Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Under Construction

Wisconsin Short Lines and Industrial Railroads

 

Ahnapee & Western RR

We have a full page on this line.


Algoma Plywood & Veneer Co.

1 was built by Plymouth.  It was donated to National Railway Museum in 1989 and later rebuilt when the cab was destroyed.


Algoma RR

105, 60 Ton, was built by General Electric-Ingersoll in October, 1937, #12237, as Milwaukee Solvay Coke Co 105. In February 1970, it was sold to Miller Compressing Co. and used by them as 105.  In July 1976 it became Algoma 105, operating on what had been the Ahnapee & Western. I don't know what happened to it after that.

988, RSC2u, was built by Alco in January 1947 #75134, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 988, Class D-15.  It was reclassified Class 15A-RS6 and in 1954 it was rebuilt to Class 16A-RS6.  In 1959 it was renumbered 594 and sold as Kettle Moraine Ry 4 in 1976.  It was sold to Trans-Northern Inc and assigned as Algoma 988.  It was transferred as Chippewa River RR 998 and sold to Mid-Continent Ry Museum in October 1985.  It was restored as Milwaukee 988.


Allis-Chalmers Mfg Co.

2 was built by Alco-General Electric in 1907 as Danville Street Ry & Light Co 102. It became Illinois Traction Co 1559 in 1908 and was rebuilt at Decatur in September 1939 to operate on both trolley and diesel. On April 24, 1952, it was sold to Allis-Chalmers Co as 2 and was rebuilt for straight diesel operation. In 1965 it was sold to Sidney Goldman, apparently for scrap.


American Can Co.

Marathon Corp.

Weyerhauser Paper Co.

Domtar Corp.

1, SW600, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1960, #25862, FN 4434-1.  It was merged into Weyerhauser Paper Co 1 in 1973 and merged as Domtar Corp 1 in 2006.


Badger Mining Corp.

305, RS20, was built by Alco in May 1951, #78856, as Green Bay & Western 305, RS3.  It was upgraded in June 1973 and sold as Little Rock & Western 305 in 1982.  It was sold in August 1994 as BMCorp 305 and sold and restored as GB&W 305 at Gopher State Railway Museum.  It was leased to CF Industries and sold to them.  It was repainted in a Belt Railway of Chicago style.


Brillion & Forest Junction Ry.

5, RSC2u, was built in January 1947, #75129, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 985, Class D-15.  It was reclassified Class 15A-RS6 and in 1954 it was rebuilt to Class 16A-RS6.  In 1959 it was renumbered 591 and in October 1965 it was rebuilt as 578.  It was sold to Kettle Moraine Ry 5 in April 1977 and resold as B&FJ 5 in June 1978.  It was sold as Paperton Junction Southern Ry 5 in 1987.


Central Wisconsin RR

210, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in December 1946, #28566, as Calumet & Hecla, Inc 210.   It was sold to Marquette & Huron Mountain in May 1972 but it remained the original lettering and number.  It was then sold as CWRR 210 in 1981 and sold as Whitewater Valley RR 210 in 1985.

735, H12-44, was built by Fairbanks Morse in March 1952, #12L566, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 2305, Class 12F-S. It was renumbered 735 in 1959 and sold to CWRR as 735 in August 1982.

750, H12-44, was built by Fairbanks Morse in March 1950, #12L374, as CMStP&P 1826, Class 12F-S.  It was renumbered 750 in 1959 and retired in May 1980.  It was sold as CWRR 750 in April 1983.

769, H10-44u, was built by Fairbanks Morse in April 1946, #L1013, as CMStP&P 1811, Class 10F-S. It was renumbered 769 in 1959 and rebuilt as 1200 HP in 1962. It was retired in May 1980 and sold to CWRR as 769 in June 1983.

781, H10-44u, was built by Fairbanks Morse in March 1950, #10L328, as CMStP&P 1823, Class 10F-S. It was renumbered 781 in 1959 and rebuilt as 1200 HP in 1962. It was sold to the CWRR as 781 in April 1983, and acquired for preservation when the Central Wisconsin was abandoned.

