Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Under Construction 

Illinois Short Lines and Industrial Railroads

 

Acme Steel Corp.

17, SW1001, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1974, #74627-1.  It was sold as Cleveland Works Ry 217.

18, SW1001, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1974, #74627-2  It was sold as CWRO 218.


Agri Grain Marketing Co.

We have a full page on this food company.


Agri Industries

We have a full page on this food company.


Allied Structural Steel Co.

They had a well maintained un-numbered Plymouth.


Alter Recycling Co.

We have a full page on this scrap company.


Alton & Southern RR

We have a full page on this switching road.


Alton Barge Terminal

33, T6, was built by Alco in July 1959, #83375, as Norfolk & Western 33. It was retired in September 1985 and sold to Cycle Systems in September 1987. They sold it to Mike's Inc who sold or leased it to ABT.


Amaizo Rail Switching Service

4907, NW2, was built in March 1949, #7425, as Pittsburgh & Lake Erie 8747, Class DES-13e. It was reclassified as ES-10 in 1966 and sold to Precision National Corp. They sold it to Chicago Rock Island & Pacific as 4907 in November 1971. It was sold to Chrome Locomotive in February 1981. They sold it to Amaizo as 4907 in November 1984. It was returned to Chrome in March 1986.


American Steel Foundries Co.

We have a full page on this company.


Atkinson Coal Co.

9.

10 was built by Chicago Rock Island & Pacific in 1903 as 105.  It was later sold as ACCo 10.


Aurora DeKalb & Rockford Electric Traction Co.

Chicago Aurora & DeKalb RR

This line began as a steam freight and gas car operation but became an electric line.


Aurora Elgin & Fox River Electric Co.

This line started as a traction line and ended as a short line. 


Bell & Zoller Coal Co.

3658 was built by Baldwin in May 1914, #41373, as Illinois Central 1501, a 2-8-2.  It was rebuilt as 3458, a 0-8-2, in January 1942.  It was renumbered 3658 in June 1942 and sold to Bell & Zoller Coal Co as 3658 in June 1957.


Belt Railway of Chicago

We have a full page on this switching road.


Bloomer Line Connecting RR

91, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1958, #24060, as Northern Pacific 370.  It became Burlington Northern 1949, Class GP-9, in 1970 and sold to Azcon Corp in May 1983.  They sold it as BLOR 91 in July 1985,

92, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1956, #20981, as New York Central 5968, Class DRS-9d.  It was renumbered 7368, Class ERS-17, in 1966 and became Penn Central 7368, Class ERS-17, in 1968.  It became Consolidated Railroad Corp 7368, Class GP-9, in April 1976, and retired on May 3, 1988.  It was sold to General Electric and sold as BLOR 92 in 1991.  It was sold as Taloma Farmers Grain Co as TFGX 92 in 1996.

7549, GP9u, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1955, #20932, as NYC 5943, Class DRSP-9c.  It was renumbered 7515, Class ERS-17s, in 1966 and became PC 7515, Class ERS-17s, in 1968.  It was rebuilt as 7343, Class ERS-17, in 1970 and became Conrail 7343. Class GP-9, in April 1976.  It was rebuilt at Paducah as 7549, Class GP-10, in 1978 and sold as BLOR 7549.

7561, GP9u, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1956, #22669, as NYC 6002, Class DRS-9e.  It was renumbered 7402, Class ERS-17. in 1966 and became PC 7402, Class ERS-17, in 1968.  It became Conrail 7402, Class GP-9, in April 1976.  It was rebuilt at Paducah as 7561, Class GP-10, in 1978 and sold as BLOR in 7561.


I. Bork & Sons Co.

1623, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1953, #18983, as Chicago Burlington & Quincy 267. It became BN 1623, Class GP-7, in 1970 and was sold to IB&SCo in December 1983. It was sold to East Camden & Highland as 65 in March 1985 and later sold to Great Western Ry as 715 in January 1991.

9061, S2, was built by Alco in October 1948, #76181, as Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal 517, Class DS-5a. It was renumbered 9061, Class SA-3, in 1957 and reclassified as Class S-2 in 1964. It was transferred to Baltimore & Ohio as 9061, Class S-2, in late 1960s. It was sold to Naporano Iron & Metal Co on June 25, 1976, and sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive. It was assigned to Kentucky & Tennessee RR as 105 in July 1978, but not sold except as George R Silcott Co. It was then sold to IB&Sco as 9061 on January 23, 1979.


Brookfield Park Zoo

 We have a picture of one of their engines on the Sandley page.


Cairo Terminal RR

102, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1950, #11783, as New York Central 616, Class DES-5d.  It was renumbered 8442, Class ES-6, in 1966 and became Penn Central 8442, Class ES-6, in 1968,  It became Consolidated Railroad Corp 8442, Class SW-1, in April 1976 and sold as CTML 102.


Canton RR

1998, 45 Ton, was built by Whitcomb in 1935, #50010, for Barber Asphalt Co.  It was sold to United Electric Coal Co and donated for display as Canton RR.


Central Illinois Light Co.

No number, 110 Ton, was built by General Electric on December 1970, #37605.


Central Illinois Public Service Co.

2 was built by Porter in 1929, #7152, and has been preserved for display.

5 was built by Porter in July 1945, #7995. It was donated to the MidContinent Railway Museum in 1964 and later sold as Crab Orchard & Egyptian 5.  It was converted to a tender locomotive and was later sold to the St. Louis Iron Mountain & Southern as 5.

6 was built by Vulcan in 1923, #3376. It was donated to the MCRM in 1964.

7 was built by Alco-Schenectady in December 1913, #54075, as New York Central 621, Class B-11k. It was renumbered 6721 in 1936 and later sold to CIPS as 7. It was donated to the MCRM in 1964 and then sold to Utica & Mohawk Valley Chapter, NRHS, in Utica, NY, where it is on display.

8, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric in December 1957, #33024.


Chicago & Illinois Midland

 Steam Locomotives.

Diesel Locomotives.

Rolling Stock.


