Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Michigan Short Lines and Industrial Railroads

 

Adrian & Blissfield RR

3, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric in October 1956, #32664, as Dansville & Mount Morris RR 1.  It was sold as Bay Colony Ry 411 in October 1986 and stored in 1995,  It was sold as A&B 3 in February 1998 and assigned as Charlotte Southern RR 3.

1751, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1957, #22853, FN 5513-7, as Grand Trunk Western 4545, Class GR-17j.  It was sold as A&B 1 in July 1991 and renumbered 1751 in 1992.

1752, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1957, #22843, FN 5512-8, as Central Vermont 4554, Class GR-17j.  It was transferred as GTW 4554, Class GR-17j, in January 1965.  It was sold as A&B 2 in July 1991 and renumbered 1752 in 1992.


Alanson & Petoskey RR

8419, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1942, #1604, FN E462-4, as Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal 219, Class DS-3.  It was reclassified Class DS-3E in 1943 and renumbered 8419, Class SE-1, in 1957.  It was reclassified Class SW-1 in 1965 and transferred to Baltimore & Ohio in January 1974.  It was lettered as Chesapeake & Ohio 8419 on September 19, 1974, and returned as B&O 8419 on March 25, 1976.  It was sold as Union Carbide-Battery Products Div as RAIX 8419 on June 15, 1976, and renamed as Eveready Products,  It was sold as Little Traverse Scenic Ry 8410 in 1989.  It was sold as A&P 8419 in August 1990 and sold at auction on September 5, 1992, apparently to Leelanau Scenic RR but never used.  It was sold as Mineral Range RR 600.

 


American Aggregates Corp.

This is a national company.


Ann Arbor RR

Steam Locomotives.

Diesel Locomotives.


Buick City RR

General Motors Corp., Buick Division

0069, SW900, was built in February 1955, #19703, FN 4303-1, as GM Buick Division 818.  It was lettered Buick City RR and renumbered 1776 in 1975.  It was returned as 818 and sold to Peaker Services in 1991.  It returned to GM as shop switcher 0069 at London, Ont.


Harry P. Bourke Co.

6, was built by Alco in July 1913,#53790, as Chicago Peoria & St Louis 70. It was sold to Briggs & Turivas, who sold it to Ahnapee & Western on January 18, 1927. It entered service on January 8, 1927, as 74, Class R-1, and was renumbered 303, Class C-31, on January 20, 1937. On October 4, 1937, it was sold to Harry P Bourke as 6. It later became Escanaba & Lake Superior 18. It was scrapped at Chicago in January 1953.


Boyne City RR

Started in 1893 as Boyne City & Southeastern, with 7.2 miles of track between Boyne City and Boyne Falls, where it connected to the GR&I. The original purpose of the line was to connect the Grand Rapids & Indiana to Great Lakes shipping at the docks in Boyne City, on Lake Charlevoix. The railroad expanded 92 miles to Alpena, became the Boyne City, Gaylord & Alpena in 1905. Reverted back to the original 7.2 miles in 1935, and became the Boyne City Railroad. It was always an independent railroad. They operated their own foundry, and actually built almost all of their 200 plus cars. Only locomotives were acquired elsewhere. They eventually had 13 locomotives and 180 employees. Business declined, and the line was sold to Boyne Valley in 1976, and operated passenger excursion service. Operation ended in 1978, the line was abandoned in 1982

18 was built by Alco-Cooke in November 1920, #62624, as Charcoal Iron Co 18.  It was sold as Newberry Lumber & Chemical Co 18 and resold as BCRR 18.  It was sold as Arcade & Attica 18 in 1962.

70, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric in September 1950, #30472.


Cadillac & Lake City Ry

We have a special page on this short line which also operated in Colorado.


Calumet & Hecla, Inc.

3 was built by Porter in May 1915, #5649.  It was retired and placed for display in the 1950s and given to Houghtion County Historical Museum Society in December 1969.  It was restored beginning in 1998 and completed in 2003.  It is operating as Lake Linden & Torch Lake RR 3

9 "Schoolcraft" was built by Mason in 1887, #747.  It was scrapped in 1942.

202, DS4-4-1000, was built by Baldwin in August 1948, #73957.  It was sold as Escanaba & Lake Superior 202 in 1971.

206, RS1, was built by Alco in December 1951, #29578, as Lake Superior & Ishpeming 1003.  It was sold as C&H 206 in December 1967 and retired in 1971.

210, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in December 1946, #28566.  It was sold to Marquette & Huron Mountain in May 1972 but it remained the original lettering and number.  It was then sold as Central Wisconsin RR 210 in 1981 and sold as Whitewater Valley RR 210 in 1985.

1 was built by St Louis South-Western in 1925 as SSW 2217.  It was sold to Hyman Michaels Co in 1946 and resold as C&H 1 in 1946.  It was given to Mid-Continent Railway Museum in 1962 and later restored as SSW 2217 in 1978.


Central Michigan RR

This is a Rail America line.


Charcoal Iron Co.

