Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Texas Short Lines and Industrial Railroads

Age of Steam Railroad Museum

504, lunch counter. was built by American Car & Foundry in 1949, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 1554.  It was sold as Cadillac & Lake City "Emerald Lake" in 1969 and resold as Algoma Central 504 in 1972.  It was sold for ASRM 504 in 2005.

"Glen Navis" was built by Pullman-Standard Co in 1925, #4922, as Pullman Co "Glen Navis",  It was rebuilt as Halliburton Co 1 and later donated to ASRM as Pullman :Glen Navis".


AG Processing

We have a full page on this grain processing company.


Agri Industries

We have a full page on this food company.


Alamo Gulf Coast RR

1, SD38-2, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1971, #37550, FN 7319-8, as Missouri Pacific 777, SD40.  It was renumbered 3077 in March 1971 and sold as Helm Leasing 5077,  It was then sold as General American Transportation Corp 5077 and rebuilt as Burlington Northern 7305, Class SD-40G, in May 1989.  It was rebuilt as Locomotive Leasing Partners 4305 in July 1997 and later rebuilt as Belt Ry of Chicago 566, SD38-3.  It was resold as AGCR 1.

2, SD38-3, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1971, #37543, FN 7319-1, as MP 770, SD40.  It was renumbered 3070 in March 1971 and sold as Helm 5070.  It was then sold as GATX 5070 and rebuilt by Morrison Knudsen as BN 7300, Class SD-40G, in April 1989.  It was rebuilt as LLPX 4302 in July 1997 and later rebuilt as BRC 563, SD38-3.  It was resold as AGCR 2.

2253, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1964, #28898, FN 7696-4, as St Louis South-Western 1065, Class Z12. It was renumbered 2253, Class ES412C-3, in 1966, and later sold to National Railway Equipment Co. It was leased to AGCR as 2253 and later sold to Redland Stone Co as 2253. It kept the same number when Martin Marietta Materials Corp purchased Redland.


Allied Tube & Conduit Co.

8418, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1942, #1603, as Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal 218, Class DS-3. It was reclassified Class DS-3E in 1943 and renumbered 8418, Class SE-1, in 1957. It was reclassified Class SW-1 in 1964 and transferred to Baltimore & Ohio in January 1974. It was sold to Wilson Railway Corp on June 25, 1985, and resold to Evans Milling Co as 8418 on October 1986. It was then resold to AT&CCo as 8418 in 1990.


American Grains Co.

No Number, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in November 1946, #28562, as Albany & Northern 70. It was renumbered 1 at an unknown date. In 1970 it was sold to Roscoe Snyder & Pacific as 1 and then resold in 1971 to AGCo with no number.


American Railcar Coatings, Inc.

2, 25 Ton, was built by General Electric in April 1966, #35668.

3, 25 Ton, was built by General Electric in January 1944, #18198.


Anbel Corp.

198, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1952, #17395, as Atlantic Coast Line 716. It became Seaboard Coast Line 198 in July 1967 and was later sold to Anbel Corp as 198. It then was sold to Redland Stone Co as 198. When Redland was sold to Martin Marietta Materials Corp  it was renumbered 9.


Angelina & Neches River RR

We have a full page on this line.


Angelina County Lumber Co.

This is included in the A&NR page.


Astroworld Line

610-Express Railroad

The park was opened in 1968 and closed in 2005. 

Astro Eagle, a gas engine, was apparently replaced with a Crown built steam locomotive.


Attebury Grain Co.

151, GP7, was built by General Motors in January 1951, #A171, as Algoma Central Ry 151.  It was sold to Keoto-Washington Transportation Co (Kewash RR) 151 in 1982 and sold as Agri Industries 151.  It became Continental Grain Co 151 and then Cargill Inc 151.  It was sold as ATTX 151.

204, GP9.was built by Electro-Motive in March 1957, #22930, as Southern Pacific 5748, Class DF-611.  It was renumbered 3589, Class EF418-7. in 1966 and rebuilt as 2877, Class ES418E-2, in 1977.  It was sold as Yadkin Valley RR 204 and sold as ATTX 204.


Austin & Northwestern RR

We have a full page on this line.


Austin Area Terminal RR

61, MP15DC, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1979, #786236-2, as Houston Belt & Terminal 61. It has been leased to the AATRR as 61.

3002, SD40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1979, #786274-1, as Missouri Pacific 6050.  It became Union Pacific 3950 on May 19, 1988, and retired on December 21, 2001.  It was later leased as AATRR as 3002..

3004, SD40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1973, #73648-3, as Texas & Pacific 818.  It was renumbered 3117 in March 1974 and became MP 3117 in 1976.  It became UP 4117 on October 31, 1989, and renumbered B4117 on July 20, 1992.  It was renumbered 8928 on November 5, 2000, and retired on December 26, 2001.  It was later leased as AATRR as 3004.

001 is apparently a Cotton Belt caboose.


Austin Steam Train Association

Austin & Texas Central RR

We have a full page on this tourist operation.


B&D Mills

No number was built by Whiting Corp.  It was loaned to Grapevine Vintage RR after the mill was closed.


Belton Railroad

2161, 25 Ton, was built by General Electric in March 1944, #27506, as United States Army 7774.  It was sold to Whisler Equipment Co and rebuilt in 1960.  It was sold as BRR 2161 in 1961 and later sold to Riceland Foods Co.

1, 45 Ton, was built by Whitcomb in June 1942, #60163, as United States Navy 65-00378.

504, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1940, #1079, as Terminal RR Association of St Louis 504, Class D.  It was reclassified as Class E.6 and resold on March 11, 1971, as BRR 504.  It shows that it sold as PFL Industries 504 and then Texas Southern 504, but there is little information regarding these entries.

44, SW1200, was built as an S12 by Baldwin in June 1952, #75184, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1212. It was renumbered 44 in 1960 and rebuilt by Electro-Motive on November 28, 1962, #27801, as SW1200 but apparently only the trucks were used. In 1984 it was sold to the BRR as 44.  The line was taken over as Georgetown RR 44 and sold as Cargill/Plantation Foods 44, but it was apparently not repainted or lettered.  It was sold to Watco and sold as Chaparral Steel Co 2285 in 2002. It was sold to National Railway Equipment Co as NREX 2285 in December 2013.

9 was built as Texas & Pacific 1.  It was renumbered 9 and became Missouri Pacific 9.  It was sold BRR and sold to an individual to be restored as T&P 1.


Bering Kiam & Southern RR

2 was built by Lima on October 3, 1907, #2005,  It later was sold as W T Carter & Brother Lumber Co 2 and sent on display for Stephen F Austin State Universidy in May 1970.


