Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Bamberger Railroad

Like so many other interurbans, this line began as a steam railroad in 1891 to connect Salt Lake City and Ogden. It wasn't until 1908 that Ogden was reached. Electrification took place in 1910, and the Salt Lake & Ogden was renamed the Bamberger in honor of its builder, Simon Bamberger. The station on Temple Square was built in 1923.

Passenger service was hourly until the 1950s. Lightweights were added in 1939. But in 1952 the shops burned. Service was cut back, and abandonment came on September 6, 1952.

Freight service was always important, and the business continued to grow. During the war, diesels were acquired to supplement the electrics, but after passenger service ended, only diesels were operated.

In 1956, the road was sold to the Murchisons from Texas, and in 1959 it was abandoned. The terminal in Salt Lake City was purchased by the Rio Grande, and the north end of the line was purchased by the Union Pacific, who also acquired the locomotives.

And now they are building a new line.

125 was built by Brill in 1932, #22961, as Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville 125.  It was sold as Bamberger 125 in 1939 and retired in 1952.  The body was sold to Utah Pickle Co.

126 was built by Brill in 1932, #22961, as FJ&G 126.  It was sold as Bamberger 126 in 1939 and retired in 1952.  The body was sold to Utah Pickle Co and resold to Trolley Square in 1972.  It was acquired by a private owner in 1978 and then by Utah State Railroad Museum in 1988.

127 was built by Brill in 1932, #22961, as FJ&G 127.  It was sold as Bamberger 127 in 1939 and retired in 1952.  The body was sold to Utah Pickle Co and acquired by Orange Empire Railway Museum in 1972.

128 was built by Brill in 1932, #22961, as FJ&G 128.  It was sold as Bamberger in 128 in 1939 and retired in 1952.  The body was sold to Utah Pickle Co and resold to Trolley Square in 1972.  It was sold to Art City Trolley Restaurant in 1986.

129 was built by Brill in 1932, #22961, as FJ&G 129.  It was sold as Bamberger in 129 in 1939 and retired in 1952.  The body was sold to Utah Pickle Co.

Bamberger passenger cars were rebuilt and renumbered several times.

301 was built by Niles Car in 1913 as 316. In 1928 it was rebuilt and renumbered 438. In the same year it was rebuilt and renumberd 301. It was scrapped in 1952.

302 was built by Niles in 1910 as 404. In 1920 it was rebuilt as 435. It was rebuilt again in 1929 at 302, and it was scrapped in 1952.

322 was built by Jewett Car in 1910 as 303. It was rebuilt and renumbered in 1919.

323 was built by Niles in 1910 as 315. It was rebuilt and renumbered in 1919 and scrapped in 1952.

324 was built by Jewett in 1910 as 309. It was rebuilt and renumbered in 1919 and scrapped in 1952.

350 was built by Jewett in 1910 as 426. It was rebuilt and renumbered 428 in 1918. It was again rebuilt and renumbered 350 in 1921.

352 was built by Jewett in 1916 as 429. It was rebuilt and renumbered 432 in 1919 and again rebuilt and renumbered 352 in 1921.

353 was built by Jewett in 1916 as 425. It was rebuilt and renumbered 433 in 1919 and rebuilt and renumbered 353 in 1921.

354 was built by Jewett in 1916 as 427. It was rebuilt and renumbered 429 in 1919 and rebuilt and renumbered 354 in 1922.

355 was built by Jewett in 1916 as 430. It was rebuilt and renumbered 355 in 1923.

400 was built by Niles in 1910 as 403.  It was rebuilt as 320 in 1919 and rebuilt as 400 in 1922.  It was preserved by a private owner in 1952 and later to Western Railway Museum.

401 was built by Niles in 1910. It was rebuilt several times but never renumbered. It was scrapped in 1952.

403 was built by Jewett in 1910 as 305. It was rebuilt and renumbered in 1923.  It was acquired by the Sons of the Utah Pioneers and used by a photographer studio.

404 was built by Jewett in 1910 as 300. It was rebuilt and renumbered in 1921. It was scrapped in 1952.

405 was built by Niles in 1913 as 318. In 1920 it was rebuilt and renumbered as 306. In 1922 it was rebuilt again and renumbered 405. It was scrapped in 1952.

406 was built by Niles in 1913 as 317. In 1919 it was rebuilt and renumbered as 303. In 1928 it was rebuilt again and renumber 406. It was scrapped in 1952.

434 was built by Niles in 1910 as 400. It was rebuilt and renumbered in 1920 and scrapped in 1952.

436 was built by Niles in 1910 as 405. It was rebuilt and renumbered in 1921 and scrapped in 1952.

502 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in February 1912, #37513, as Spokane & Inland Empire Ry 502. In 1919 the company was divided and the 502 became Inland Empire Ry 502. In 1927, the Great Northern purchased the IE and merged it into the Spokane Coeur d'Alene & Palouse. In 1942 the 502 came to the Bamberger and kept the same number. It was scrapped in 1952.

503 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in March 1906, #27735, As SC&P A-1. It was later numbered M-1, and still later 503. In 1942 it came to the Bamberger with the same number. It was scrapped in 1952.

526 was built by Jewett in 1910 as passenger car 304. It was rebuilt in 1920 as 526 and scrapped in 1952.

527 was built by McGuire-Cummings in 1911 as "A". It was quickly renumbered 27. It was rebuilt in 1918 and later renumbered 527. It was scrapped in 1952.

528 was built by General Electric in 1913 as 28. It was later renumbered 528 and scrapped in 1952.

530 was built by Jewett in 1910 as passenger car 307. It was rebuilt in July 1923 as 300. In October 1939 it was rebuilt as locomotive 530.

550 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in June 1923, #56642, as San Diego Electric Ry 35. It was renumbered 1025 and sold to the Bamberger as 550 in 1941. It was scrapped in 1952.

551 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in January 1929, #60702, as Wisconsin Power & Light Co. 1000. It was sold to Bamberger as 551 in 1941 and scrapped in 1952.

570, RS1, was built by Alco in May 1943, #70820. The trolley poles were for signal activation. It was rebuilt by Electro-Motive in December 1951. When the Union Pacific took over the freight operation in May 1959 it became UP 1270. It was traded in to Electro-Motive in December 1971.

602, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive on June 1952, #17230, FN 6443-2.  It was sold as Yreka Western 602 in 1958 and transferred as Oregon Pacific & Eastern 602 in 1978.  It was sold to Oregon Pacific RR 602 in 1994 but never relettered.  It was sold to Western Rail as WRIX 602 in July 2010.

 

851 appears to be an interchange box car.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

4/12/2017

Memorial of Blessed Andrew of Montereale

Choose Life.


Home Page

 

Don's Depot

 

If you ate only one meal a week would you survive?  It is the same for your soul.  Nourish it with the Blessed Sacrament.

--- St. Andre Bessette