Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc. You can find it at Ebay as trinitydon .
This site is non-profit and non-commercial. We are free of advertising on
this site but there are costs in internet services. If you enjoy this
site, we do need support. We would
appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.
Don's Rail Photos
Georgia Southwestern RR
The GSWR runs on a portion of the former Central of Georgia route that ran between Smithville, GA and Eufaula, AL and a portion of the connecting branch from Eufaula, AL to White Oak, AL. The line between Smithville, GA and Eufaula, AL was constructed by The South Western Railroad Company in 1860, in 1869 The South Western Railroad Co. leased its lines to the Central Railroad and Banking Company of Georgia, and by 1954 the "Central" held the majority of the stock of The South Western Railroad, thus making those lines part of the Central of Georgia system. The rail line was extended from Eufaula to Montgomery between 1869 and 1870 by The Montgomery and Eufaula Railroad Company, and was initially acquired by The Central Railroad and Banking Co. in 1879, it was formally transferred to the Central of Georgia in 1895. The connecting branch at Eufaula was originally The Eufaula and Clayton Railroad Co. built in 1872 (actually constructed by the Vicksburg and Brunswick Railroad Co.); between 1887 and 1888 the line was extended from Clayton to Ozark by The Eufaula and East Alabama Railway Co., in 1888 both the E&C Railroad and E&EA Ry. Co. were consolidated into the Savannah and Western Railroad Co. in 1895 the Central railroad acquired the Savannah and Western Railroad Co.
In 1972 the Central of Georgia abandoned the line between Eufaula, AL and Union Springs, AL, later in 1985 under the control of the Norfolk Southern Corp., the C of G abandoned the line between Union Springs, AL and Montgomery, AL. The line between Ozark and Clayton was abandoned in 1977, and later in 1986 the line between Clayton and White Oak was abandoned.
In 1988, the NS leased under its Thoroughbred Short Line Program the line between Eufaula, AL and Smithville, GA, and the connecting branch between Eufaula, AL and White Oak, AL to the Georgia & Alabama Railroad (a subsidiary of RailTex, Inc.).
The Georgia Southwestern Railroad actually began as a division of the South Carolina Central Railroad (a subsidiary of RailTex, Inc.) in November 1988 operating between Rhine, GA and Mahrt, AL, and Columbus, GA and Bainbridge, GA (the lines made junction at Richland, GA), both line segments were acquired from CSXT. In that same year, another division of the South Carolina Central Railroad, the Georgia & Alabama Division began operating the Smithville, GA to Eufaula, AL line leased from the Norfolk Southern Corp. These two divisions were followed up by a third, the Georgia Great Southern division which began operating the Dawson, GA to Albany, GA line acquired from CSXT. All three divisions operated as separate units of the South Carolina Central Railroad.
In late 1995 the GSW Division discontinued their operation of Rhine, GA to Rochelle, GA; Preston, GA to Omaha, GA; and Cusseta, GA to Cuthbert, GA, the line segments were reacquired by CSXT and abandoned. The only line segment to have track removed was Cusseta to Cuthbert, the State of Georgia DOT purchased the other two segments and saved them from scraping. In 1995 RailTex sold the Mahrt Yard to Mead Paper.
In August 1995 the GSW Division leased from the Norfolk Southern Corp. the line between Ochille, GA and B.V.& E. Jct. (Americus, GA), this permitted the continued handling of traffic between Bainbridge, GA and Columbus, GA. The GSW also acquired trackage rights between Ochille and Columbus, and between B.V. & E. Jct. – Smithville – and Albany, GA.
In September 1996, the Georgia Southwestern Railroad Co., was incorporated to consolidate the operations of the 3 divisions of the South Carolina Central (GSW, GAAB, and GGS) under one operating entity. This was the official beginning of today’s Georgia Southwestern Railroad.