Blacklands Railroad

We have a full page on this line.


Bois d'Arc & Southern Ry.

No number, XL, was built by Plymouth.  It was sold as Rockdale Sandow & Southern 5 in 1946 and resold as Dardanelle & Russellville RR 5 in 1949.


Bolton's Crown Quality

118 "Eleanor", GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1952, #17086, FN 5211-1, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1528.  It was renumbered 118 in 1958 and retired on June 6, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry on July 19, 1989, and sold as Seagraves Whiteface & Lubbock RR 118 in April 1990.  It was sold as West Texas & Lubbock RR 118 "City of Levelland" in January 1996.  It was sold to National Ry Equipment Co as NREX 118 in 2005 and sold as BCQ 118 "Eleanor" in 2007.


Border Pacific RR

96, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #11122, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1506.  It was renumbered 96 in 1958 and retired on April 24, 1989.  It was sold as BPRR 96 in December 1989 and sold to Specialty Locomotive Co on August 16, 2008.

98, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1953, #17022, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 2790A, Class 2650. It was rebuilt at Cleburne in August 1978 as 2258,  Class 2050. It became Burlington Northern Santa Fe 1647, Class GP9, in December 1999.  It was sold as BPRR 98.

310, RS11, was built by Alco in March, 1956, #81467, as Norfolk & Western 310.  It was sold to XTRA, Inc as 310 and leased to North Central Texas RR as 310.  It later went to the BPRR as 310 in March, 1984.


John Brigham

"Big John" was built by Pullman-Standard in March 1949, #6792, as Pennsylvania RR 8422 "George Brooke Roberts".  It was purchased by John Brigham and repainted and re lettered it as Big John.  When he passed away it was sold to John L Radovich and renumbered as 8422.


Brownsville & Rio Grande International Ry.

We have a full page on this switching railroad.


Burlington-Rock Island RR

We have a full page on this regional railroad.


Roy Butler

"Pequaket".  This is a former Texas & Pacific cattlemen car and now seems to be at a bed and breakfast.


Campbell Construction Co.

No number, 25 Ton, was built by Davenport.


Cargill Co.

This is a national food company.


W. T. Carter & Brother Lumber Co.

This was combined with the Moscow Camden & San Augustine.


Carter-Kelley Lumber Co.

1 was built by Baldwin in November 1906, #29588, as Lufkin Land & Lumber Co 1.  It became Shreveport Houston & Gulf RR 1 and transferred as Carter-Kelley Lumber Co 1 in 1913 It was sold as W T Carter & Brother Lumber Co 1 in 1936 and donated to Grigsby Foundation in 1970,  It was leased as Scott & Bearskin RR 1 and later sold to Eureka Springs & North Arkansas as 1 in 1981.

2 was built by Baldwin in January 1907. #29900, as LLLCo 2.  It became SH&GRR 2 and transferred as C-KLCo 2 in 1913 It was sold as Carter 1 in 1936 and donated to Grigsby Foundation in 1970,  It was leased as S&BRR 2 and it was sold as Reader RR 2 in May 1978.  It does a few movie jobs..

3 was built by Baldwin in July 1908, #32846, as SH&GRR 3.  It became C-KLCo 3 in 1913 and sold as Carter 3 in 1936.  It was sent to the Texas Forestry Museum at Lufkin, TX,, in 1970.


Cattle Town Inc.

No number, 80DE7b. was built by Whitcomb in May 1944, #60514, as United States Navy 65-00118.  It was sold to Peavey Grain and resold as CT no number.


Cemex SAE de CV

There is a full page on this international company.


Cen-Tex Rail Link

Cen-Tex Rail Link bought 134 miles of the former Fort Worth and Rio Grande line between Fort Worth and Ricker, near Brownwood, on May 20, 1994. The Cen-Tex Rail Link also acquired the eighteen miles between Cresson and Cleburne.  It was taken over by South Orient RR in 1996.

4282, GP7,  was built by Electro-Motive in July 1952, #16866, as Chicago & North Western 1597. It was rebuilt at Oelwein on July 2, 1981, as 4282 and sold to OmniTrax in 1994.  It was leased as CTEX  4282 and returned to OmniTrax in 1996.

4459, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1951, #13330, as St Louis-San Francisco 597.  It was sold to Precision National and operated as PNC 597. It was sold in March 1980 as C&NW 4459 on April 24, 1980, and sold to OmniTrax in 1994.  It was leased as CTEX  4459 and returned to OmniTrax in 1996.  It was rebuilt as Hudson Bay RR 2501 and transferred as Central Kansas Ry 2507/  It was again transferred as HRBy 2507 in 2001.

4463, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1950, #12921, as SL-SF 537.  It was sold to PNC and operated as PNC 537.  It was sold in March 1980 as C&NW 4463 on April 1915, 1980, and sold to OminTrax in 1994.  It was leased as CTEX 4463 and returned to OmniTrax in 1996.


Chaparral Steel Co.

This company has a special page.


Chemplex Advanced Materials LLC

5227, SW7, Class SE-12, was built in January 1950, #10286, FN 6076-14, as Chesapeake & Ohio 5227, Class SE-12.  It was reclassified as Class SW-7 in 1964 and sold to Chrome Crankshaft.  It was sold as Chemplex Advanced Materials LLC 11 in April 1981 and resold as Georgia Eastern RR 87in 1987.  It was resold as Chevron Chemicals Co 087.


Cherokee & Southwestern

There is a special page on this abandoned tourist operation.


Cisco & Northeastern Ry

The Cisco and Northeastern Railway Company was chartered on December 4, 1918, to build seventy miles from Cisco in Eastland County to Graham in Young County. The capital was $500,000, and the business office was located at Cisco. Members of the first board of directors included Robert Q. Lee, William Reagan, E. B. Gude, D. K. Scott, G. D. Ward, A. J. Ward, C. H. Fee, J. J. Butts, J. R. Skinner, and J. W. Mancill, all from Eastland County. The road completed twenty-eight miles from Cisco to Breckenridge between August 1919 and October 1920, during the height of the Ranger oil boom. It paid 7.15 percent on capital stock, but all surplus was reinvested in the property. The Texas and Pacific bought a controlling interest in the road at the book value of $160 per share in January 1927. However, the Cisco and Northeastern continued to operate as a separate company and completed an additional thirty-seven miles from Breckenridge to Throckmorton in April 1928. The road ceased operations in 1942.

S. G. Reed in Handbook of Texas Online

31 was built by Baldwin 1920.  It later sold to Arkansas & Louisiana Missouri as 31 and later scrapped.

