Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc. You can find it at Ebay as trinitydon .
This site is non-profit and non-commercial. We would
appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.
Don's Rail Photos
Oneonta & Otego Valley Ry.
Oneonta Cooperstown & Richfield Springs Ry.
Oneonta & Mohawk Valley Ry.
Otsego & Herkimer RR
Southern New York Power & Railway Co.
Southern New York Ry.
In 1900 the street railway in Oneonta adopted the name Oneonta Cooperstown
and Richfield Springs Railway, and began building an interurban northward. In 1901
the track reached Cooperstown (28 miles), and in 1902 a branch was opened from
Index to Richfield Springs (16 miles). The line was pushed north from Richfield Springs to Mohawk (13 miles) in 1904. In
1906 the line became the Oneonta and Mohawk Valley Railway and in 1908 the Otsego and Herkimer Railroad. In 1916
it became the Southern New York Power and Railway Company, and in 1924 the Southern New York Railway, when the
company's flourishing power business was
separated from the interurban.
The interurban did not parallel a railroad, and early in its history gained access to railroad interchange. In its dependence on freight revenues in later years, the road resembled some of the Western interurbans. Passenger traffic declined relatively early, and by 1930 service was reduced to two round trips a day. In the early years a shuttle car ran between Cooperstown and Index, meeting mainline trains, but later through cars made the 3-mile trip on each run. The road served hilly country, and there were many impressive views of
lakes and mountains. Passenger cars ran over the Utica and Mohawk Valley into Herkimer to make connections for Utica, and there were occasional through passenger movements. There were through interurban freight movements between Oneonta and Utica regularly. The road operated a railway post office.
For persistence in the face of adversity, this company had few rivals. After its separation from the power business it never covered its operating costs, but nonetheless continued operating. In 1926 it gave up its city lines in Oneonta, and in 1930 it began terminating its interurbans in West Oneonta. In 1933 it ceased carrying passengers and abandoned the track north of Jordanville, where a quarry controlled by the interurban's owners was the road's principal source of revenue and its reason for survival. Freight service from the
quarry to Oneonta continued under electric power until 1940, when all the mileage was abandoned except for a short distance from an interchange with the Delaware & Hudson at Oneonta to West Oneonta, which remained in switching service with a diesel locomotive.
-Hilton & Due
60 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in 1908, #945.
62 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in 1908, #945, It was sold as Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Ry 62 in 1922 and renumbered 162 in 1923, It was rebuilt as 109 in 1939 and scrapped in 1947.
63 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in 1908, #945.
64 was built by Cincinnati Car Co in 1911, #1350. It was sold as CR&IC 64 in 1922 and renumbered 164 in 1923. It was rebuilt as 78 in 1934 and retired in 1954.
131 was built by Ruggles.
44 was built by Climax in 1909, #948, as Mount Hope Coal & Coke Co 44. It was sold as Emporium Forestry Co 44 in 1927 and resold as SNY 44 in 1949. It was scrapped in 1956.
WebWork by rinity echnology Co.
Memorial of St. Anastasius the Fuller
Praise the LORD!
Sing to the LORD a new song;
His praise in the assembly of the faithful!