18 was built by Alco-Cooke in November 1920, #62624.  It was sold as Newberry Lumber & Chemical Co 18 and resold as Boyne City RR 18.  It was sold as Arcade & Attica 18 in 1962.

19 was built by Baldwin in March 1924, #57667.  It was sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive and sold as Yawkey-Bissell Lumber Co 19.  It was sold to Marinette Tomahawk & Western as 19 and later donated to City of Tomahawk.


Charlotte Southern RR

3, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric in October 1956, #32664, as Dansville & Mount Morris RR 1.  It was sold as Bay Colony Ry 411 in October 1986 and stored in 1995,  It was sold as Adrian & Blissfield RR 3 in February 1998 and assigned as CHS 3.


Chesaning Central & Owosso RR

1508, RS3, was built by Alco in May 1954, #80735, as Boston & Maine 1508, Class DRS-1e.  It was retired in 1972 and leased to Erie Lackawanna between 1973 and 1974.  It was sold as Delaware & Hudson 1508 in 1974 and renumbered 2nd 4075 in 1976.  It was sold to an individual who leased it to Steamtown in 1984.  It was sold in auction to Ray Kammert in 1988 and leased as Western Maryland Scenic RR 199 in 1989.  It was resold as CHCO 1508 in 1999.  It was sold to Railroad Museum of New England in 2005.


Coe Rail, Inc.

Michigan Air-Line Ry.

Michigan Star Clipper

We have a special page on this short line which also operated in Texas.


Consumers Power Co.

No number, RS1, was built by Alco in October 1951, #79350, as Rutland RR 401, Class DRS-1.  It was sold as Vermont Ry 401 in January 1964 and resold as CPCo, no number, in January 1967.  It now is at the Saginaw Railway Museum.


Coopersville & Marne Ry.

Chesapeake & Ohio 268.  It was sold to a museum at Grand Rapids, MI, and later sold to Coopersville & Marne Ry.  It is scheduled for scrapping in 2012.


Copper Range RR

We have a special page on this short line.


Delray Connecting RR

2, SW9, was built by General Motors in March 1952, #A138, as Canadian National 7008, Class GS-12A.  It was sold as DCRR 2.

64, S2, was built by Alco in May 1945, #73365.

70, S1, was built by Alco in June 1945, #73354.  It was sold as Coe Rail 70.


Detroit & Mackinac Ry.

Lake States RR

We have a special page on this short line.


Detroit & Toledo Shore Line RR

41, GP7, Class ERS, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1951, #12459, FN 5062-1.  It later became Grand Trunk Western 6041.

44, GP7, Class ERS, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1952, #15526,  It later became GTW 6044.

49, GP7, Class ERS, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1952, #16207. It later became GTW 6049.

 

50, GP7, Class ERS, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1953, #17843.  It was assigned as GTW 6050 but not renumbered.  It was sold to Chrome Crankshaft in June 1984 and resold as Indiana Midland Ry 50 in March 1985.  It was sold in March 1957 to Bay Colony RR as D&TSL 1501 but quickly repainted as Bay Colony RR 1501.  It was rebuilt as GP8 and renumbered 1750 "Gordon H Fay" in March 1996 and later renumbered 1701.

119, SW9, Class ES, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1951, #12458, FN 4073-1.  It later became GTW 6119 and later sold as Rail Switching Service 451.

120, SW9, Class ES, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1952, #16208, FN 4154-1.  It later became GTW 6120 and later sold as RSSX 402.

121, SW9, Class ES, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1952, #16209, FN 4154-2.  It later became GTW 6121 and later sold as RSSX 401.


Detroit Edison Co.

We have a page on this company.


Detroit Marine Terminal Co.

6, SW, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1938, #656, FN E193-2, as Chicago & Eastern Illinois 101.  It was sold to Luria Brothers on August 29, 1949, and sold as DMT 101 in 1949.  It was renumbered 6 and sold to Precision National Corp in 1969.  It was rebuilt by Darby Corp in 1971 as Kansas City Southern 205 and renumbered 4256 in 1973.


Detroit Processing Terminal

No number, 84.5 Ton, was built by General Electric in March 1952, #31731, as Great Lakes Steel Co 37.  It was sold with no number.


Detroit River Tunnel Co.

We have a page on this company.


Detroit Steel Co.

102, 84.5 Ton, was built by General Electric in December 1951, #31270.  It was sold as Pittsburgh Allegheny & McKees Rocks Ry 19 in August 1981.

111, SW, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1937, #679, as Buffalo Creek RR 40.  It was sold as DSCo 111 and resold to Preston W Duffy on February 24, 1969.  It was scrapped by M D Friedman Co.


Detroit Terminal RR

103, DS4-4-1000, was built by Baldwin in January 1947, #72812.  It was sold as DeKalb County Cooperative 103 and became DeKalb Agri Inc 103.  It then became Andersons Agricultural Group 103.  It was scrapped in August 2012.

104, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1947, #5034. It became Consolidated Railroad Corp 9195, Class NW-2, in October 1981.

106, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1947, #5036. It became Conrail 9197, Class NW-2, in October 1981.

107, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1947, #5037.  It became Conrail 9198, Class NW-2, in October 1981 and traded in to Electro-Motive.

109, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1947, #5039.  It was rebuilt in February 1981 and became Conrail 9199, Class NW-2, in October 1981.  It was sold as Juniata Terminal 9251 and later sold as Northern Illinois & Wisconsin 9251.

110, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1947, #5040.  It was sold as Champion Paper Co 06210.

114, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1949, #6994.  It became Conrail 9299, Class NW-2, in October 1981 and later traded in to Electro-Motive.


Dundee Cement Co.

Holnam, Inc.

1, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric in March 1972, #37681.

105, 20GM24, was built by Whitcomb in January 1942, #13214, as Quartermaster Corp 2089.  It was renumbered United States Army7720 and sold as DCCo  105.  It was sold as Coe Rail 105 and resold as Durbin & Greenbriar Valley RR no number.


East Jordan & Southern RR

6 was built by Alco-Pittsburgh in April 1909, #45920.  It is now on display.

M.L.1, ML6, was built by Plymouth in 1937 from Phoenix Engineering.  Information is limited and confused.

2 was built Built by the Osgood Bradley Co.  in November 1864 as Grand Trunk Ry #112.  It was renumbered to 585 in November 1885 and in 1889 the car was rebuilt at the Chicago & Grand Trunk, Gratiot Shops in Port Huron, MI. In 1902 the coach was sold to EJ&S by the F. M. Hicks of Chicago Heights, IL. It was rebuilt into a combine. It was sold in 1961 to a private individual and resold to Mid-Continent Railway Museum in 1963.


Escanaba & Lake Superior RR

We have a full page on this line.


Ford Motor Co.

We have a full page on this line.


Grand Rapids Eastern RR

This is a RailAmerica group.


The Grand Traverse Train

1950, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1953, #17852, as Great Northern  464-A, Class F-3-7-A.  In 1970 it became Burlington Northern 684, Class F-7, and sold as Seattle & North Coast 102 in 1981. It was sold as Iowa Northern 102 in 1984 and later was sold as TGTT 1950 in 1996.  It was sold to Central States Rail Associates Inc as CESX 1950 in February 2011.

1951, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1950, #11073, as GN 364-A, Class P-3-7-A.  It became BN 9726, Class P-7, in 1970 and renumbered 704, Class F-7, on May 7, 1976.  It later became S&NC as 103 in December 1980 and later IANR 103 in 1984.  It was sold as TGTT 1951 in 1996 and sold as CESX 1951 in February 2011.


Great Lakes Locomotive LLC

4428, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1954, #19666, as Grand Trunk Western 1752, Class GR-17b.  It was renumbered 4428 in 1956.  It was retired in 1992 and sold to Saginaw Valley Historical Society in October 1993.  It was sold as GLLX 4428.

4433, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1954, #19671, as GTW 1757.  It was renumbered 4433 in 1956 and retired on February 10, 1997.  It went to Saginaw Valley Railway Museum and sold as GLLX 4433.


Great Lakes Rail Car Repair Service, Inc.

6379, Class SD40-2, was built in April 1974, #74600-4, FN 74600-4, as Burlington Northern 6379, Class SD40-2.  It became Burlington Northern Santa Fe 6370, Class SD40-2, on February 28, 2002, and retired on June 30, 2009.  It was sold as GTLX 6379 and rebuilt as Ferrocarril del Pacifico SA 3301.


Great Lakes Steel Corp.

37, 84.5 Ton, was built by General Electric in March 1952, #31731.  It was sold to Detroit Processing Terminal with no number.

43, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1957, #23301.  It was transferred as Granite City Steel Co 1243 and became National Steel Co in 1971.  It became  United States Steel Co 1243 in 2003.

44, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1957, #23302.  It was transferred as GCSCo 1244  and became NSC 1244.  It became USS 1244.

55, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1966, #31245, FN 4491-18, as Texas & Pacific 1297.  It became Missouri Pacific 1297 in October 1976 and retired on February 28, 1985.  It sold to Precision National in April 11, 1985, and sold as Peaker Services P2 in July 1985.  It was leased as GCSCo 55 and became National Steel Corp 55.  It was sold to National Railway Equipment Co and rebuilt as United States Navy 65-00365, 1GS7B, in May 2012.

100, NW2,  was built by Electro-Motive in January 1941, #1313, as Denver & Rio Grande Western 7000, Class DE B-B 61.  It was renumbered 100 on September 13, 1941, and retired on January 19, 1968,  It was sold to Precision Engineering Co on January 19, 1968, and resold as GLSCo 100.  It was sold as East Camden & Highland 62.


Hillsdale County RR

HCRR was organized in 1976 to take over a former New York Central line.  It became a portion of the Indiana & Northeastern RR in 1981.

