Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc. You can find it at Ebay as trinitydon .
This site is non-profit and non-commercial. We are free of advertising on
this site but there are costs in internet services. If you enjoy this
site, we do need support. We would
appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.
Photos Texas & Northern RR Lone Star Steel Co.
Don's Rail Photos
Texas & Northern RR
Lone Star Steel Co.
In 1943 the Lone Star Steel Company used government defense-plant money and private capital to build a blast furnace, coke ovens, and a beneficiation plant near Daingerfield. The project was designed to produce pig iron by the orthodox method, using limestone from nearby sources and coke made from Oklahoma coal. While the company sought a federal loan to build a cast-iron plant and steel mill at the site, the Daingerfield plant began shipping beneficiated ore to Houston, St. Louis, and Birmingham. By the war's end the steel mill had not been completed, but the company leased the facility and certain Oklahoma coal mines with an option to buy the properties within two years. Production of pig iron began in the fall of 1947, and in 1948 the firm purchased the $35 million plant from the War Assets Administration. In July 1949 the Reconstruction Finance Corporation granted Lone Star Steel a loan of $34 million to complete a steel mill, contingent on its investment of $22 million of its own. The company's plans called for four open-hearth steel furnaces and a mill for making electric-weld steel line pipe and oil-well casing. Ores were mined in the immediate vicinity of the plant in Morris County in the 1950s. In 1953 the completed plant was finally put into operation producing steel ingots and steel pipe, and in 1954 and 1956 expanded its steel-making capacity. In 1961, after borrowing $40 million from an insurance company, the company repaid the last of the more than $87 million it had borrowed from the government. In 1965 the Philadelphia and Reading Corporation, a New York holding company, bought 73 percent of the Texas firm's stock, and in 1966 acquired the firm's assets. Lone Star was reorganized as a subsidiary of Philadelphia and Reading, and continued in operation using Texas ores and importing coal from Oklahoma.
Wayne Gard and Diana J. Kleiner
The Texas and Northern Railroad was chartered on August 4, 1948, to acquire the existing private railroad of the Lone Star Steel Company. The railroad extended from Veal's Switch (now known as Daingerfield) on the Louisiana and Arkansas to the steel mill at Lone Star. The steel mill and railroad were originally built by the Defense Plant Corporation in 1942-43 and subsequently acquired by Lone Star Steel. The railroad had a capital stock of $550,000. The principal place of business was Lone Star. The members of the first board of directors were John D. McCall, Paul B. Horton, E. Wilson Germany, and J. B. Burleson, all of Dallas; and Jimmie D. Moore of Daingerfield. In 1953 the Texas and Northern reported total gross earnings of $1,341,000 and owned eight locomotives and 108 cars; it also rented a portion of its rolling stock. In 1972 it reported a total net income of $1,507,000 and owned fifteen locomotives and 888 cars. In 1990 its revenue range was under $5,000,000, and it had eight miles of track. By then the line primarily hauled waste and scrap, primary metals (i.e. pipe and other output of Lone Star Steel), and chemicals.
Nancy Beck Young
The histories came from the The Handbook of Texas Online.
T&N 1, slug.
T&N 2, slug.
T&N 3, slug.
LSS 4, S3, was built by Alco in January 1952, #79537.
T&N 10, S4, was built by Alco in June 1951, #78802.
T&N 13, S4, was built by Alco in October 1950, #78240, as Delaware & Hudson 3046, Class DES-69. It was reclassified Class S-10 in 1959 and sold to Altoona Freight Car Parts on November 1, 1966. It was sold as T&N 13 in November 1966.
T&N 16, S4, was built by Alco in September 1950, #76232, as D&H 3038, Class DES-69. It was reclassified Class S-10 in 1959 and sold to Altoona Freight Car Parts on June 12, 1968. It was sold as T&N 16 in November 1966.
T&N 18, S4, was built by Alco in April 1951, #78274, as Houston Belt & Terminal 21. It was sold as T&N 18 on June 1, 1971.
T&N 19, S4, was built by Alco in April 1951, #78273, as HB&T 20. It was sold as T&N 19 on June 1, 1971.
T&N 24, S2, Class 2322, was built by Alco in November 1943, #70064, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 2340, Class 2322. It was retired on December 19, 1975, and sold as TN 24. It later became LSS 24.