Chicago & Illinois Western

One of the little known switching roads in the Chicago area was the C&IW which served the industries of Harvester, Hawthorne, and Gary. It was primarily owned by the Illinois Central and Commonwealth Edison. I would appreciate more history and the current status.

701 was built by Alco in March, 1914, #54627. It was later sold to Clapp Riley & Hall Equipment Co, who sold it to Consumers Co. as 701. It is now at the MidContinent Railway Museum at North Freedom, WI.

801 was built by Baldwin in July 1926, #59371.  It was transferred as Illinois Central 3570  in 1951 and was retired in February 1960.

802 was built by Baldwin in July 1926, #59372.  It was transferred as IC 3571  in 1950 and was sold as Jackson Ready Mix 5971  in 1960.

803 was built by Lima in June 1929, #7372.  It was transferred as IC 3572  in 1951 and was sold as Louisiana Eastern 29 in 1959.

804 was built by Lima in June 1929, #7373.  It was transferred as IC 3573 in 1951 and was retired in February 1960.

1 was a HH600 built by Alco in November, 1935, #68701. It was retired in February, 1952, and scrapped.

101 was a SW7 built by Electro-Motive in April, 1950, #11377.

102 was a SW7  built by Electro-Motive in December, 1950, #12895.

103 was a SW7 built by Electro-Motive in December 1950, #12896.

104 was a SW7 built by Electro-Motive in November, 1951, #15637.

Cabooses 3 and 4 were rebuilt from box cars by Illinois Central in 1949.

Caboose 5 was rebuilt from a box car by IC in 1953.

Caboose 6 was rebuilt from a box car by IC in 1954.


Chicago & Western Indiana

We have a page on this fallen flag.


Chicago-Chemung RR

The railroad was formed with the purchase of the right-of-way from Harvard, IL to Chemung, IL, a distance of 2.9 miles, from the Chicago & North Western in 1987 and started operations on October 22, 1987.  The railroad is owned by Seeger Grain in Crystal Lake, IL

202, SW7, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #10295, as Chesapeake & Ohio 5236, Class SE-12.  It was reclassified Class SW-7 in 1964 and sold as Chicago Madison & Northern 202.  It was then sold as Wisconsin & Calumet RR 202 and resold as CCUO 202 in 1987.


Chicago Hardware Foundry Co.

This is a full page.


Chicago Junction Ry.

101 was built by Alco-Schenectady in March 1906, #39091. It became Chicago Milwaukee & St Paul 596, Class M-2, in November 1909 and renumbered to 6000 in May 1910. It was renumbered 2975 in September 1912 and retired on November 30, 1934. 

102 was built by Alco-Schenectady in March 1906, #39090. It became CM&StP 597 in November 1909 and 6001 in May 1910. It was renumbered 2976 in September 1912 and was sold on December 28, 1927 as Cowlitz Chehalis & Cascade Ry 10.

110, Class B-61c, was built by Alco-Schenectady 1916, as Chicago River & Indiana 110, Class B-61c.  It was transferred to CJRy as 110, Class B-61c.

141 was built by Alco-Schenectady in 1906.  It was later sold as Galesburg & Great Eastern 2.


Chicago Rail Link

We have a full page on this switching road.


Chicago Short Line RR

South Chicago & Indiana Harbor Ry.

29, SW1001, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1974, #74616-2.  It became SCIH 29 in April 2002.

30, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1968, #34126.  It became SCIH 30 in April 2002.

200, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive on February 19, 1942, #1677.  It was sold as Union Tank Car Co 200 in 1962 and sold to Industrial Maintenance Service in 1969.  It was sold as American Brake Shoe Corp 200 in May 1981 and became Abex Corp.

201, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1949, #8154.  It was sold as Garden City Western 202 in May 1962 and later sold as Nevada Industrial Switching 202.

1 was purchased from Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe.


Chicago Springfield & St. Louis RR

22 was built by Baldwin in February 1918, #47899, for Imperial Russian State Rys but it was diverted as United States Railway Administration as 1139.  It was sold as St Louis & Hannibal RR 22 and resold as CSStL 22 in 1928.  It apparently made one trip but was too heavy.  It was scrapped in 1933.

30 was built by Baldwin in June 1900, #17897, as Chicago & Alton 342, Class F-3A.   It was rebuilt as Class F-3B and was renumbered  as Alton 2418, Class K-18.  It was sold as CS&StL 30 in November 1932.  Disposition was not known.

31 was built by Baldwin in June 1900, #17896, as C&A 341, Class F-3A.  It was rebuilt as Class F-3B and was renumbered 2417, Class K-18.  It was sold as CS&StL 31 in January 1933.  It was sold as Springfield & Southwestern RR 31 in 1941 and resold as Manchester & Oneida Ry 7 in 1946.  It was too heavy for the line and seldom used and was scrapped in 1951.

32 was built by Baldwin in September 1900, #18198, as C&A 348, Class F-3A.  It was rebuilt as Class F-3B and was renumbered 2421, Class K-18, in 1931.  It was retired in 1932 and sold as CS&StL 32 in 1933.  Disposition was not known.

33 was built by Baldwin in September 1899, #17026, as C&A 307, Class F-3.  It was renumbered 2403, Class K-18, in 1931 and sold as Prairie State Coal Co 2403 in 1932.  It was resold as CS&StL 33 in 1934.  It was sold as S&SW 33 in 1941 and scrapped in 1946.

1216 was built by Alco-Schenectady in May 1903, #27338, as Northern Pacific 1216, Class Y-5.  It was sold as CS&StL 1216 on January 1, 1928, and retired in 1929. 

1223 was built by Alco-Schenectady in May 1903, #27436, as NP 1223, Class Y-5.  It was sold as CS&StL 1223 on January 1, 1928 and scrapped in 1941.


Chicago Union Transfer Co.

100 was built by Alco-Cooke in September 1903, #28686.  It became Illinois Central 641 in 1904 and renumbered 790 in January 1943.  It was sold to Lou S Keller in May 1959 and resold to David DeCamp in September 1965.  It was sold to F Nelson Blount in January 1966 and donated to Steamtown in October 1969 .