51.


City of Frisco

19, Class SC-4, was built by Alco-Pittburgh in 1910, #56942, as Lake Superior & Ishpeming 12.    It was renumbered 19, Class SD-4, in August 1923.  It was sold to Marquette & Huron Mountain RR as 19, Class SC-4, in July 1963 and was then sold to Ishpeming Steel Co in January 1985.  It was sold to Grand Canyon Ry as 19 in 1985 and displayed at MGM Grand Hotel.  It was sold as Frisco 19 to City of Frisco in 2004.


Coastal Marine Corp.

CMC RR

101, MP15D, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1956, #21362, FN 5436-44, as Southern Pacific 5669, Class DF-607.  It was renumbered 3502, Class EF418-6, in 1966 and rebuilt as 3434, Class EF418E-2, in December 1976.  It was sold as Louisiana & Delta RR 1751 "Evangeline" in 1987 and transferred  as Willamette & Pacific RR 1802.   It was wrecked in 1995 and was sold to Motive Power International in 1996 and rebuilt as MPEX 1502, a MP15D.  It was sold as CMC 101.

103, MP2000D, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1965, #30180, as Southern Pacific 7771, Class DF-626, GP35.  It was renumbered 6668, Class EF425-4, in 1966 and rebuilt as MPI 2001, a MP2000D, in September 1995.  It was sold as CMCRR 103 in August 1997.

104, MP2000D, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1977, #766069-12, as Consolidated Railroad Corp 3291, Class GP40-2.  It was wrecked at Salem, OH, and sold to MPI.  It was rebuilt as CMC 104, a MP2000D, in December 1998


Coe Rail

There is a special page on this railroad.


Colorado River Western RR

201, SW900, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1954, #19701. 


Continental Grain Co.

This is a national company.


Corpus Christi Terminal RR

This is a Genesee & Wyoming line.


Crystal City RR

4159, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1953, #17929, as KCS 159,  It was renumbered 4159 in January 1973 and sold as CYCY 4159.  It was later resold as Rio Valley Switch Co 4159.


Dallas Garland & NorthEastern

There is a special page on this railroad.


Dallas Terminal Ry. & Union Depot Co.

The Dallas Terminal Railway and Union Depot Company was chartered on December 10, 1894, to build north from Dallas for twenty miles to a connection with the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company of Texas between Plano and Fort Worth. The capital was $500,000, and the business office was in Dallas. Members of the first board of directors included Alexander Sanger, Royal A. Ferris,qqv W. C. Connor, J. C. O'Connor, E. M. Reardon, Barnett Gibbs, and J. E. Schneider, all of Dallas. Earlier businessmen of Dallas had offered the Cotton Belt, then operating as the Texas and St. Louis, cash, land, and right-of-way to extend its line from Mount Pleasant to Dallas by April 1, 1884. The Cotton Belt could not meet this deadline and, in fact, bypassed Dallas and built to Fort Worth. The Dallas Terminal Railway charter authorized it to build a belt line around Dallas and a connecting road to the Cotton Belt track in Fort Worth. For several years the company retained its charter but laid no track. Finally, between 1893 and 1896 it laid four miles of industrial track in Dallas. In 1899 the name of the company was changed to Dallas, Fort Worth and Gulf Railway Company, and the plan to build a line to Fort Worth was revived. Two miles of additional track was laid. In 1901 the company was purchased by the St. Louis Southwestern Railway to provide terminal facilities at Dallas for its Texas subsidiary. The charter was again amended when the company's original name was restored. A passenger depot was built in 1903, and track was laid connecting with all Dallas railroads. In 1916, when Union Depot opened, the Dallas Terminal passenger depot was closed. In 1953 the Interstate Commerce Commission authorized the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company to lease and operate the company's properties, and Dallas Terminal Railway and Union Depot Company became a nonoperating lessor. In 1994 it was merged into the St. Louis Southwestern.

Cecil Harper, Jr. In Handbook of Texas Online

7 was built by Baldwin in 1923. It was the last steam in Dallas and is now at the Age of Steam Museum.

8, SW900m, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1937, #639, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 2151, Class 2150, an SC. It was rebuilt as SW900m by Electro-Motive in May 1957, #23197, and was renumbered 651, Class 650. It went to DUT as 8 on May 17, 1961, replacing 7. It was sold to Pan American Engineering in August 1968 and sold to Swift & Co as 8.

Union Station.

Tower 19 was southeast of the depot and controlled the crossing of the T&P mainline with the Santa Fe line from Dallas to Cleburne. The former Santa Fe trackage is now DART light rail to Oak Cliff. The tower was removed to The Age of Steam exhibit at Fair Park.


Denton County Transportation Authority

The new commuter line has a full page.


Diesel Electric Service Co.

This short lived locomotive rebuilder was located in Mesquite.

711, 80 Ton, was built by General Electric in April 1943, #17894, as United States Army 7279. It was sold to Cargill Co at Channelview, TX and sold as DESX 711 in 1981.


Louis Dreyfus Co.

This is a world wide company.


Dublin & Rio Grande Ry.

This is a model railroad line.


Entertainment Trains, Inc.

100, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1952, #16560, as Southern Pacific 6379, Class DF-8. In 1966 it was reclassified EF415-8. It was traded in to General Electric in 1968, and was sold to Louisiana & North West as 44 in October 1968. In May 1990 it became ETI 100. It was at the Galveston Railroad Museum as Texas Limited 100 and scrapped on June 1, 2011.

102, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1952, #16596, as Bessemer & Lake Erie 724-A, Class W-4A2.  It was transferred as United States Steel Corp 724-A and sold as ETI 102.  It was sold as Washington Central RR 102 in 1993 and became Washington Dinner Train 102 in 1996.  It was sold as Carrizo Gorge RR 102 in 2001.

200, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1950, #10614, FN 3039-A14, as SP 6309, Class DF-6. It was reclassified Class EF415-6 in 1966 and traded it to General Electric in 1969.  It was sold to Wellesville Addison & Galeton where it was never used. It was sold to L&NW as 47 in 1971. It went to ETI as 200 in May 1990 and was at the Galveston Railroad Museum as TI 200.  It was scrapped on June 1, 2011.


Ethyl Corp.

1218, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive on June 8, 1948, #5563, as Louisiana & Arkansas 1218.  It was sold as EBBX 1218 and resold as U S Steel Corp 32.


Floydada & Plainview RR  

91, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #11117, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1501.  It was renumbered 91 in 1958 and retired on June 7, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry on July 19, 1989, and sold as F&PRR 91.  It was transferred as Seagraves Whiteface & Lubbock RR 91 in 1990 and sold as West Texas & Lubbock RR 91 in 1995.