1600 "Capt Moses Allen", GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1950, #11993, as Wabash RR 450, Class D-15.  It became Norfolk & Western 3450 in 1965 and later rebuilt at Paducah as Illinois Central Gulf 7706 in November 1974.  It was sold as Naporano Iron & Metal 1600 and resold as HCRR 1600.  It was returned to NI&M in August 1981 and resold as Eastern Shore RR 1600 "Norfolk" in September 1981.

1601, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1953, #18414, as Reading RR 614, Class RS-3.  It was sold as St Johnsbury & Lamoille County RR  614 and sold as Hillsdale County RR 1601 in 1976.  It became INE 1601 for parts in 1981 but it was restored for service.

1st 1602 "City of Hillsdale", GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1952, #16905, as Reading 606, Class RS-3.   It was leased as StJ&LC 606 and leased as Delaware & Hudson 2602 in January 1977.  It was sold to Precision National and sold as Interpool Limited 1602 in July 1978.  It was resold as HDCC 1602 "City of Hillsdale".  It was purchased for parts.

2nd 1602, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1957, #22473, as Great Northern 693, Class GP-9.  It became Burlington Northern 1766, Class GP-9, in 1970 and sold to GE Capital on December 7, 1985.  It was sold as HCRR 1766 and later renumbered 1602.  It became INE 1602.

1603 "Major Benjamin Jones". GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1954, #19524, as Cleveland Union Terminal 5903, Class DRSP-9a.  It was renumbered 7303, Class ERS-17, in 1966 and became Consolidated Railroad Corp 7303, Class GP-9, in April 1976.  It was sold as HCRR 1603 and became INE 1603.  It is out of service.

1976 "Chief Baw Beese". , NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1947, #4941, as Reading Co 101, Class OE-9.  It was sold to Precision National Corp and resold as HCRR 1976 "Chief Baw Beese".  It was returned as PNC 1976 and sold as Agrico Chemical Co 181. 


Huckleberry RR

5, 18 Ton, was built by Plymouth.


Huron & Eastern

We have a full page on this Eastern Michigan short line.


Interpool Ltd.

1602, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1952, #16905, as Reading RR 606, Class RS-3.  It was leased as St Johnsbury & Lamoille County RR 606 and leased as Delaware & Hudson 2602 in January 1977.  It was sold to Precision National and sold as IP 1602 in July 1978.  It was resold as Hillsdale County RR 1602 "City of Hillsdale".  It was purchased for parts.


Kalamazoo Lake Shore & Chicago Ry.

This line was begun in 1991 as a passenger service between Paw Paw and Hartford in a former Pere Marquette line. Service was bankrupt in 1995. It was taken over by the Western Michigan RR.

85, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1953, #18907, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 2890, Class 2650.  It was rebuilt by Cleburne in November 1977 as 2110, Class 2050, and retired in October 1984.  It was traded in to General Electric and sold to National Railway Equipment Co.  It was sold as KLS&C 85.

104, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive  in February 1952, #15819, was built as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe  2719, Class 2650. It was rebuilt in February 1974 at Cleburne as 2064, Class 2050. It was retired in March 1989 and sold to Helm Leasing in July 1989. In August it became Huron & Eastern 104 "County of Saginaw". It was later sold to KLS&C and then to the South Central Tennessee where it kept the same number and paint scheme. It was sent to Arkansas in April 2001.

542 was formerly Elgin Joliet & Eastern 542.


Kent-Barry-Eaton Connecting Ry.

KBEC operated 41.8 miles of former PC (NYC/LS&MS) line, excluded from Conrail, running from Grand Rapids to Vermontville, Mi. Initial power on the first all minority managed railroad was 6 leased from the state. Their only loco had an engine failure in March 1980 and Ann Arbor RR 7 was leased.  It had an engine failure shortly and replaced by a Tuscola & Saginaw Bay engine.  Operation was discontinued October 15. 1983

6, S3, was built by Alco in November 1950, #78402, as Ann Arbor RR 6, Class D-6.  It was leased as KBEC 6 on August 1, 1979, and retired in March 1980.  It was scrapped in March 1981.


Keweenaw Central RR

KC was a tourist operation based out of Calumet on the Copper Range RR in 1967 and ran for three years between Calument and Lake Linden.  Boiler problems sidelined the locomotive in the fall of 1970. The abandonment of the CR in 1972 forced KC to cease operations and move their equipment out of Calumet.  

29 was built by Alco-Schenectady in February 1907, #42535, as Copper Range RR 29. Class C-2.   It was sold as KC 29 in 1967 and moved to Quincy Mine.  It was sold to Mid-Continental Railway Museum in 2004.


Lake Linden & Torch Lake RR

3 was built by Porter in May 1915, #5649, as Calumet & Hecla Mining Co 3.  It was retired and placed for display in the 1950s and given to Houghtion County Historical Museum Society in December 1969.  It was restored beginning in 1998 and completed in 2003.  It is operating as LL&TL 3


Lake Superior & Ishpeming RR

We have a full page on this line. 


Lansing Board of Water & Light

1, RS1, was built by Alco in March 1950, #77472, as Washington Terminal Co 60.  It was sold to George Silcott and resold to Birmingham Railway & Locomotive.  It was sold as LBWL 1.