101 was built by Alco-Cooke in September 1903, #28687.  It became IC 642 in 1904 and renumbered 791 in January 1943. It was scrapped in 1955.


Chicago West Pullman & Southern

We have a full page on this switching road.


Columbia Quarry Co.

32, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric.


Commonweath Edison Co.

We have a full page on this power plant company.


Consolidated Coal Co.

213, RS1, was built in June 1946, #75113, as Minneapolis & St Louis 546.  It was renumbered 213 in March 1956 and sold as Truax Traer Coal Co 7339.  It became CCCo 213.  It was donated to the National Museum of Transportation and scrapped in October 2011.


Consolidated Grain & Barge Corp.

We have a full page on this terminal company.


Consumers Co.

We have a full page on this gravel operator with several locations.


Crab Orchard & Egyptian

5 was built by Porter in July 1945, #7995, as Central Illinois Public Service Co 5. It was donated to the MidContinent Railway Museum in 1964 and later sold as CO&E 5.  It was converted to a tender locomotive and was later sold to the St. Louis Iron Mountain & Southern as 5.


CW Rail

104, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1967, #33489, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 51.  It became Union Pacific 1323 on December 8, 1989, and was returned to Electro-Motive in December 8, 1989.  It then went to GM Central Foundry as 1323 and then sold to CW Rail as 104.


Davenport Rock Island & North Western

We have a full page on this fallen flag switching road.


Decatur Junction Ry.

This is a Pioneer road.


Demeter Grain Co.

263, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1952, #15597, as St Louis-San Francisco 308.  It became Burlington Northern 263, Class SW-9, in December 1980 and retired in August 1986.  It was sold to Pielet Bros Co in December 1986 and sold as DGCo 263.  It was resold as Union Tank Car Co 12345.


Dixon Marquette Cement Co.

Medusa Portland Cement Co.

10, S2, was built by Alco in July 1942, #69927, as New York Chicago & St Louis 4, Class AS-10A.  It was sold as MPCCo 10 on May 1, 1964, and later became DMCCo 10.

No number, 30 Ton, was built by Davenport in 1939, #2282.


Dome Railway Service Co.

618, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive on December 8, 1942, #1745. as Chicago & North Western 1215.  It was renumbered 618 on July 16, 1971, and retired on September 5, 1978.  It was sold to Wilson-Cramer Locomotive on March 8, 1979, and sold to Anheuser-Busch Co.  It was resold as DRSCo 618.


DOT Rail Service Inc.

1208, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1951, #15207, as Belt Ry of Chicago 522, Class 520.  It was sold as DRSX 1208.


Dubuque Sand & Gravel Co.

96, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1953, #18352, as Southern Pacific 4617, Class DS-303. It was reclassified Class DS-603 and renumbered 1122, Class ES408-3 in 1966, In 1978 it was sold to Cedar Rapid & Iowa City as 96. It later was sold to DS&GCo as 96 and later as IEI Barge Services as 96.

537, SW1, was built by Electro0Motive in July 1949, #7473, as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 537. It was sold to Chrome Locomotive in February 1981. They sold it to DS&GCo as 537 in August 1984 and later became Agri Grain Marketing Co with no number.


Early & Daniel Co.

2, 80 Ton, was built by General Electric in February 1943, #17751, as United States Army 7851.  It was sold to Quick-Way Crane & Shovel Co and resold as E&DCo 2.  It became Cargill Inc 2 and then Kentland Elevator & Supply Co 2.


Eastern Illinois RR

91, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1951, #13790, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 253C, Class 200, an F7A. It was renumbered 283L on August 21, 1951, and renumbered back as 253C on August 7, 1953. It was retired on August 2, 1974, and rebuilt at Cleburne as 2496, Class 2417, on October 29, 1974. It was retired on June 26, 1987, and sold to National Railway Equipment in July 1987. It was then sold to MidSouth Rail as 7001 in July 1987. It was later sold to EIRC 91 and later sold to Archer-Daniels-Midland as 91.

700, GP9u, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1955, #20286, as Illinois Central  9107 and was rebuilt at Paducah as Illinois Central Gulf 8107 in December 1969. It later became MSR 8107 and was later renumbered 1028. It was sold to SP Construction Services as 700 and later sold to Ohio Central as 700.  It was sold as EIRC 700.

4541, GP9u, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1959, #25053, as Chicago & North Western 1763.  It was rebuilt at Oelwein as 4541 on August 24. 1979. and retired in 1992.  It was sold to Kramer Diesel Supply Co and resold as Archer-Daniels-Midland 4541 in February 1994.  It was sold as EIRC 4541,


East Saint Louis Junction RR

4.  It was sold as Chicago Gravel Co.4.

17 was built by Baldwin in 1896, #15038, as Georgia RR 49.  It was renumbered 722 and renumbered 724.  It was sold to EStLJ 17 in 1941 and sold as St Louis Material & Supply Co 17 in 1950.  It became Basic Materials and given to National Museum of Transportation in April 1964.  It was restored as Georgia RR 724 and given a wild paint scheme later.

18 was built by Alco-Schenectady in April 1922, #63274.  It was sold as CGCo 18.

71, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in March 1948, #29303.

100, S1, was built by Alco in November 1948, #75901.  It was sold as Union Starch & Refining Co 100 in 1964.  It became Miles Laboratories 100 and sold to Precision National Corp in 1972.  It was sold as Cadiz RR 9 in September 1972 and later it was plinthed. 


Effingham RR

2716, SW1200m, was built by Baldwin in January 1944, #70137, by Reading 79, Class OE-10.  It was rebuilt by Electro-Motive in November 1963 as 2716, Class SWE-14, and became Consolidated Railroad Corp 9316, Class SW-1200, in April 1976.  It was then sold as EFRR 2716.


Elmhurst-Chicago Stone Co.

SU545, 50 Ton, was built by General Electric in May 1941, #15016, as United States Navy Shipyard (Mare Island) 14.  It was sold as ECSCo S-10 and later renumbered SU545.


