Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc. You can find it at Ebay as trinitydon .
This site is non-profit and non-commercial. We are free of advertising on
this site but there are costs in internet services. If you enjoy this
site, we do need support. We would
appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.
Don's Rail Photos
Cedar Rapids & Iowa City
Iowa Electric Light & Power Co.
The Crandic was formed in 1903, and service began on August 13, 1904. Freight service began immediately with one express motor and one locomotive. It continued to grow and became the major source of income for this company. Passenger service ended on May 30, 1953, but electric freight continued until October 30, 1953, when diesels took over. Today it is a major freight hauler. In the same family is the power generating utility, IEL&P.
50 was one of the original cars and was built by Stephenson in 1904. It was scrapped in 1940.
IEL&P 50 was a 45 Ton General Electric built in January, 1943, #15732, and was formerly U. S. Army 7152 until 1970.
51 was built by St. Louis Car Co. in 1915 under order #1060. I have no record of the date of retirement.
52 was built in the company shops in 1920 from a gas electric. It collided with car 107 and was destroyed in 1923. The motors went to locomotive 75.
IEL&P 52, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1940, #1088, FN E321-1, as Philadelphia Bethlehem & New England 12. It was rebuilt by Electro-Motive in June 1956 and sent to Cornwall RR as 12. In 1963 it went to Patapsco & Back River RR as 155. In 1966 it was sold to Whisler Equipment who sold it to IEL&P that same year.
53 was built in the company shops in 1923 using the trucks from car 107. In 1954 it went to Iowa Electric Light & Power Co. as 53. In 1968 it was sold to the Iowa Terminal RR for parts.
54 was built in the company shops in 1927 from a partially completed body and equipment purchased from the Puget Sound Electric Ry. It was scrapped in 1954.
55 was built by Detroit United Ry. in 1927 as 2009. It was purchased in 1935. In 1955 it was purchased for preservation by the Indiana Museum of Transportation.
56 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in December, 1919, #52669, as Northeastern Oklahoma Ry. 1. It was purchased in 1940, and then sold to the Kansas City Kaw Valley RR as 506 in 1954. In 1963 it became Iowa Terminal RR 52. It burned November 24, 1967.
57 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in May,1921, #54748, as NEO Ry. 2. It was purchased in 1940, and then sold to the KCKV as 505 in 1954. In 1963 it became IAT 51.
58 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in October, 1920, #53784, as Washington & Old Dominion 50. It was acquired by the CRANDIC in 1947 was rebuilt as 58. In 1955, it was sold to the KCKV as 507. In 1962, it became IAT 53, and it was renumbered 50 in 1963. It is now Iowa Traction RR 50.
59 is a 65 Ton Diesel built by General Electric, June, 1943, #17880. It replaced electric locomotive 58 in September, 1968, when it was purchased from the U. S. Navy where it was 65-00054. Originally it carried the number 2.
72 was built by Oklahoma Rys in 1929 as 603. In 1946 it was sold to Union Electric Ry. where it kept the original number. In 1948 it was sold to the CRANDIC and was renumbered 72. In 1955 it was sold to the Chicago Aurora & Elgin as 4005.
73 was built by ORys in 1929 as 604. In 1946 it was sold to UERy where it kept the original number. In 1948 it was sold to the CRANDIC and was renumbered 73. In 1955 it was sold to the CA&E as 4006.
75 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in March, 1904, #23824, as 1. It was rebuilt and renumbered in 1910. In 1941 it became IEL&P 75 and was replaced by 53. It was scrapped in 1955.
76 was built in the company shops in 1910 from a flat car.
90, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in April, 1953, #18100, FN 6477-1. It was formerly Unity Rys 53, acquired in 1965.
91, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1953, #18784, FN 4232-1. It was rebuilt as SW900 in 1990 and sold as Oregon Pacific Ry 801 in 2008.
92, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1953, #18785, FN 4232-2.
93, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1953, #18786, FN 4232-3, and it was sold to Archer-Daniels-Midland Corn Sweetners 93 in 1996.
94, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in 1959, #25443, FN 4430-1.
95, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1951, #14101, FN 6242-3, as Pittsburgh & Lake Erie 8933, Class DES-16L. It was reclassified in 1966 as Class ES-12m, and renumbered 1251 in December 1971. It was sold as Bangor & Aroostook 35 in November 1972. It was sold as CIC 95 in October 1973.
96, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1953, #18352, FN 4179-6, as Southern Pacific 4617, Class DS-303. It was reclassified Class DS-603 and renumbered 1122, Class ES408-3 in 1966, In 1978 it was sold to CIC as 96. It later was sold to East Dubuque Sand & Gravel Co as 96 and later as IEI Barge Services as 96.
97, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1952, #17606, FN 3155-13, as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 1275. It was rebuilt at Silvis in January 1977 as CRI&P 4424 "John W Barriger III". It was CIC as 97 in 1981 and returned to Chrome Crankshaft Co in 1986 as 97. It then was sold to Iowa Interstate as 400 in January 1988.
2nd 97, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1966, #31239, FN 4491-2, as Texas & Pacific 1291. It was transfered to Missouri Pacific 1291 in October 1976 and it was retired and sold to Chrome on June 14, 1985. It was sold to CIC 97 in August 1986.
98, slug, was rebuilt as Seaboard Coast Line 3010 from a Baldwin switcher. It was sold as CIC 98 in 1985 and resold as Century Coal Co 98. It was later sold as Larry's Truck Equipment 98 in 1997.
99, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1966, #31220, as MP 1146. It was sold to Chrome and sold as CIC 99.
102, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1959, #25299, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 304, Class 17.5E-RS.. It was sold to National Railway Equipment Co in October 1984 and sold as CIC 102.
104, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1958, #24762, FN 5580-8, as Minneapolis & St Louis 707. It became Chicago & North Western 707 and rebuilt at Oelwein as 4539 on August 24, 1979. It was retired in 1992 and sold to Kramer Diesel Supply Co. It was sold as CIC 104 and resold as Eastern Illinois RR 1040 in September 2005.
105, GP9 was built by Electro-Motive in January 1959, #25048, as C&NW 1758. It was rebuilt at Oelwein as 4545 on December 28, 1979 and sold to Kramer Diesel Supply in 1992. It was sold as CIC 105.
106, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1951, #14383, FN 4093-31, as Illinois Central 9460, SW9. It was renumbered 460 in December 1959 and rebuilt as SW14 1408 in 1978 and sold to National Ry Equipment Co on March 28, 1994. It was sold as CIC 106.
111, GP35u, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1964, #28477, FN 7695-16, as Southern Pacific 7423, Class DF-623. It was renumbered 6535, Class EF425-1, in 1966 and then rebuilt in 1979 as 6338, Class EF425N-1. It was rebuilt as CIC 111, and sold as Birmingham Southern RR 711. It became WATCo as WAMX 3873.
114, GP35u, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1965, #30139, FN 7785-6, as SP 7732, Class DF-626. It was renumbered 6629, Class EF425-4, in 1966 and then rebuilt in December 1979 as 6355, Class EF425K-1. It was rebuilt as CIC 114, and sold as BSRR 714. It became WAMX 3874.
118, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1966, #32118, FN 4487-4, as Kansas City Southern 1501. It was renumbered 4323 in January 1973 and sold as CIC 118 in 2007.
119, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1966, #32117, FN 4487-3, as KCS 1502. It was renumbered 4322 in January 1973 and sold as CIC 119 in 2007.
This unnumbered 22-1/2 Ton CRI-6 was built by Whitcomb in July 1929, #12897, as Tama & Toledo RR 1. It was sold as IEL&P until 1954.
Another unnumbered locomotive at IEL&P was a 25 Ton General Electric built in November 1944, #27810. as Tama & Toledo 2 until 1954.
WebWork by rinity echnology Co.
Memorial of Saint Brigid of Kilbride
The Cross is the way to Paradise, but only when it is borne willingly.
—St. Paul of the Cross