Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Lake Shore Electric Ry.

This was one of the largest and most important interurban lines in the country. It was organized in 1901 out of several predecessor companies. It served the area between Toledo and Cleveland and was a financial success until the depression. Then it collapsed. In 1933 it went into receivership. They continued to operate in the expectation that the situation would again improve. A strike of freight employes in 1937 ended freight service which was suffering from the loss of connecting lines by that time. Passenger improvements were being made in 1937 with the existing heavyweight equipment. Other lines had gone to lightweight cars. The end came shortly after a receiver's auction on January 4, 1938. The only bidder was a finance company which was owed $800,000. They continued service for a short time until May 14, 1938, when all rail service ended.

1 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as Toledo Fremont & Norwalk Ry 1.  It became LSE 1 in 1902.  It was rebuilt as 3p in 1924  and stored in 1937.

2 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 2.  It became LSE 2 in 1902 and stored in 1932.  It was retired in 1938.

3 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 3.  It became LSE 3 in 1902 and stored in 1932,  It was retired in 1938.

4 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 4.  It became LSE 4 in 1902 and was wrecked and burned on December 13, 1902.

5 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 5.  It became LSE 5 in 1902 and rebuilt as a combine in 1927.  It was stored in 1932 and retired in 1938.

6 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 6.  It was rebuilt as freight motor 26 in 1926 and stored in 1937.

7 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 7. 

8 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 8.  It was renumbered 24 between 1903 and 1906.

9 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 9.  It was wrecked and burned on December 18, 1917.

10 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 10.  It was stored in 1932 and retired in 1938.

11 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 10.  It was burned on October 15, 1906.

12 thru 23 were built by Barney & Smith in 1900 and 1902 for the Toledo Fremont & Norwalk Ry as 12 thru 22. TF&N 13 became LSE 8000 in 1902 and was renumbered 23 in 1903.  12 was stored in 1932 and retired in 1938. 14 was stored in 1932 and retired in 1938. 15 was stored in 1928 and retired in 1939. 16 was rebuilt as a combine in 1927, stored in 1932, and retired in 1938. 17 was stored in 1932 and retired in 1938. 18 was rebuilt as double end in 1927 and retired in 1938. 19 was rebuilt as freight motor 27 in 1926. 20 was stored in 1932, rebuilt in 1937 as double end, and retired in 1938. 21 was rebuilt as freight motor 28 in 1926. 22 was rebuilt as freight motor 29 in 1925. 23 was rebuilt as double end in 1927 and retired in 1938.

27 was formerly passenger car 19 and was stored in 1937.

28 was formerly passenger car 21 and was stored in 1937.

29 was formerly passenger car 22 and was stored in 1937.

31 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as Toledo Fremont & Norwalk 31 and was rebuilt to double end in 1927. It was retired in 1939.

32 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 32 and was stored in 1937.

33 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as TF&N 33 and was rebuilt to double end in 1927. It was retired in 1939.

1st 34 was built by Jewett in 1917 and destroyed in 1919.

2nd 34 was built by LSE in 1919. It was wrecked and stored in 1932 and scrapped in 1938.

35 was built by Jewett in 1918, stored in 1937, and retired in 1938.

36 was built by LSE in 1918 and destroyed in 1928.

37 was built by LSE in 1919 as 470. It was rebuilt to 37 in 1920 and retired in 1939.

38 was built by LSE in 1920. It was stored in 1937 and retired in 1939.

1st 39 was built by Jewett in 1901 as Sandusky & Interurban 28 "Delta". It was converted to a line car in 1907 and later renumbered 453.

2nd 39 was built by LSE in 1920 and retired in 1938.

40 was built by LSE in 1920. It was wrecked and stored in 1935 and scrapped in 1938.

1st 41 was built by Brill in 1898 as Lorain & Cleveland 56. It was rebuilt as a freight motor in 1907 , renumbered 49 in 1929, stored in 1930, and retired in 1938.

2nd 41 was formerly passenger car 145 and was stored in 1937 and retired in 1938.

43 was formerly passenger car 146 and was stored in 1937 and retired in 1938.

44 was formerly passenger car 148 and was stored in 1937 and retired in 1938.

45 was formerly passenger car 147 and was wrecked and stored in 1932. It was retired in 1938.

46 was formerly passenger car 152 and was stored in 1937 and retired in 1938.

60 was built by Brill in 1903.  It was destroyed in 1925.

61 was built by Brill in 1903.  It was stored in 1932 and retired in 1938.

62 was built by Brill in 1903.  It was rebuilt as line car 455 in 1931 and retired in 1938.

63 was built by Brill in 1903.  It was rebuilt as line car 456 in 1931 and retired in 1939.

64 thru 69 were built by Brill in 1903. 64 was stored in 1932 and retired in 1938. 65 was retired in 1938. 66 was destroyed in 1903. 67 was destroyed in 1907. 68 was stored in 1932 and retired in 1938. 69 was rebuilt as double end in 1937 and retired in 1938.

2nd 66 was built by Kuhlman in 1904 and destroyed in 1928.

141 was built by Niles in 1907.  It was rebuilt as 42 in 1929  and stored in 1937.  It was retired in 1938.

142 thru 149 were built by Niles in 1907.  142 was destroyed in 1915. 143 was lengthened in 1923 and retired in 1938. 144 was destroyed in 1915. 145 was rebuilt as freight motor 41 in 1929. 146 was rebuilt as freight motor 43 in 1929. 147 was rebuilt as freight motor 45 in 1929. 148 was rebuilt as freight motor 44 in 1929. 149 was lengthened in 1923 and retired in 1938.