Fisher Farmer's Grain & Cooperative

903. SW900, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1959, #23453, as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 903.  It was taken by Chrome Crankshaft Co in 1980 and sold as FFG&C 903 in April 1984.


Fox River Trolley Museum

This trolley museum has several railroad items. 


Franklin County Coal Co.

3324 was built by Rogers in April 1904, #6161, as Illinois Central 762, a 2-8-0.  It was rebuilt 0-8-0 as 3324 in September 1942 and sold as FCCCo 3324 in July 1949.


Galesburg & Great Eastern RR

1 was built by Rhode Island in 1901, #3305, as Colorado & Southern 464, Class B-4-R.  It was renumbered 604 in 1906 and sold as G&GE 1.

2 was built by Alco-Schenectady in 1906 as Chicago Junction Ry 141.  It was later sold as G&GE 2.

3 was built by Alco-Brooks as 1909, as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 1957, Class C-39.  It was later sold as G&GE 3.

4 was built by Alco-Brooks in 1909, as CRI&P 2025, Class C-39.  It was later sold as G&GE 4.

5 was built by Rogers in 1887 as Terre Haute & Peoria RR 5.  It was sold as G&GE 5.

Portion of the line was taken over and rebuilt for Midland Electric Coal Co.  For the construction I found this locomotive.

Kansas City Public Service Freight Operation 1, PE 70 Ton, by Plymouth in September 1936, #3865, as Joplin-Pittsburg RR 2003.  It was sold as Fort Dodge Des Moines & Southern 501 in October 1954 and resold to Sonken & Galamba Co in December 1956.  It was sold as KCPSFO 1 in July 1957 and retired in 1964.  It was preserved as J-PRR 2003 by Museum of Transportation.


Garvey International

400, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive on February 12, 1943, #2384, as Port Everglades Belt Line RR 400.  It was sold as Black River & Western 400 in April 1968 and later sold as GI 400.

541 "Willard", NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1946, #3640, as Chicago Burlington & Quincy 9244.  It became Burlington Northern 541, Class NW-2, in 1970 and sold as GI 541 in July 1982.


General Motors Central Foundry Co.

This is a national company.


Graham Paving & Construction Co.

No number.

No number was built by Davenport.


Granite City Steel Co.

901, SW900, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1957, #23176.  It became National Steel Corp 901 in 1971, and United States Steel Co 901 in 2003.

1243, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1957, #23301, as Great Lake Steel Co 43.  It was transferred as Granite City Steel Co 1243 and became NSC 1243.  It became USS 1243.

1244, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1957, #23302, as GLSCo 44.  It was transferred as GCSCo 1244  and became NSC 1244.  It became USS 1244.

1246, SW8, was built by General Motors in February 1951, #A184, as Canadian National 8504, Class GS-8a.  It was reclassified Class DS-8 in September 1954 and renumbered 7154 in June 1956,  It was sold as GCSCo 1246 and became NSC 1246.  It became USS 1246.

1247, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive with no other info.  It was owned as GCSCo 1247 and became NSC 1247.  It became USS 1247.


Greater Lake County Mass Transit Authority

53, F40C, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1974, #73689-1, FN 73689-1.  It was transferred as Northeast Illinois Regional Commuter RR "Metra" 613 "Village of Round Lake" in 1986 and retired in 2004.


Hall Printing Co.

3 was built by Schenectady in April 1896, #4418, as Chicago & North Western 238, Class M. It was sold to HPCo as #3 on November 10, 1928.


Hooppole Yorktown & Tampico Ry.

This 10 mile railroad served the three towns it was named after between 1907 and 1954. It provided a connection with the Burlington at Tampico for grain shippers in Hooppole and Yorktown until it plumb wore out. In doing some research, this was one of the very few lines not listed anywhere in my 1932 Poor's Manual of Railroads.

There has been an excellent history on this little line.

1315, Class G-1, was built by Kansas City St Joseph & Council Bluffs in 1887 as KCStJ&CB 42. It was later renumbered 510  in 1898 and became Chicago Burlington & Quincy 1315, Class G-1, in 1904. In 1927 it was sold to the HY&T as 1315 in September 1927. It was scrapped with the railroad in 1954.


Hoot Toot & Whistle RR

This 15 inch gauge amusement park line used a Sandley locomotive.


IEI Barge Services

96, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1953, #18352, as Southern Pacific 4617, Class DS-303. It was reclassified Class DS-603 and renumbered 1122, Class ES408-3 in 1966, In 1978 it was sold to Cedar Rapids & Iowa City as 96. It later was sold to East Dubuque Sand & Gravel Co as 96 and later as IEIBS as 96.


Illinois Brick Co.

No number with no historical information.


Illinois Electric Railway Museum

Illinois Railway Museum

We have a full page on this operation.


Illinois Midland Ry.

We have a full page on this abandoned line.


Illinois Northern Ry.

17 was built by Baldwin in November 1912, #38840.

31, S4, was built by Alco in October 1950, #78415.  It was sold as Tacoma Municipal Belt Line Ry 931 in April 1973 and became a parts source by 1984.

Yard office.


Illinois Railnet

5, CF7,was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #9583, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 230L, Class 200, an F7A.  It was rebuilt at Cleburne in April 1973 as 2578, Class 2417.  It was retired in June 1987 and sold to National Railway Equipment in October 1987.  It was sold as Washington Central RR 401 in October 1987 and sold to Burlington Northern Santa Fe in December 1996.  It was sold as IR 5 in 1996 and became Illinois Ry 5 in 2005.


Illinois Ry.

This line is owned by OmniTrax.


Illinois Slag & Ballast Co.

8.

12.


Illinois Terminal RR

St Louis-Alton Electric Cars.

Steam Locomotives.

Alco Diesel Locomotives.

Electro-Motive GP38-2s.


Illinois Western RR

7063, Class ES-17A, was built in October 1956, #21868, as Pennsylvania RR 7063, Class ES-17A.  It became Penn Central 7063, Class ERS-17A, in 1968 and later became Consolidated Railroad Corp 7063, Class GP-9.  It was rebuilt at Paducah in 1978 as 7570, Class GP-10.  It was sold as Illinois Western RR 7570.


