Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Piedmont & Northern RR

 

The P&N was a two piece railroad which could never get itself connected. Construction began as a local suburban line out of Anderson SC in 1910. The SC line then was built to main line railroad standards between 1912 and 1914. The NC line was built in 1912. Both lines were separate railroads until merger in 1914. Freight was always the main source of revenue. Passenger traffic was heavy until the 1920s when autos began to take over. Passenger service ended in 1951 and freight was dieselized in 1954. It became part of the Seaboard Coast Line in 1970.

2 was built by Stephenson Car in 1917. It was retired in 1948 and put on display. On Holloween 1956 it was vandalized and scrapped.

4 was built by Southern Car in 1917.

351 was built by American Car & Foundry in 1914 as a combine for the Pennsylvania RR. It was purchased by P&N in 1935 and rebuilt it as car 350. On February 21, 1941, it was wrecked in a rearend collision which killed a conductor on the freight train which was hit. It was rebuilt as an express motor in 1941 and numbered 351.

2000 thru 2022 were built by Jewett in 1911 and 1912. A number of these cars were rebuilt and renumbered over the years.

2051 was rebuilt in 1928 from 2008.

2060 was rebuilt in 1941 from 2005.

2100 was built by Southern Car in 1914 as a trailer in the 2500 series. It was powered in 1919.

2102 was built by Southern Car in 1914 as a trailer in the 2500 series. It was powered in 1919.

2103 was built by Southern Car in 1914 as a trailer in the 2500 series. It was powered in 1919.

2105 was built by Southern Car in 1914 as a trailer in the 2500 series. It was powered in 1919.

"Carolina", the business car was rebuilt in the mid 1920s from observation car 2201 "Saluda" which was built by Southern Car in 1914.

5000 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse October 1911, #37124. Pantographs were installed in 1935.

5001 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse October 1911, #37150. Pantographs were installed in 1935.

5002 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse October 1911, #37151. Pantographs were installed in 1935.

5003 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse October 1911, #37152. Pantographs were installed in 1935.

5004 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse November 1911, #37272. Pantographs were installed in 1935.

5005 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse November 1911, #37273. Pantographs were installed in 1935.

5006 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse April 1917, #44508. Pantographs were installed in 1935.

5106 was built by Alco-General Electric October 1912, #51067, #3806, as Oregon Electric Ry 5. It was renumbered 25 in August 1914, and became Utah-Idaho Central 25 in 1945. In 1947 it was sold to the P&N and renumbered 5106. It was scrapped in 1951.

5600 was built by P&N in 1918 using the body of a 4000 series express motor built by Southern Car in 1911. In 1937 it was rebuilt with a steel cab. In 1949 it was rebuilt into 5612.

1005, S4, was built by Alco in October 1954, #81094.  It became Seaboard Coast Line 230 in 1970 and sold as Port Manatee RR 230 in August 1976.  It was sold as Withrow Locomotive 230 in 1989 and sold as Laurenburg & Southern 145 in in June 1994.

1603, RS3, was built by Alco in May 1951, #78763, as 103 and was renumbered in 1963. In 1970, it became SCL 1253.

2001, C420, was built by Alco in December 1965, #3430-02. In 1970, it became SCL 1239 and later Louisville & Nashville 1378, Class C-420, in August 1976.

Gastonia, NC, is a station scene which seems to capture the atmosphere of this line.

Belton, SC, is the station which is now a library.  The other station was owned by Southern Ry which was the intchange.

 

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

9/17/2014

Memorial of Saint Robert Bellarmine

Choose Life.


Home Page

email gif
Don's Depot

 

The fruit of silence is prayer, the fruit of prayer is faith, the fruit of faith is love, the fruit of love is service, the fruit of service is peace.

-- Blessed Teresa of Calcutta