Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

The Milwaukee Electric Ry. & Light Co.

The Milwaukee Electric Ry. & Transport Co.

Kenosha Motor Coach Lines

 

Kuhlman Interurbans

 

The third group of interurbans purchased by TMER&L were quite unusual even though they appeared similar to the previous two orders. These were the only cars ordered from Kuhlman. Fifteen cars were ordered for Milwaukee, and an additional six cars were ordered for the Wisconsin Traction Light Heat & Power lines out of Appleton. Previous cars were wood construction, but these were built like railroad gondolas with a wooden canopy. The sides were heavy steel plate and the wooden window posts and body corner and end posts were bolted to them. The floor was concrete. They were heavy. As built, they operated on 600v DC or 3300v AC. This added even more weight with the necessary electrical equipment. That was short lived as the AC was switched over to 1200v DC the same year the cars arrived.

These cars, with the ten cars built earlier by St. Louis, provided most of the mainline interurban service. The 1000s were relegated to local runs.

In 1924, the Appleton cars were brought to Milwaukee in trade from some rebuilt 600s. It was decided that modernization was needed similar to the modernization that was done to the Milwaukee Northern cars. Four cars were selected for conversion to coaches and two were converted to deluxe parlor cars. The rest of the Kuhlmans followed except for one which was not completed.

The rebuilding drastically changed the appearance, but it was not as dramatic as it looked. The deck roof was carried forward to a railroad style roof on the ends of the cars. Window posts were changed to provide for double window placement. The ends were changed from two window to two window and a door. The rest was in the finish including the attractive pullman green with yellow trim. Of course, the seats (bucket), light fixtures, etc. went a long way to make these superb comfortable cars.

Several cars were sold to the London & Port Stanley in 1941. The remaining cars were sold to Kenosha Motor Coach Lines in 1946. They became the property of the Milwaukee Rapid Transit & Speedrail in 1949. In 1952 they were scrapped. Here are individual cars.

1111 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1926. It got the yellow paint scheme during WWII. It was usually called the "Four Aces".

1112 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1926. It was one of three sold for scrap in January 1952, before the rest of the cars.

1113 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1926. It remained in the formal green and yellow until the end.

1114 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1926. It remained green until sold for scrap in January 1952.

1115 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1926. During WWII it got a special War Bond scheme, and then was repainted in the yellow scheme.

1116 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1926. It was the third car sold for scrap in January 1952.

1117 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405,  It was rebuilt in 1926 and got the yellow paint scheme in the early 1940s.

1118 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1926.

1119 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1926. On August 24, 1949, it ran into the rear end of 1143 at Soldiers' Home after the 1143 backed up thru a signal. The 1143, which was all steel, rode up into the front half of the 1119 which virtually became a gondola. Nineteen people were injured, including some who were critical, but no one died. Both cars were hauled to the Waukesha gravel pit where the 1119 was scrapped the next year. The accident occurred 9 days before the line was sold to Speedrail. The "gondola" construction is apparent in the picture after the wreck.

1120 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in late 1926 or early 1927. It represented a minor change in the way the letter board was handled on the left hand side of the car. You can see this above the second window. During WWII it got an unusual version of the yellow scheme which gave it the nickname of "The Spitball".

1121 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1927. It was equipped with GE-207B motors to allow it to pull trailers. In 1949 it was found to have the best wheels, and thus it was selected for the fantrip on the North Shore Line to Green Bay Junction near Rondout. It was also used as a freight motor after the last regular freight motor was wrecked in 1950.

1122 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1927 and was equipped with GE-207B motor. The "Lake Geneva" sign was a railfan trip "what if".

1123 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1927 and was equipped with GE-207B motors.

1124 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was rebuilt in 1927 and was equipped with GE-207B motors.

1125 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #405.  It was never finished after rebuilding was started. It was retired officially on November 10, 1938.

1126 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #413, as Wisconsin Traction Light Heat & Power Co 103. It was rebuilt in 1924 with St. Louis trucks rather than the Standard C80P. These were replaced with Baldwin 84-34AA trucks. It was retired on April 29, 1941, and was stored at Oakland car station until it was scrapped in 1948. It never became KMCL.

1127 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #413, as WTLH&P 105. The history was the same as 1126.

1128 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #413, as WTLH&P 101. It was rebuilt in 1924 with St. Louis 23AE trucks which were replaced with Baldwin 84-34AA. It was retired on April 29, 1941, and was scrapped in 1948.

1129 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #413, as WTLH&P 104. It was retired on April 29, 1941, and sold to London & Port Stanley Ry. who numbered it 21 and operated it as a control trailer. With the abandonment of the L&PS in 1955, your author was part of a committee of Illinois Electric Ry Museum which went to London to ship this car and the 1135 back. It was repainted as TM 1129 and is now undergoing restoration at Union, IL.

1135 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #413, as WTLH&P 102. It was rebuilt in 1924 as parlor car 2, "Menominee". In 1927, it was renumbered 1135. It was seldom used after that, and in 1941 it was converted to a coach and sold to the London & Port Stanley in Canada as 16. With the abandonment of L&PS passenger service in 1955, this car and the 1129 were shipped back. It was thought that the 1135 had been the "Mendota" which was car 1, but members of the IRM found the true identity when working on the car in 1970. It is currently undergoing restoration at Union, IL.

1136 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #413, as WTLH&P 106. It was rebuilt in 1924 as parlor car 1, "Mendota". In 1927, it was renumbered 1136. Like the 1135, it was seldom used and was sold to the L&PS in 1941 as coach 18. It was sold as a summer cottage in 1955 when the L&PS abandoned passenger service.

And here is what might have been.

And if it had lasted even longer------

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

3/31/2014

Memorial of Saint Abda

Choose Life


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

The greatest honor God can do a soul is not to give it much, but to ask much of it.

-- St. Therese of Lisieux