150 was built by Niles in 1906.  It was retired in 1938 and became a house in Milan, OH.  It was moved to Fostoria in 1964 and somewhat restored at Pittsburgh in 1977.  It was sold to Illinois Railway Museum in 2000.

151 thru 159 were built by Niles in 1906. 1 151 was retired in 1938. 152 was destroyed in 1906. 153 was destroyed in 1914. 154 was destroyed in 1917. 155 thru 159 were retired in 1938.

2nd 152 was built by Niles in 1907 and was rebuilt as freight motor 46 in 1929.

160 was built by Niles in 1907.  It was retired in 1938.

161 thru 163 were built by Niles in 1907.  161 was destroyed in 1918. 162 was retired in 1938. 163 was wrecked and stored in 1930 and scrapped in 1931.

164 was built by Niles in 1907.  It was retired in 1938.

165 was built by Jewett in 1911.  It was wrecked and stored in 1935 and scrapped in 1938

166 was built by Jewett in 1911.  It was retired in 1938.

167 was built by Jewett in 1915. It was retired in 1939 and has been given a cosmetic restoration.  One of our correspondents sent up the following information regarding car 167.  Dennis Lamont & his brother Richard (Westlake, OH as of 1970) had bought, and moved to Westlake and started restoration of an LSE steel car which I recall to be 167(not sure). About 1966 they had also purchased ex-Indiana RR 714 from American Aggregates for use as a source of trucks (Baldwin 84AA), motors, parts & control for the restoration of 167. IRR 714 had been shortened, equipped with a Cummins diesel & generator, but was functional as a locomotive until at least 1968. It was stored in the American Aggregates gravel pit in (I think) Greenville, IN. When the replacement diesel that AA had bought was down for repairs, they would use 714 and pay per deim! The Lamonts would be in their late 50's and early 60's now, but I have lost track of them and don't know if the project was ever completed. They had seating purchased from the South Shore to re-equip 167.

168 was built by Jewett in 1915.  It was retired in 1939.

169 was built by Jewett in 1915.  It was burned in 1918 and rebuilt bv Jewett in 1919.  It was retired in 1939.

170 was built by Jewett in 1917. It was rebuilt in May 1939 as Des Moines & Central Iowa 1710. It was scrapped in 1951.

172 was built by Jewett in 1917. It was retired in 1939 and became a diner in Monroeville.  It was acquired by Seashore Electric Ry Museum where it is awaiting restoration.

173 was built by Jewett in 1918. It were burned in 1918 and rebuilt by Jewett in 1919.  It was retired in 1939.

174 was built by Jewett in 1918.  It was burned in 1918 and rebuilt by Jewett in 1919 and retired in 1939.

175 was built by Jewett in 1918.  It was wrecked and burned in 1929. The underframe was rebuilt as 409 in 1930.

176 was built by Jewett in 1918.  It was retired in 1939.

177 was built by Jewett in 1918.  It was retired in 1939.

178 was built by Jewett in 1918.  It was retired in 1939.

179 was built by Jewett in 1918.  It was sold and rebuilt as DM&CI 1712 in May 1939 and scrapped in July 1949.

180 was built by Jewett in 1918.  It was sold and rebuilt as DM&CI 1714 in May 1939 and scrapped in 1951.

181 was built by Jewett in 1918.  It was retired in 1939.

182 was built by St. Louis Car in 1916 and was formerly Michigan Rys. 851 until 1929. It was rebuilt in 1930 and retired in 1938.

183 was built by St. Louis Car in 1916 and was formerly Michigan Rys. 853. It was rebuilt in 1932 and retired in 1938.

400 was built by Brill in 1897 as J. It was renumbered 400 in 1911, rebuilt in 1925, and retired in 1940.

401 was built by Barney & Smith in 1900 as K. It was renumbered 401 in 1911, rebuilt in 1927, and sold to Fremont Power Co as 401 in 1939. It was retired in 1953.

402 was built by LSE in 1908 as F. It was renumbered 402 in 1914 and scrapped in 1938.

403 was built by LSE in 1908 as G. It was renumbered 403 in 1914, stored in 1932, and scrapped in 1938.

404 was built by LSE in 1910 as H. It was renumbered 404 in 1914 and scrapped in 1939

405 was built by Taunton in 1918 and scrapped in 1938.

407 was built by LSE in 1922 and scrapped in 1940.

408 was built by LSE in 1923 and scrapped in 1939.

409 was rebuilt from passenger car 175 and retired in 1939.

410 was built by LSE in 1932 and scrapped in 1940.

452 was built by LSE in 1914 and was converted to a wrecker in 1931. It was retired in 1938.

453 was rebuilt from passenger car 39 and was retired in 1939.

454 was built by LSE in 1914 and retired in 1938.

A and B were built by McGuire Mfg Co in 1904 and were retired in 1938.

C was built by McGuire as Michigan Rys 550. It was purchased in 1929 and retired in 1938.

A car for scrapping the line was apparently built in the company shops.

849 was built by St Louis Car in 1916 as Michigan Railway 849  It was sold to LSE in 1929 but never used.  It was retired in 1938.

855 was built by St Louis Car Co in 1917, as MRy 855.  It was sold to LSE in 1929 but never used.  It was retired in 1938.

 

 

  

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

10/4/2016

Memorial of Saint Lucius of Alexandria

Choose Life


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

 

You change your life by changing your heart.

--St. Benedict of Nursia