796, SW900,  was built by Electro-Motive in October 1956, #22878, as Grand Trunk Western 7232, Class GS-9b.  It was sold to LBWL as 796 in 1988.

4910, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1957, #22858, as GTW 4910, Class GRG-17k.  It was rebuilt in 1971 without train heat and reclassified GR-17k.  It was sold to LBWL as 4910 in 1995.


Lapeer Industrial RR

5, 65 Ton, was built by General Electric.


Lasco Development Corp.

2007, RSD12, was built by Alco in April 1956, #81943, as Chesapeake & Ohio 6700, Class MRSA-18.  It was reclassified as Class RSD12 in 1964 and renumbered 2007 in 1967.  It was transferred as Baltimore & Ohio 2007, Class RSD12, on September 12, 1969, and sold as Lasco 2007 on March 3, 1972.  It was transferred as Lake Superior & Ishpeming  1800 in 1973 amd renumbered 1850 in 1978.  It was sold as Nashville & Eastern 1850 in May 1989 and transferred as West Tennessee RR 1850 in 1990.  It was retired in 1994.

2009, RSD12, was built by Alco in April 1956, #81945, as C&O 6702, Class MRSA-18.  It was reclassified as Class RSD12 in 1964 and renumbered 2009 in 1967.  It was transferred as B&O 2009, Class RSD12, on September 12, 1969, and sold as Lasco 2009 on March 3, 1972.  It was transferred as LS&I 1806 in 1973 and renumbered 1852 in 1978.  It was sold as N&E 1852 in May 1989 and transferred as WTRR 1852 in 1990.

2010, RSD12, was built by Alco in April 1956, #81946, as C&O 6703, Class MRSA-18.  It was reclassified as Class RSD12 in 1964 and renumbered 2010 in 1967.  It was transferred as B&O 2010, Class RSD12, on September 12, 1969, and sold as Lasco 2010 on March 3, 1972.  It was transferred as LS&I 1807 in 1973 and renumbered 1953 in 1978.  It was sold as N&E 1853 in May 1989 and transferred on WTRR 1853 in 1990.


Lenawee County RR

It was incorporated on March 9, 1977, and operated from Adrian to Riga, 18 miles.  It ended service on September 30, 1990.

1 "Addison J Comstock", S2, was built by Alco in October 1948, #76178, as Baltimore & Ohio 514, Class DS-5A.  It was renumbered 9058, Class SA-3, in 1957 and reclassified as Class S-2 in 1964.  It was sold to Naporano Iron & Metal on June 15, 1976, and resold as George R Silcott Co.  It was leased as LCRR 1 in September 1977 and had a cracked engine block in 1982.  It was scrapped on January 6, 1992.

2 "George Crane", S2, was built by Alco in August 1941, #69550, as Union RR 508, Class D-69.  It was sold to George R Silcott Co and leased as LCRR 2 in September 1977.  It was scrapped on January 6, 1992.


Little River RR

110 Was built by Baldwin in November 1911, #33463, as Little River RR 110..  It was sold as Smoky Mountain Ry 110 in 1940 and sold to Terry Bloom in May 1972.  It was moved several moved several times and now operates as LRRR 110 in Coldwater, MI.


Little Traverse Scenic Ry.

8419, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1942, #1604, FN E462-4, as Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal 219, Class DS-3.  It was reclassified Class DS-3E in 1943 and renumbered 8419, Class SE-1, in 1957.  It was reclassified Class SW-1 in 1965 and transferred to Baltimore & Ohio in January 1974.  It was lettered as Chesapeake & Ohio 8419 on September 19, 1974, and returned as B&O 8419 on March 25, 1976.  It was sold as Union Carbide-Battery Products Div as RAIX 8419 on June 15, 1976, and renamed as Eveready Products,  It was sold as LTS 8410 in 1989.  It was sold as Alanson & Petoskey RR 8419 in August 1990 and sold at auction on September 5, 1992, apparently to Leelanau Scenic RR but never used.  It was sold as Mineral Range RR 600.


Ludington & Northern

We have a full page on this Western Michigan short line.


Manistique & Lake Superior RR

2370 was built by Baldwin on July 24, 1895, #14348, as Toledo Ann Arbor & Northern Michigan 37.  It became Ann Arbor RR as 125, Class I-7, in 1895 and sold as M&LS 12 on March 1, 1920.  It was renumbered in 1925 and scrapped in 1951.

8, caboose, was built at Decatur Wabash Shops in 1925 as Ann Arbor RR 2830.  It was transferred as M&LS 8 on September 22, 1959, and returned as AA 2830 in 1963.  It was sold as Detroit Toledo & Ironton 121 in 1965 and later sold as Michigan Artrain 5.  It was sold to a private museum 16 miles east of Grayling, MI.


