Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Melbourne & Metropolitan Tramways Board

Yarra Trams

Tram service began in 1885 with cable car service provided by Melbourne Tramway and Omnibus Co. The first electric service began in 1889 by a land developer, but was closed in 1896. Serious electric service began in 1906 by North Melbourne Electric Tramway and Lighting as an adjunct to their power service. Other services were started by municipal groups shortly afterwards. The first of these was Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust in 1910. In 1921 the cable lines and the five electric lines were unified by the M&MTB. New cars were introduced and the system continued to grow. Today it is the largest tram operation in the English speaking world.

436, cable car, was saved by Alf Twentyman in 1935.  It was donated to the Tramway Museum Society of Victoria.

1, Class A, was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1910 as Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust 1. It became M&MTB 1, Class A, in 1921 and was retired in 1931. The body was sold and became part of a home at Ferry Creek, Victoria.

10W was built by Meadowbrook Mfg in 1908 as New South Wales Government Tramways 763, Class K. It was rebuilt as scrubber 138S in 1952 and sold to M&MTB in August 1959. It went into service n December 1959 as 10 and was renumbered 10W in November 1975. It was modernized in June 1979 and retired in 2002.

11W was built by Meadowbrook Mfg in 1908 as NSWGT 797, Class K.  It was rebuilt as scrubber 139S in 1953 and sold to M&MTB in August 1959.  It went into service in April 1960 as 11 and was renumbered 11W in November 1975.  It was modernized in February 1980.

17, Class A, was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1911 as PMTT 17.  It became M&MTB 17, Class A, in 1921 and  rebuilt as Drivers Instruction Car 17 in 1925.   It was retired in 1963 and scrapped in 1973.

41, Class C was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1914 as P&MTT 41. In 1921 it became M&MTB 41, Class E, and was reclassified Class C in 1928. In 1951 it was sold to State Electricity Commission of Victoria as 38.

42, Class C, was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1914 as P&MTT 42. In 1921 it became M&MTB 42, Class E, and was reclassified Class C in 1928. In 1951 it was sold to SECV as 39. It was retired in 1971 and sold to the Lismore Lions Club for local display. In 1976 it was returned to Ballarat and is now used as a souvenier center.

63, Class A, was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1913 as P&MTT 63. In 1922 it became M&MTB 63, Class H, and was reclassified Class A in 1928. In 1931 it was sold to SEC and renumbered 18. It was rebuilt in 1936 and sent to Sevastapol for display in 1971. It was transferred to the BTM in 1983 and is in regular service.

73, Class A, was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1913 as PMTT 73. In 1922 it became M&MTB 73, Class J, and was reclassified Class A in 1928. In 1931 it was sold to ESC and numbered 17. It is now preserved at the Tramway Museum of Victoria.

104, Class L, was built by James Moore in 1921.  It was ordered by PMT but delivered for M&MTB.  It is used on heritage lines.

106, Class L, was built by James Moore in 1921.  It was ordered by PMT but delivered for M&MTB.  It is used on heritage lines.

114, Class M, was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1916 as Hawthorn Tramways 8.  It became M&MTB 114, Class M, in 1920.  It was sold as Electric Supply Co 3 in 1930 and retired in 1956.  It was donated to Australian Electric Traction Assn and transferred to Tramway Museum Society in 1962.  It was restored as HTT 8 in 1992.

138, Class P, was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1917 as HTT 32. In 1920 it became M&MTB 138, Class P. It was reclassified Class C in 1928. In 1945 it was sold to State Electric Commission of Victoria and numbered 24. In 1975 it was restored as M&MTB 138 and restored as HTT 32 at Hawthorn in 2008.

164, Class S, was built by Duncan and Fraser in 1916 as Melbourne, Brunswick & Coburg Tramways Trust 11.  It became M&MTB as 164, Class S, in 1928.  It was retired in March 1953 and saved by Tramway Museum of Victoria.

