Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc. You can find it at Ebay as trinitydon .
This site is non-profit and non-commercial. We are free of advertising on
this site but there are costs in internet services. If you enjoy this
site, we do need support. We would
appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.
Don's Rail Photos
Angelina & Neches River RR
The Angelina and Neches River Railroad Company was chartered on August 23, 1900, to connect Keltys in Angelina County with Manton, twelve miles to the east. The railroad had a capital stock of $75,000. The principal place of business was Keltys. The members of the first board of directors were Joseph H. Kurth,qv S. W. Henderson, Eli Wiener, and E. T. Clark, all of Keltys; E. J. Mantooth and W. M. Glenn, both of Lufkin; and Sam Wiener, Jr., of Shreveport, Louisiana.
The line originated as a narrow-gauge tram road constructed by the Angelina County Lumber Companyqv in 1895. The Angelina and Neches River acquired ten miles of track running eastward from Keltys in August 1900, and in August 1906 purchased an additional ten miles to Alco from the lumber company. At this time the railroad was converted to standard gauge. Additional track was acquired from Angelina County Lumber Company: Alco to Naclina in June 1910 and Naclina to Chireno in June 1912. The Angelina and Neches was one of the roads involved in the Tap Line Case before the Interstate Commerce Commission in 1910. The Railroad Commissionqv did not recognize this line as a common carrier until 1911. In 1916 the A&NR owned one locomotive and five cars and reported passenger earnings of $6,000 and freight earnings of $40,000. In 1944 Southland Paper Mills was established on the railroad. In 1963 the line removed twenty-one miles of track between Dunagan and Chireno. It reported a total net income of $290,000 in 1972, when it owned two locomotives and eleven cars; it rented some of its rolling stock. The Angelina and Neches River acquired terminal tracks at Lufkin from the St. Louis Southwestern in the 1980s, when that company abandoned its line from Jacksonville to Lufkin, and about a mile of track from the Southern Pacific from Dunagan to Buck Creek.
Nancy Beck Young in Handbook of Texas Online
The Center for East Texas Studies has a complete history and roster of this railroad.
Narrow gauge 2 was built by Grant. There is no other information on this locomotive.
12, S4, was built by Alco in September 1958, #82006, and is currently in operation.
I have no information on 98.
101 was built by Baldwin in August 1905, #26204.
108 was built by Baldwin in January 1920, #52820. It was sold to the Reader RR as 108 in 1956 and then to the Conway Scenic RR as 108 in 1976. In 2000 it came back to Texas to the Blacklands RR.
208 was built by Baldwin in August 1912, #38093. In 1964 it was sold to the Trinity Valley Railway Historical Society and was displayed at Weatherford, TX. When that location was no longer available in the 1970s, it was leased to the Indiana Railway Museum at French Lick, IN. It is now being prepared for a return to Texas.
300, Model 55, was built by Brill in 1923, #21898, as Gulf Mobile & Northern 300. It was sold to the A&NR where it kept the same number in April 1928.
Angelina County Lumber Company
Affiliated with the A&NR was the ACLCo. They owned the majority stock in the railroad, and the operations were somewhat combined.
110 was built by Baldwin in September 1924, #58044. It is now on display at the Lufkin Zoo.
The history came from the The Handbook of Texas Online.
WebWork by rinity
Memorial of Our Lady of Europe
What great faith our Lord Jesus asks for us --- and how just that is. Do we not owe Him such faith? It looks impossible to us, but Jesus is Master of the impossible.
-- Blesses Charles de Foucauld