Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Key System

Older Interurban Cars

Everyone thinks of the bridge units when Key System is mentioned, but before they came, there were other cars which were interesting and somewhat unusual interurban cars. Here are a number of views of these cars with the history of each.

501 was built by St. Louis Car in 1903 as part of the first order. Some of the cars were motors and some were trailers, but the records are unclear which were either. Eventually they all became two-motor cars. Minor changes were made to the car until it was retired on November 18, 1937.

503 was built by St. Louis Car in 1903.  It was retired on May 26, 1937.

548, built at Emeryville in 1908 as a trailer. It was motorized in 1933 after the Key Pier fire due to a shortage of motor cars. It was retired March 29, 1938.

580 was built by St. Louis Car Co. in 1912. It was retired on February 14, 1938.

582 was built by St. Louis Car Co. in 1912. It was retired on March 15, 1938.

658 was built by American Car Co. in 1917. It was retired in approximately 1937.

664 was built at Emeryville from American Car parts in 1923. It was felt that the deck roof was too flimsy and this car and 663 were rebuilt with rounded roofs in 1925. This was never repeated. It was retired in approximately 1937.

678 was built at Emeryville from American Car Co. parts in 1925. It was retired in approximately 1937.

683 was built at Emeryville from American Car Co. parts in 1925. It was retired in approximately 1937.

687, built at Emeryville from American Car Co. parts in 1925. It was retired and scrapped in 1939.

688, built at Emeryville from American Car Co. parts in 1925. It was retired and scrapped in 1939.

When the Sacramento Northern abandoned passenger service in 1941, Key System picked up five of their cars. Here are a few of them.

495 was built by Holman Car Co. in 1912 as Oakland Antioch & Eastern Ry 1005. In 1920 it became San Francisco-Sacramento RR 1005, and in 1923 it became Sacramento Northern RR 1005. Key System renumbered the car as 495 when it was purchased from Hyman-Michaels Co., a scrap dealer, in March, 1942. It had been retired when the SN abandoned passenger service in July, 1941. 495 has been preserved by the Bay Area Electric Railway Association as Sacramento Northern 1005 since they acquired it in 1951.

496 was built by Holman Car Co. in 1912 as OA&E 1006. In 1920 it became SF-S 1006, and in 1923 it became SN 1006. Key System renumbered the car as  496 when it was purchased from Hyman-Michaels Co., a scrap dealer, in March, 1942. It had been retired when the SN abandoned passenger service in July, 1941. 496 was scrapped in 1951.

497 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in 1912 as OA&E Ry 1010. In 1920 it became SF-S 1010, and in 1923 it became SN 1010. It was purchased with the others in March 1942 and was scrapped in 1951.

499 was built by Hall-Scott Motor Car Co. in 1913 as OA&E Ry 1018. In 1920 it became SF-S 1018, and in 1923 it became SN 1018. Key acquired it in March 1942. It was scrapped in 1951. SN 1020 at Rio Vista is identical.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

12/1/2009

Memorial of St. Ansanus the Baptizer, of Rome

Choose Life


Home Page

 

Don's Depot

 

Finally the Immaculate Virgin, preserved free from all stain of original sin, when the course of her earthly life was finished, was taken up body and soul into heavenly glory, and exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things, so that she might be the more fully conformed to her Son, the Lord of lords and conqueror of sin and death

-- Lumen gentium 59