Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Under Construction

North Carolina Short Lines and Industrial Railroads

Aberdeen & Briar Patch

This road was absorbed by the Aberdeen Carolina & Western in approximately 1993.

896, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1950, #11592, FN 6105-5, as Seaboard Air Line 1716. It became Seaboard Coast Line 896 in July 1967. It became AC&W 896 and was later renumbered 701.


 Aberdeen & Rockfish RR

We have a full page on this road.


Aberdeen Carolina & Western

We have a full page on this road.


Alexander RR

1, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric in August 1941, #13190, as North Carolina Shipbuilding Co 3002.  It was transferred as United States Maritime Commission 2 and was sold as Alexander 1 in March 1946.  It was resold as Louisiana Southern RR 502 in August 1946 and transferred as New Orleans & Northeeastern 6841 in August 1959.  It was sold to Little Giant Co in 1972 and damaged and retired.

6, S3, was built by Alco in September 1953, #80292, as Davenport Rock Island & North Western 5.  It was sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive in December 1975 and sold as AKEX 6 in 1976.

9, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1972, #4608-37, FN 4608-37, as Southern Pacific 2627, Class ES415-4.  It was sold as Southwest Pennsylvania RR 2627 in 2006 and sold as ARC 9 in 2008.

100 "Alexandria".


Atlantic & North Carolina RR

Atlantic & East Carolina Ry.

The Atlantic & North Carolina Railroad was formed in 1854 and by 1858 had completed the line form Morehead City to Goldsboro where it interchanged with the North Carolina Railroad and the Wilmington & Weldon RR. In 1904 operation of the A&NC was leased to the Norfolk & Southern Railroad. In 1932 the bankrupt N&S defaulted on the lease payments so the A&NC withdrew the lease in 1935 and began operating itself again. In 1939 operations were again lease, this time to the newly formed Atlantic & East Carolina Railway Co. headquartered in Kinston.

In July 1946 the A&EC became the shortest railroad in North America to operate mainline diesel power, and by 1951 had completely dieselized its locomotive fleet. In 1957-58 the A&EC became a subsidiary of the Southern Railway. Today, the line is still owned by the Atlantic & North Carolina which is seventy percent owned by the state of North Carolina

103 was built by Baldwin in 1907, #31488, as Atlantic Coast Line 989, Class K-5.  It was sold as A&NC 103 on April 1, 1936, and scrapped in 1945.

400, F2A, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1946, #3419, FN E681A-1.  It was retired on August 7, 1961, and traded in to Electro-Motive in December 1961.

402, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric in May 1943, #15774, as United States Army 7088.  It was sold to Pan American Engineering Co in 1947 and resold as Laurinburg & Southern 102 in 1947.  It was resold as A&EC 6 on February 18, 1957, and renumbered 402 on July 30, 1958.  It was retired in 1969 and sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co.  It was scrapped on August 18, 1970.

404, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1947, #4582, FN E812-1, as 9.  It was renumbered 404 in 1958 and became 1007 in 1971.  It was sold as Lexington & Ohio Ry 1007.


Atlantic & Western Ry.

The Atlantic & Western RR was chartered in 1899 to build a line from Sanford to Goldsboro, a distance of 70 miles. Only 24 miles was built from Sanford to Lillington. In 1927 it was reorganized as the A&W Ry. In 1932 they had 4 locomotives, 2 cabooses, and 1 combination car, and 30 employees.

6 was built by Baldwin.

12 was built by Baldwin in November 1911, #37161, as Raleigh & Southport Ry 10.  It became Raleigh Charlotte & Southern 10 in February 1912 and Norfolk Southern Ry 99 in January 1914.  It was renumbered 203 and sold as A&W 12 in 1946.  It was donated to Railroad House Historical Association in 1966.

644 was obviously purchased second-hand.

100, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in September 1950, #30452.

101, 80 Ton, was built by Porter in January 1944, #7607, as United States Navy 65-00141.  It was sold as Durham & Southern 500 in October 1962 and resold as AWRR 101 in 1965.