782, H10-44u, was built by Fairbanks Morse in March 1950, #10L329, as CMStP&P 1824, Class 10F-S.  It was renumbered 782 in 1959 and rebuilt as 1200 HP in 1962.  It was sold as CWRR 782 in April 1983.

783, H10-44u, was built by Fairbanks Morse in March 1950, #10L330, as CMStP&P 1825, Class 10F-S.  It was renumbered 783 in 1959 and rebuilt as 12F-2 in 1962.  It was sold as CWRR 783 in April 1983.

1200, H12-44, was built by Fairbanks Morse in January 1955, #12L956, as CMStP&P 2321, Class 12-S. It was renumbered 706 in 1959 and retired in March 1981.  It was sold as CWRR 1200 and sold to Miller Compressing Co.  It was sold as Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum 9733.


Chicago Madison & Northern RR

202, SW7, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #10295, FN 6075-22, as Chesapeake & Ohio 5236, Class SE-12.  It was reclassified Class SW-7 in 1964 and sold as CMNR 202.  It was then sold as Wisconsin & Calumet RR 202 and resold as  Chicago-Chemung RR 202 in 1987.

564, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1949, #8358, FN E1157-A14, as Denver & Rio Grande Western 564D, Class DE4(B-B)226.  It was renumbered as 5644, Class DE4(B-B)226, in 1950 and rebuilt by Electro-Motive in 1957.  It was reclassified Class B-B 60 in 1962 and retired on August 27, 1969.  It was sold as American Crystal Sugar Co 64 in January 1970 and sold to Glen Monhart in 1980.  It was painted as Chicago Madison & Northern 564 and became Wisconsin & Calumet RR 901 in 1985.  It was sold to to Mineral Range Inc as MRAX 901 in 1992.  It was sent to the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay and later sold as Escanaba & Lake Superior 901. 

1205, S6, was built by Alco in May 1955, #80928, as Southern Pacific 1038, Class DS-9.  It was renumbered 1205, Class AS409-1, in 1966 and sold to Chrome Crankshaft Co.  It was sold to CMNR 1205 and later resold as Nekoosa Paper Co 22.

7 "Doonin" was built by Pullman in 1917, #4466, as Illinois Central 17.  It was renumbered 7 in 1940 and sold as CM&N 7 "Doonin".  It was sold as Thompson Farms Co 7 and acquired to Monticello Railway Museum.  It was restored as IC 7.

80.


Chippewa River RR

988, RSC2u, was built by Alco in January 1947 #75134, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 988, Class D-15.  It was reclassified Class 15A-RS6 and in 1954 it was rebuilt to Class 16A-RS6.  In 1959 it was renumbered 594 and sold as Kettle Moraine Ry 4 in 1976.  It was sold to Trans-Northern Inc and assigned as Algoma RR 988.  It was transferred as CRRR 998 and sold to Mid-Continent Ry Museum in October 1985.  It was restored as Milwaukee 988.


Circus World Museum

46 "Baraboo", lounge observation car.  It became Jos Schlitz Brewing Co 46 "Baraboo".  It became CWMX 46 "Baraboo".


R. Connor Lumber Co.

Connor Land & Lumber Co.

4 was built by Lima on May 18, 1920, #3121.  It was transferred as Marathon County RR 4 and transferred as Connor 4.  It was scrapped in 1934.

15 was built by Lima on July 10, 1919, #3039, as Marathon County RR 15.  It was transferred as Connor 15.  It was scrapped about 1941.

16 was built by Lima on January 31, 1924, #3250, as Cherokee Lumber Co 8.  It was returned to Lima on July 8, 1925, and sold as Connor 16 in September 1926.  It was scrapped.

1, 20 Ton, was built by Vulcan in February 1942, #4354, as Corps of Engineers 2093.  It became United States Army 7714 and sold as CL&LCo 1.  It was sold as Otter Tail Power Co 1 and then Langren Grain Co 1.  It became Cargill Seed Sales 1 in 1985.


