Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Portuguese Trams

 

Almada

Metro Transports do Sul

C008, Combino, was built by Siemens in 2007 for MTS but served as a demo.  It was sent to Melbourne during the Grand Prix but it was not accepted by Melbourne.


Braga

Camara Municipal de Braga

This 900mm system opened on October 19, 1914, succeeding mule car and steam dummy operations. It was designed by Thomson-Huston and therefore became the only line in Portugal to use bow trolleys. Final day of tram operation was May 20, 1963.

Cars 1 thru 8 were built in 1914 by Brill.

Car 9 thru 11 may have been built by Porto in the 1930s


Coimbra

Servicio Municipal de Coimbra

Carris de Ferro de Coimbra

Mule cars first appeared in Coimbra in 1874 and closed by 1885. A new mule line was opened in 1904 (900mm) as Companhia Carris de Ferrp de Coimbra,  It was replaced by electric operation began on January 1, 1911, under Camara Municipal de Coimbra, with 1000mm gauge.  The cars in use were apparently the original cars built by Brill in 1910. Rail service ended on September 1, 1980.

1 was built by Brill in 1911.  It was rebuilt in 1961 and was sent to Transportmuseum Coimbra in 1980.

2 was built by Brill in 1911.  It was retired in 1969.

3 was built by Brill in 1911.  It was rebuilt in 1959 and sent to the Museum in 1980.

4 was built by Brill in 1911.  It was rebuilt in 1969 and retired in 1978.  It was sent to the Museum in 1980.

5 was built by Brill in 1911.  It was rebuilt in 1967 and retired in 1980.  It was stored in derelict condition.

6 was built by Brill in 1912.  It was rebuilt in the 1960s and sent to the Museum in 1980.

7 was built by Brill in 1912.  It was rebuilt in the 1960s and retired in 1979.  It was stored in derelict condition.

8 was built by SMC in 1926 using a Brill truck.  It was retired in the 1970s and scrapped.

9 was built by Brill in 1927 as an open car.  It was shortly rebuilt as convertable in 1941 as closed car and rebuilt in 1971.  It was retired in 1980 and scrapped.

10 was built by Brili in 1927 as an open car.  It was shortly rebuilt as convertable in 1941 as closed car and rebuilt in 1957.  It was retired in 1980 and scrapped.

11 was built by Brili in 1927 as an open car.  It was shortly rebuilt as convertable in 1941 as closed car and rebuilt in the 1950s.  It was went to the Museum in 1980.

12 was built by Brili in 1927 as an open car.  It was shortly rebuilt as convertable in 1941 as closed car and rebuilt in 1957.  It was retired in 1979 and stored in derelict condition.

13 was built by Brili in 1927 as an open car.  It was shortly rebuilt as convertable in 1941 as closed car and rebuilt in 1966.  It was retired in 1980 and stored in derelict condition.

14 was built by Brill in 1928.  It went to the Museum in 1980.

15 was built by Brill in 1928.  It went to the Guarda-Inglese depot in 1980.

16 was built built by MAN and bodies by Familleureux in Belgium in 1931.  It was rebuilt about 1950 and retired in 1973.  It was preserved to the Museum.

17 was built built by MAN and bodies by Familleureux in Belgium in 1931.  It was rebuilt about 1950 and retired in 1973.  It was purchased by an individual.

18 was built built by MAN and bodies by Familleureux in Belgium in 1931.  It was rebuilt about 1950 and retired in 1973.  It was purchased by an individual.

19 was built by SMC in 1934.  It was scrapped in the 1970s.

20 was built by SMC in 1940.  It was retired in 1980 and stored in derelict condition.


Lisbon

Companhia Carris de Ferro de Lisboa

This company started operating mule trams in 1873 with 1435mm gauge.  It was electrified in 1901 and 1902 and built to 900mm as the cable and funiculars used. They are still operating 5 routes.

207 was built by CCFL in 1935. Trailer 105 was built by CCFL in 1950.

227 was built by CCFL in 1935.  It was rebuilt as 546 and renumbered 7.

236 was built by CCFL in 1935.  It was rebuilt as 544.

244 was built by CCFL in 1935.  It was rebuilt as 570 and renumbered 9.

251 was built by CCFL in 1935.

255 was built by CCFL in 1935.  It was rebuilt as 572.

257 was built by CCFL in 1935.  It was rebuilt as 569 and renumbered 11.