Illinois-Wisconsin Sand & Gravel Co.

No number, HL-18, was built by Plymouth in 1928, #2911.  It was acquired in 1963 by Mid-Continent Railway Museum and was assigned number 2.


International Harvester Co.

42, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1951, #14282, as Chicago West Pullman & Southern 42. It was rebuilt by Electro-Motive in 1967. It later was sold to IHCo as 42 in April 1975. It was sold to U. S. Steel Co. as 41 on March 4, 1976.

44, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1952, #16826, as CWP&S 44. It later was sold to IHCo. as 44 in August 1974. It was later sold to Alter Scrap Co. as 1.  

475, VO1000, was built by Baldwin in January 1941, #62410, as Elgin Joliet & Eastern 475.  It was rebuilt in March 1962 and sold to Industrial Maintenance Service in November 1975.  It was sold to IHCo as 475.


Iron & Steel Products Co.

This Chicago area firm was a dealer in used railroad equipment.

403-A was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in September 1927, #60185, as Long Island RR 403-A, Class AA-4. It was rebuilt in December 1929 and sold to I&SP in September 1945. It was later sold in 1948 to an unknown buyer.

No number was built by Plymouth.  It was sold to Lithcote Co.


Jerseyville & Eastern RR

This half-mile at Jerseyville was a stub of the Chicago Springfield & St Louis when it was abandoned in February 1941.  Late in 1965 the engine broke down and abandonment was authorized in 1967.


Joy Manufacturing Co.

2, 12DM38, was built by Whitcomb in 1951, #40716.  It was acquired by Illinois Railway Museum and numbered 17.  It was restored as JMCo 2.


Kankakee Beaverville & Southern

We have a full page on this operation.


Kentland Elevator & Supply Co.

2, 80 Ton, was built by General Electric in February 1943, #17751, as United States Army 7851.  It was sold to Quick-Way Crane & Shovel Co and resold as Early &Daniel Co 2.  It became Cargill Inc 2 and then KE&SCo 2.


Keystone Steel & Wire Co.

454 was built by General Electric.

455 was built by General Electric.


La Salle & Bureau County RR

We have a full page on this short line with 2 locations.


Lee County Central Electric Ry.

 We have a full page on this trolley line turned short line.


Lehigh Stone Co.

 We have a full page on this narrow gauge quarry road.


Lincoln Sand & Gravel Co.

On the south side of Lincoln, IL, was a substantial gravel operation served by the GM&O and the Illinois Terminal. Into the 1970s they still had 2 diesel locomotives.

44 (44 Ton) was built by Davenport in 1940, #2301, for Morrell Meat Packing Co. In 1975 it was donated to the Monticello Railroad Museum.

54 (65 Ton) was built by Whitcomb in November 1943, #60341, as U. S. Army 7971.


Litchfield & Madison Ry.

157.

302, RS3, was built by Alco in May 1953, #80280. It became Chicago & North Western 302 in 1958 and 1553 in December 1971. It was retired on March 14, 1978, and sold to Erie Western as 1602 in June 1978.

1 was built by Dodge.

6.

1185.


Litchfield Carrolton & Western Ry.

Quincy Carrolton & St. Louis Ry.

LC&W was opened in 1883 from Columbiana to Greenfield in 29 miles.  It extended to Barnett, another 22 miles in December 1886.  It was under control of Jacksonville Louisville & St Louis until 1894 and became QC&StL in February 1899.  It was purchased by Chicago & Alton in September 1904 and operation was taken over in July 1905.

91 was built by Baldwin in December 1886, #8300.  It was purchased as Chicago & Alton 116, Class D-3B, in 1905 and scrapped in 1927.

92 was built by Baldwin in December 1886, #8301.  It was purchased as C&A 117, Class D-3B, in 1905 and sold for scrap in February 1929.


LLX Rail Inc.

151, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1957, #24133, FN 4414-2, as Pennsylvania RR 7901, Class ES-12.  It was renumbered 9051 in 1966 and became Penn Central 9051, Class ES-12, in 1968.  It became Consolidated Railroad Corp 9355, Class SW-1200, in April 1976 and sold to LLX Rail Inc as LLX 151.  It was leased to Luria Brothers in March 2000.  It was sold as Southeast Nebraska Cooperative 2004.


Ludlow Cooperative Elevator Co.

400, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive on October 7, 1947, #5534, as Peoria & Pekin Union Ry 400, Class D-4. It was rebuilt by Morrison Knudsen in June 1975 and became 600 on June 6, 1975. It later became LCECo as 600.


Macoupin County RR

1 was built by Chicago & North Western in 1885 as Winona & St Peter 29.  It became C&NW 1029 on August 25, 1900, and renumbered 113, Class A-3, on August 11, 1901.  It was sold as Macoupin County RR 1 in 1904 and scrapped on August 25, 1909.


H. R. Mandel Co.

1189, 25 Ton, was built by Plymouth.


Mathews Company

31 was built by Baldwin in May 1928, #60468, as Michigan Limestone & Chemical Co 31.  It was sold as Sharon Steel Co 13, and in 1963 it was purchased for a symbol since they manufacture 'Iron Horse Quality' agriculture equipment.

No Number, 35 Ton, was built by Davenport in 1943, #2458, as United States Air Force 7563.  It was sold to MCo and later given to the Illinois Railway Museum.  It was restored as USAF 7563 and sold as Catskill Mountain RR 1.


Material Service Co.

There is a full page on this gravel company..


McGrath Sand & Gravel Co.

It had rail-served quarries at North Chillicothe, North Pekin, and Mackinaw.  It was acquired by Martin Marietta Corp in late 1964.  Mackinaw was closed by that time and North Pekin around 1971.  North Chillicothe was downsized in 1979 and local customers served until 1988'

No number was built by Davenport.


Medusa Portland Cement Co.

See Dixon Marquette Cement Co. above.


Mid-Coast Terminal Co.

20, S2, was built by Alco.


Midland Electric Coal Co.

This company became part of Peabody Coal Co.


Mid-South Chemical Co.