Forest Park RR

This little railroad runs through the Forest Park of Fort Worth.

101 is a gas powered pseudo-steam locomotive.


Fort Worth & Western RR

There is a special page on this railroad.


Fort Worth Belt RR

The Fort Worth Belt Railway was a terminal line with 3.2 miles of mainline track and 15.27 miles of yard track and sidings. It was incorporated as the Fort Worth Stockyards and Belt Railway Company on November 26, 1895, and the name was changed to Fort Worth Belt on January 22, 1903. The business office was located at Fort Worth. Members of the first board of directors included George B. Robbins, J. B. Googins, O. W. Matthews, W. B. King, W. B. Robbins, W. O. Johnson, and H. C. Gardner.

The company laid thirteen miles of track in Fort Worth in 1904-05 and two miles in 1913. Although it was originally intended as a belt railway, the railroad operated as a switching line for the Fort Worth railroads and a plant facility for industries. It served several large meat, provision, grain, and produce companies in north Fort Worth, but its primary customers were the Fort Worth Stockyardsqv Company and the Armour and Swift packing companies. In 1931, in compliance with a United States Supreme Court ruling that required all packing concerns to dispose of their interest in terminal railroads and stockyards, the Fort Worth Stockyards Company made arrangements to sell the railway. On May 31, 1931, an agreement was signed, subject to the approval of the Interstate Commerce Commission, by which the road was acquired by the Republic National Company, which then contracted to sell 60 percent interest, valued at $900,000, to the Texas and Pacific Railway Company. Application for approval was filed on August 19, 1931, but the application was denied in March 1932, when the commission ruled that the price was too high. Sale was authorized, however, at $700,000. The Fort Worth Belt was merged into the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company on November 1, 1978.

Harold D. Conner in The Handbook of Texas Online

1, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive on January 10, 1939, #803. It was renumbered 6018 in 1962 and became MP 6018 in 1976. I don't have the disposition. When I caught it, it was working the Weatherford Mineral Wells & North Western line.

2, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive on October 31, 1946, #3962. It was renumbered 1020 in 1962 and became MP 1020 in 1976. I don't have the disposition. When I caught it, it was working the original FtWB trackage.


Fort Worth Railway Services

1277, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1953, #18109, as Chicago & North Western 1277. It was retired on January 13, 1978, and sold to Wilson-Cramer on February 21, 1978. They sold it to FWRS as 1277. It later became Trinity Industries Y1252.


Fort Worth Sand & Gravel Co.

7 was built by Baldwin in 1899, #16341, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 953. It was renumbered 690, Class 664, in 1900 and sold to FWS&G as 7 on May 3, 1937.

10, 44 Ton, was built by Whitcomb in 1941, #60107. as United States Army 7510.  It became FWS&G 10.


Fredericksburg & Northern Ry

The San Antonio, Fredericksburg and Northern Railway Company was chartered on January 3, 1913, to connect Fredericksburg with the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway Company near Waring, a distance of about twenty-five miles. The capital stock was $30,000, and the principal place of business was Fredericksburg. Members of the first board of directors were R. A. Love of Kansas City, and Foster Crane, M. H. Trice, R. L. Cunningham, J. H. Haile, F. F. Ludolph, and George D. Campbell, all of San Antonio. Prior to October 1912 citizens of Gillespie County organized a committee that secured subscriptions for $200,000 in cash donations plus right-of-way donations and contracted with Love to transfer the donations to him, provided that he build a railroad to Fredericksburg. Love contracted the actual building of the railroad to Crane, which completed the 23-mile line between Fredericksburg Junction and Fredericksburg on November 1, 1913. The contractor received the $200,000 in cash donations, but was unable to collect $13,000 of the amount. In addition, Love had to give his note for $134,070, as the funds available were insufficient to construct the line, which included a 920-foot tunnel. This was one of six railroad tunnels eventually constructed in Texas, but the only one in use at that time. In 1916 the company owned two locomotives and one car and reported passenger earnings of $10,000 and freight earnings of $36,000. However, the road was not profitable, and the SAF&N was unable to meet its operating expenses and payments on the note it assumed from Love. The company was operated by a receiver from October 28, 1914, until it was sold under foreclosure on December 31, 1917, to Martin Carle who deeded the property to the Fredericksburg and Northern Railway Company.

Nancy Beck Young

The Fredericksburg and Northern Railway Company was chartered on December 26, 1917. It connected Fredericksburg with Fredericksburg Junction, twenty-four miles to the south on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway in Kendall County. The capital was $25,000, and the principal place of business was Fredericksburg. Members of the first board of directors were James M. Dobieqv of Cotulla; C. B. Lucas of Berclair; and Richard R. Russell,qv Thomas E. Mathis, W. W. Collier, J. H. Haile, and J. L. Browne, all of San Antonio. The Fredericksburg and Northern acquired the twenty-four miles of the San Antonio, Fredericksburg and Northern Railway Company, which was sold under foreclosure on December 31, 1917. Under the ownership of Mrs. R. F. Spenser the new railroad faired better than the old. In 1919 it grossed $15,353 and showed a profit of $3,003. In 1925 it showed a profit of $5,970. In 1926 it reported passenger earnings of $4,000 and freight earnings of $56,000 and owned two locomotives and one car; it was listed as a Class III railroad. Over the next several years revenue increased at a healthy rate, and operating expenses were kept at acceptable levels. But the railroad was still unable to service the debt incurred to purchase the railroad. The projected Gulf and West Texas Railway was to have included the Fredericksburg and Northern as part of its route, but the failure of this project left the company on its own. Train service ended July 27, 1942.

Victoria S. Murphy in Handbook of Texas Online

North of the Teutonic settlement of Fredericksburg is this marker along the highway, and the tunnel itself.

The marker reads "TUNNEL OF THE FREDERICKSBURGH & NORTHERN RAILWAY In 1913 area residents raised money to build a railroad linking Fredericksburg to San Antonio. The 920 Foot tunnel beneath this hillk increased the cost by $134,000 and required five months of hard labor. It opened a faster trade route for area merchants and farmers. Each time passenger trains entered the tunnel, small rocks, loosened by engine exhaust, were removed from the track and windows closed to keep out coal smoke. The railroad operated until 1942 when the trackage was sold for scrap."


GAF Corporation

1222, SW1200, was probably built by Electro-Motive in April 1963, #27880, as Missouri Pacific 1222.


Galveston Houston & Henderson RR

85 was built by Baldwin in March 1904, #23927.  It was retired in 1933.


