Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Northern Texas Traction Co.

Tarrant County Traction Co.

One of the oldest interurban lines in Texas, the NTT was completed between Dallas and Fort Worth in 1902. Since the line was only 35 miles long between two major cities, the standards were quite high for the time. The line was an outgrowth of the Fort Worth Street Ry., and both were operated together. In 1912, a line to Cleburne was built by a subsidiary named the Fort Worth Southern Traction Co. In 1914 it was reorganized as the Tarrant County Traction and operated as an integral part of the NTT. In the 1920s, effort was made to upgrade the service. On the mainline, cars were rebuilt and operated as Crimson Limiteds. On the Cleburne line, 5 cars were rebuilt in a similar fashion as Pioneer Limiteds. As a Stone & Webster property, the management saw the continuing decline in traffic due to the automobile and the beginning of the depression. In 1931, the Cleburne line was discontinued. This was followed by the abandonment of the main line in 1934. Local Fort Worth service ended in approximately 1940. Some of the newest interurbans were purchased by the Texas Electric Ry. Cars 25 (motor) and 411 (trailer) are being restored by a group in Fort Worth under the auspices of the "T". An express motor is being rebuilt as a party car by the McKinney Avenue Transit Authority in Dallas. Freight motor 330 is being restored by a group in Burleson. There is a proposal to build a local trolley in Fort Worth, and Birney 560 is being restored by the Trolleymeisters in Fort Worth.

And here are some photos of a few of the cars.

Cars 1-6 were built by Kuhlman in 1902. In 1926 1-5 were rebuilt as Pioneer Limiteds and had names of Texas heroes instead of numbers.

1 was built by Kuhlman in 1902, #111.  It was rebuilt in 1926.

6 was built by Kuhlman in 1902, #111.  It was retired and sold as a house in Fort Worth in 1934.  The house and car were destroyed in 1999.

"David Crockett" was built by Kuhlman, #111.  It was rebuilt from a 1 to 5 car in 1926.  Notice the awning over the rear windows

Cars 21 thru 24 were built by St. Louis Car in 1911. These were the last built with a steamcoach roof.

25 was built by St Louis Car in 1913, Order #986.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925 and sold as a home.  It was restored and is now on exhibit at the Fort Worth Transportation Center.

26 was built by St Louis Car in 1913, Order #986.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925.

27 was built by St Louis Car in 1913, Order #986.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925 and sold as Texas Electric Ry 366 in 1935.  It was scrapped in 1941.

28 was built by St Louis Car in 1913, Order #986.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925 and sold as Texas Electric Ry 367 in 1935.  It was scrapped in 1941.

29 was built by St Louis Car in 1920, Order #1248.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925 and sold as Texas Electric Ry 368 in 1935.  It was scrapped in 1941.

30 was built by St Louis Car in 1920, Order #1248.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925 and sold as Texas Electric Ry 369 in 1935.  It was scrapped in 1941.

31 was built by St Louis Car in 1920, Order #1248.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925 and sold as Texas Electric Ry 370 in 1935.  It was scrapped in 1941.

32 was built by St Louis Car in 1920, Order #1248.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925 and sold as Texas Electric Ry 371 in 1935.  It was scrapped in 1941.

267 was a double truck birney.

330 was built by G C Kuhlman Car in 1902, Order #111, as 12.  It was renumbered 30 and renumbered 330 in 1920.  It was retired in 1934 and acquired by Burleson Heritage Foundation in 2002.

407 was built by St Louis Car in 1919, Order #1197.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925 and sold as a home.  It wassold to Bay Creek Resort in Virginia in 2006 and is planned to be rebuilt by Edwards Rail Cars Co.

411 was built by St Louis Car in 1919, Order #1197.  It was upgraded to Crimson Limited in 1925 and sold as a home.  It was restored and planned as Fort Worth Museum of Science and History but went to Burleson Heritage Foundation in 2012.

The line car was built in the Handley shops.

We present a picture of Main Street looking north towards the Court House in Fort Worth.

A concrete trestle is still there in the western side of West Dallas beside West Jefferson Blvd.  The trestle crossed over the T&P-ATSF branch serving the cement plants.  That branch was removed many years ago.

We have another image of interest from Pete Charlton. It is the front page of one of the advertising folders for the Crimson Limited.

 

In 1924, NTT put out an advertisement which stressed the need for public transportation in community development. Isn't it amazing that the same holds true today even with or in spite of automobile ownership.

When they talk of the system they built, it was no idle boast. Here is a 1920 map of the Fort Worth central business district. The file is quite large and may take awhile to download.

 

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

6/7/2017

Memorial of Saint Gotteschalk

<><

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

To use this life well is the pathway through death to everlasting life.

St. John Almond