One of the first Brookville locomotives that I got close to was just down the hill from my home in Creve Coeur, IL, a suburb of Peoria. One day while passing the Mid-South plant I noticed they had a locomotive of their own. They processed ammonia into fertilizer. During the nearly 6 years there, we only had one incident when a barge being unloaded broke it's connection. That called for rapid evacuation for late night excitement. Here is the result of a visit to the Mid-South plant.


Midwest Dock Corp.

1, 80Ton, was built by Whitcomb and came from Erman Corp.

846, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1940, #1183, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 1630, Class DE-6, and had a silver paint scheme around 1950.  It was reclassified 6E-S.  It was renumbered 974 in 1959 and 946 in 1972.  It was renumbered 877 in January 1973 and retired in May 1980.  It was sold as Midwest Dock 846 and resold as Erman Howell Corp 846 in December 1982.  It was sold as Diesel Supply Co 1138.


Midwest Generation

SC15 "Sylvia", SW1200u, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1955, #20702, as Rockdale Sandow & Southern RR 8.  It was sold as Missouri Pacific 1261 in 1964 and retired on February 28, 1985.  It was sold to Precision National Corp on April 11, 1985 and sold to Commonwealth Edison in June 1987.  It was rebuilt at Creve Coeur as MG SC15 "Sylvia".

 


Mississippi River Grain Co.

8934, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1951, #14046, as Lehigh Valley 283, Class DS-7. It reclassified as Class ESM-12 and became Consolidated Railroad Corp 8934, Class SW9, in April 1976. It was sold to MRGCo as 8934 in September 9, 1991.


Monticello & Sangamon Valley Ry.

1 was built by Alco-Cooke in 1924, #65477, for stock.  It was sold as James Stone Co 1 in April 1929 and resold as Western Indiana Aggregate Co 1 in 1930.  It was sold as Society for the Perpetuation of Unretired Railfans 1 in October 1966 and became M&SVR in April 1969.

301, RS3, was built by Alco in September 1955, #81359, as Long Island RR 1559, Class AGP-15msc.  It was sold as Gettysburg RR 1559 and resold as Maryland Midland RR 301.  It was sold as M&SV 301 and restored as Illinois Central RR 704.

53 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1947, #1737, as Chicago Rapid Transit 5003.  It became Chicago Transit Authority 5003 in 1948.  It was renumbered 53 in 1963 and named ""The Minutemen" temporarily in 1976.  It was acquired by M&SV in 1986.


National Steel Corp.

 We have a full page on this fallen flag national company.


Naples Terminal Co.

3, RS1. was built by Alco in June 1945, #73760, as Duluth South Shore & Atlantic 101.  It became Soo Line RR 101 in January 1961.  It was sold to Alco on November 13, 1963, and rebuilt by Alco in 1964.  It was sold as Algers Winslow & Western 3 and resold as NT 3.  It became Consolidated Grain & Barge Co 3 and sold to Lake Superior Railroad Museum in January 2002.  It has been restoring as DSSA 101.


Northwest Steel & Wire Co.

There is a special page on this steel mill and its steam locomotives.


Oak Ordnance Plant

104, 45DE27b, was built by Whitcomb on December 26, 1942, #60229.  It became United States Army V1213 in 1943 and renumbered 1213.  It was sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive in November 1947 and sold as Sloss Sheffield Steel & Iron Co 28 on June 2, 1948.  It became United States Pipe & Foundry Co 29 in October 1952.


Old Ben Coal Co.

55, 35 Ton was built by General Electric in March 1955, #32327.  It was sold as Cliffside RR 10 and sold as Inspiration Consolidated Copper Co 107 in 1987.  It became Cyprus Amax Minerals 107.  It was sold as Motive Power & Equipment Solutions 107.


Peabody Coal Co.

We have a full page on this multi-state coal operator.


Peoria & Pekin Union Ry.

Tazewell & Peoria RR

We have a full page on this switching road.


Peoria Locomotive Works

1500, SC15-A, was built by PWL in July 1992, #92-7-1500.  It became Peoria & Pekin Union Ry 802 and became Tazewell & Peoria 802 in 2004.


Peoria Union Station

The first railroad in Peoria was the Peoria and Warsaw, incorporated in 1838. Unfortunately, it encountered financial problems and not a mile of railroad track was laid. However, by November 9, 1854, the first passenger train began serving Peoria; it was the Peoria and Bureau Valley Railroad. Not all welcomed the coming of the railroad. Some were concerned that the "locomotive and the cars would injure the crops, pollute the atmosphere, produce earthquakes, and cause weather disturbances."

In spite of these concerns, fifteen railroads were soon located in Peoria. In 1882 Union Station opened at the foot of State Street. The brick, two-story building, measuring 404 feet by 55 feet contained a kitchen, dining room, rest rooms, mail rooms, storerooms, emigrant rooms, and an express office complete with vaults and safes. There were also forty-two offices in the building.

Numerous people, the famous and the not so famous, actors, musicians, statesmen, and presidents passed through these doors. At one point, there were 120 trains leaving Peoria's Union Station on a daily basis. Trains reached nearly every city, both large and small, like Pekin, Toulon, Buffalo, St. Louis, and as far away as New York and Denver.

In 1899 the Rock Island Railroad's depot was built in Peoria. It was considered one of the finest stations in the Midwest. By 1923, though, passenger trains had dropped to eighty trains daily in and out of Peoria Union Station.

With the beginning of World War II and the need to move troops and their families, passenger service increased for the last time. As World War II drew to an end, so did passenger service out of the once stately Union Station. On June 25, 1955, the last passenger train, the Peoria Eastern, departed. Within a few years, Union Station was used as an overflow warehouse for the post office. In August 1961 it was destroyed by fire.

The Rock Island Rocket ran to Chicago and back to Peoria in only two hours and forty-five minutes. Due to lack of track maintenance, the Rocket's speed fell, and its run lengthened into four hours. Soon the number of passengers also fell. The last Rocket left the depot in 1967. The Rock Island Depot was empty until 1968, when it was turned into a park and training center for the handicapped. In spite of a new, but very small, lackluster station, the last Rocket departed Peoria on May 29, 1978. The Rock Island Depot is now a restaurant that has maintained the distinctive architecture of its heyday.

