, in 1968,

113, Class S-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in September 1906, #29948, 2113, as NYC&HR 3413, Class T-2.  It was renumbered 3213 in September 1908 and rebuilt with 4 wheel leading trucks in 1909 as Class S-2.  It was renumbered 1113 in October 1917 and renumbered 113 in August 1936.  It is now preserved at the Museum of Transport.

114, Class S-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in October 1906, #29949, 2114, as NYC&HR 3414, Class T-2.  It was renumbered 3214 in September 1908 and rebuilt with 4 wheel leading trucks in 1909 as Class S-2.  It was renumbered 1114 in October 1917 and renumbered 114 in August 1936.  It was scrapped in March 1956.

115, Class S-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in October 1906, #29950, 2115, as NYC&HR 3415, Class T-2.  It was renumbered 3215 in September 1908 and rebuilt with 4 wheel leading trucks in 1909 as Class S-2.  It was renumbered 1115 in October 1917 and renumbered 115 in August 1936.  It was renumbered 4715 in 1966 and became PC 4715, Class S-2, in 1968.  It is now preserved at the Illinois Railway Museum.

131, Class S-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in November 1906, #39736, 2456, as NYC&HR 3431, Class T-2.  It was renumbered 3231 in September 1908 and rebuilt with 4 wheel lead truck in 1909 as Class S-2.  It was renumbered 1131 in October 1917 and renumbered 131 in August 1936.  It was renumbered 4731 in 1966.

135, Class S-3, was built by Alco-General Electric in November 1908, #43290, 2874, as 3235, Class T-3.  It was rebuilt with 4 wheel lead truck in 1909 as Class S-3.  It was renumbered 1135 in October 1917 and 135 in August 1936.  It was scrapped in September 1955.

144, Class S-3, was built by Alco-General Electric in February 1909, #45299, 2883, as 3244, Class T-3.  It was rebuilt with 4 wheel lead trucks in 1909 as Class S-3.  It was renumbered 1144 in October 1917 and 144 in August 1936.  It was scrapped in May 1955.

151, Class Q, was built by Alco-General Electric in March 1926, #66414, 9804, as 1251.  It was renumbered 151 in August 1936 and scrapped in December 1955.

222, Class P-2b, was built by Alco-General Electric in January 1930, #67697, 10742, as Cleveland Union Terminal 1068, Class P-1a.  It was renumbered 218 in August 1936 and rebuilt by General Electric as NYC 222, Class P-2b, in 1955.  It was renumbered 4622 in 1966 and became PC 4622, Class P-2, in 1968.  It was retired, sold to Luntz Iron & Metal, and scrapped in February 1973.

223, Class P-2b, was built by Alco-General Electric in November 1929, #67685, 10730, as CUT 1056, Class P-1a.  It was renumbered 206 in August 1936 and rebuilt by General Electric as NYC 223, Class P-2b, in 1955.

224, Class P-2b, was built by Alco-General Electric in January 1930, #67696, 10741, as CUT 1067, Class P-1a.  It was renumbered 217 in August 1936 and rebuilt by General Electric as NYC 224, Class P-2b, in 1955.  It was renumbered 4624 in 1966 and became PC 4624, Class P-2, in 1968.  It was retired on February 1, 1971.

227, Class P-2b, was built by Alco-General Electric in January 1930, #67693, 10738, as CUT 1064, Class P-1a.  It was renumbered 214 in August 1936 and rebuilt by General Electric as NYC 227, Class P-2b, in 1955.

240, Class P-2b, was built by Alco-General Electric in November 1929, #67679, 10724, as CUT 1050, Class P-1a.  It was renumbered 200 in August 1936 and rebuilt by General Electric as NYC 240, Class P-2b, in 1955.  It was renumbered 4640 in 1966 and became PC 4640, Class P-2, in 1968.

250, Class T-1b, was built by Alco-General Electric in July 1913, #53782, 3841, as 1150.  It was renumbered 250 in August 1936 and retired in August 1954.

252, Class T-1b, was built by Alco-General Electric in August 1913, #53784, 3843, as 1152.  It was renumbered 252 in August 1936.

254, Class T-1b, was built by Alco-General Electric in August 1913, #53786, 3845, as 1154.  It was renumbered 254 in August 1936 and retired September 1959.

262, Class T-2a, was built by Alco-General Electric in May 1914, #54210, 4662, as 1162.  It was renumbered 262 in August 1936.

264. Class T-2b, was built by General Electric in May 1917, #5861, as 1164.  It was renumbered 264 in August 1936.

265, Class T-2b, was built by General Electric in June 1917, #5862, as 1165.  It was renumbered 265 in August 1936 and retired in September 1962.

267, Class T-2b, was built by General Electric in July 1917, #5864, as 1167.  It was renumbered 278 in August 1936,

274, Class T-3a, was built by Alco-General Electric in September 1926, #66706, 10063, as 1174.  It was renumbered 274 in August 1936.

276, Class T-3a, was built by Alco-General Electric in September 1926, #66708, 10065, as 1176.  It was renumbered 276 in August 1936.

279, Class T-3a, was built by Alco-General Electric in September 1926, #66711, 10068, as 1179.  It was renumbered 279 in August 1936.

282, Class T-3a, was built by Alco-General Electric in September 1926, #66714, 10071, as 1182.  It was renumbered 282 in August 1936.