Consolidated Water Power & Paper Co.

Consolidated Paper Co.

StoraEnso

New Page Paper Co.

19-200 was built by Heisler in 1914, #1290, as Finch-Pruyn & Co 3.  It was sold as CWP&P 19-200.

350 was built by Alco-Schenectady in April 1929, #67819, as Kewaunee Green Bay & Western 45, Class Z. It was renumbered 350, Class Z, in November 1936. It was sold to CWP&P in November 1950 and was retired in 1955 and placed on display. In 1981 it was donated to the MidContinent Railway Museum where it has been cosmetically restored as KGB&W 49.

1, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1963, #27874, FN 7634-7, as Missouri Pacific 1106.  It was sold to Precision National Corp on July 24, 1985, and sold to D A Wilson RR in August 1986.  It was sold as United States Steel Co 1106 in April 1987 but it was not delivered.  It was sold to CPI 1 in September 1993 and became Stora Enso 1 in 2000.  It was rebuilt by Relco in 2007 and became New Page Paper 1 in 2007.

Switching was also done by steam cranes such as this one built by American Crane.


John R. Davis Lumber Co.

258.


Fairchild & North-Eastern Ry.

"Foster's and Nobody Elses" was started as a tramway in 1878 and rebuilt as a steam railway in 1882 as the Chicago Fairchild & Eau Claire from Fairchild to the Eau Claire River, about 15 miles. The entire operation was owned by the Foster family, who owned lumbering operations in the area. It apparently was not considered a common carrier and ceased operation in 1896. In 1897 the line was reorganized as the F&NE, a common carrier. In 1898 the line was extended to Greenwood, an additional 8 miles. By 1900 another 7 miles was opened. In 1906 construction began again and the line was completed to Owen, a total of 38 miles. In 1912 construction began on another line from Fairchild. It reached Cleghorn in 1914 which became the western terminal when the final 13 miles to Caryville were never completed. From this time, the line began a downward spiral since the hardwood along the line was gone. Agricultural products became the primary business of the railroad. During WW1 it was taken over by the USRA as the smallest road under government control. After the road was returned in 1919, the economic problems continued. In 1920 it was leased to the Central Wisconsin Ry, a new company formed by patrons along the line. In 1924 the lease was cancelled and the operation reverted to the F&NE. In 1925 the Fosters sold the company to a group of Chicago businessmen. The new group presided over the demise of the railroad. Engines and rolling stock were gradually sold off and the Cleghorn line was abandoned in 1926. In 1929 all operations were suspended and final abandonment took place on October 30, 1930.

7 was built by Taunton in July 1870, #501, as St Paul & Sioux City 11 "Medelia". It became Chicago St Paul Minneapolis & Omaha 211 in 1880 and F&NE 7 in 1898. It was scrapped in 1918.

12 was built by Vulcan in February 1916, #2535. In 1925 it was sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive, who rebuilt it and sold it to Laona & Northern as 4, Class MT, on September 21, 1926.

When the line was abandoned, the Tioga station was moved to a farm until 1967 when Adrienne McCombe purchased it and returned it to Tioga. By 1981 the station and the local general store were restored thanks to Mrs. McCombe.

One of the largest stations was Greenwood which was the northern terminal from 1898 to 1900.


Falk Corporation

1.


Fox River Valley RR

We have a page on this fallen flag.


Goodman Lumber Co.

Sawyer-Goodman Lumber Co.

9 was built by Lima on March 11, 1909, #2143, as S-G 9.  The company became Goodman.  It was sold to Anthony Wise in August 1955 as Hayward Lumberjack Museum and donated to Mid Continent Railway Museum in July 1988.


Great Lakes Calcium Co.

No number, 25 Ton, was built General Electric in January 1953, #31778, as Nelson & Albermarle Ry 3 .  It was transferred as Georgia Marble Co 3 in 1963 and sold to Railrhodes Inc in 2004.  It was sold to GLCCo no number.


