Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

 Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee

Observation and Dining Cars

400 was built by Jewett Car in 1909 as parlor-buffet car.  In 1917, with the arrival of steel cars, it was converted to straight coach and retired in 1935.  It was scrapped in 1936.

401 was built by Jewett Car in 1909 as parlor-buffet car.  In 1917 it was converted to straight coach and retired in 1935.  It was leased to Chicago Aurora & Elgin and renumbered 142  in 1936.  It came back for a short time with the CA&E number in 1945 and sold to CA&E in 1946.  It was retired in 1953.

402 was built by Jewett Car in 1909 as parlor-buffel car.  In 1917 it was converted to straight coach and retired in 1935.  It was leased to CA&E and renumbered 142  in 1936.  It came back for a short time with the CA&E number in 1945 and sold to CA&E in 1946.  It was retired in 1954.

403 was built by American Car in August 1910, #846, as a parlor-buffet car. In March 1918 it was rebuilt as a straight coach. It was retired in 1935 and leased to the CA&E as 144. It came back in 1945 and then was sold to the CA&E in 1946. It was retired in 1953.

404 was built by Jewett in 1917 as part of the second order for steel cars which included coaches 165 thru 169 and combines 250 thru 256. The layout was similar to the earlier wooden cars as parlor-dining cars. By 1926, newer cars were available and it was sent to Cincinnati Car, #2460. to be rebuilt as coach 734. It was probably the first cars delivered in orange. It was modernized in 1940.

405 was built by Jewett in 1917.  The layout was similar to the earlier wooden cars as parlor-dining cars. By 1926 it was sent to Cincinnati Car, #2460, to be rebuilt as 735.  It was modernized in 1940.  735 was rebuilt after an accident with the end from car 155 in 1955.

406 as built by Jewett in 1917.  The layout was similar to the earlier wooden cars as parlor-dining cars. By 1926 it was sent to Cincinnati Car, #2460, to be rebuilt as 736.  It was modernized in 1940.

409 was built by Cincinnati Car in May 1923, #2465, as a dining car motor. In 1942 it was rebuilt as a coach and rebuilt as a Silverliner on March 30, 1955. Since it had no bulkhead between smoking and non-smoking sections, it was our favorite car to be used for meetings of the Milwaukee Division of the Electric Railroaders Association in Milwaukee. The North Shore was very cooperative in making sure that the car was in the location shown on meeting nights.

410 was built as a trailer observation car by Cincinnati Car in June 1923, #2640. It was out of service in 1932. It was rebuilt on December 31, 1942, as a two motor coach by closing in the open platform and changing the seating.

411 was built as a trailer observation car by Cincinnati Car in June 1923 #2640. It was out of service in 1932.  411 got the same treatment on February 25, 1943, and sold to Trolley Museum of New York in 1963.  It was sold to Wisconsin Electric Railway & Historical Society in 1973 and sold to Escanaba & Lake Superior in 1989.

412 was built as a  trailer observation car by Cincinnati Car in June 1924. #2765. It was out of service in 1932. It was rebuilt on April 8, 1943, as a two motor coach

413 was built as a trailer observation car by Cincinnati Car in June 1924, #2765. It was out of service in 1932.  413 was rebuilt on May 28, 1943.

414 was built by Cincinnati Car in June 1924, #2800, as dining car trailer.  It was out of service by 1931 and was motorized and converted to a coach on March 4, 1942. It was damaged by fire at Highwood on August 11, 1955, and scrapped in January 1956.

415  was built by Cincinnati Car in June 1926, #2905, as dining car trailer. It was rebuilt as a tavern-lounge on October 17, 1940, and was made a Silverliner on October 26, 1950. It was used on the replacement train when one of the Electroliners was shopped.

416 was built by Cincinnati Car in June 1926, #2905. as dining car trailer. It was out of service by 1931 and was motorized and converted to a coach on January 27, 1942. It was damaged by fire at Highwood on August 11, 1955, and scrapped in January 1956.

417 were built by Cincinnati Car in June 1924, #2905 as dining car trailer. It was rebuilt as a tavern-lounge on November 8, 1940. It was out service by 1951, retired on December 31, 1955, and scrapped in 1959.

418 was built by Pullman in 1928 and was the height of class with their picture windows. After 415 and 417 were rebuilt, it became spare and out of service by 1949.  It was retired on December 31, 1955, and scrapped in 1959.

419 was built by Pullman in 1928. After 415 and 417 were rebuilt, they became spares. it became spare and out of service by 1949.  It was retired on December 31, 1955, and scrapped in 1959.

420 was was built by Pullman in 1928 as an observation. It was out of service by 1932. On July 21, 1943, it reentered service as a motorized coach.  It was sold to Seashore Trolley Museum in 1963.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

3/17/2017

St. Patrick Day

Memorial of Blessed Conrad of Bavaria

<><

Choose Life.


Home Page

 

Don's Depot

 

Prayer purifies us, reading instructs us.  Both are good when both are possible.  Otherwise, prayer is better than reading.

--- St. Isidore of Seville