Galveston Wharves RR

Galveston RR

This became a Genesee & Wyoming line.


Georgetown Railroad

There is a special page on this railroad.


Goodpasture Grain Co.

513, H12-44, was built by Fairbanks Morse in December 1951, #12L444, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 513, Class 503.  It was retired on June 1, 1972, and sold to Diesel Supply Co on May 4, 1973.  It was sold as GGCo 513.

83 600, S4, was built by Alco in May 1953, #80464, as Northern Pacific 719.  It became Burlington Northern 919, Class ASW-10, in 1970, and retired in May 1973.  It was sold as Agrico Chemical Co 1 and resold as GGCo 83 600.  It was sold as Agri Industries 83 600 and sold as Intercontinental Terminal 83 600.  It was sold as Woodhouse Terminal 83 600.

83 604, RS3, was built by Alco in October 1955, 381686, as Federal Barge Line RR 61.  It was sold as Birmingham Southern RR 154 and renumbered 254.  It was sold as GGCl 83 604.  It was sold as AGRI 83 604 and sold as IT 83 604.  It was sold as WT 83 604.


Grapevine Vintage RR

There is a special page on this railroad.


Great Southwest RR

There is a special page on this railroads.


Grogan-Cochran Lumber Co.

16.


Gulf Colorado & San Saba Ry

Sweetwater Central RR

The GC&SS acquired 67.5 miles of the Santa Fe between Lometa and Brady on May 10, 1993. It also operates using the SC name.

203, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1956, #22073, as Denver & Rio Grande Western 5942, Class DE B-B 61. It was retired on October 3, 1991, and sold to NRE in October 1991. It was leased to South Orient as 203 in February 1992 and sold to SCRR 203 but was never relettered.  It was scrapped on June 5, 2012.

204, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1956, #22072, as D&RGW 5941, Class DE B-B 61. It was retired on October 3, 1991, and sold to NRE in October 1991, It was leasted to SO as 204 in February 1992 and sold SCRR 204 but was never relettered. It was scrapped on June 1, 2012.

4308 was built in October 1957, #22982, FN 7540-1, as Minneapolis & St Louis 607.  It became Chicago & North Western 607 and was rebuilt at Oelwein in September 1972 as 4308.  It was retired on September 4, 1990, and was sold as GC&SS 4308.  It was scrapped on June 5, 2012.

9525, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1969, #35169, as Gulf Mobile & Ohio 706. It became Illinois Central Gulf 9525 in 1962 and sold to Neosho Rail Service as 9525 in 1994. They sold it to GC&SS as 9525.


Halliburton Co.

1 was built by Pullman-Standard Co in 1925, #4922, as Pullman Co "Glen Navis",  It was rebuilt as HWCR 1 and later donated to Age of Steam Museum as Pullman :Glen Navis".

193 was built in November 1968.


Heidelberg Cement Group

Lehigh Hanson

Hanson Aggregates, Inc.

Gifford-Hill Company

There is a special page on these gravel and cement operations.


Hardeman County Grain Co.

110, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1951, #14988, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1520.  It was renumbered 110 in 1958 and retired on May 25, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry Corp on July 19, 1989, and sold as Hartford & Slocomb RR 110.  It was sold to LRS Companies as LRSX 110 in 2006 and became HC 110 in 2008.

1822, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1951, #13899, as Atlantic Coast Line 154.  It became Seaboard Coast Line 742 in July 1967 and rebuilt at Uceta in December 1981 as 4776.  It became Seaboard System RR 4776 and renumbered 1822.  It became CSX Transportation 1822, Class GP-16, and retired on February 19, 1993.  It was sold as Gauley River RR 1822 in 1995 and sold to HC in 2006.  It was lettered as AARX 1822 and repainted as HG 1822 in 2008


Hondo Ry.

1978, GP50, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1981, #807058-4, as Missouri Pacific 3529.  It became Union Pacific 989 on December 3, 1991, and renumbered 5587 on August 13, 1999,  It was renumbered 1687 on December 30, 2003, and retired on June 11, 2008.  It was sold as HRY 1978. 


Houston Belt & Terminal Ry.

We have a page on this fallen flag switching road.


Humble Oil Co.

998, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in June 1954, #32201. It later was sold to Agrico Industries as 6.


Intercontinental Terminal

83 600, S4, was built by Alco in May 1953, #80464, as Northern Pacific 719.  It became Burlington Northern 919, Class ASW-10, in 1970, and retired in May 1973.  It was sold as Agrico Chemical Co 1 and resold as Goodpasture Grain Co 83 600.  It was sold as Agri Industries 83 600 and sold as IT 83 600.  It was sold as Woodhouse Terminal 83 600.

83 604, RS3, was built by Alco in October 1955, 381686, as Federal Barge Line RR 61.  It was sold as Birmingham Southern RR 154 and renumbered 254.  It was sold as GGCl 83 604.  It was sold as AGRI 83 604 and sold as IT 83 604.  It was sold as WT 83 604.


James Stone Co.

1 was built by Alco-Cooke in 1924, #65477, for stock.  It was sold as JSCo 1 in April 1929 and resold as Western Indiana Aggregate Co 1 in 1930.  It was sold as Society for the Perpetuation of Unretired Railfans 1 in October 1966 and became Monticello & Sangamon Valley Ry in April 1969.


Jefferson & Cypress Bayou Ry.

The J&CB is a live steam, narrow gauge railway.  The route skirts the Big Cypress Bayou for a five mile, half hour round trip.  Along the way, passengers view the only remaining civil war era Confederate powder magazine, the first artificial gas plant in the state, as well as many other historic sites.  Narration is provided for your enjoyment.

The locomotive and train were built in 1962 for the Six Gun Territory amusement park in Ocala, Fl and moved to Jefferson in 1985.  It's propane fired, consuming about 55 gallons of liquid fuel per day and drinking 100 gallons of water per trip.

7 "Robert E Lee" was built by Crown in 1962, #22735, as Six Gun RR 7.


Jefferson & Northwestern RR

The Jefferson and Northwestern Railway Company was chartered on November 5, 1899, to connect Jefferson, Marion County, with a point on the Moses D. Frazier survey to the northwest, four miles southwest of Linden in Cass County, for a distance of twenty miles. The capital stock was $20,000. The principal place of business was Jefferson. The members of the first board of directors were J. R. Darwell, F. J. Clark, L. E. Prussell, M. D. Grigsby, and E. Parker, all of Jefferson; and H. W. Adams and Joseph M. Dickeon, both of Dallas.