ILLINOIS HISTORY/April 1996


Prairie Central RR

2604, U25B, was built by General Electric in August 1962, #34532, as Pennsylvania RR 2504, Class GF-25.  It was renumbered 2604 in 1966 and became Penn Central 2604, Class GF-25, in 1968.  It became Consolidated Railroad Corp 2604, Class U-25-B, in April 1976 and sold as PACY 2604 in July 1981.

2605, U25B, was built by General Electric in August 1962, #34533, as PRR 2505, Class GF-25.  It was renumbered 2605 in 1966 and became PC 2605, Class GF-25, in 1968.  It became Conrail 2605, Class U-25-B, in April 1976 and sold as PACY 2605 in July 1981.


Prairie State Coal Co.

2403 was built by Baldwin in September 1899, #17026, as Chicago & Alton 307, Class F-3.  It was renumbered 2403, Class K-18, in 1931 and sold as PSCCo 2403 in 1932.  It was resold as Chicago Springfield & St Louis 33 in 1934.  It was sold as Springfield & Southwestern RR 33 in 1941 and scrapped in 1946.


Prairie Trunk RR

475, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1951, #15206, as Belt Railway of Chicago 475, Class 470.  It was sold as PTRR 475.

679, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1956, #22362, as Chesapeake & Ohio 6179, Class MRSE-17.  It was reclassified Class GP-9 in 1964 and sold as Prairie Trunk RR 679 in 1987.  It was sold as Huron & Easterm RR 103 in 1989 and became Idaho Northern & Pacific 103 in 1993.  It went as South Central Tennessee 103 in 1994 and went as Octoraro RR 103.  It became Delaware Valley RR 105 and returned as HESR 103.

1603, RS3, was built by Alco in July 1953, #80520, as Chicago St Paul Minneapolis & Omaha 166. Later Chicago & North Western 166 in 1957 it was retired on March 3, 1978. It was sold to Erie Western RR as 1603 in June 1978 and it was resold to PTRR 1603. It later was sold by Azcon for probable scrap.


Public Service Co. Of Illinois

11, SW1, by Electro-Motive in July 1952, #16704, as PSNC 11. It became Commonwealth Edison Co 11 and later to Railway Equipment Leasing Co 503.


Rail-To-Water Transfer Corp.

1872, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1956, #21094. as Northern Pacific 249. It became Burlington Northern 1872, Class GP-9, in 1970 and was retired July 1983. It wa sold to Chrome Locomotive in September 1983 and was then RTWT 1872 in October 1984.


A. Y. Reed Gravel Co.

10.


Riverport RR

4029, RS4TC, was built by Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton-Whitcomb in 1954, #61259, as United States Army 4029.  It was sold as RVPR 4029 in 2009.


Rock Island Southern RR

We have a full page on this abandoned steam and trolley operated railroad.


Rutland Toluco & Northern RR

The RT&N was incorporated on November 9, 1909, as successor to Toluco Marquette & Northern RR. The line ran between Rutland and Granville. It was standard gauge 80 pound rail. In 1932 it leased 4 locomotives and owned 1 box car, 1 caboose, and 1 passenger combination car, They had 18 employes as of the end of 1931. The RT&N was operated by the Chicago & Alton when it took over the TM&N in 1910, but in February 1927 the ICC authorized the C&A to abandon operation under lease effective April 23, 1927. Operation was taken over by local owners, but it never made a profit. Rutland to Toluco was abandoned in 1930. A new company, Milwaukee Rockford & Southwestern, was formed in 1932 to take over the road, but this never was accomplished. On June 30, 1935, 50 and 51 were involved in a set-up head-on collision in an effort to raise money, but they didnít meet where they were supposed to and the event was a failure. Abandonment was sought in 1935, but the application was withdrawn when the owners decided to apply for a Reconstruction Finance loan. The loan was denied. By 1937, only the trackage between Granville and Magnolia remained, and even the tracks between Granville and McNabb were washed out. Permission to abandon was granted on April 21, 1937. Operation ended on December 31, 1937, and the line was sold for scrap.

50 was one of the ten-wheelers in the 1935 staged collision.

200 was built by Baldwin in June 1900, #17829. as Chicago & Alton RR 336, Class F-3A.  It was rebuilt as Class F-3B and was renumbered 2414, Class K-18, in 1931.  It was sold as RT&N 200 in April 1932.


St. Louis Peoria & Northern RR

When the panic of the 1890s came along, William Guy organized the StLP&N in the early 1896 to take over the North & South RR of Illinois, St Louis & Peoria RR, St Louis & Eastern Ry, and the Chicago Peoria & St Louis.  Through service between East St Louis and Springfrield was established soon thereafter.  And by early 1898, the line had been extended to Peoria.  However the railroad entered bankruptcy and the Spriongfield to East St Louis portion was acquired by Illinois Central while the portion from Sherman to Grove (Peoria) was acquired by the Chicago & Alton.

 

28 was built by Baldwin in May 1898, #15898.  It was acquired in 1900 as Chicago & Alton 111, Class D-5, and scrapped in 1927.

 

29 was built by Baldwin in March 1898, #15679.  It was acquired in 1900 as C&A 109, Class D-5, and sold for scrap in February 1929.

30 was built by Baldwin in March 1898, #15680.  It was acquired in 1900 as C&A 110, Class D-5, and sold for scrap in February 1929..


J. R. Short Milling Co.

No number, WDT/K-B 40Ton, was built by Plymouth in January 1958, #6068, as Mead Corp 3.  It was renumbered 105 and sold to Short with no number in 1985.


This company rebuilds and leases cars and locomotives from their headquarters in Troy.

1270, RS4TC, was built by Baldwin in 1953, #61225, as U S Army 1270.


South Chicago & Indiana Harbor Ry.

See Chicago Short Line RR above.