In 1997, the GSWR sold to the Rails to Trails Conservancy the portion of the former GGS line between Sasser, GA and Albany, GA. In mid 1998 the GSWR leased the former Rhine-Rochelle line back from the State of Georgia (the line was actually extended to Vidalia, GA) In early 2000 the GSWR leased the Rochelle – Preston and Omaha-Mahrt lines, and transferred the GA DOT Vidalia line to the Heart of Georgia Railroad. At about the same time, the GSWR sold the Rochelle to Preston line to the Georgia Department of Transportation. In 2000 the GSWR also became a wholly owned subsidiary of Rail America, Inc. with its merger with RailTex, Inc.
In early 2002, Rail America sold the GSWR to local ownership in conjunction with its line sales of Lynn (Bainbridge), GA to Cuthbert, GA, Dawson, GA to Sasser, GA; and Cusseta, GA and Columbus, GA to the Georgia Department of Transportation.
21, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1956, #22111, FN 5474-2, as New York New Haven & Hartford as 1201, Class DERS-4. It became Penn Central 7531, Class ERS-17s, in 1969, and then Consolidated Railroad Corp 7531, Class GP-9. It was renumbered 7271 and later sold to Cape Cod & Hyannis as 21. It was then sold to South Carolina Central as 21 in April 1989 and later to GSWR as 21. Then it became Carolina Piedmont RR as 21 in November 1990 and then Georgia & Albany as 21.
22, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1955, #20642, FN 5034-22, as Northern Pacific 239. It became Burlington Northern 1865, Class GP-9, in 1970. It was retired in July 1983 and sold to Chrome Crankshaft in September 1983. It was sold to CC&H as 22 and sold as GSWR 22.
1900, SD9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1959, #25261, FN 5600-3, as Duluth Missabe & Iron Range 161, Class RS-4. It was sold to Western Rail Dismantlers in 1998 and resold to CF Locomotive. It was sold as GSWR 1900 and sold to Bro-Tex International Metals in October 2011.
2127, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1952, #16377, FN 5145-11, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 2733, Class 2650. It was rebuilt at Cleburne in August 1978 as 2127, Class 2050. In August 1990 it was sold to Railtex as GSWR 2127. In September 1997 it was moved to Goodrich-Exeter RR 2127.
2130, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1952, #17636, FN 5219-13, as AT&SF 2825, Class 2650. It was rebuilt in September 1978 at Cleburne as 2130, Class 2050. It was retired in June 1989 and sold to Railtex in February 1990. It was assigned to GSWR as 2130 and then transferred to Georgia Great Southern and kept the same number. It was return to GSWR and in January 1999 it went to DGNO and was renumbered 702.
2185, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1952, #16383, FN 5145-17, as AT&SF 2736, Class 2650. It was rebuilt by Cleburne in February 1980 as 2185, Class 2050. It became GSWR as 2185 in September 1989 and later as Virginia Southern as 2185 in 1998.
2207, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1951, #13185, FN 5054-10, as AT&SF 2664, Class 2650. It was rebuilt in Cleburne in September 1980 as 2207, Class 2050. It was retired in July 1991 and sold to Railtex in November 1991. It became DGNO 2207 in April 1992 and later it was sent to Salt Lake City Southern as 2207 in 1993. It then became GSWR as 2207 in 2007 and became Valdosta Ry 2207 in March 2007.
3801, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1963, #28775, FN 7694-4, as Texas & Pacific 603. It was renumbered 2503 in 1974 and then Missouri Pacific 2503 in 1974. It was rebuilt as 2602 in 1976 and sold to Wilson Ry Corp on January 5, 1987. It became Wisconsin Central Ltd 4001 in October 1987. It was later renumbered 4012 to make place for an SD40. It was later rebuilt and renumbered 2060. It was sold to Western Rail Inc and rebuilt as a GP38 and became GSWR 3801 in 2005. It was renumbered 2059 in 2012.
3802, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1970, #36043, FN 7240-43, as Southern Ry 2795. It was sold as Western Rail Inc 2795 and sold as GSWR 3802.