Green Bay & Western RR

Kewaunee Green Bay & Western Ry.

Steam Locomotives.

Diesel Locomotives.


Harvest States Cooperative

CHS Inc.

There is a national company.


Heil Corp.

13, 25 Ton, was built by Davenport.  It was sold as Kettle Moraine Ry 13.


Heineman Lumber Co.

25 was built by Lima on March 18, 1908, #2057, as Chicago Milwaukee & St Pacific 1499. It was renumbered 25 in December 1912 and stored at Tomahawk, WI, on October 10, 1921/  It was sold to HLCo on January 19, 1927.  It was leased to J L Kuester Machine Shop on January 30, 1947, and shipped to North Milwaukee where it was scrapped.


Hillsboro & North Eastern Ry.

The H&NE was incorporated in 1901 and began operation over 5.37 miles of line between Union Center and Hillsboro in 1903. They surveyed another 26.5 miles through Hub City and Rock Bridge to Richland Center, but it was never built. It was a home owned short line for all of its life until abandonment in the middle 1970s. For a year or two it provided a home for the Mid-Continent Railway Museum before they acquired their own trackage at North Freedom.

1.

6, 45 Ton, was built by Davenport in February 1942, #2374, as Milan Ordnance Depot 1. It later became U S Army 7220 and later U S Air Force 7220. It was sold to H&NE as 6 in 1947.

They had a flanger which appears to have been home built.

Their office and depot was plain. I can think of no other description.


Janesville & Southeastern RR

52, BL2, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1948, #8163, FN E1195-3, as Bangor & Aroostook 552, Class I-a.  It was renumbered 52 in 1953 and sold to Glen Mohart and painted as JSE 52.  It was sold to Mineral Range Inc as MRAX 52 and sold to MidAmerica Rail Car Leasing MRLX 52.  It was sold as Saratoga & North Creek Ry 52 in 2011.


Kettle Moraine Ry.

2 was built by Baldwin in December 1912, #38967, for logging service in the state of Washington for the Saginaw Timber Company. Her 44-inch diameter drivers produce great pulling power and flangeless center drivers allow for operation on tight curves found on logging railroads. 2 is an oil-burner, a preferred fuel for logging engines to eliminate hot cinders that could pose a fire hazard. 2 served several lumber companies. Northwest Lumber Co., 1914-1929; Polson Brothers Lumber Co., 1929-1948; Rayonier, 1948-1962) before going to the Cadillac & Lake City Ry 1962. In June 1973 it went to the KMRy as 2 and then went to Mid-Continent Railway Museum in 1982. 2 was then restored to her 1912 as-built appearance with newly fabricated box headlights and tender toolboxes (she still uses her original tender). In 1999, 2 was repainted and subsequently relettered to represent her career for Polson Brothers from 1928 to 1948. As of August 2000, 2 is out service, receiving heavy boiler repairs to bring her to compliance with new Part 230 FRA (Federal Railroad Administration) regulations required in 2001.

4, RSC2u, was built by Alco in January 1947 #75134, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 988, Class D-15.  It was reclassified Class 15A-RS6 and in 1954 it was rebuilt to Class 16A-RS6.  In 1959 it was renumbered 594 and sold as KMRy 4 in 1976.  It was sold to Trans-Northern Inc and assigned as Algoma RR 988.  It was transferred as Chippewa River RR 998 and sold to Mid-Continent Ry Museum in October 1985.  It was restored as Milwaukee 988.

5, RSC2u, was built by Alco in January 1947, #75129, as CMStP&P 985, Class D-15.  It was reclassified Class 15A-RS6 and in 1954 it was rebuilt to Class 16A-RS6.  In 1959 it was renumbered 591 and in October 1965 it was rebuilt as 578.  It was sold to KMRy 5 in April 1977 and resold as Brillion & Forest Junction Ry 5 in June 1978.  It was sold as Paperton Junction Southern Ry 5 in 1987.

