Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

San Diego Electric Railway

Passenger Cars

 

1 was built by Brill in 1892 as part of an order for 2 cars. In 1896 it received a heavier truck, and in 1904 the upper deck was removed. It was retired in 1912.

127was built by St. Louis Car in 1912. In 1924 it was rebuilt for one man service. It was retired in 1937.

148 was built by St. Louis Car in 1912. In 1924 it was rebuilt for one man service.  It was retired in 1937 but retained as "non-operative".  It was restored to service during the war and scrapped in 1947.

198 was built by St. Louis Car in 1914 as part of an order for cars 185 thru 224. An additional car, 225, was built for the Panama-Pacific Exposition and added to the roster in 1915. These cars were built for the Exposition. MU equipment was removed after 1923. The cars were rebuilt as one man over the years. 209 was retired in 1923. 212 and 223 were retired in 1930. All but a few cars were retired between 1935 and 1940. 217 thru 219, 221, 222, and 225 were retained and restored for war service. They were scrapped in 1947.

Birneys came in two groups. 301 thru 325 were built by American Car in 1920, and 326 thru 335 came from them in 1922. It is apparent that they were not popular. 301 thru 304 and 309 thru 311 were sold to the Sacramento Northern between 1923 and 1925. 326 thru 329 and 335 were traded in on locomotive 1025 in 1923. 305 thru 305 and 312 and 313 were sold to Stockton Electric Ry in 1925. The rest, except 316 and 318 were retired in 1925. Some of these are believed to have gone to Wichita Falls (TX) RR. The 316 and 318 were retired in 1934.

301 was built by American Car Co in November 1920, #1275.  It was sold as Sacramento Northern 62 in August 1923 and went to Western Railway Museum in 1948.

351 and 352 were built by American Car in 1920 as Glendale & Montrose Ry. 10 and 13. They were acquired in 1938 and retired in 1947.

400 thru 449 were built by American Car in 1923. They came with a pantograph and MU control and were designed for one or two man service. Trolley poles replaced the pans and 1925 and the MU control went after 1935. The cars were retired and scrapped in 1949.

501 thru 525 were built by St Louis Car in 1937. They were retired in 1949 and sold to El Paso City Lines in 1950 and 1952 except for cars 505, 508, 510, 515, and 522. Know renumbering is as follows: 504-1504, 506-1506, 509-1500, 511-1511, 512-1515, 514-1514, 517-1512, 518-1508, 520-1510, 523-1513. These were done in 1950. The unsold cars remained in San Diego until August 1957 when they were sold to an equipment dealer. 508 was then acquired by Orange Empire Traction Museum.

526 thru 528 were built by St Louis Car in 1938. They were retired in 1949 and placed in storage until August 1957 when they were sold to an equipment dealer. 528 was acquired by the Railway Historical Society of San Diego.

1001 thru 1014 were built by American Car in 1927 for Utah Light & Traction Co. (Salt Lake City). When built, the bodies were placed on older running gear. They were acquired by SDER in 1942. 1011 was scrapped in 1946, and the others were dismantled in 1947. Many of the bodies found other uses.

1015 thru 1030 were built by American Car in 1922 and Brill in 1926 for Wilkes-Barre Rys. 1026 was WB Rys 728 and 1030 was 740, both built by Brill in 1926. All these cars were scrapped in 1947.

1031 thru 1050 were built by Brill in 1908 for New York Railways. In 1924 they were purchased by Third Avenue Ry for use on the Union Ry routes. In June 1942, 20 cars were sold to San Diego Electric where they were renumbered as follows: 402-1031, 404-1032, 409-1033, 412-1034, 413-1035, 414-1036, 422-1037, 425-1038, 430-1039, 431-1040, 433-1041, 434-1042, 436-1043, 444-1044, 455-1045, 460-1046, 464-1047, 473-1048, 509-1049, 518-1050. All were scrapped in 1947 except 1043, which was acquired by the Bay Area Electric Railroad Association. It has been purchased by a New York group for preservation.

1051 thru 1056 were also purchased from Third Avenue Ry in 1942. 1052 was ex TARS 825. They were all scrapped in 1947.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

5/15/2010

Memorial of St. Caesarea

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

God reigns over the nations.

God sits on His holy throne.

--Psalms 47:8