Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc. You can find it at Ebay as trinitydon .
This site is non-profit and non-commercial. We are free of advertising on
this site but there are costs in internet services. If you enjoy this
site, we do need support. We would
appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.
Photos Third Avenue Railway Non Revenue Equipment
Don's Rail Photos
Third Avenue Railway
Non Revenue Equipment
The TARS had an interesting variety of work equipment, much of it converted from older passenger equipment. There are duplications of numbers, and we appreciate the work done by Vincent Seyfreid almost a half century ago.
Car 1 was a rail grinder rebuilt from Birney 1656 in 1932. This car was built by Bradley Car Co in 1919, #6225, as Westchester Street Ry 303. It became TARS 1656 in 1927. It was retired in 1948.
These cars were converted for work service from single truck passenger cars.
2 was a pay car built by American Car in 1896. It was removed from passenger service in 1911 and made into a pay car in 1915 and numbered 492. In 1924 it was renumbered 2 and scrapped on August 29, 1947.
5 was a sand car which was originally a Union Ry passenger car. It was converted to sand service in 1909 as car A. In 1916 it was renumbered 1. In 1919 it was renumbered 5. It was retired in July 1948 and scrapped soon after.
6 was a sand car and was originally a Union Ry passenger car. It was converted to sand service in 1910 as car B. It was changed to C in 1913. In 1920 it was renumbered 6.
12 was a sand car built by TARS in 1929. The ends came from one of the convertible cars. It was scrapped in the summer of 1948.
15 was converted from a passenger car in 1913. It was retired in 1947.
19 was converted from a passenger car in 1913. It was scrapped in the Spring of 1948.
20 was built by Brill in 1895 as cable trailer mail car A. It was electrified in 1898. When mail service ended it was converted to a supply car by the Metropolitan Street Ry. When it came back to TARS, it was renumbered 1. In 1918 it was renumbered 20, and it was scrapped in March 1948.
23 had the same history but was originally D. Then it was numbered 4 and renumbered 23 in 1919. It was scrapped in March 1948.
32 was built by LaClede in 1892 as a cable car. It was electrified in 1899 and was taken over by Metropolitan Street Ry in 1900 and renumbered. In 1907 it was returned to TARS and renumbered 234. It was converted to a slot scraper in 1908 and renumbered 32 in 1924. It was scrapped June 27, 1947.
33 was built by LaClede in 1893 as cable car 220 and was electrified in 1899. It was taken over by MstRy in 1900 and returned to TARS in 1907 when it was renumbered 275. It was converted to a slot scraper in 1908 and renumbered 33 in 1924. It was donated to the Branford trolley museum in 1948 and has been restored to its original number, 220.
There were some impressive cranes, but some of the numbers overlap other series.
4 was built by Brill in June 1923 and was used for many years on the Steinway Lines. It was retired in 1948.
6 was built by Wason in 1911 as Connecticut Ry & Lighting Co 0226. It was purchased in 1937 and put into service in 1938. It was retired in July 1948.
7 was built by American Hoist in May 1911. It was scrapped on August 7, 1948.
Differential Car supplied side dump motor 8 in 1916. It was scrapped in 1948.
10 was loaded with old sweeper brooms and was a flat bed motor built in 1909. It was scrapped on September 15, 1947
11 was loaded with old sweeper brooms and was a flat bed motor built in 1909. It was scrapped at an unknown date.
And there were sweepers.
17 was built by Brill in 1909.
31 was built by McGuire in 1914 and scrapped in May 1948.
51 was built by Russell in October 1914 and scrapped in 1948.
60 was built by McGuire in 1914. It was burned in December 1952.
61 was built by McGuire in 1914. It was burned in December 1952.
68 was built by McGuire in 1914. It was assigned to the Westchester Electric RR until it was scrapped in May 1948.
69 was built by McGuire in 1914. It was assigned to the Westchester Electric RR until it was scrapped in May 1948.
86 was built by Russell Car Co in 1920 as Eastern Massachusetts Street Ry P-601. It was purchased by TARS in 1935. On September 26, 1947, it was shipped to the Toronto Transportation Commission as S-31.
89 was built by Russell Car Co in 1920 as EMStRt P-607. It became TARS 89 in 1935 and on September 26, 1947, it was sold as TTC S-36. It was acquired by Branford Electric Ry Association in 1973.
WebWork by rinity echnology Co.
All Hallow’s Eve
Memorial of Our Lady of Palestine
Mary was the most perfect among the saints only because she was always perfectly united to the will of God.
--St. Alphonsus Liguori