3808, GP38M-2, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1969, #35248, FN 7189-3, as Southern 2718, GP38. It was sold as Locomotive Leasing Partners 2001 and rebuilt by VMV Enterprises as New England Central RR 3808 in 1998. It was transferred as Cape Breton & Central Nova Scotia RR 3808 and transferred as North Carolina & Virginia RR 3808. It was transferred as Georgia Southwestern RR 3808 and transferred as VSO 3808. It was sold as Vermont Ry 3808 in 2011 and renumbered 207 in January 2013
4000, SD40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1973, #72641-9, FN 72641-9, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 29, Class 30ERS6. It was renumbered Soo Line 6313 in 1985. In July 1988 it was retired and later went to General Motors lease fleet as 6413. It was sold as GSWR 4000 in 2006 and became Columbus & Greenville Ry 3309 in 2010.
4001, SD40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1973, #72640-3, FN 72649-3, as CMStP&P 173, Class 30ERS6. It was renumbered Soo Line 6346 in 1985. In July 1988 it was retired and later went to GM lease fleet as 6346. It was sold as GSWR 4001 in 2006 and became CAGY 3310 in 2010.
4002, SD40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1975, #74690-21, FN 74690-1, as Missouri Pacific 3184. It became Union Pacific 4184 on August 20, 1987, and retired on April 19, 1990. It was sold as General American Transporation Corp 7365. It was sold as GSWR 4002 in 2006 and renumbered 3311 in 2010.
4003, SD40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1976, #756145-05. FN 756145-05, as MP 3320. It was renumbered 6004 in May 1978 and became UP 3904 on January 21, 1987. It was retired on February 1, 1994 and sold as GATX 904. It was sold as Georgia Southwestern RR 904 and renumbered 4003 in 2006. It became CAGY 3312 in 2010.
4005, GP40, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1968, #34083, FN 7102-7, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 200. It was assigned Union Pacific 506 but was retired on October 9, 1992, and sold to National Ry Equipment Co. They sold it to Virginia Southern as 200 and transferred as GSWR 4005. It was transferred as Alabama & Gulf Coast 4005 in 2004 and sold to Bro-Tex International Metals in October 2011.
4026, GP40, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1966, #31879 as Norfolk & Western 1339. It was sold to Railtex as GSWR 1339 in 1998 and rebuilt and renumbered 4026 in 1999. It was sold to Bro-Tex International Metals in October 2011.
4027, GP40, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1966, #31882, as N&W 1342. It was sold to Railtex in 1995 as Central Oregon & Pacific 1342 and then transferred as GSWR 1342. It was renumbered 4027 in 1999 and transferred as AGC 4027 in 2004. It was sold to Bro-Tex International Metals in October 2011.
4028, GP40, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1966, #31891, as N&W 1351. It was sold to Railtex as GSWR 1351 in 1998 and renumbered 4028 in 1999. It was transferred as AGC 4028 in 2004. It was sold to Bro-Tex International Metal in October 2011.
4029, GP40, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1966, #31892, as N&W 1352. It was sold to Railtex as GSWR 1352 in 1998 and rebuilt and renumbered 4029 in 1999. It was sold to Bro-Tex International Metals in October 2011.
5078, Class GP-38, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1967, #33709, as Chesapeake & Ohio 3878, Class GP-38. It was later 2078 and then became CSX Transportation 2078, Class GP-38. It was sold to National Railway Equipment Co and sold to Virginia Southern as 5078. It was transferred to GSWR as 3813.
6409, GP40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1972, #7359-4, as
Detroit Toledo & Ironton
6409, GP40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1972, #7359-4, as
Detroit Toledo & Ironton
Detroit Toledo & Ironton409. It became Grand Trunk Western 6409, Class GF-430j, in 1984 and sold to Progress Rail on March 1, 2002. It was sold as
Railcar Limited6409 and resold as GSWR 6409.
6432, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1955, #20436, FN 5393-7, as Baltimore & Ohio 682, Class RSE-8c. It was renumbered 6432 in 1957, Class FSE-2, and became Class GP-9 in 1964. It was assigned CSX 0432 but retired on January 29, 1987. It was sold to Steel Processing and shipped off on December 16, 1988. It was sold as GSWR 6432 but retired by 2000.
WebWork by rinity echnology Co.
Memorial of Blessed Maria Crucified Satellico
God writes His name on the soul of every man.
— Archbishop Fulton Sheen