In 1912 the railroad built thirty-six miles of track between Jefferson and Camp and between Givens and Linden. In 1916 the line reported passenger earnings of $5,000 and freight earnings of $42,000; that year the railroad owned two locomotives and ten cars. In 1917 it completed four miles of track between Camp and Marietta. In 1926 it built nine miles between Marietta and Naples, owned four locomotives and fifty cars, was listed as a Class II railroad, and reported passenger earnings of $6,000 and freight earnings of $116,000. In 1931 the railroad owned four locomotives and seven cars, was listed as a Class III Railroad, and reported passenger earnings of $270 and freight earnings of $36,000. The twenty-nine miles between Linden Junction and Naples was abandoned in 1933, and in August 1934 the line was sold under foreclosure. A new company, the Jefferson and Northwestern Railroad Company, chartered October 31, 1934, acquired the line effective January 1, 1935. Operations of the company were discontinued on September 9, 1941, and the line was abandoned the following year.

Nancy Beck Young in Handbook of Texas Online

107 was built by Baldwin in 1912.

Unknown number, HLB2 25 Ton, Class S, was built by Plymouth in 1932, #3676, for Cleveland Southwestern Ry.  It was sold to J&NW and acquired by B Callahan Construction Co in 1941.  It was sold as Texas & New Orleans 2, Class S, in 1942 and transferred as Pacific Electric Ry 1646.  It was sold as Berg Metals Co 102.


Kirby Lumber Co.

1000, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1953, #18298. It was sold to East Camden & Highland RR as 63 in 1983 and later transferred to Ouachita Ry as 63 in November 1990. It was transferred as Camden & Southern RR 20 in 2011.


Kurth Lumber Co.

20 was built by Baldwin in 1920, #43344, as Sierra RR 20. It was later sold to the U S Army as 6814 and later to KLCo as 20.  The mill burned in 1959.


Lattimore Materials Co.

This engine was put in service June 13, 2001 at this new transfer facility. DGNO brings in 45 cars of rock from Stringtown, OK on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The locomotive pushes the cars through a dumper and a conveyor dumps the gravel on the ground. Then the gravel is picked up by a front end loader and hauled off in trucks to three batch plants in Dallas area.

1961, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1971, #7367-2, as St. Louis South-Western 2584, Class ES415C-4.  It was sold as Texas Gonzales & Northern 2584 and sold as Rail Switching Service 2584.  It was sold to LMCo as 1961 in 2001.

2001, GP9u, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1957, #23467, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 732, Class 700.  It was renumbered 2932, Class 2900, in 1970 and rebuilt at Cleburne as 2275, Class 2244, in June 1979.  On September 28, 1998, it became Burlington Northern Santa Fe 1663, Class GP-9, and later sold to David J Joseph Co.  They sold it as LMCo 2001. 


Lonestar Locomotive Repair LLC

Lone Star Locomotive Leasing Co.

1708, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1954, #19765, as Florida East Coast 654.  It was sold as David J Joseph Co 1708 and sold as Lonestar Locomotive Repair LLC 1707 on March 8, 2005.

1710, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1954, #20007, as FEC 666.  It was sold as Joseph 1710 and sold as LSLX 1710 on March 8, 2005.

1711, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1957, #23130, as FEC 668.  It was sold as Joseph 1711 and sold as LSLX 1711 on March 8, 2005.

1712, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1957, #23134, as FEC 672.  It was sold as Joseph 1712 and sold as LSLX 1712 on March 8, 2005.

2002, GP38AC, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1971, #37638, FN 7305-20, as Louisville & Nashville 4049, Class GP-38.  It became Seaboard System 4049 and was renumbered 6270.  It became CSX Transportation 2179, Class GP-38, and sold to David J Joseph Co as JTPX 2002.  It was sold to LSLX 2002 on March 8, 2005. It was sold to Larry's Truck Equipment and numbered 3810.  It was sold as Columbia & Cowlitz Ry 3810 in May 2012.

2214, NW2u, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1939, #944, as Great Northern 5317. It was renumbered 117 in 1943 and became Burlington Northern 464, Class NW-2, in 1970. It was rebuilt in February 1975 as 14, Class NW-12, and retired on July 14, 1992.  It was sold as Rail Switching Service 168 and sold as Orange Port Terminal Ry 14.  It was renumbered 2214 and sold as LSLL 2214 in 2010.


Lone Star Steel Co.

We have a full page on this operation.


Longhorn RR

After the Austin & North Western ended their operation over the former SP line from Giddings to Llano thru Austin, the Longhorn RR set up shop using leased equipment. This lasted until early 2000 when they were forced out.

2006, GP38-3, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1965, #30023, as Denver & Rio Grande Western 3050, Class DE B-B 62.  It was retired in December 1993 and sold to OmniTrax in January 1995.  It was assigned as Kansas Southwestern RR 3050 in 1996 and rebuilt as GP38-3 as Longhorn 2006 in April 1997 and assigned as Northern Plains Ry 3005 in 1998.  It was leased as Fort Worth & Western 2001 "Niles City" in 2000.

2007, GP38-3, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1964, #29368, as DRG&W 3035, Class DE B-B 62, GP35.  It was retired in December 1993 and sold to OmniTrax in January 1995.  It was rebuilt as GP38-3 as Longhorn 2007 in 1996 and later leased as FWWR 2002 "Cowtown".

2008, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1965, #30253, as Southern Pacific 1621, Class DS-124.  It was renumbered 2286, Class ES412-5, in 1965, and sold to Longhorn 2008.  It was sold to OmniTrax as 2008.

4472, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1951, #14668, as Chicago St Paul Minneapolis & Omaha 152. It became Chicago & North Western 152 and was rebuilt at Oelwein in November 1979 as C&NW 4472. It was retired in 1992 and sold to Kramer Diesel Supply Co, who sold it to Econo-Rail. It was leased to Longhorn in 1997.

4518, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1957, #22866, as Grand Trunk Western 4918, Class GRG-17k. It was rebuilt in 1971 as Class GR-17k and later renumbered 4518. It was then sold to Econo-Rail as 4518 and leased to Longhorn.

7601, TE53-1-4E, was built by General Electric in September 1962, #34537, as Union Pacific 639, a U25B. In July 1974 it was sold to Morrison Knudsen as 7. They rebuilt it in May 1976 and sold it to the Oregon California & Eastern as 7601. It was retired in 1990 and sold to EconoRail in 1992.  It was leased to Longhorn in 1997.

7603, TE53-1-4E, was built by General Electric in September 1962, #34538, as UP 640, a U25B. They sold it to Morrison Knudsen as 10 in June 1974. MK rebuilt it in July 1976 as OC&E 7603. It was retired in 1990 and sold to EconoRail in 1992.  It was leased to Longhorn in 1997 and sent to Port of Beaumont.

