Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc. You can find it at Ebay as trinitydon .
This site is non-profit and non-commercial. We would
appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.
Don's Rail Photos
Third Avenue Railway
1200 Series Cars
In the 1930s, TARS purchased a large number of used cars from various sources. They were cars which were fairly new and could be used to upgrade the system at a lower cost than the purchase of new cars. 25 of them came from the Richmond Rys which operated nearby on Staten Island and became 1201 thru 1225. They were built by Osgood-Bradley in 1924 and were purchased and rebuilt in 1933.
1210 was formerly RR 410. One end was replaced after an accident. It was scrapped in July 1948.
1215 was formerly RR 415. Both ends were replaced by TARS. It was scrapped in July 1948.
1216 was formerly RR 416. It was scrapped in July 1948.
1220 was formerly RR 420. It was sold for scrap on May 10, 1948.
1224 was formerly RR 424. It was scrapped in early August 1948.
1225 was formerly RR 425. It was scrapped in July 1948.
1226 and 1227 were built by Osgood-Bradley in 1924 as Poughkeepsie & Wappingers Falls Street Ry. 51 and 52. They were sold shortly to the Northern States Power Co. in Eau Claire, WI, as 251 and 252. In 1933, they returned to the East as 1226 and 1227.
1226 was rebuilt and placed in service on August 22, 1934. It was sold for scrap on May 10, 1948.
1228 and 1229, built by Wason in 1922, came from the Androscoggin & Kennebec Ry. in Maine in 1933.
1228 was formerly A&K 182 and was rebuilt and numbered 1246 in April 1934. Later that year it was renumbered 1228. It was scrapped in July 1948.
1230 thru 1239 came from San Antonio Public Service in late 1933. 501 thru 509 had been built by American Car Co. in 1923.
1235 was SAPS 505 and entered service on August 15, 1934. It was scrapped in July 1948.
1236 was SAPS 506 and entered service on July 19, 1934. It was scrapped in July 1948.
1237 was SAPS 507 and entered service on July 12, 1934. It was scrapped in July 1948.
1240 thru 1249 were also formerly San Antonio Public Service cars . 510 thru 519 were built by St. Louis Car in 1925. They arrived in 1934.
1241 was formerly SAPS 511 and was scrapped on July 6, 1948.
1244 was formerly SAPS 514 and was scrapped in July 1948.
1250 was built in by St. Louis Car in 1924 as a demonstrator. It was sold to Kankakee & Urbana 242 in 1924. It was purchased by TARS in 1930 and numbered 1702. It served for a short time and then was stored. After the Texas cars were put in service, it was rebuilt and became TARS 1250 on July 24, 1934. It was scrapped on July 6, 1948.
1251 thru 1256, built by American Car between 1923 and 1925, came from Lake Superior District Power of Ironwood, MI, where they were numbered 104 thru 109.
1252 was formerly LSDP 105 and entered service on October 16, 1934. It was scrapped in July 1948.
1253 was formerly LSDP 106 and entered service on October 3, 1934. It was scrapped on July 6, 1948.
1256 was formerly LSDP 109 and entered service on November 1, 1948. It was scrapedd in early August 1948.
1257 and 1258 were built by Wason in 1925 and came from the Interstate Street Ry. of Attleboro, MA, where they were 121 and 122. They were put into service in November 1934.
1259 was renumbered in September 1935 from 1605. This had been one of the single truck convertible cars built by Brill in 1924. In 1934 and 1935 they were lengthened and most became 151-200. It was rebuilt in 1934 and is thought to have been made from two of the cars because of the differences with the other rebuilds. It was sold for scrap on My 10, 1948.
1260 thru 1262, built by Brill in 1926, were formerly Sunbury & Selinsgrove Ry. 114 thru 116 and were purchased in 1935.
1260 was formerly S&S 114 and entered service on March 23, 1936. It was scrapped in late July 1948.
1261 was formerly S&S 115 and entered service on March 23, 1936. It was scrapped on July 31, 1948.
WebWork by rinity echnology Co.
Memorial of St. Bruno of Ottobeuren
Let the heavens praise Thy wonders, O LORD,
Thy faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones!
-- Psalm 89.5