T&N 43, RS1, was built by Alco in March 1950, #77855, as Illinois Terminal RR 754, Class ARS-10. It was renumbered 1054 in 1968 and sold to Gulf Mobile & Ohio as 1054 in March 1970. In 1972 it was assigned Illinois Central Gulf 1264 and was sold to T&N in 1976. It was rebuilt as T&N 43 on March 16, 1979.
T&N 44, RS1m, was built by Alco in April 1945, #73335, as GM&O 1105. It became ICG 1269 and retired on February 12, 1976. It was rebuilt as T&N 44.
T&N 45, S4m, was built by Alco in July 1952, #79814, as AT&SF 1525, Class 1500. It was retired on July 21, 1977, and sold as T&N 29 and rebuilt as 45 on October 18, 1979.
T&N 46, S4m, was built by Alco in June 1951, #78799, as Minnesota Transfer Ry 103. It was sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive and resold as T&N 17 in 1970. It was rebuilt in July 28, 1980, as 46 and sold as Chaparral Steel Corp 103. It was renumbered 240.
T&N 50, S4m, was built by Alco.
LSS 53, S4m, was built by Alco in June 1953, #80616, as AT&SF 1533, Class 1500. It was retired on April 14, 1978, and rebuilt as LSS 53.
LSS 55, S4m, was built by Alco in May 1951, #78687, as AT&SF 1500, Class 1500. It was retired on June 21, 1977, and heavily rebuilt and re-engined as LSS 55 on March 30, 1981.
LSS 56, S4m, was built by Alco in July 1952, #80059, as AT&SF 1526, Class 1500. It was retired on April 15, 1976, and heavily rebuilt and re-engined, as LSS 56 on April 30, 1981.
T&N 992, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1951, #13733, FD 3095-A7, as AT&SF 262L, Class 200, an F7A. It was retired on July 10, 1974, and was rebuilt at Cleburne as 2501, Class 2417, on September 7, 1974. It was later sold to National Railway Equipment on December 7, 1987, and then to T&N as 992 in February 1988.
T&N 993, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1949, #7760, FD E1049-A15, as AT&SF 209L, Class 200, an F7A. It was rebuilt at Cleburne in March 1974 as 2530, Class 2417. It was retired in June 1987 and was sold to National Ry Equipment Co on December 7, 1987. They sold it to T&N as 993 in February 1988.
T&N 994, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1953, #18930, FN6523-A20, as AT&SF 278C, Class 200, an F7A, It was rebuilt at Cleburne in October 1973 as 2550, Class 2417. It was retired in June 1987 and sold to National Ry Equipment Co on December 7, 1987. They sold it to T&N as 994 in February 1988.
T&N 995, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1948, #7800, FN E1104-A2, as AT&SF 200C, Class 200, an F3A. It was rebuilt at Cleburne on September 30, 1970, as 2646, Class 2417. It was retired in June 1987 and sold to National Ry Equipment Co on December 7, 1987. They sold it to T&N as 995 in February 1988.
T&N 996, RS3m, was built by Alco in July 1952, #80128, as Gulf Mobile & Ohio 1522. It became Illinois Central Gulf 1522 in 1972 and sold to Texas & Northern in 1979. It was later rebuilt as 996 and sold as J D Heiskell Co 1886.
T&N 997 GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1952, #14433, FN 5093-5, as Denver & Rio Grande Western 5108, Class DE B-B 60.. It was retired in March 1984 and sold to Mid-America Car Co on June 20, 1984 and it was sold as Kyle RR 5108. It was sold as T&N 997.
T&N 998, MP15, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1976, #756085-1, FN 756085-1.
T&N 999, MP15, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1976, #756085-2.
T&N 1500, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1972, #7343-4, as Missouri Pacific 1521. It became Union Pacific 1321 on June 1, 1988, and retired on March 28, 1994. It was sold to Helm Leasing and rebuilt by Metro East Industries as HLLX 1500. It was sold as T&N 1500.
T&N 1510, MP15AC, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1978, #776117-2, as Kennecott Minerals Corp 704. It was renumbered Kennecott Corp 123 on January 15, 1984, and stored April 8, 1988. It was owned by Helm and sold as Gateway Western RR 1510 in August 1995. It was sold as T&N 1510.
WebWork by rinity
Memorial of Blessed Edmund Daniel, martyred by Anglicans in 1572
Many live like angels in the midst of the world. Why not you?
---St. Josemaria Escriva
Many live like angels in the midst of the world. Why not you?
---St. Josemaria Escriva