Marquette & Huron Mountain RR

18, Class SC-4, was built by Alco in 1910, #46941, as Lake Superior & Ishpeming 18. Class SC-4.  It was sold to M&HM as 18, Class SC-4, in 1963 and was then sold to Ishpeming Steel Co in January 1985.  It was then sold to Lake States Steam Association as 18 and then to Grand Canyon Ry as 18 in 1989.  It was sold as Mount Hood RR 18 in April 2007 and sold as San Luis & Rio Grande RR 18 on January 31, 2008.

19, Class SC-4, was built by Alco-Pittburgh in 1910, #56942, as LS&I 12.    It was renumbered 19, Class SD-4, in August 1923.  It was sold to M&HM as 19, Class SC-4, in July 1963 and was then sold to Ishpeming Steel Co in January 1985.  It was sold to GCRy as 19 in 1985 and displayed at MGM Grand Hotel.  It was sold as Frisco 19 to City of Frisco in 2004.

22, Class SC-4, was built by Alco-Pittsburgh in January  1910, #46944, as Marquette & Southeastern Ry 38.  It was merged as Munising Marquette & Southeastern Ry 38 and merged as LS&I 22 in August 1923.  It was sold to M&HM as 22, Class SC-4, in July 1963 and sold to Richard Goddard in December 1984.

29, Class SC-3, was built by Alco-Pittsburgh in May 1906, #39637, as LS&I 14.  It was renumbered 29, Class SC-3, in August 1923.  It was sold to M&HM as 29, Class SC-3, in July 1963 and then sold to Ishpeming Steel Co in January 1985.  It was sold to GCRy as 29 in 1989

34, Class SC-1, was built by Baldwin in April 1916, 343105, as LS&I 18.  It was renumbered 34 in August 1923.  It was sold to MH&M as 34, Class SC-1, in July 1963 and sold to Illinois Railway Museum in 1971.  It was sold to Western Maryland Scenic RR in 1991 and restored as Western Maryland 734 in 1992.

35, Class SC-1, was built by Baldwin in April 1916, #43106, as LS&I 19.  It was renumbered 35 in August 1923  It was sold to M&HM as 35, Class SC-1, in July 1963 and sold to Dennis Daugherty in December 1983.  It was sold as LS&I 35 to IRM in March 1985.

210, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in December 1946, #28566, as Calumet & Hecla, Inc 210.  It was sold to M&HM in May 1972 but it remained the original lettering and number.  It was then sold as Central Wisconsin RR 210 in 1981 and sold as Whitewater Valley RR 210 in 1985.


McLouth Steel Co.

6, SW900, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1954, #19296, FN 4247-1.

8, SW600, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1954, #19300, FN 4252-1.  It was sold as Alliance Tubular Products Co 8.

13, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1953, #18174, as Campbells Creek RR 13. It was sold to Kellys Creek RR as 13 in 1962 and then to MSCo. as 13 in 1964.


Michigan Council for the Arts

Artrain

4, generator car, was built by American Car & Foundry in 1950 as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 3466.  It was sold as a ICAP and sold to Purdy Co.  It was then sold to a Rod Basidh as 106.  It was then sold as Artrain 4.

5, caboose, was built at Decatur Wabash Shops in 1925 as Ann Arbor RR 2830.  It was transferred as Manistique & Lake Superior 8 on September 22, 1959, and returned as AA 2830 in 1963.  It was sold as Detroit Toledo & Ironton 121 in 1965 and later sold as Artrain 5.  It was sold to a private museum 16 miles east of Grayling, MI.

5, power car, was apparently a car from Ringling Bros Barnum & Bailey.  The body was sold to Texas Tank Car Works.


Michigan Limestone & Chemical Co.

31 was built by Baldwin in May 1928, #60468.    It was sold as Sharon Steel Co 13, and in 1963 it was purchased as Mathews Co 31 for a symbol since they manufacture 'Iron Horse Quality' agriculture equipment.

115, S4, was built by Alco in November  1950, #78420.  It was sold as Beech Mountain RR 115.

123, RS3, was built by Alco in June 1950, #78067, as Oliver Iron Mining Co 1109.  It was sold as ML&C 123 and sold  to Midwest Railway Preservation Society (Lake Shore Railway Assn) in 1991.  It was lettered as Lorain & West Virginia 123. 


Michigan Northern RR

213, RS12, was built by Baldwin in January 1953, #75765, as Seaboard Air Line RR 1472.  It became Seaboard Coast Line 213 in July 1967 and sold as MIGN 213 in 1976.  It was sold as Escanaba & Lake Superior 213 in 1980.  It is out of service.

300, RS12, was built by Baldwin in January 1953, #75767, as SAL 1474.  It became SCL 215 in July 1967 and sold as MIGN 215 in 1976.  It was sold as E&LS 215 in 1980 and rebuilt in 1982 as 300.