180, Class T, was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1917 as MBCT 16.  It became M&MTB 180, Class S, in 1928 and rebuilt in April 1959 as a source of compressed air at the back of the Brunswick Depot.  It was retired in April 1966 and restored for Tramway Museum of Victoria.

214, Class V, was built by Brill Car in 1906 and assembled by Duncan & Fraser as North Melbourne Electric Tramway & Lighting 13.  It became M&MTB as 214, Class V, in 1921 and rebuilt as 2A, a freight car, in 1927.  It was renumbered 17 in 1934 and renumbered 17W in April 1976.  It was fitted with advertising panels in 1956 and retired in October 1977.  It was restored as 214, Class V, in 1978, and restored as NMETL 13 in March 2008.

217, Class X, was built by Brill Car in December 1922, #21656.  It was retired in 1957 and donated to Australian Electric Traction Assn.

218, Class X, was built by St Louis Car in 1923, #1298. It was retired in February 1957 and went to a children's home where it was dismantled in 1969.

230, Class W-2, was built at Holden Street in August 1924 as Class W. It was rebuilt in January 1930, and the body was sold in March 1983.

262, Class W-2, was built by James Moore & Sons in May 1924 as Class W. It was rebuilt in November 1931, and the body was sold to a private individual on October 2, 1984.

272, Class W-2, was built by James Moore & Son in June 1925 as 272, Class W.  It was rebuilt as Class W2 in September 1931 and sold to Paul Class in September 1979.  It was sold to Seattle Waterfront Trolley in 1981.

321, Class W-2, was built at Holden Street in July 1925 as Class W.  It was rebuilt in September 1929 and sold to Museum of Transport & Technology, Auckland, NZ, on March 18, 1982.

329, Class W-2, was built at Holden Street in November 1925 as Class W.  It was rebuilt in June 1929 and sold to the Perth Electric Transport Museum on December 16, 1985.

369, Class W-2, was built by James Moore & Sons in March 1925 as Class W. It was rebuilt in January 1930 as Class W-2, and was sold to McKinney Avenue Transit Authority on August 19, 1986. It was rebuilt by closing two door openings and installing a door in the third opening on each side.

371, Class W-2, was built by James Moore & Sons in 1925, as Class W.  It was rebuilt and the body was sold in 1966.

391, Class W-2, was built by Holden Steet Workshops in 1924 as Class W.  It was rebuilt in April 1931 as Class W-2.  It was retired on February 17, 1986, and sold as a body to Koonbrook.

415, Class W-2, was built at Preston in February 1927 as Class W.  It was rebuilt in February 1932 as Class W-2.  It was sold as a body to a private buyer in Weeibee, Vic, on March 26, 1986,

431, Class W-2, was built at Preston in June 1927 as Class W-1.  It was rebuilt in July 1937 as Class W-2 and restored as Class W-1 in February 1988.

442, Class W2, was built at Preston in August 1927. In May 1986 it was sold to Colonial Tramcar Co and operatesd as a travelling restaurant.  It was retired in 2008 and dismantled

461, Class X1, was built in 1926 and was based on the Birney design of the imported X Class. This class was used mostly in Footscray until that line was abandoned in 1962.  The body is held by Newstead Tramcars as a candidate for restoration

473, Class W2, was built at Preston in 1928 as W1.  It was rebuilt as W2 in 1936.

482, Class W2, was built at Preston in January 1928. It was sold to Paul Class in September 1979 and to Seattle Waterfront Trolley in 1981.

496, Class W2, was built by James Moore & Sons in February 1928. It was sold to Paul Class in March 1988 and to San Francisco Municipal Ry in 1989.

512, Class W2, was built by James Moore & Sons in July 1928, It was sold to Paul Class in September 1979 and to Seattle Waterfront Trolley in 1981.

531, Class W2, was built at Preston in August 1928. In July 1986 it was sold to Paul Class who sold it to the San Jose heritage trolley.

648, Class W2, was built at Preston in December 1930. On May 11, 1983, it was sold to the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce and used for the Trolley Festivals of 1983 thru 1986. It is now at the Western Railway Museum at Rio Vista Junction, CA.