9 was built by Baldwin in January 1901, #18596, as McCloud River RR 9.  It was sold as Yreka Western RR 9 in December 1939 and resold as Amador Central RR 9 in 1944.  It was sold to Nez Perce RR 9 in 1945 and sold to Richard Hinebaugh as KMRy 9 in January 1966.  It was donated to National Railroad Museum in January 2003.

13, 25 Ton, was built by Davenport as Heil Corp 13.  It was acquired as KMRy 13.


Walter H. Knapp, Inc.

104 was built by Pullman Co in September 1913, Lot 4015, as Wisconsin Fish Commission "Badger 2".  It was used with steel tanks to carry fish to restock  streams and rivers.   It was sold to Walter H Knapp Inc as 104 and converted as a office car.  It was sold to Mid-Continent Railway Museum in 1960 and set up as coach 104.  It was sent to Hillsboro for service in 1962 and then to North Freedom in 1963.  It was restored as-rebuilt beginning in 1986 and completed in 2008.


Lake States Steam Association

18 was built by Alco in 1910, #46941, as Lake Superior & Ishpeming 18, Class SC-4.  It was sold to Marquette & Huron Mountain RR as 18, Class SC-4, and was then sold to Ishpeming Steel Co in January 1985.  It was then sold to LSSA as 18 and then to Grand Canyon Ry as 18 in 1989.  It was sold as Mount Hood RR 18 in April 2007 and sold as San Luis & Rio Grande RR 18 on January 31, 2008.


Lake Superior Terminal & Transfer Co.

21 was built by Alco in March 1921, #62894. It was sold as Duluth & Northeastern RR 30.

104, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1949, #7808.  It was sold as Railroad Technology Corp 104.


Laona & Northern

The other L&N was built in 1902 between Laona and Laona Junction and was owned by Connor Land & Lumber Co. It is still operating steam excursion service.

3.

4, Class MT, was built by Vulcan in February 1916, #2535, as Fairchild & North-Eastern 12. In 1925 it was sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive, who rebuilt it and sold it to L&N as 4, Class MT, on September 21, 1926.

103, 65 Ton, was built by Whitcomb in September 1944, #60503, as U S Army 8497. It was acquired by L&N as government surplus after WWII. It later became Nicolet Badger Northern 103 in 1984.


Marathon Corp.

101.


Marinette Tomahawk & Western

We have a separate page on this road.


Mellen Lumber Co.

6 was built by Baldwin in May 1916, #43340.  It was transferred as Ontonagon RR 6 in 1928 and became Huss Lumber Co 6 in 1932.  It was purchased by National Container Corp and became Huss-Ontonogon Pulp & Paper Co 6 in 1955.  The company was sold as Hoerner Boxes Inc in November 1962 and consolidated with Hoerner-Waldorf Co in June 1966.


Michels Corp.

502, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1951, #12934, as St Louis-San Francisco 572.  It was sold to Precision National and operated as PNC 572. It was sold in March 1980 as Chicago & North Western 4460 on April 24, 1980.  It was retired in May 1994 and sold to OmniTrax in October 1994.  It became Great Western 4460 and sold as SP Construction Services 502.  It was sold as MPCX 502 in March 2003.


Miller Compressing Co.

105, 60 Ton, was built by General Electric-Ingersoll in October, 1937, #12237, as Milwaukee Solvay Coke Co 105. In February 1970, it was sold to Miller and used by them as 105.  In July 1976 it became Algoma RR 105, operating on what had been the Ahnapee & Western. I don't know what happened to it after that.


Milwaukee Cement Co.

"Flora".


Milwaukee Sewage Commission

We have a separate page on this operation.


Milwaukee Solvay Coke Co.

We have a separate page on this company.


Milwaukee County Zoo Scenic Ry & Transportation Co.

