Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Monongahela-West Penn Public Service Co.

City Lines of West Virginia

 

The history of the MWP is too complex to go into in these pages. CERA had a fine book on this line and the neighboring West Penn Rys. There were two divisions. The Parkersburg division ran to Marietta, OH, and beyond to Beverly. The Fairmont division ran to Clarksburg and beyond to Weston with several branch lines. These lines were merged into MWP in 1923. In 1943, the power company sold off the traction lines to City Lines of West Virginia. Most abandonments came after the end of the war. The Parkersburg lines were abandoned between November 1946 and May 25, 1947. The Fairmont division was also abandoned in 1947 except for some coal mine trackage which was operated by Monongahela Power (the new name for MWP). They used locomotive 3000 for a number of years. It is now preserved at the Arden Trolley Museum.

3 was built by Jewett in 1919. It was retired in 1947.

32 was built by Cincinnati Car Co. in September 1924, #2810..

114 was built by Kuhlman in August 1926, #911,  as West Virginia Utilities Co 114. When the Morgantown lines were abandoned in 1934, it was brought to the MWP, which owned the WVUCo. It was retired in 1947.

115 was built by Kuhlman in August 1926, #911, as WVUCo 115. It was transferred as MWP 115 in 1934 and was retired in 1947.

228 was built by Kuhlman in March 1911, #477, as Fairmont & Clarksburg Traction Co 228.  It was retired in 1947.

234 thru 240 (even) were built by Kuhlman in 1911 and were Fairmont & Clarksburg Traction. 236 was retired in 1929.

248 thru 254 (even) were built by Jewett in 1913 and were Fairmont & Clarksburg Traction. 250 has been preserved by the Shore Line Trolley Museum.

268 thru 274 (even) were built by Jewett in 1918 for Monongahela Valley Traction. 272 and 274 were retired in 1941, and 268 and 270 were retired in 1947.

276 and 278 were part of the same order built by Jewett in 1918 for MVT, but were 9 feet shorter. They were retired in 1947.

280 thru 286 even were built by Jewett in 1919. They were retired in 1947.

288 thru 298 even were built by Jewett in 1918 for MVT.

316 thru 332 were Cincinnati Car Co. curve-side lightweight cars built in 1923 for MVT and retired in 1947.

400 thru 403 were more modern curvesiders by Cincinnati in 1929. They were retired in 1947.

603 was built by Kuhlman in 1906 and was originally open car 113. It was retired in 1947.

604 was rebuilt from funeral car 111. It was retired in 1947.

605 was rebuilt from an unknown older car.

621 and 622 were built by Brill in 1902 as Parkersburg Marietta & Interurban Traction Co 25 and 26. This line became Kanawha Traction & Electric in 1915 and was merged into MWP in 1923. They were scrapped in 1947.

628 and 629 were built by Cincinnati Car in 1914 and were Kanawha Valley Traction 126 and 127.

652 was built by MWP in 1925 and was retired in 1947.

654 was built by MVT in 1921 and was retired in 1947.

700 was built by Brill as a passenger car. It was rebuilt into a line car and renumbered in 1927. It was retired in 1947.

775 and 776 were built by Cincinnati in 1923.  776 was named "West Virginia" and served in parlor service.  776 was retired in 1947.

800 thru 808 even were built by Kuhlman in 1928 and were lightweight interurbans. They were retired in 1947.

100 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in May 1917, #45660, as Monongahela-West Penn Public Service 1000. It was sold as Y&S 100 on June 25, 1920, amd scrapped in 1953.

2000 was built by Baldwin=Westinghouse in December, 1917, #47450.  It was sold to the Kansas City Kaw Valley RR where it became their 504 in April, 1948. When the Kaw Valley was abandoned in 1953, the locomotive came to San Antonio and became Texas Transportation Co 1.  It is stored at San Antonio.

3000 was built by Baldwin-Westinghouse in October 1920, #53783, for MVT. It was the last piece of equipment used and is now at Arden, PA

The shop switcher was obviously built in the company shops.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

4/2/2011

Memorial of St. Hugh of Anzy-le-Duc

Choose Life


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned,

and done that which is evil in Thy sight,

so that Thou art justified in Thy sentence and blameless in Thy judgement.

--Psalm 51:4