7606, S3-3B, was built by General Electric in May 1962, #39238, as UP 629, a U25B.  They sold it to Morrison-Knudsen as 4 in June 1974.  MK rebuilt it in June 1976 as OC&E 7606 in June 1976.  It was retired in 1990 and sold to EconoRail in 1992.  It was leased to Longhorn in 1997.

9275, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1972, #72671-1, as Indianapolis Union RR 30.  It became Consolidated Railroad Corp 9608, Class SW-1500, in April 1976 and sold as Juniata Terminal RR 9175.  It was leased as Longhorn 9275 and returned  as JT 9175.


Lufkin Land & Lumber Co.

1 was built by Baldwin in November 1906, #29588.  It became Shreveport Houston & Gulf RR 1 and transferred as Carter-Kelley Lumber Co 1 in 1913 It was sold as W T Carter & Brother Lumber Co 1 in 1936 and donated to Grigsby Foundation in 1970,  It was leased as Scott & Bearskin RR 1 and later sold to Eureka Springs & North Arkansas as 1 in 1981.

2 was built by Baldwin in January 1907. #29900.  It became SH&GRR 2 and transferred as C-KLCo 2 in 1913 It was sold as Carter 1 in 1936 and donated to Grigsby Foundation in 1970,  It was leased as S&BRR 2 and it was sold as Reader RR 2 in May 1978.  It does a few movie jobs..


Lyondell Corp.

99, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1963, #27881, as Missouri Pacific 1113.  It was sold as Lyondell 99 and resold as David J Joseph Co 99.  It was sold as Chaparral Steel Co L409-3.


Martin Marietta Materials Co.

This a national operation.


Meridian Aggregates Co.

This company operates a gravel transfer operation in north west Dallas.

123, SW7, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1950, #8501, as Chicago Burlington & Quincy 9257.  It became Burlington Northern 123, Class SW-7, in 1970 and retired in October 1985.  It was then sold as Tulsa-Sapulpa Union RR 105 and then to MACo 123.  It was scrapped in May 2006.


Metal Processing, Inc.

Border Steel Mills

100, H12-44, was built by Fairbanks Morse in March 1957, #12L1065, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 560, Class 503.  It was retired on January 10, 1974, and and became MTI 100. It was sent to Orange Empire Railway Museum in June 1990.

2543, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1969, #35236, FN 4561-21, as Southern Pacific 2543, Class ES415-3.  It was sold as Border Steel Mills 2543 and sold to National Railway Equipment Co as NREX 2543.


MidWest Storage Co.

6, 80 Ton, was built by General Electric for United States Army.  It was sold to a dealer and numbered 765.  It was sold to American Potash Co and renumbered E-716.  It was resold as MWSCo 6 and became Cargill Co 6.


Mineral Wells & Eastern

We have a special page on this short-lived operation.


Moscow Camden & San Augustine RR

We have a special page on this East Texas short line.


Nipak, Inc.

102, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in July 1947, #29086, as Frankfort & Cincinnati 102.  It was sold to George R Silcott Co in March 1972 and sold as Nipak Inc, no number, in April 1987.  It was sold to Lone Star Cement Co in 1987.


North Central Texas RR

We have a special page on this Metroplex short line.


Orange Port Terminal Ry.

2214, NW2u, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1939, #944, as Great Northern 5317. It was renumbered 117 in 1943 and became Burlington Northern 464, Class NW-2, in 1970. It was rebuilt in February 1975 as 14, Class NW-12, and retired on July 14, 1992.  It was sold as Rail Switching Service 168 and sold as OPT 14.  It was renumbered 2214 and sold as Lone Star Locomotive Leasing Co 2214 in 2010.


Panhandle Mfg. Co.

Critter in Wichita Falls.


Panhandle Northern RR

This is an OmniTRAX line.


Paris & Mount Pleasant Ry.

316 was built by Cooke in 1901, #26142, as Texas & Pacific 316. It later was sold to the P&MP as 316. The T&P bought it back from the P&MP and installed it in Abilene, TX, as T&P 75. In May 1974, it was donated to the Texas State RR and was restored at TSR 201.


Parker Brothers Co.

1007, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1939, #978, as Southern Pacific 1007. Class D-4.  It was reclassified in 1966 as Class ES406-2 and resold in May 1967 as PBCo 1007.  It was later resold as Western RR 1007.


Pecos Valley Southern Ry.

The Pecos Valley Southern Railway Company was chartered on May 28, 1909, to build from Pecos south to Toyahvale, about forty-five miles. The initial capital was $45,000, and the business office was in Pecos. Members of the first board of directors included J. G. Love, F. W. Johnson,qv M. L. Swinehart, J. F. McKenzie, W. D. Cowan, and William P. Brady, all of Pecos; E. D. Balcom of Balmorhea; C. W. Griffin of Toyahvale; and H. Roffins of Saragosa. The line was constructed under contract by W. L. Carvile, who was also president and general manager of the PVS. Construction began at Pecos and was completed to Toyahvale in April 1911. By 1916 the company owned three locomotives, seven freight cars, and two passenger cars. Earnings for 1916 included $7,494 in passenger revenue, $36,445 in freight revenue, and $927 in other revenue. From 1927 to 1946 the PVS was owned by the Texas and Pacific Railway Company, but continued to operate as a separate company. In 1931 the Pecos Valley Southern was designated a Class III railroad by the Railroad Commission.qv Total earnings for that year were $47,048. By 1944 the company apparently rented all of its cars. Earnings for 1944 included $80,140 in freight revenue and $3,569 in other revenue. The eleven miles of track between Saragosa and Toyahvale was abandoned in 1971. In 1990 the PVS owned two locomotives.

Chris Cravens in Handbook of Texas Online.

It took over the line by long-term lease by Watco on September 1, 2012.

5.

7, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in July 1949, #30181.

8, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in December 1952, #31729.

9, SW900m, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1938, #831, as Lehigh Valley 130, a NW1, Class BB-5. It was reclassified Class DS-5 and rebuilt by Electro-Motive in May 1957, #23538. It was later reclassified Class ESM-9 and then became Consolidated Railroad Corp 8657, Class SW-900. It was sold to PVS as 9.

100.

The shop area seems to be virtually abandoned since 9 is the only operable engine.

Virginia's oldest sister was an artist.  They were raised at Pecos and she did a drawing to make greeting cards.  She passed away in 2012 at 99.