259 was built by CCFL in 1935.

266 was built by CCFL in 1935.  It was rebuilt as 564.

267 was built by CCFL in 1935.  It was rebuilt as 575.

276 was built by CCFL in 1935.

285 was built by CCFL in 1954.

334 was built by Brill in 1906.  It was rebuilt in 1931.

340 was built by Brill in 1906.  It was rebuilt in 1931.

348 was built by Brill in 1906.  It was rebuilt in 1931.

355 was built by Brill in 1906.  It was rebuilt as 10.

356 was built by Brill in 1906.

357 was built by Brill in 1906.

360 was built by Brill in 1906. It was sold to Manx Electric Ry for use as a shelter.

389 was an advertising car.

427 was built by St. Louis Car in 1900.

430 was built by St. Louis Car in 1900.  It received a totally new body in the 1950s.

435 was built by St Louis Car in 1900. It was rebuilt as a tourist tram and renumbered 2 in the 1950s.

437 was built by St Louis Car in 1900. It was rebuilt as a tourist tram and renumbered 1 in the 1950s.

481 was built by Brill in 1912.  It received a totally new body in the 1950s.

511 was built by CCFL in 1924. Trailer 168 was built by CCFL in 1950.

516 was built by CCFL in 1924. Trailer 168 was built by CCFL in 1950.

530 was built by CCFL in 1924.  It was sold to Lake Superior Museum of Transportation in 1978. along with car 531.

531 was built by CCFL in 1924.  It was sold to LSMofT in 1978 and resold as The Whitehorse Trolley in 1999.

532 was built by CCFL in 1928.  It was retired in 1990.

535 was built by CCFL in 1928.  It was retired in 1990.

539 was built by CCFL in 1928.  It was retired in 1990. Trailer 147 was built by CCFL in 1950.

548 was built by CCFL in 1928.  It was retired in 1990.

601 was built by CCFL in 1927.

616 was built by CCFL in 1935.

617 was built by CCFL in 1935.

706 was built by CCFL in 1936.

707 was built by CCFL in 1936.  It was rebuilt as 584 and renumbered 8.

708 was built by CCFL in 1936.  It was sold to a group at Braga where it was restored.  It is a restaurant.

714 was built by CCFL in 1936.  It was rebuilt as 583 and renumbered 5.

719 was built by CCFL in 1936.  It was rebuilt as 585 and renumbered 6.

723 was built by CCFL in 1936.  It was rebuilt as 4.

724 was built by CCFL in 1936.  It was rebuilt as 581.

726 was built by CCFL in 1936.  It was rebuilt as 3.

730 was built by CCFL in 1936.

803 was built by CCFL in 1939.

807 was built by CCFL in 1939.

905 was built by CCFL in 1947.

910 was built by CCFL in 1947.

The advertising for "Annie" completely blocked out the number.

504 was built by Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarrilles in 1995.

507 was built by CAF in 1995.

There is an excellent page on this system.


Porto

Servicio de Transportes Colectivos do Porto

Compania Carris de Ferro do Porto

Mule car service began on March 9, 1872. They were supplemented with a steam dummy tram in 1878 and closed in 1914.  Part of the route (Avenida da Boavista until Fonte de Moura) was already used by electric trams before 1914 sharing the tracks with the steam trams.  The major part of the route was closed (Fonteda Moura - Fox Cadoucos - Matosinhos Rue Sousa Arosa) and only a short part in Matosinhos (Rua Roberto Ivens) was electrified.  This last part was closed in 1930.

On September 12, 1895, electric service began, and the last mule car ran on September 22, 1904. In 1914 the steam tram was electrified. On July 1, 1946, CCFP was taken over by the city and became STCP. Beginning in 1967, tram lines were replaced by trolley buses and later by motor coaches. There is still one line running more as a tourist or heritage line.  It was taken over by the state as Sociedade de Transportes Colectivos do Porto.

122 was built by Brill in 1910 and retired in 1980. In 1981 it was shipped to San Francisco where it operated for a year. In 1983 it was sold to McKinney Avenue Transit Authority and shipped to Dallas, where it is in occasional service.

137 was built by Brill in 1910. In 1946 it was renumbered from 214 to 137. The platforms were extended and folding steps installed in 1950. It was sent to Santos, Brazil, in 2005, for Museu Vivo do Bonde.

