Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Boston Elevated Railway

Metropolitan Transit Authority

Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority

Wartime MU PCCs 3022-3196, 3222-3271

 

The second group of PCCs was ordered in May 1942 in the amount of 100 cars from Pullman-Standard. All orders were subject to government approval, and the first 50 cars, These cars were deliverd with MU control and MU couplers. They had a slanted windshield which was a design improvement over the older PCCs. The cars were put in service on Beacon Street and on Commonwealth Avenue. This doomed the older center door cars. This caused a wildcat strike in 1946 because the use of PCCs eliminated a conductor on the first car. The union wanted a conductor. The company countered by offering higher pay for the operator on the first car because of his dual duties.

In 1947, the BER became the MTA. 150 of the wartime cars were given roof fans and monitor roofs. They were called "Commonwealth" cars. Those not getting the fan system were called "flat tops." The cars received various assignments over the years. 

In 1964, the MTA became the MBTA. New color schemes developed. The first car repainted was the 3230 in February 1966. Over the years, these cars have been replaced by the LRVs. A number of them ended up in Fort Worth, TX, on the Tandy Subway. One was rebuilt for service, and the others were scrapped for parts.

Note the front trucks on 3051 and 3123.

3022 thru 3025 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.  They were delivered with tan colored roofs for "civil defense."

3026 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3027 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3028 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3029 thru 3036 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3037 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.  It was acquired by Seashore Trolley Museum in 1964.

3038 thru 3043 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3044 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3045 thru 3047 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3048 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3049 and 3050 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3051 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3052 and 3053 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3054 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3055 thru 3062 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3063 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697. The first car scrapped came due to a collision on January 25, 1965. 3063 leading a 3 car train rearended 3164 which was the last car on another train. The rear end of the 3063 was used to repair the 3164, and the 3063 was scrapped.

3064 thru 3066 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3067 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3068 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3069 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.  It was acquired by Seashore in 1985.

3070 and 3071 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1944, #W6697.

3072 thru 3080 wer built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A.

3081 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A. 

3082 thru 3086 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A. 

3087 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A.  It was rebuilt in 2000 for service. 

3088 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A.

3089 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A.

3090 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A.

3091 and 3092 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A.

3093 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A.  It was sold to Trans-Mississippi Trolley in 1991 and resold to Midwest Electric Railway Museum in 1992.  It was then sold to Gomaco Trolley in 2002.

3094 and 3095 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A. 

3096 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710A. 

3097 and 3098 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6697.

3099 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6697.

3100 thru 3146 were built by Pullman-Stamdard in  1945, #W6697 3100 was acquired by Connecticut Trolley Museum in 1986.  3122 was acquired by Seashore in 1985.  3127 was acquired by Seashore in 1985.

3100 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6697.  It was acquired by Connecticut Trolley Museum in 1986.

3101 thru 3146 were built by Pullman-Stamdard in  1945, #W6697 3122 was acquired by Seashore in 1985.  3127 was acquired by Seashore in 1985.

3101 thru 3103 were built by Pullman-Stamdard in  1945, #W6697.

3104 was built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6697.

3105 thru 3146 were built by Pullman-Stamdard in  1945, #W6697 3122 was acquired by Seashore in 1985.  3127 was acquired by Seashore in 1985.

3147 thru 3157 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710B.

3158 thru 3196 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1945, #W6710B.  3166 was rebuilt as Tandy Center 10 in 1978. It was renumbered 1 in 1983 and then as 3.  It was acquired by North Texas Historic Transportation in 2003.  3174 was acquired by Seashore in 1985.

3222 thru 3246 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1945.  3241 thru 3246 got roof headlights and air horns for use on the Riverside line.  3226 was sold to Trans-Mississippi Trolley in 1991 and resold to Midwest Electric Railway Museum in 1992.  It was then sold to Gomaco Trolley in 2002.  3229 was sold to Vintage Electric Streetcar Co in 1992.  3230 is in service.  3234 was rebuilt in 2003 and in service.  3238 was rebuilt in 2002 and is in service.  3242 was sold to Vintage in 1992.  3244 was sold to Vintage in 1992.  3246 was sold to Vintage in 1992.

3247 thru 3271 were built by Pullman-Standard in 1946.  3248 thru 3271 got roof headlights and air horns for use on the Riverside line.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

8/5/2014

Memorial of Saint Eusignius

Choose Life


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

The nations will fear the Name of the LORD,

and all the kings of the earth Thy glory.

--Psalm 102:15