671, steam generator, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1955, #20507, FN 2070-B1. as Union Pacific 967B, E9B.  It was sold as Amtrak 467 in January 1972 and retired on June 16, 1974.  It was rebuilt at Paducah in 1975 as 1919, steam generator, and renumbered 671 in 1977.  It was sold as MIGN 671 in May 1983.  It was donated to Illinois Railway Museum in 2000 and sold to Wisconsin & Southern in 2006.  It was restored for service as WSOR 102 in August 2008

1501, RS2, was built by Alco in February 1950, #77917, as Green Bay & Western 304. It was sold to MIGN as 1501 in October 1976 and was later scrapped.

1607, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1952, #15635, as Toledo Peoria & Western 103. It was sold to MIGN as 1607 in December 1983. Later it became Wyoming-Colorado RR 1607 and sold as Arizona Central 2279.

1608, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1952, #15634, as TP&W 102.  It was sold to MIGN as 1608 in December 1983 and later became WyCo 1608.  It was transferred as Oregon Eastern RR 1608.

1617, RS3, was built by Alco in July 1952, #80135, as Chicago & North Western 1617. It was retired on July 26, 1977, and sold to MIGN as 1617 in October 1977.  It was derelict in March 1981.


Michigan Shore RR

This is a Rail America line.


Michigan Southern RR

This Pioneer Railcorp line is included in their page.


Michigan State University

No number, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric on February 14, 1942, #15155, as United States Army 7065.  It had served at Pine Bluff Arsenal and sold to MSU in February 1959.


Mid-Michigan RR

This is a Rail America line.


Mineral Range RR (old)

404, Class D-2.


Mineral Range RR (new)

600, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1942, #1604, FN E462-4, as Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal 219, Class DS-3.  It was reclassified Class DS-3E in 1943 and renumbered 8419, Class SE-1, in 1957.  It was reclassified Class SW-1 in 1965 and transferred to Baltimore & Ohio in January 1974.  It was lettered as Chesapeake & Ohio 8419 on September 19, 1974, and returned as B&O 8419 on March 25, 1976.  It was sold as Union Carbide-Battery Products Div as RAIX 8419 on June 15, 1976, and renamed as Eveready Products,  It was sold as Little Traverse Scenic Ry 8410 in 1989.  It was sold as Alanson & Petoskey RR 8419 in August 1990 and sold at auction on September 5, 1992, apparently to Leelanau Scenic RR but never used.  It was sold as MRRR 600.


National Lime Co.

No number, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric.


Newberry Lumber & Chemical Co.

18 was built by Alco-Cooke in November 1920, #62624, as Charcoal Iron Co 18.  It was sold as NL&CCo 18 and resold as Boyne City RR 18.  It was sold as Arcade & Attica 18 in 1962.


 M. D. Olds Lumber Co.

1 was built by Climax in June 1915, #1359.  It was sold as Alberta Lumber Co 1 and resold as Canadian Robert Dollar Co Ltd 3.  It was sold as Abernethy Lougheed Logging Co Ltd 44 and sold as Hillcrest Lumber Co 2 in 1927.  It was renumbered 9 and preserved in 1965 by British Columbia Forest Discovery Centre.


Ontonagon RR

Huss Lumber Co.

Huss-Ontonagon Pulp & Paper Co

6 was built by Baldwin in May 1916, #43340, as Mellen Lumber Co. 6.  It was transferred as Ontonagon RR 6 in 1928 and became Huss Lumber Co 6 in 1932.  It was purchased by National Container Corp and became H-OP&P 6 in 1955.  The company was sold as Hoerner Boxes Inc in November 1962 and consolidated with Hoerner-Waldorf Co in June 1966.

Un-numbered plow.


Peaker Services

1, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in June, 1947, #4721, as Union Pacific 1075. It was retired in February 1975 and sold it to Peaker on December 4, 1979. They rebuilt it in 1981 as their 1, and sold it as Marinette Tomahawk & Western 81 in April, 1981.  It was sold as Nekoosa Paper Co 26 and became Georgia-Pacific Corp 26 in 1996.  It became Domtar Corp 26 in 2001.

P2, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1966, #31245, FN 4491-18, as Texas & Pacific 1297.  It became Missouri Pacific 1297 in October 1976 and retired on February 28, 1985.  It sold to Precision National in April 11, 1985, and sold as Peaker P2 in July 1985.  It was leased as Great Lake Steel Co 55 and became National Steel Corp 55.  It was sold to National Railway Equipment Co and rebuilt as United States Navy 65-00365, 1GS7B, in May 2012.


Port Huron & Detroit RR

52, S1, was built by Alco in July 1945, #73578.  It was sold as Coe Rail 52 in May 1985.

61, S2, was built by Alco in January 1949, #76588.  It was sold to Genesee & Wyoming and resold as Big South Fork Scenic Ry 105.


Quincy & Torch Lake Ry.

Quincy Mining Co.

We have a full page on this Upper Peninsula narrow gauge.


Saginaw Valley RR

301, GP38, was built in November 1969, #36024, as Southern Ry 2776.  It was sold as SVRR 301 and transferred as New England Central 3869.

998, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1965, #30004, as Terminal RR of St. Louis 1234, Class E-12. It was sold to Indiana Hi-Rail as 234 and was taken by Wabash & Ohio as 234. In 1995 it was sold to SVRR as 998.