82 was built by Sandley Light Railway Equipment Co at Wisconsin Dells in 1958, #5.  It was purchased by the Milwaukee Journal for the Zoo. It was displayed in the front windows of the Journal at 3rd & Juneau for some time prior to the completion of the railroad line at the zoo. It was traded back to the preservation society for a gas-hydrostatic built by them in 1995.

1916 was built by Sandley at Wisconsin Dells in 1961, #6.  It was purchased by the Milwaukee Journal for the Milwaukee County Zoo. It is still in service.

1924 was built by Sandley and designed by Mike Decker in 1977, #18.  It was purchased by the Milwaukee Journal for the Milwaukee County Zoo. It is still in service.

"GP-7" is a gas-hydrostatic built by Sandley at Wisconsin Dells in 1959. Road number unknown. It was purchased by the Milwaukee Journal for the Milwaukee Zoo and is still in service.


Mineral Range Inc.

52, BL2, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1948, #8163, FN E1195-3, as Bangor & Aroostook 552, Class I-a.  It was renumbered 52 in 1953 and sold to Glen Mohart and painted as Janesville & Southeastern RR 52.  It was sold to Mineral Range as MRAX 52 and sold to MidAmerica Rail Car Leasing MRLX 52.  It was sold as Saratoga & North Creek Ry 52 in 2011.

420, S6, was built by Alco in February 1957, #82297, as Belt Ry of Chicago 420, Class 420.  It was sold as MRAX 420 in 2005 and sold as CF Industries 420 in 2006.

901, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1949, #8358, FN E1157-A14, as Denver & Rio Grande Western 564D, Class DE4(B-B)226.  It was renumbered as 5644, Class DE4(B-B)226, in 1950 and rebuilt by Electro-Motive in 1957.  It was reclassified Class B-B 60 in 1962 and retired on August 27, 1969.  It was sold as American Crystal Sugar Co 64 in January 1970 and sold to Glen Monhart in 1980.  It was painted as Chicago Madison & Northern 564 and became Wisconsin & Calumet RR 901 in 1985.  It was sold as MRAX 901 in 1992.  It was sent to the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay and later sold as Escanaba & Lake Superior 901. 


T. J. Moss Tie Co.

On the far north side of Milwaukee, where the belt line is joined by the Fox Valley line of the Chicago & North Western is Granville. Here was a small station which kept getting run into since it was located at a jog in Highway 100, the highway around Milwaukee. One of the main industries a half-century ago was the Moss Tie Company. One day I caught their 2 Spot which was a narrow gauge Davenport. They say that the 1 Spot was a mule, but I can't verify that. I would imagine that this is all long gone.

Andrew Roach sent us the following updated information. The Moss Tie Co. was bought by Kerr-McGee and closed around 1978. It is now a Super Fund site with a 26 million price tag to clean up. Kerr-McGee said they could not clean it up and gave Milwaukee county several acres of land there for a park. The C&NW built an auto unloading ramp there in the early 80's. Now the feds want Kerr-McGee, Milwaukee County, and the CNW/UP to help clean up the land ground water and possibly reroute a river there.

Brian Rumary adds the following from England. The system was 2 foot gauge. He lists two Davenport locos for the site. One was an 18 tonner, #3062 built in December, 1947, for this location. It went to Moss-American at Avoca, PA in December, 1976. The other locomotive was a 20 tonner. It is uncertain, but it was possible built in December, 1947, #3084, for National Pole & Timber Co. of Minneapolis, MN. It went to Moss-American, Meridian, MS, also in December, 1976. This is probably the locomotive in the photo. Since both locomotives left in December, 1976, it would seem this was the likely date for closure of the place.


Municipality of East Troy

We have a full page on this line.


National Railroad Museum

1 was built by Plymouth as Algoma Plywood and Veneer Co 1.  It was donated to NRM in 1989 and later rebuilt when the cab was destroyed.


Nekoosa Paper Co.

We have a full page on this line.