Springfield & Southwestern RR

31 was built by Baldwin in June 1900, #17896, as Chicago & Alton 341, Class F-3A.  It was rebuilt as Class F-3B and was renumbered 2417, Class K-18.  It was sold as Chicago Springfield & St Louis 31 in January 1933.  It was sold as S&SW 31 in 1941 and resold as Manchester & Oneida Ry 7 in 1946.  It was too heavy for the line and seldom used and was scrapped in 1951.

33 was built by Baldwin in September 1899, #17026, as C&A 307, Class F-3.  It was renumbered 2403, Class K-18, in 1931 and sold as Prairie State Coal Co 2403 in 1932.  It was resold as CS&StL 33 in 1934.  It was sold as S&SW 33 in 1941 and scrapped in 1946.


Taloma Farmers Grain Co.

92, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1956, #20981, as New York Central 5968, Class DRS-9d.  It was renumbered 7368, Class ERS-17, in 1966 and became Penn Central 7368, Class ERS-17, in 1968.  It became Consolidated Railroad Corp 7368, Class GP-9, in April 1976, and retired on May 3, 1988.  It was sold to General Electric and sold as Bloomer Line Connecting RR 92 in 1991.  It was sold as TFGX 92 in 1996.


Terre Haute & Peoria RR

5 was built by Rogers in 1887.  It was sold as Galesburg & Great Eastern 5.


Thomas Steel Co.

2479, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1956, #21138, FN 3191-A12, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 286C, Class 281, an F9A. It was rebuilt at Cleburne on March 25, 1976, as 2479, Class 2417.  It was sold as TSCo 2479 on November 20, 1986.


Toluco & Eastern RR

Toluco Marquette & Northern RR

The T&E was built in 1897 between Toluca & Rutland, 6 miles.  The TM&N was opened in 1901 from Toluca to Granville,  They were merged as TM&N in 1902.  It was purchased from Rutland Toluco & Northern which was leased by Chicago & Alton.

2 was built by Hinkley in 1882, #1528, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 244.  It was renumbered 2344, Class 2341, in 1900 and sold as TM&N 2.  It became Chicago & Alton 499, Class H-Odd, in October 1910 and scrapped in December 1927.

4 was built by Schenectady in 1888 without information.  It was sold as TM&N 4 and leased as C&A 151, Class D-Odd, in 1910.  It was scrapped in 1927


Truax-Traer Coal Co.

10, S2, was built by Alco in November 1944, #72144.

100, S2M, was built by Alco and converted to straight electric operation.

213, RS1, was built in June 1946, #75113, as Minneapolis & St Louis 546.  It was renumbered 213 in March 1956 and sold as TTC 7339.  It became Consolidated Coal Co 213.  It was donated to the National Museum of Transportation and scrapped in October 2011.


Union Electric Co.

1 was built by Baldwin in February 1925, #57990, for McClellan & Junkersfeld.   This engineering company set up United Electric Power & Light Co and the locomotive became CEP&L 1.  It was changed as United Electric Co 1 in May 1937 and was donated to National Museum of Transport in June 1948.

4 was built by Porter in October 1946, #8082.  It was donated to Transport Museum Assn of Brooklyn, IL, in 1980 and donated to Illinois Railway Museum in September 1982.

1, 65 Ton, was built by General Electric in June 1960, #33845.  It was sold as Missouri Central RR 520 in 1999 and sold as Trinity Industries 520.


Union Starch & Refining Co.

Miles Laboratories

100, S1, was built by Alco in November 1948, #75901, as East Saint Louis Junction Ry 100.  It was sold as US&RCo 100 in 1964.  It became ML 100 and sold to Precision National Corp in 1972.  It was sold as Cadiz RR 9 in September 1972 and later it was plinthed. 


United Electric Coal Co.

1, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive on February 4, 1942, #1597, as Chicago Indianapolis & Louisville (Monon) DS50. It was sold to UEC as 1 in February 1947.

101, HH600, was built by Alco in October 1938, #69085, as Green Bay & Western 101. It was sold to UEC in 1960 and then to Material Service Corp as 49-0159 in 1972. It was apparently scrapped by Irv's Enterprises in 1976.

115, S2, was built by Alco in March 1944, #70195, as Denver & Rio Grande Western 115, Class DE B-B 69. It was sold to UEC as 115 in October 1964.

No number, 45 Ton, was built by Whitcomb in 1935, #50010, for Barber Asphalt Co.  It was sold to UECCo and donated for display as Canton RR 1998.


U. S. Railway Manufacturing Co.

76, 65 Ton, was built by General Electric in February 1943, #15886, for Nebraska Ordnance Works.  It became United States Army 7149 and later sold as U S Railway Manufacturing Co 7146.  It was merged as Evans Railcar 79 and became Itel Railcar 79.  It became Berwind Railway Services 76 and became Watco Mechanical Services J8.


Vandalia RR

101, T6, was built by Alco in March 1958, #83860, as Pennsylvania RR 8427, Class AS-10a. It was renumbered 9847 in 1966 and became Penn Central 9847, Class AS-10a, in 1968. It later became Consolidated Railroad Corp 9847, Class T-6, in April 1976 and was sold to Naporano Iron & Metal as 1000 in June 1976. It was leased to Raritan River Steel Co as L-3 and later sold to Black River & Western as 56. It was then sold to West Jersey RR as 56 in 1994 and then to VRR as 56 in April 1995. It then was transferred to Pioneer Railcorp as 101 and sold as Georges Creek RR 101 in March 2008..

2271, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1951, #9786, as Louisville & Nashville 2271, Class S-87. It was later sold to VRR as 2271.


Vulcan Materials Co.

This is a national company.


Walworth Valve Co.

This little narrow gauge electric was preserved in the front yard of a former employee.


Wisconsin Steel Co.

18, 25 Ton, was built by General Electric in 1950, #30600.  It was sold to Republic Locomotive Co in 1981.

 

Roster information: Randy Keller

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

8/26/2014

Memorial of Our Lady of Czestochowa

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

Say among the nations.

"The LORD reigns!

Yea, the world is established.

It shall never be moved;

He will judge the peoples with equity.

--Psalm 96:10