2015.


Beaufort & Morehead RR

85, 80DE7b, was built by Whitcomb in 1944, #60511, for Naval Ammo Depot.  It was sold as B&MR 85 and resold as Chesapeake RR 85..

95, 80DE7B, was built by Whitcomb in 1946, #60682, as United States Navy 65-00010.  It was sold as B&MR 95 and resold as Chesapeake 95.

1203, SW1200RS, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1955, #20668, FN 4316-3, as Illinois Terminal RR 777, Class ES-12.  It was renumbered 1203 and became Norfolk & Western 1203 in November 1981.  It was sold as B&MR 1203.


Becker Sand & Gravel Co.

We have a full page on this interstate company.


Black Mountain Ry

It was incorporated in 1910 and operated from a connection to the Clinchfield at Kona to Pemsacola (21 miles) with a 2 mile branch from Micaville to Bowditch. In 1927 it abandoned 11 miles from Burnsville to Pensacola. The road was owned by the Clinchfield which was owned by the Atlantic Coast Line and the Louisville & Nashville..

1 was built by Columbus Chicago & Indiana Central RR in August 1882 as 423.  It became Chicago St Louis & Pittsburg RR 423 in March 1983 and became Pittsburgh Cincinnati Chicago & St Louis Ry 423 in October 1890.  It was renumber 543 in August 1899 and sold as Ohio River & Charleston Ry 5 in March 1900.  It became South & Western Ry5 in January 1905 and became Carolina Clinchfield & Ohio Ry 5 in April 1908.  It was sold as BMRy 1 in April 1913 and sold as Clinchfield RR 1 in April 1955.  It was donated to City of Erwin in October 1955 and returned back to Clinchfield.  It was donated to the B&O Museum in May 1981.


Blue Ridge Paper Co.

6056, SW1001, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1979, #786212-1, FN 786212-1, as Champion Paper Co 06056.  The plant was to be closed in 1999 and became independent owned by the employees.


Carolina & Northwestern RR

108, NW2u, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1947, #4584, FN E813-2, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1027. It was renumbered 8 in 1958 and rebuilt by Electro-Motive in June 1961.  It was sold to Rail-Link Inc as Commonwealth Ry 108 in September 1989 and transferred as CNWS 108 in May 1990.  It was transferred as Rail-Link 108 in 1995.  It was sent to Texas Gulf Sulphur, Aurora, NC, after 1998.  It was scrapped. 

477, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1949, #8937, FN 1234-A18, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 225C, Class 200, an F7A.  It was rebuilt at Cleburne in July 1976 as 2477, Class 2417.  It was sold as Tennken RR 2477 and sold as Nashville & Eastern RR 2477.  It was sold as Rail Link 477 and assigned as CNWS 477.  It was sold to Joseph Transportation Co as JTPX 477 and scrapped in 2005.


Carolina & Northwestern Ry.

CRN was a Southern Ry road.

6, RS3, was built by Alco in October 1950, #78327.  It was retired.

11, RS11, was built by Alco in March 1956, #81484.  It was traded in to General Electric in October 1973 and sold as Chicago & North Western 4651 on December 22, 1973.  It was renumbered 4251 in 1974 and retired August 9, 1983.  Disposition is not known.

2257, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1947, #4757, FN E828-9, as Carolina & North Western 2257.  It was renumbered 1048 in December 1972 and transferred as Southern RR 1048 in 1974.  It was sold as Hartwell RR 1048 in 1983 and shortly sold as Babcock & Wilcox Co 049.  It became Koppel Steel Corp 049.


Carolina Coastal RR

CLNA began operations in 1989, leasing the line from the current Norfolk Southern Railway. This 17-mile route serves the stations of Pinetown, Acre, Terra Ceia, Bishops Crossing, Pantego, and Belhaven. It was a subsidiary of Rail-Link Inc which became part of Genesee & Wyoming in 1995.  It became independent in 2003.

95, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric in May 1948 as Kelsey-Hayes Co.  It was purchased in 1989 as CLNA 95 and resold as Rail-Link 95.

127 was built by Baldwin and rebuilt by Electro-Motive.

486, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1955, #20165, FN 5378-19, as Illinois Central 9086.  It was sold as Cedar Valley RR 9086 in September 1984 and sold as Rail-Link 486.   It was sold as CLNA 486 in 2003.


Carolina Power Co.

1010, S1, was built by Alco.  It was sold as George R Silcott Co 1010.


Carolina Southern Ry.

This line was closed in 1947.

100.


Carolina Southern RR

100, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1960, #25450, FN 5605-1, as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 1333.  It was sold to Chrome Crankshaft in 1980 and sold as Nashville & Ashland City RR 0009 in December 1981.  It became McCormick Ashland City & Nashville RR 0009 and sold as CALA 100 in 1993.

146, SW900, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1956, #23075, FN 4383-1, as Canton RR 46.   It was sold as CALA 146 and later sold as Rail-Link Inc 146

286, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1965, #30512, FN 7811-2, as Richmond Fredericksburg & Potomac 85.  It was sold as CALA 285 and later sold as Rail Link Inc 285.

950, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1961, #26791, FN 5633-12, as Norfolk & Western 950. It was retired in April 1987 and sold in May 1987 to Duval Transportation of the Carolinas as 950. It then became Mid Atlantic RR as 950 in November 1987 and later became CALA 950 in February 1995.

958, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1961, #26799, FN 5633-20, as N&W 958. It was retired in April 1987 and sold in May 1987 to Duval Transportation of the Carolinas as 958. It then became MARR as 958 in November 1987 and later became CALA 958 in February 1995,.

 

2613, GP30,  was built by Electro-Motive in October 1963, #28583, FN 7669-29, as Southern Ry 2613.  It was sold as CALA 2613.

3617, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1967, #33280, FN 7065-1, as Maine Central 263, Class DRS-4. It later became Helm Leasing 3617.  It was sold as Yadkin Valley RR 3617 in 2004 and transferred as CALA 3617 in 2008.

4002, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1969, #35376, FN 51919-73, as Penn Central 7747, Class EF-20. It became Consolidated Railroad Corp 7747, Class GP-38, in April 1976, and was sold to CM&W as 7747 in 1986. It was renumbered 2020 and became Gateway Western 2020 in 1990. It later went to Helm as 2020 and was rebuilt as 3614.  It was sold as YVRR 3614 in 2005 and became Knoxville & Holston River RR 3614 in 2006.  It became CALA 4002 in 2008.

9158, F7Au, was built by General Motors in August 1952, #A360, FN C145A-9, as Canadian National 9080, Class V-1-A-d.  It was reclassified as Class GFA-15d in September 1954 and rebuilt in November 1972 as 9158, Class GFA-13a.  It was retired on December 4, 1989, and sold to Century Locomotive Parts.  It was sold as Waccamaw Coastline RR 9158 and resold as CALA 9158.

9163, F7Au, was built by General Motors in October 1952, #A394 , FN C145A-25, as CN 9116, Class V-1-A-d.  It was reclassified Class GFA-15d in September 1954 and rebuilt in April 1973 as 9163, Class GFA-17a.  It was retired on December 4, 1989, and sold to Century Locomotive Parts.  It was sold as WCLR 9163 and resold as CALA 9163.

3320 "City of Myrtle Beach" was built in 1918 as Illinois Central 2173, a coach.  It was rebuilt as 3320 "Paducah" in 1947.  It was sold as CALA 3320 and resold to Pullman Rail Journeys as San Luis & Rio Grande RR 3320 in 2011.  It is being restored at Alamosa.


Cherokee Lumber Co.

8 was built by Lima on January 31, 1924, #3250, as Cherokee Lumber Co 8.  It was returned to Lima on July 8, 1925, and sold as Connor Lumber & Land Co 16 in September 1926.  It was scrapped.