144 was built by Brill in 1910. In 1946 it was renumbered from 190 to 144, and it was retired in 1986.

150 was built by Brill in 1912. In 1946 it was renumbered from 230 to 144, and it was retired in 1986.

156 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1933. In 1946 it was renumbered from 206 to 156, and it was retired in 1984. It was sold to Memphis Area Transit Authority as 156.

157 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1936. In 1946 it was renumbered from 217 to 157, and it was retired in 1989.

161 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1931. In 1946 it was renumbered from 241 to 161, and it was retired in 1983.

165 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1933. In 1946 it was renumbered from 265 to 165, and it was retired in 1986.

166 was built by Brill in 1909. In 1946 it was renumbered from 242 to 166, and it was retired in 1980.

169 was built by Brill in 1909, #16717. 

172 was built by CCFP in 1929. In 1946 it was renumbered from 292 to 172. In 1965 it was retired and sold to Railways to Yesterday at Rockhill Furnace, PA.

177 was built by CCFP in 1934. In 1946 it was renumbered from 317 to 177, and it was retired in 1967 and stored.

180 was built by CCFP in 1935. In 1946 it was renumbered from 320 to 180, and it was retired in 1989 and sold to MATA as 180.

187 was built by CCFP in 1936 and was never renumbered. It was retired in 1981 and was sold to MATA as 187.

189 was built by CCFP in 1929. In 1946 it was renumbered from 289 to 189, and it was retired in 1980 and sold to San Francisco Municipal Ry.

194 was built by CCFP in 1935. In 1986 it was retired and sold to Memphis Area Transit Authority as 194.

199 was built by CCFP in 1935. It was retired in 1989 and has been preserved at the ATL Museum in Bologna, Italy, since 1995.

203 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1942. It was renumbered from 248 in 1946 and is now used for rental services.

204 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1942. It was retired in 1989 and was sold to MATA.

212 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1939/40. It was renumbered from 172 in 1946 and sold as Compania de Tranvias de La Coruna 201 in 2005.

216 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1946. It was not renumbered and is currently in service.

221 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1940. It was renumbered from 176 to 221 in 1946 and scrapped in 2008/9.

222 was rebuilt by CCFP in 1939. It was not renumbered and is currently in storage.

258 was built by CCFP in 1927. It was not renumbered and was sold to Asociacion Amigos del Tranvia in Buenos Aires where it has become Compania Lacroze 258.

260 was built by CCFP in 1927.  It was sold to City of Yakima as 1776 in 1974.

270 was built by CCFP in 1928. It was not renumbered and is currently in storage.

273 was built by CCFP in 1928. In the mid 1990s it was sold to the National Tramway Museum in England.

274 was built by CCFP in 1928. It was renumbered from 268 in 1946 and was transferred to Museu do Carro Electricos in 1994.

275 was built by CCFP in 1928. It was renumbered from 269 in 1946 and then exchanged numbers with 277 in 1997.

277 was built by CCFP in 1926.  It was renumbered from 201 in 1946 and then exchanged numbers with 275 in 1997.  It is in storage.

288 was built by Familleureux in Nivelles in 1928. It was renumbered from 278 in 1947 after it was built and was retired in 1994.  It is now at the Museu do Carro Electrico.

373 was built by STCP in 1952 and retired in 1974. It is now at the Museu do Carro Electrico.

There is an excellent page on this system.


Sintra

Companhia Sintra-Atlantico

This 1000mm line was opened in 1904 and was completely restored in 1996.

The original name was the Companhia Cintra ao Oceano.  This company went bankrupt in 1914 and the tram went to a new company with the name of CSA.  In 1976 the line was by that time basically a bus operator became part of the state owned Rodovaria Nacional.  In 1995 the system went to Rodoviatia de Lisboa, a private company, and transfered part of their operations, including the trams, to Stagecoach.  In 2001, the tramline and cars went to Camera Municipal de Sintra.

1 and 3 were built by Brill in 1903.

5 was built by Brill in 1903 but rebuilt by CSA with the assistance by CCFL. It is stored in the Rieira depot.

6 was built by Brill in 1903.

10 and 14 were built by Brill in 1903 as trailers.

 

Information from Luis Manuel Almmeida, Ernst Kers

 

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

10/20/2016

Memorial of Saint Paul of the Cross

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

 

We must always remember that God does everything well, although we may not see the reason what He does.

-- St. Philip Neri