685, Class W5, was built at Preston in February 1935 as Class CW5.  It was rebuilt in 1956 as Class W5 and is now restored.

741, Class W5, was built at Preston in 1935.  It was rebuilt to Class SW5 and has now been stored.

743, Class SW5, was built at Preston in 1935 as Class W5. It was rebuilt to Class SW5 and has now been stored.

763, Class W5, was built by Preston in 1936.

793, Class W5, was built at Preston in 1937 and rebuilt to Class SW5. It has been stored.

815, Class W5, was built at Preston in 1937.

821, Class W5, was built at Preston in 1938 and is now at the Hawthorn Tram Depot.

831, Class W5, was built at Preston in 1938 and was never upgraded before it was sold in 1990.

841, Class SW5, was built at Preston in 1939.

845, Class SW5, was built at Preston in 1939.

850, Class SW6, was built at Preston in March 1939.  It is stored

856, Class SW6, was built at Preston in June 1940.  It is now used on the City Circle Tour of Yarra Trams.

882, Class SW6, was built at Preston in March 1943.  It is stored.

888, Class SW6. was built at Preston in October 1943,  It is now used on the City Circle Tour of Yarra Trams.

889, Class SW6, was built at Preston in December 1943,  It is stored.

909, Class SW6, was built at Preston in December 1945.  It is stored.

925, Class SW6, was built at Preston in December 1946,  It is now used on the City Circle Tour of Yarra Trams.

937, Class SW6, was built at Preston in February 1948.  It is now Colonial Tramcar 937.

959, Class SW6, was built at Preston in 1950.

965, Class SW6, was built at Preston in October1950.  It is now at Sporvejsmuseet Skjoldenęsholm since 2005

975, Class W6, was built at Preston in March 1952. It has been stored.

980, Class PCC, was an experimental built at Preston in July 1950. It was retired in 1956 when the imported bogies and electrical equipment were installed in 1041. In 1982 the body on non-motored trucks was donated to the Tramway Museum Society.

986, Class W6, was built at Preston in July 1953.  It has been stored.

1012, Class W7, was built at Preston in 1955.  It has been stored.

1041, Class PCC, was built at Preston in August 1973.  It was a prototype and used the trucks from 980.  It was used until April 1975 and now in the care of the tram museum at Hawthorn Depot.

1, Class Z, was assembled at Preston in 1975 using a body and trucks by Comeng. It was later fitted with a pantograph.

16, Class Z1, was assembled at Preston in 1975 using a body and trucks by Comeng. It was later fitted with a pantograph.

77, Class Z1, was assembled at Preston in 1978 using a body and trucks by Comeng. It was later fitted with a pantograph.

200, Class Z3, was built by Comeng in 1982.

203, Class Z3, was built by Comeng in 1982.

217, Class Z3, was built by Comeng in 1982.

232, Class A1, was built by Comeng in 1984.

249, Class A1, was built by Comeng in 1984.

282, Class A2, was built by Comeng in 1987.

2001, Class B1, was built by Comeng in 1984.

2056, Class B2, was built by Comeng in 1987.

2093, Class B2, was built by Comeng-ASEA Brown Boveri in September 1992.

2097, Class B2, was built by Comeng-ASEA Brown Boveri in October 1992.

3027, Class C, was built by Alstom in June 2002.

3028, Class C, was built by Alstom in June 2002.

3504, Class D1, was built by Siemens in December 2002.

5001, Class D2, was built by Siemens in May 2004.

5018, Class D2, was built by Siemens in November 2004.

6002, Class E, was built by Bombardier in November 2013.

Siemens C008, Combino, was built by Siemens in 2007 for Metro Transportes Sul de Tejo.  It was sent to Melbourne during the Grand Prix but it was not accepted by Melbourne.

Brunswick Depot.

 

Information help: Mal Rowe

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

3/29/2017

Memorial of Saint Mark of Arethusa

<><

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

Pray, hope, and don't worry.  Anxiety doesn't help at all.  Our Merciful Lord will listen to your prayer.

---Saint Padre Pio