300, Class R-a, was built by Alco-General Electric in September 1926, #66422, 9801, as 1200.  It was renumbered 300 in August 1936.  Unit 1 was rebuilt as slug NX5 in February 1945.  It was renumbered 450, Class DHT-1a, in April 1945.  Unit 2 was built in April 1945 as slug 451, Class DHT-1a.  Disposition of these slugs is unknown.

301, Class R-a, was built by Alco-General Electric in October 1926, #66423, 9802, as 1201.  It was renumbered 301 in August 1936.  Union 1 was rebuilt as slug 452, Class DHT-1a, in May, 1945. Unit 2 was rebuilt as slug 453, Class DHT-1a, in June, 1945.

302, Class R-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in December 1930, #68230, 11153, as 1202.  It was renumbered 302 in August 1936 and scrapped in January 1956.

307, Class R-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in December 1930, #68235, 11158, as 1207.  It was renumbered 307 in August 1936.

313, Class R-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in January 1931, #68241, 11164, as 1213,  It was renumbered 313 in August 1916 and scrapped in April 1955.

318, Class R-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in February 1931, #68246, 11169, as 1218.  It was renumbered 318 in August 1936 and sold to Chicago South Shore & South Bend for parts in 1955.

334, Class R-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in May 1931, #68262, 11185, as 1234.  It was renumbered 334 in August 1936 and sold to CSS&SB for parts in 1955.

335, Class R-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in May 1931, #68263, 11186, as 1235.  It was renumbered 335 in August 1936 and sold to CSS&SB for parts in 1955.

340, Class R-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in June 1931, #68268, 11191, as 1240.  It was renumbered 340 in August 1936 and sold to CSS&SB in 1955.  It was rebuilt as 705 in 1957 and scrapped in April 1976/

341, Class R-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in June 1931, #68269. 11192. as 1241.  It was renumbered 341 in August 1936 and sold to CSS&SB in 1955.  It was rebuilt as 706 in 1958 and scrapped in April 1976.

343, Class R-2, was built by Alco-General Electric in June 1931, #68271, 11194, as 1243.  It was renumbered 343 in August 1936 and sold to CSS&SB in 1955.  It was rebuilt as 704 in 1956 and scrapped in April 1976.

The changeover point from electric to steam north of New York was known as High Bridge at one time. Here is an early photo of steam power waiting to take over from electric pulled trains.

 

Cleveland Union Terminal


200, Class P-1a, was built by Alco-General Electric in November 1929, #67679, 10724, as 1050.  It was renumbered 200 in August 1936 and rebuilt by General Electric in 1955 as NYC 240, Class P-2b.  It was renumbered 4640 in 1966 and became Penn Central 4640, Class P-2, in 1968.

202, Class P-1a, was built by Alco-General Electric in November 1929, #67681, 10726, as 1052.  It was renumbered 202 in August 1936 and rebuilt by General Electric in 1955 as NYC 228, Class P-2b.  It was renumbered 4628 in 1966 and became PC 4628, Class P-2, in 1968.  It was scrapped in January 1973.

203, Class P-1a, was built by Alco-General Electric in November 1929, #67682, 10727, as 1053. It was renumbered 203 in August 1936 and rebuilt by General Electric in 1955t as NYC 242, Class P-2b. In 1966 it was renumbered 4642, and then became PC 4642, Class P-2, in 1968.

208, Class P-1a,  was built by Alco-General Electric in December 1929, #67687, 10732, as 1056. It was renumbered 208 in August 1936. In 1955 General Electric rebuilt it as NYC 238, Class P-2b. In 1966 it was renumbered 4638, and then it became Penn Central 4638, Class P-2, in 1968. It was scrapped in April, 1972.

210, Class P-1a, was built by Alco-General Electric in December 1929, #67689, 10734, as 1060.  It was renumbered 210 in August 1936.  In 1955 General Electric rebuilt it as NYC 231, Class P-2b. In 1966, it was renumbered 4631, and then it became Penn Central 4631, Class P-2, in 1968. It was scrapped in April, 1972.

211, Class P-1a, was built by Alco-General Electric in December 1929, #67690, 10735, as 1061 . It was renumbered 211 in August 1936. In 1955 it was rebuilt by General Electric as NYC 235, Class P-2b. In 1966 it was renumbered 4635, and then it became Penn Central 4635, Class P-2, in 1968. It was scrapped in May 1973.

213, Class P-1a, was built by Alco-General Electric in December 1929, #67692, 10737, as 1063. It was renumbered 213 in August 1936. In 1955 it was rebuilt by General Electric as NYC 233, Class P-2b. In 1966 it was renumbered 4633, and then became Penn Central 4633, Class P-2, in 1968.

 

218, Class P-1a, was built by Alco-General Electric in January 1930, #67697, 10742, as 1068. It was renumbered 218 in August 1936.  In 1955, it was rebuilt by General Electric as NYC 222 Class P-2a. In 1966 it was renumbered 4622, and then became Penn Central 4622, Class P-2, in 1968. It was scrapped in February 1973.

 

Since the Detroit area was served by tri-power locomotives, we cover them on a separate report.

 

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

12/31/2010

Memorial of Pope St. Sylvester I

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

O sing to the LORD a new song;

sing to the LORD, all the earth!

--Psalm 96:1