Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc. You can find it at Ebay as trinitydon .
This site is non-profit and non-commercial. We would
appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.
Photos London & Port Stanley Railway
Don's Rail Photos
London & Port Stanley Railway
The L&PS was built as a steam railroad which completed the line in 1856. It was operated under lease for many years, first by the Grand Trunk, and later by the Pere Marquette. In 1914, the lease was not renewed, and the City of London, who controlled the railroad, decided to electrify. This was completed on July 22, 1915. In 1957, a change to 60-cycle power caused the line to drop passenger service and dieselize the freight service. In 1965, the line was sold to the Canadian National. For further history see the Ontario Railway History Page or William Miller's L&PS page.
Motor cars were given even numbers and trailers got odd numbers.
1 was built by Preston Car Co in 1915.
2 was built by Jewett Car Co in 1915. These cars were steel with a modified roof similar to those used on the New York Westchester & Boston.
3 was built by Preston Car Co in 1915.
4 was built by Jewett Car Co in 1915.
5 was built by Preston Car Co in 1915. It was "modernized" by covering the upper sash windows.
6 was built by Jewett Car Co in 1915.
7 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1908. Roy King gives us additional information regarding these cars:
In 1908, the St Louis Monte Sano and Southern ordered 8 cars from St Louis and then went bankrupt, and of course, the line never materialized. The car bodies stayed at St Louis until 1916, when the L&PS, desperate because of the war, for cars for the newly electrified line bought the car bodies. Ultimately they only used three which became their 7, 9 & 11. The other five, eventually, again because of the War, became Washington Baltimore &Annapolis 88-92.
8 was built by Jewett Car in 1915.
9 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1908.
10 was built by Jewett Car in 1915.
11 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1908.
12 was a straight coach motor car built by Jewett in 1917 and was somewhat longer than the combines.
13 was a old steam railroad coach from pre-electric days rebuilt to train with the electric cars.
14 was a straight coach motor car built by Jewett in 1917.
15 was a old steam railroad coach from pre-electric days rebuilt to train with the electric cars.
16 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #413, as Wisconsin Traction Light Heat & Power Co 102. It was rebuilt by Milwaukee Electric Ry & Light Co in 1924 as parlor car 2, "Menominee". In 1927, it was renumbered 1135. It was seldom used after that, and in 1941 it was converted to a coach and sold to L&PS as 16. With the abandonment of the L&PS in 1955, your author was part of a committee of Illinois Electric Ry Museum which went to London to ship this car and the 1129 back. It was thought that the 1135 had been the "Mendota" which was car 1, but members of the IRM found the true identity when working on the car in 1970. It is currently undergoing restoration at Union, IL.
17 was a old steam railroad coach from pre-electric days rebuilt to train with the electric cars.
18 was built by Kuhlman Car in February 1909, #413, as WTLH&P 106. It was rebuilt in 1924 as parlor car 1, "Mendota". In 1927, it was renumbered 1136. Like the 1135, it was seldom used and was sold to the L&PS in 1941 as coach 18. It was sold as a summer cottage in 1955 when the L&PS abandoned passenger service.
19 was a old steam railroad coach from pre-electric days rebuilt to train with the electric cars.
21 was also a Kuhlman car, but it had been rebuilt as coach 1129 in 1924. When it was acquired by the L&PS it was used as a control trailer. It went to the IRM with the 16 (1135) in 1955.
23 was built by St. Louis Car Co in 1907 as TMER&L 1110. In 1924 it was rebuilt as parlor car 3 and named "Waubeesee". In 1927 the car was renumbered 1134 and was used only ocassionely afterwards. In 1941 it was sold to the L&PS as 23. It was a control trailer and had an extra baggage door cut into the left side. It was sold as a summer cottage in 1955 when the L&PS abandoned passenger service.
Express motor E1 was built by St. Louis in 1915.
Extra baggage capacity was obtained by using modified box cars B1 and B2.
Freight and occasional passenger specials were handled by box cab locomotives. L1 thru L3, which were built by General Electric in March, April, and May, 1915, #5000 thru 5002.
L1 was built by General Electric in March 1915, #5000. It was preserved by Canadian Science & Technology Museum in 1967 and sent to Elgin County Railway Museum in 1995.
L2 was built by General Electric in April 1915, #5001. It was donated to London Public Library Board in 1956 and preserved by Canadian Railway Historical Association in 1972. It was transferred to Haltom County Radial Ry in 1997.
L3 was built by General Electric in May 1915, #5002. It was scrapped.
Work Equipment was simple and straight-forward. The Line Car was rebuilt from a caboose.
Snow was fought using snow plow SP1 and auxiliary flanger AF1.
WebWork by rinity echnology Co.
Memorial of Saint Caesarius of Nanzianzen
Those who lived according to the old order of things have come to a new hope, no longer keeping the Sabbath, but the Lord's Day, in which our life is blessed by Him and by His death.
-- St. Ignatius of Antioch, Ad Magnesios 9:1