Chesapeake & Albemarle RR

This is a Rail America line.


Cliffside RR

It was a 3.7 mile line opened in 1905 between Cliffside and Cliffside Junction.  It acquired Seaboard trackage from Cliffside Junction to Ellenboro for a total 8.14 miles in 1984.  Service was suspended in 1987 and abandoned in January 1992.

10, 35 Ton was built by General Electric in March 1955, #32327, as Old Ben Coal Co 55.  It was sold as CRR 10 and sold as Inspiration Consolidated Copper Co 107 in 1987.  It became Cyprus Amax Minerals 107.  It was sold as Motive Power & Equipment Solutions 107.

13, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in September 1954, #32262, as Kansas City Connecting RR 13.  It was sold to CRR as 13 in December 1970 and no information on disposition.

40 was built by Baldwin in December 1925, #58824, as Lancaster & Chester 40.  It was sold to CRR as 40 in 1947 and sold to New Hope & Ivyland as 40 in 1962.


Clinton Terminal RR

2480, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1956, #21137, FN 3191-A11, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 286L, Class 281, a F9A. It was rebuilt at Cleburne in February 1976 as 2480, Class 2417, and retired on January 9, 1986. It was sold to Blue Mountain & Reading in September 1986 and sold to Waccamaw Coast Line as 2480 in Augusut 1988. It later was transferred to CTRR as 2480.


Coubourne Brothers Lumber Co.

4 was built by Glover Machine Co in 1916, #91421.  It was sold for display as Six Gun RR 4.  After the business closed, the engine was moved and restored as Glover Machine Co 4.


Dixie Railroad

200, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1954, #19201, FN 5321-A71, as Union Pacific 200.  It was sold to Rail Car Corp in May 1980 and sold to Dixie RR as 200 in August 1987.  It became Great Smoky Mountain RR as 200 in September 1988 and sold to Central RR of Indianapolis as 200 in 1993.


Durham & Southern RR

We have a full page on this road.


Franklin County RR

105, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in January 1948, #29466, as High Point Thomasville & Denton RR 202.  It was sold as Laurinburg & Southern Ry 105 on October 29, 1968, and later assigned as FCRR 105.  It is stored.


Graham County RR

1926 was built by Lime May 1926, #3299, as Tallahassee Power Co 10.  It was sold as Nantahala Power & Light Co 10 and sold as GCRR 1926 in September 1940.  It was repaired around 1960 and renumbered 3220.  It was sold to Michael Miller in 1967 for parts and was sold to Cass Scenic RR for parts in 2005.

17, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1952, #15956, FN 6373-8, as Atlantic Coast Line 57.  It became Seaboard Coast Line 17 in July 1967 and sold to GCRR as 17 in May 1982.  It then was sold to Carolina Eastman as 17 and then to Atlantic Steel Corp as 17.  It then went to Armco Steel Corp as 17 and then to Warren Consolidated Industries as 830.  

102, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in April 1953, #31725, as Georgia State Port Authority 102.  It became Savannah State Docks RR 102 and sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive in July 1973.  It was sold as GCRR 102 and resold to George R Silcott Co.  They sold it as Gifford-Hill Co 10082 in 1982 and rebuilt in 1984.


Great Smoky Mountain RR

 

We have a full page on this road.


High Point Thomasville & Denton RR

201 was a 70 Ton built by General Electric in January, 1948, #29465. In October, 1968, it was purchased by and lettered for Superior Stone Co as 201. It never got to be lettered for the Rockton & Rion. In 1976 it became Birmingham Rail & Locomotive 139. They sold it to McWane Cast Iron Pipe Co. as 70 in February, 1976. It was scrapped in 1984.

202, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in January 1948, #29466.  It was sold as Laurinburg & Southern Ry 105 on October 29, 1968, and later assigned as Franklin County RR 105.  It is stored.

203, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in January 1948, #29467, as High Point Thomasville & Denton RR 203.  It was sold as Superior Stone Co 203 on October 24, 1968, and became Martin Marietta Corp 203.  It was sold through George Silcott to LRS as 102 in March 1985 and sold as Atlantic & Western RR 102 in December 1986.


Laurinburg & Southern Ry.

We have a full page on this road.


Maxton Oil & Fertilizer Co.

108, 35 Ton, was built by Plymouth, #5608.


Mid Atlantic RR

950, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1961, #26791, FN 5633-12, as Norfolk & Western 950. It was retired in April 1987 and sold in May 1987 to Duval Transportation of the Carolinas as 950. It then became Mid Atlantic RR as 950 in November 1987 and later became Carolina Southern RR 950 in February 1995.

958, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1961, #26799, FN 5633-20, as N&W 958. It was retired in April 1987 and sold in May 1987 to Duval Transportation of the Carolinas as 958. It then became MARR as 958 in November 1987 and later became CASO 958 in February 1995,.

 


Nantahala Power & Light Co.

1926 was built by Lima in May 1926, #3299, as Tallahassee Power Co 10.  It was sold as Nantahala Power & Light Co 10 and sold as Graham Ccounty RR 1926 in September 1940.  It was repaired around 1960 and renumbered 3220.  It was sold to Michael Miller in 1967 for parts and was sold to Cass Scenic RR for parts in 2005.


North Carolina & Virginia RR

This is a Rail America line.


North Carolina Department of Transportation

1755 "City of Salisbury", F59PHI, was built by General Motors in November 1998, #966722-22, FN 966722-22.

1768 "City of Charlotte", GP40PH-2, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1971, #38488, FN 7340-34, as Baltimore & Ohio 4008, Class GP-40.  It became CSX Transportation 6583, Class GP-40, and sold to Helm Leasing Corp on May 28, 1991.  It was rebuilt by Atelier in October 1992 as NCDOT 1768 and resold as Virginia Railway Express V24 "City of Manassas" in 2000.

1792 "City of Raleigh". GP40PH-2, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1966, #32449, FN 5718-7, as Louisville & Nashville 3006, Class GP-40.  It became Seaboard System RR 6803 and later became CSX 6803, Class GP-40.  It was rebuilt by Atelier in 1992 as NCDOT 1792 and wrecked at Mebane, NC, in May 2010.  It was parted out.

1797 "City of Asheville", F59PHI, was built by General Motors in December 1998, #966722-23, FN 966722-23.

1810 "City of Greensboro", F59PH, was built by General Motors in November 1988, #A4754, FN C465-10, as Government of Ontario Transit 529, Class GCE-430g.  It was sold as NCDOT 1810 in 2009.

1859 "City of High Point", F59PH, was built by General Motors in December 1988, #A4759, FN C465-15, as GOT 534, Class GCE-430g.  It was sold as NCDOT 1859 in 2009.

1869 "City of Durham", F59PH, was built by General Motors in December 1988, #4760, FN C465-16, as GOT 535, Class GCE-430g.  It was sold as NCDOT 1866 and renumbered 1869.

400301 "Mount Mitchell", dome, was built by Pullman-Standard in 1952, #6908, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 53.  It was sold as Canadian National "Athabasca" in January 1965 and renumbered 2701 in April 1974.  It became Via Rail Canada 2701 in March 1978 and retired in June 1982.  It was sold to Rail Travel Associates in February 1983 and painted as 53 in August 1984.  It was donated to MidContinent Railway Museum in 1985 but never used.  It was sold to C&NW as 421 "Powder River" in 1985.  It was sold to NCDOT as 400301 "Mount Mitchell" in 1996, but never used.  It was sold to Friends of the 261 and repainted for service as North Star Rail 800862.


North Carolina Ports Authority

L3, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric in 1943.  It was retired in 1980 and given to North Carolina Transportation Museum.

L11, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1952, #17556, FN 5121-2, as Georgia RR 1032.  It was sold as NCPA L11.


