Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Market Street Railway

Cable Cars

 

The most recent Market Street Railway was formed in 1921 from a reorganization of the United Railroads. We will not go into early day cable operation, but only look at the lines which survived the 1921 organization.

The Castro Street line between 18th and 26th Streets was standard gauge and used cars 1 thru 7. It operated until April 5, 1941.

4 was built by MSRy in 1926 and scrapped in 1941.

6 was built by MSRy in 1927 and scrapped in 1941.

The Sacramento-Clay line used double end narrow gauge cars 15 thru 26.  The line was abandoned on February 15, 1942. The elimination of ferry service and the introduction of more powerful busses caused this line to be redundant.  The cars were stored until after the Muni took over.  The cars were then disposed shortly.

16 was built at Elkton in 1907.  It was moved the roof of The Emprium on April 6, 1948.

20 was built at Elkton in 1907.  It was rebuilt after a wreck on January 28, 1915.  It was scrapped after 1944.

21 was built at Elkton in 1908.  It was scrapped after 1944.

24 was built at Elkton in 1908.  It was scrapped after 1944.

The Powell line used narrow-gauge single cars and survived service and went Municipal Ry of San Francisco in April 1944.

501 was built by Mahoney Brothers in 1887 for Ferries & Cliff House Ry.  It was combined as MSRy in August 1893 and renumbered 544.  MSRy was taken over by URR in March 1902 and rebuilt as 501 in 1912.  It was reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921 and taken over by Muni in April 1944.  It was rebuilt in 1951 and renumbered 28 in 1973.  It was retired in January 2004.

502 was built by Carter Brothers in 1893 as MSRy 502.  It was taken over by United Railroads of San Francisco in March 1902 and reorganized as a new Market Street Ry in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 and rebuilt in1971.  It was renumbered 2 in 1973.

503 was built by Carter Brothers in 1893 as MSRy 503.  It was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 rebuilt in 1955.  It was renumbered 3 in 1973.

504 was built by Mahoney Brothers in 1887 for F&CHRy.  It was combined as MSRy in August 1893 and was runmbered 543.  MSR was taken over by URR in March 1902 and rebuilt as 504 in 1915.  It was reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921 and taken over by Muni in April 1944.  It was renumbered 4 in 1973 and placed on Pac Bell Park as 44 in 2000.

505 was built by Carter Brothers in 1893 as MSRy 505.  It was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorgznized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 and rebuilt in 1956.  It was renumbered 5 in 1973.

507 was built by Carter Brothers in 1893 as MSRy 507.  It was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 and rebuilt in 1957.  It was renumbered 7 in 1973.

509 was built by Mahoney Brothers in 1887 for Ferries & Cliff House Ry.  It was combined as MSRy in August 1893 and was numbered 542.  MSR was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was rebuilt as 509 in 1923 and taken over by Muni in April 1944.  It was rebuilt in 1952 and renumbered 9 in 1973.  It was damaged in 1995.  

510 was built by Carter Bros in 1893 for MSRy 510.  It was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 and rebuilt in 1960.  It was renumbered 10 in 1973.

512 was built by Carter Bros in 1893 for MSRy 512.  It was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 rebuilt in 1959.  It was renumbered 12 in 1973.

513 was built by Carter Bros in 1893 for MSRy 513.  It was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 and rebuilt in 1958.  It was renumbered 13 in 1973.  It was damaged in 1995 and retired.

515 was built by Carter Bros in 1893 for MSRy 515.  It was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 rebuilt in 1954.  It was renumbered 15 in 1973 and stored in 1984.

516 was built by Carter Bros in 1893 for MSRy 516.  It was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 and rebuilt in 1953.  It was renumbered 16 in 1973.

517 was built by Mahoney Brothers in 1887.   It was combined as MSRy in August 1893 and was numbered 532.  MSR was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was rebuilt as 517 in 1929 and taken over by Muni in April 1944.  It was rebuilt in 1956 and renumbered 17 in 1973.

519 was built by Carter Bros in 1893 for MSRy 519.  It was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921,  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 and renumbered 500 in 1968.  It was renumbered 19 in 1973 and scrapped in 1986.

523 was built by F&CHRy in 1890. It was combined as MSRy in August 1893 and was numbered 523.  MSR was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was taken over by Muni in April 1944 and rebuilt in 1969.  It was renumbered 23 in 1973.

524 was built by Mahoney Brothers in 1887 for F&CHRy.  It was combined as MSRy in August 1893 and was numbered 534.  MSR was taken over by URR in March 1902 and reorganized as a new MSRy in April 1921.  It was rebuilt as 524 in 1929 and taken over by Muni in April 1944.  It was used at the Chicago Railroad Fair in 1949 and on rubber tires for a Shiner convention in 1950.  It was rebuilt in 1958 and renumbered 24 in 1973.

526 was built by F&CHRy in 1890.  It was combined as MSRy 526 in August 1893 and was taken over by URR in March 1902.  Reorganized was a new MSRy in April 1921 and taken over by Muni in April 1944.  It was rebuilt and renumbered 26 in 1975.

527 was built by Mahoney Brothers in 1887 for F&CHRy.  It was combined as MSRy 527 in August 1893 and was taken over by URR in March 1902.  Reorganized was a new MSRy in April 1921 and taken over by Muni in April 1944.  It was rebuilt in 1958 and renumbered 27 in 1973.

Grip changes.

For a complete history of this company please visit The Cable Car Home Page.  

 

Thanks to Bob Townley for additional information on this page.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

5/5/2012

Memorial of St. Angelus of Jerusalem

Choose Life


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

O sing to the LORD a new sing,

for He has done marvelous things!

His right hand His holy arm have gotten Him victory.

--Psalm 98:1