Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Indiana Trolley Lines

Beech Grove Traction Co.

This line was not really an interurban since it ran from downtown Indianapolis for 6 miles to Beech Grove, which is barely outside the Indianapolis city limits. It looped south of the business district and never made it to the Traction Terminal.

It was built in 1911 and lasted until late 1937 with a 10 cent fare. It was finally closed when Indianapolis Railways cut off its power for non-payment. The original cars were said to be former Winona RR cars.

404 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in June 1923, #2740.

501 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in December 1922, #2665, as Cincinnati Georgetown & Portsmouth Ry 501.  It was sold as BGT 501 in 1927.

502 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in December 1922, #2665, as CG&P 501.  It was sold as BGT 501 in 1927.

205 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in 1928, #2985, as Indianapolis & Southeastern RR 205.  It was sold as BGT 205 in 1935.

220 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in 1928, #2985, as I&SE 220.  It was sold as BGT 220 in 1935.


Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co.

Calumet Railways

Hammond Whiting & East Chicago Ry.

We have a separate page on this system.


Chicago-New York Electric Air Line RR

This company proposed in 1906 to build a double track electric railroad in a straight line from Chicago to New York. Passengers would be hauled behind streamlined electric locomotives at an average speed of 75 miles per hour. Towns near the route would be served by branch lines. The first construction was the branch from La Porte to South La Porte and was opened in 1907. Construction on the main line began in 1907 and completed 15 miles by 1911 between South La Porte and Goodrum. Ties were placed for third rail, but "temporary" overhead wire was installed over the single track which was off center to allow for double track. Two standard interurban combines were purchased with Chicago painted on one end and New York on the other end. One of the cars lasted until 1948 in service on the Milwaukee Electric.

At Goodrum there was a connection to Gary.

Promotion came thru a publication called Air Line News which was offered free. Most of the investors were individuals who had little experience. "The Air Line Stockholders' Association of the World" was formed and local meetings were held in some 50 locations. But the company went bankrupt in 1915. Parts of the line were taken over by Gary Railways, but the 15 mile super railroad was abandoned in 1917.

Seth Bramson came across a post card mailer offering a free subscription to Air Line News.

401 was built by Niles in 1907 as Goshen South Bend & Chicago 401. This line was known as the Chicago-New York Air Line. It became Gary & Interurban 401 and was sold to the Milwaukee Northern in 1920 and rebuilt as 51. In 1930 it was rebuilt as The Milwaukee Electric Ry & Light Co 1103 for used on the Rapid Transit. It was repainted in 1943, retired in 1947, and scrapped in 1948. It was the last wood interurban to operate in regular service in Wisconsin.


Chicago South Shore & South Bend

Chicago Lake Shore & South Bend

Index.  


Evansville & Ohio Valley Ry.

Southern Indiana Gas & Electric Co.

We have a full page on this line.


Fort Wayne & Decatur Traction Co.

103 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1917. It was sold and rebuilt as Indiana Service Corp 327 in 1927 and became Indiana RR as 327 in 1932. It was retired in 1937.


Fort Wayne & Indiana Traction Co

506 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1917.  It became Indiana Service Corp 506 in 1920 and sold as St Petersburg Municipal Ry 118 in 1942.

507 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1917.  It became ISC 507 in 1920 and sold as SPM 119 in 1942.

508 was built by St. Louis Car Co in 1917.  It became ISC 508 in 1920. It came to Cornwall Street Ry as 33 in 1945.


Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Co.

Fort Wayne & Northern Traction Co.

148.

302 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in May 1906. #550.  It became Indiana Service Corp. 302 in 1920.

504 "Talisman" was built by Cincinnati Car Co in March 1905, #315.  It became ISC 354 in 1920 and Indiana RR 354 in 1930.  It was retired in 1932 and the body became a home.  It was recovered by Illinois Railway Museum 1991 and restored as 504.


Fort Wayne-Lima RR

33.

35.

91 through 96 were built by St. Louis Car in May, 1923, under order 1314A. When the line was abandoned in 1932, Oklahoma Rys acquired 92 through 96 and put 4 into service as 221 through 224. 91 became a cottage and the body was acquired by Illinois Railway Museum in 1988.


Gary Railways

This has a full page on this line.


Indianapolis & Cincinnati Traction Co.

Indianapolis & Southeastern RR

We have a full page on this line.


Indianapolis & Eastern Ry.

65 was built by Kuhlman Car Co in 1903, #183.  It became Terre Haute Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Co 65 in 1907 and rebuilt in 1910.  It was rebuilt in 1923 as 67 "Earlham" in 1923 and scrapped in 1933.


Indianapolis & Louisville Traction Co.

203 was built by Niles in 1907.  It became Intersate Public Service Co 304 in 1912 and rebuilt by AC&F in 1920.  It went to Indiana RR as 304 in 1930 and retired in 1939.


Indianapolis Columbus & Southern Traction Co.

102 was built by American Car & Foundry in 1907. It became Intersate Public Service Co 302 in 1912 and rebuilt by AC&F in 1920. It went to Indiana RR as 302 in 1930 and retired in 1939.


Indiana Railroad

Heavyweight Passenger Cars.

Lightweight Passenger Cars.

City and Suburban Cars.

Freight and Non-Revenue Equipment.


Indiana Service Corp.

We have a full page on this line.


Indiana Union Traction Co.

274 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in 1903, #155.  It was burned in 1907.


Interstate Public Service Co.

We have a full page on this line.


Lafayette Street Ry.

LSRy was organized in 1922 and picked up the lines from Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Co.  It ended service on March 14, 1940.

10 was built by Brill Car Co in May 1922, #21481.  It was retired in 1940.

12 was built by Brill Car Co in May 1922, #21481.  It was retired in 1940.

27 was built by Brill Car Co in October 1922, #21615.  It was retired in 1940.

51 was built by Laconia Car Co in 1907 as Chicago South Bend & Northern Indiana Ry 219.  It was purchased as LSRy 51 in 1922 and retired in 1940.


Lebanon & Thornton Traction Co.

The 10 mile line was open in July 1905 with 2 cars.  It was a connection from the THI&E and ended operation on July 6, 1926.

15 "Dorothy" was built by Cincinnati Car Co in January 1905, #325.  It was sold to Terre Haute Indianapolis & Eastern as 10 in 1926 and became Indiana RR 10 in 1931 for a short time.

17 "Francis" was built by Cincinnati Car Co in January 1905, #325.  It was reported that it was sold as THI&E 11 but there are questions.


Marion Railways

We have a full page on this line.


Northern Indiana Ry.

We have a full page on this line.


Singer Sewing Machine Co.

3 was built by General Electric in 1898.  It was purchased by Bob Selle in 1955 when the plant was closed and it was brought to North Chicago, IL, where it was stored with the Illinois Electric Railway Museum.  When Bob moved back to Indiana, it was sent to the Indiana Transportation Museum who show it as 1 in error.


Terre Haute Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Co.

We have a full page on this time.

 

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

3/16/2017

Memorial of Saint Largus of Aquileia

<><

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

My prayer is that the good God may establish His absolute reign in your heart and in the hearts of all.

-- St. Julie Billiart