North Carolina Ports RR

8, DS4-4-1000, was built by Baldwin in August 1950, #74883, as Seaboard Air Line 1444.  It became Seaboard Coast Line 56 in July 1967 and sold as NCPRR 8.  It was sold as Nucor Steel Corp 8.

1026, GP7. was built by Electro-Motive in October 1950, #12001, FN 5042-2, as  Georgia RR 1026.  It was sold as NCPRR 1026 and later restored as GARR 1026.


North Carolina Shipbuilding Co.

3002, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric in August 1941, #13190.  It was transferred as United States Maritime Commission 2 and was sold as Alexander RR 1 in March 1946.  It was resold as Louisiana Southern RR 502 in August 1946 and transferred as New Orleans & Northeastern 6841 in August 1959.  It was sold to Little Giant Co in 1972 and damaged and retired.


Piedmont & Northern Ry

We have a full page on this line.


Raleigh & Southport Ry.

Raleigh Charlotte & Southern Ry.

10 was built by Baldwin in November 1911, #37161, as R&S 10.  It became RC&S 10 in February 1912 and Norfolk Southern Ry 99 in January 1914.  It was renumbered 203 and sold as Atlantic & Western 12 in 1946.  It was donated to Railroad House Historical Association in 1966.


Smoky Mountain Ry.

This is not to be confused with the Smoky Mountain RR in Tennessee.

35 was built by Lima in August 1910, #2366, as Raleigh & Southwestern RR 35.  It was sold to SMRy as 35 in January 24, 1921, and then transferred to W. M. Ritter Lumber Co. as 35 in October 1938.  It became Brimstone RR in 1942.  Georgia=Pacific acquired the line and it became Brimstone & New River Ry in July 1965.  It was closed in October 1954 and purchased by Southern Ry. in April 1965.  It was loamed to the Tennessee Valley RR Museum and then to Yolo Short Line RR.  It was sold to Matt Brieve in 1992 and then to Silver Bend Tree Farm in 1995.  It is stored in parts.


South Appalachia Ry

15 was built by H K Porter in March 1917, #5966, as Mesta Machine Works 4.  It was sold as Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal 15 and sold as SARy 15 in 1965.  It was sold as Toledo Lake Erie & Western 15 in 1975 and rebuilt at Strasburg RR as Thomas the Tank Engine 1 in 1998.


Swain County Chamber of Commerce

This unknown caboose is the visitor center.


Thermal Belt Ry.

1, SCm, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1938, #718, FN E209-1, as Union Terminal Ry of St Joseph 5.  It was transferred as St Joseph Belt Ry 5 and renumbered 6005 in 1962.  It was sold to Precision Engineering Co on August 9, 1965, and sold as Pickens RR 3.  It was sold to Birmingham Rail and Locomotive and sold to Duke Power.  It was sent to Chattahoochee Locomotive and rebuilt with a Cummins engine as Duke 117 for the Cherokee Nuclear Power Plant.  When it was halted in 1982, it was sold as TBRY1.


Vulcan Materials Co.

This is a national company.


Williamson & Brown Log & Lumber Co.

3 was built by Lima in June 1910, #1116.  It was sold as Argent Lumber Co 5 and sold to Stone Machine Co in January 1960.  It was sold to George Roose in 1964 and sold to the Ramey family later.  It is offered for sale by D F Barnhardt.


Yadkin RR

100, Model 10, was built by Edwards Ry Motor Car Co in 1924.  It was sold as Chesterfield & Lancaster RR 100 in 1932.  When the line was abandoned, it was sold as a shoe shop in Chesterfield and later became a concession stand at the Chesterfield ball park.  It was put in the county landfill until 2000 when it was stored in Norwood, NC.  It is owned by Alexander Chapter, NRHS and efforts are being done to restore the car.


Yadkin Valley RR

We have a full page on this line.

 

Roster Information:  Randy Keller.

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

10/15/2014

Memorial of Saint Odilo

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

Work hard every day at increasing your purity of heart, which consist in appraising things and weighing them in the balance of God's will.

--St. Francis de Sales