Nicolet Badger Northern RR

62, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive on September 16, 1948, #5761, as Detroit Toledo & Ironton 914.  It was sold as Mississippi Export RR as 62 in September 1961 and sold to George R Silcott in March 1966.  It was sold as Marinette Tomahawk & Western 62 and resold as NBNR 62.

103, 65 Ton, was built by Whitcomb in September 1944, #60503, as U S Army 8497. It was sold as government surplus after WWII by Laona & Northern 103. It later became NBNR 103 in 1984.


Northern Railcar Corp.

1, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1940, #1184, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 1631, Class DE-6.  It was reclassified Class 6E-S.  It was renumbered 975 in 1959 and 947 in 1972.  It was renumbered 879 in January 1973 and retired in May 1980.  It was sold as Superior Tie & Timber Co 7 in October 1980 and resold as NRC 1.  It was sold to Didion Milling but never relettered.


Northern Railcar Leasing Co.

10C, E9A, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1956, #21605. FN 2075-A5, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 202A, Class 24E-P6. It was renumbered 32A in 1959 and transferred to Amtrak as 434 in 1973.  It was sold to Alaska RR as 2402 in 1981 and sold as Northern Railcar Leasing 10C in 1987 and leased as Scenic Dining Rail 10C in 1988.  It was sold to Wisconsin & Southern as 10C in 1991 and renumbered 101.  It became WATCo WAMX 9101.


Oak Creek Central Ry.

4 was built by Baldwin in March 1912, #37564, as Klondike Mines Ry 4.  It was sold as White Pass & Yukon 4 in 1942 and sold to V Molitor as OCC 4 in 1955.  It was sold as Peppermint & Northwestern 4 in 1960 and John Galahgan as Gold Nugget Junction RR 4 in 1972.  It was purchased by Denny Hilton in 1980 and resold to Midwest Central RR in September 1984.  It was sold to the next month in October 1984 for Steve Wild and sold as Dry Gulch RR 4.  It was apparently never used and was offered for sale by 2010.


Oconto Co.

10 was built by Lima October 1, 1923, #3240.  It was scrapped in 1943.


Peppermint & Northwestern RR

4 was built by Baldwin in March 1912, #37564, as Klondike Mines Ry 4.  It was sold as White Pass & Yukon 4 in 1942 and sold to V Molitor as Oak Creek Central Ry 4 in 1955.  It was sold as PNW 4 in 1960 and John Galahgan as Gold Nugget Junction RR 4 in 1972.  It was purchased by Denny Hilton in 1980 and resold to Midwest Central RR in September 1984.  It was sold to the next month in October 1984 for Steve Wild and sold as Dry Gulch RR 4.  It was apparently never used and was offered for sale by 2010.


Prairie Sand & Gravel Co.

No number, 65DE19A, was built by Whitcomb in November 1943, #60340, as United States Army 7970.  It was sold as Materials Services Co 49-0144 and sold to Pillsbury Corp in 1978.  It was sold to PS&GCo no number.


Robbins RR

 We have a full page on this narrow gauge logger.


Rock River Thresheree

Sharon Decker of the Illinois Prairie Railroad Foundation loaned us a copy of the December 1966 "Engineers and Engines" magazine which is primarily concerned with threshing engines and the like. One picture from the magazine was this two foot gauge locomotive which the article says was at Threshermans Park, near Edgerton. Then we got another picture taken 35 years later from Todd Ligman.

A second Henschel has also been acquired.


Sandley Light Railway Equipment Co.

Riverside & Great Northern Ry.

We have a full page on this 15 inch gauge manufacturer.


Scenic Dining Rail

10C, E9A, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1956, #21605, FN 2075-A5, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 202A, Class 24E-P6. It was renumbered 32A in 1959 and transferred to Amtrak as 434 in 1973.It was sold to Alaska RR as 2402 in 1981 and sold as Northern Railcar Leasing 10C in 1987 and leased as SDR 10C in 1988. It was sold to Wisconsin & Southern as 10C in 1991 and renumbered 101.  It became WATCo WAMX 9102.