St. Clair Tunnel Co.

We have a full page on this railroad.


Southeast Michigan Transit Authority

This commuter operation lasted only from 1978 thru 1987.

901, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1957, #22856, FN 5514-2, as Grand Trunk Western 4908, Class GRG-17k.  It was retired in April 1977 and sold as SEMTA 901 in 1977.  It was rebuilt at Paducah in January 1980 and retired on October 17, 1983.  It was sold as Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority 901 on February 10, 1987, and sold for parts in October 1993 to Green Mountain RR.  It was scrapped.

902, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1957, #22863, FN 5514-9, as GTW 4915, Class GRG-17k.  It was retired in April 1977 and sold as SEMTA 902 in 1977.  It was rebuilt at Paducah in January 1989 and retired on October 17, 1983.  It was as MBTA 902 on February 1987.

903, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1960, #25740, FN 5613-1, as GTW 4950, Class GRG-18b.  It was sold as SEMTA 903 and was sold to MBTA as 903 on February 10, 1987.  It was sold to Naporano Iron & Metal in October 1994 and scrapped in 1995.

904, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1960, #25742, FN 5613-3, as GTW 4952, Class GRG-18b. It was sold as SEMTA 904. It was sold to MBTA as 904 on February 10, 1987.

905, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1956, #22139,  FN 5474-30 , as New York New Haven & Hartford 1229, Class DERS-4. In 1969 it became Penn Central 7559, Class ERS-17s, and in April 1976 it became Consolidated Railroad Corp 7559, Class GP-9. It was transferred to MBTA as 7559 and then leased to SEMTA as 905 on October 6, 1978. On February 10, 1987, it was returned to MBTA as 905.  It was sold to A J Belliveau RR Construction as Connecticut Central RR 905 in October 1994.  It was transferred as Central New England RR 905 in 1997.

108 "Hazel Park" was built by Budd as Pennsylvania RR 8254 "Collinsville Inn".  It became Penn Central 1508 in 1968 and sold as SEMTA 108 "Hazel Park" in 1978.  It was sold as Metro-North Commuter RR 108 in 1984.

4815 "Beverly Hills".  It went to MNC in 1984.


Spartan Steel Coating

1227, SW10, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1951, #15071, as Union Pacific 1873, TR5. It was rebuilt and numbered 1227 at Omaha on December 30, 1981. It was retired on May 14, 1996, and sold to Ohio Central as 1227 in June 1997. It was later sold to SSC as 1227.


Tuscola & Saginaw Bay Ry.

Great Lakes Central RR

466, RS2u, was built by Alco in November 1946, #73645, as Detroit & Mackinac 466 . It was rebuilt by Alco in April 1956 and sold to TSBY as 466 in March 1982. It was resold to Michigan Southern Ry in 1991.

2648 "City of Howell", GP35, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1965, #29903, as Southern Ry 2648.  It was retired in September 1989 and sold to Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Co in February 1990.  It was sold as TSBY 2648 "City if Howell" and became GLC 2648 in 2006.


University of Michigan

An unnumbered electric locomotive was built by General Electric in March 1915, #5068, for the UofM. In 1949 it was sold to the Warwick Ry as 100. They rebuilt it as a diesel switcher 100 in 1954. In August 1959 it became Strasburg RR 100. It was rebuilt in 1960 as 7 and retired in November 1963. It was scrapped in 1977 and parts were sold to the Middletown & Hummelstown RR.

Richard Olszewski has an excellent history on this operation.


White Pine Copper Co.

10387, 25 Ton, was built by General Electric in October 1954, #32250, as Turner Construction Co 10387.  It was sold as WPCCo 10387 and resold as Andersons Inc with no number.


Wisconsin & Michigan RR

2 was built as Texas & Pacific 2520.  It became Missouri Pacific 13085 and sold as Lake Superior & Ishpeming 2.  It was sold to W&M 2 in 1993, but the project failed.


Wyandotte Southern RR

D-100, DS4-4-660, was built by Baldwin in September 1948, #73804.


Wyandotte Terminal RR

103, VO660, was built by Baldwin in November 1945, #72826. In 1984 it was sold to Chrome Crankshaft and then to Illinois Railway Museum.

107, S4, was built by Alco in May 1953, #80448, as New York Chicago & St Louis 79, Class ASM-10d.  It became Norfolk & Western 2079 in 1965 and retired on December 6, 1974.  It was sold to Naporano Iron & Metal and resold to George Silcott in June 1975.  It was sold as WT 107 in 1976 and sold as RSA Leasing Co 17 in 1982.  It was leased as Allegheny Southern Ry 17 in 1982 and sent to Ontario Midland in 1984 but not used.  It was sold to Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum in 1987 and restored as NKP 79 in 1993.

 

Roster information: Chuck Zeiler

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

8/6/2014

Memorial of Saint Gezelin

Feast of the Transfiguration of Our Lord

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

The LORD reigns;

let the earth rejoice:

let the many coastlands be glad!

--Psalm 97:1