Jos. Schlitz Brewing Co.

46 "Baraboo", lounge observation car.  It became Circus World Museum 46 "Baraboo".


H. V. Smith Co.

This machine dealer had 3 narrow gauge engines in 1948.  No information on them or on the company.

7.

No number.

No number was built by Plymouth.


Thunder Lake Lumber Co.

We have a full page on this narrow gauge logger.


Upham Lumber & Furniture Co.

47 "Old Vanderbilt" was built by Taunton Mfg in 1847, #7, as New York Providence & Boston RR 1 "Oregon".  It was sold and rebuilt as New York Central & Hudson RR 47 "Cornelius Vanderbilt" and sold as Wisconsin Central Ry 47 in 1882.  It was leased to UL&F in 1886 and sold in 1887.  It was lettered "Old Vanderbilt".  It was retired in 1898 and the boiler was reused as a heating plant.  It was apparently retired around 1914.


Vilas County Lumber Co.

This lumber operation was in far northern Wisconsin. We have no roster information on 7.


Wisconsin & Calumet RR

We have a full page on this fallen flag.


Wisconsin & Michigan RR

In 1938 this railroad was abandoned. It operated between Menominee, Michigan, and Iron Mountain, Michigan, but most of the trackage was in Wisconsin. You would have to look at a map to see how this can be practical. In 1932, they had 4 locomotives, 114 freight cars, 1 passenger car, and 1 service car. Total mileage was 79.33 miles operated. 

Mike Kehoe has supplied a photo of the 4 spot courtesy of a friend.

527 was built by Baldwin in 1920, #53537.  It was sold in 1937 to Rock Island Southern as 527 and retired in 1953.

600 was built by Baldwin in October 1922, #55722.  It was sold in 1937.


Wisconsin Fish Commission

Badger 2 was built by Pullman Co in September 1913, Lot 4015.  It was used with steel tanks to carry fish to restock  streams and rivers.   It was sold to Walter H Knapp Inc as 104 and converted as a office car.  It was sold to Mid-Continent Railway Museum in 1960 and set up as coach 104.  It was sent to Hillsboro for service in 1962 and then to North Freedom in 1963.  It was restored as-rebuilt beginning in 1986 and completed in 2008.


Wisconsin Great Northern RR

200, SD38, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1971, #37704, as Bessemer & Lake Erie 865, Class W-6A2. It was transferred as Duluth Missabe & Iron Range 200 on January 26, 1993, and retired on April 15, 2008.  It was sold as WGN 200 in August 2009.

423, F7A, was built in October 1949, #8556, as Chicago & North Western 4076-A. It was rebuilt for suburban service in April 1961 and renumbered 423 in 1972. It was leased to New Jersey Transit as 423 in 1983, It was sold officially on January 8, 1985.  It was sold as WGN 423 in 2001.

852, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive  in March 1940, #1042, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 1616, Class DE-6.  It was reclassified Class 6E-S and renumbered 950 in 1959 and 862 in January 1973.  It was retired in May 1980 and sold to Independent Locomotive Co in January 1983.  It was sold as Pillsbury Co 862 and became Peavey Grain Co 862.  It was sold as WGN 862 in 1998.

2555, GP35, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1965, #30134, FN 7788-6, as Soo Line RR 731. It became Wisconsin Central Ltd 731 in 1987 and was later renumbered 2555.  It was sold as WGN 2555 and resold as Northern Plains RR as 3509.


Yawkey-Bissell Lumber Co.

19 was built by Baldwin in March 1924, #57667, as Charcoal Iron Co of America 19.  It was sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive and sold as Y-BL 19.  It was sold to Marinette Tomahawk & Western as 19 and later donated to City of Tomahawk.

 

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

10/15/2016

Memorial of Blessed Narcis Basté y Basté, martyred by Spanish communists in 1936

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

 

Work hard every day at increasing your purity of heart, which consists in appraising things and weighing them in the balance of God's will.

---St. Francis de Sales