Point Comfort & Northern Ry

The PC&N was chartered on April 29, 1948, to build a line from a point near Point Comfort on Lavaca Bay to a connection with the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway near Lolita in Jackson County. The Aluminum Company of America is the major stockholder in the railroad, which serves the Alcoa facility at Point Comfort. The capital was $500,000 and the principal place of business was Port Lavaca. Members of the first board of directors were W. H. Bauer and Carl E. Partlow, both of Port Lavaca; Lon (Leonidas) C. Hillqv of Corpus Christi; David T. Searls and William D. Deakins, both of Houston; James Davies of St. Louis; and R. S. Boston of University City, Missouri. In 1949 the Point Comfort and Northern completed thirteen miles of track between Lolita and Point Comfort. Freight earnings were $448,000 in 1952, when the company owned two engines. By 1990 the railroad's annual revenues were between $5 and $9 million, and the line hauled nonmetal minerals, chemicals, and primary metal products.

Nancy Beck Young in Handbook of Texas Online.

2, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric in November 1948, #29990.  It was transferred as Alcoa Corp in March 1960 and sold as Alton & Southern 629.  It was sold to Cooper Terminal and returned as A&S 1.  It was sold as Cargill Inc 10.

4, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1955, #20703, FN 4318-2, as Rockdale Sandow & Southern 9.  It became PCN 4 and sold as Missouri Pacific 1262 in 1964.  It was sold as United States Navy 65-00637 and sold as Richmond Pacific RR 4449.  It was renumbered 49 in 2012.

7, RS2, was built by Alco in May 1949, #76828, as Union RR 608. It was later sold to PC&N as 7. In 1952 it became RSS 7, but it was returned to the PC&N in 1956. It was donated to the Texas State RR as 7 in May 1975.

10, RS3, was built by Alco in June 1950, #78069, as Lehigh & Hudson River RR 1.  It was sold as PC&N 10 in December 1971 and sold to Precision National Corp.

16, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1969, #35425, as Penn Central 7796, Class EF-20.  It became Consolidated Railroad Corp 7796, Class GP-38, in April 1976 and sold as PC&N 16 in 1986.

1st 3000, GP40, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1965, #30037, FN 7831-1, as New York Central 3001, Class Class DRS-16a.  It became Class EF-30 in 1966.   It became Penn Central 3000, Class EF-30, in 1968, and Consolidated Railroad Corp 3000, Class GP-40, in April 1976.  It was sold to National Railway Equipment Co and leased as PC&N 3000.  It was sold as Southwestern RR 3000 and wrecked on November 30, 2013.

2nd 3000, GP40, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1970, #35920, FN 7229-24, as Seaboard Coast Line 1619.  It became Seaboard System 1619 in January 1983 and renumbered 6773 in 1984.  It became CSX Transportation 6773, Class GP-40, in April 1986 and sold to National Railway Equipment Co.  It was sold as PC&N 3000 and sold to J&L Consulting.  It was sold as New Orleans Public Belt 3003.

3726, GP38-2, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1969, #34849, as Baltimore & Ohio 3726, Class GP-40. It was renumbered 9726 in 1979 and returned as 3726 in April 1981 as 3726, It was later returned to General American Transportation Co as 3726 on May 17, 1984. It was rebuilt by Mid-America Car in January 1986 and leased to PC&N as 3726. It later was sold to Fort Worth & Western as 2007 "B B Paddock" .

3731, GP38AC, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1969, #34854, as B&O 3731, Class GP-40. It was renumbered 9731 in 1979 and returned as 3731 in 1980 as 3726, It was later returned to GATX as 3731 on May 17, 1984. It was rebuilt by Peaker Services in January 1986 and leased to PC&N as 3731.  It later was sold to FWWR as 2006 "General Tarrant".


Port of Corpus Christi

3, 65 Ton was built by General Electric in 1945, #17873, as United States Army 7887.  It was sold as PCC 3.


Premcor Inc.

Clark Refining Co.

9, SW600, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1955, #20665, as Gulf Oil Co 9.  It became Chevron USA 9 and later became Clark 9.  It became Premcor 9 and sold as EconoRail Corp 9.  It was sold as General American Transportation Co 504.


Proctor & Gamble Co.

This was a national company..


Proler International Co.

3, 65Ton, was built by General Electric.

No number, S6, was built by Alco in December 1955, #81427, as Southern Pacific 4640, Class DF-307.  It was reclassified as Class DS-607 in 1963 and renumbered 1276, Class AS409-5, in 1966.  It was sold to PICo  no number.


Quanah Acme & Pacific RR

723 was built by Alco-Brooks in June 1906, as St Louis-San Francisco 723.  It was later transferred as QA&P 723.

546, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1951, #12938.  It became SL-SF 546 and sold to Precision National and operated as PNC 546. It was sold in August 1976 as Chicago & North Western 4359. It was retired on July 15, 1986.  It was traded to Electro-Motive in August 1986 and scrapped by St Louis Auto Shredding Co.

547, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1951, #12939. It became SL-SF 547 and was rebuilt by Morrison-Knudsen as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 4493 on February 12, 1975. It was renumbered 4476 in October 1976 and turned over to Precision Nation in April 1980. It was sold to C&NW in February 1981 and entered service as 4151 on July 14, 1981. It was retired on December 12, 1988, and sold to Fox River Valley RR as 4151 on January 12, 1989. It later became Wisconsin Central Ltd 4151. It was sold to Hilliard Enterprises and scrapped.


Quick-Car Co.

Tank Lining & Railcar Repair

3, 50DE58b, was built by Whitcomb in October 1947, #60746, as Garden City Western 101.  It was sold as Ventura County Ry 3 in May 1962 and resold as Q-C 3.

7, 45Ton, was built by General Electric in June 1942, #15290, for Cornhuscker Ordnance Plant.  It became United States Army 7248 and became United States Navy 65-00531.  It was sold as Q-C 7 and became TLRR 7.  It became Trinity Industries 7


R&L Company

3349, GP9u, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1956, #21336, as Southern Pacific 5643, Class DF-607. It was renumbered 3476, Class EF418-6, in 1966, and rebuilt in May 1972 as 3349, Class EF418E-2. It was sold to R&LCo as 3349 in August 1992 and then to Port of Muskogee as 3349.

3361, GP9u, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1956, #21374, as SP 5681, Class DF-607. It was renumbered 3541, Class EF418-6, in 1966, and rebuilt in July 1972 as 3361, Class EF418E-2. It was sold to R&L as 3361 in August 1992 and then to PofM as 3361.


John L. Radovich

Dallas Terminal Railway

1461 was an express box car from National Railway Passenger Corp 1461.

8422 was built by Pullman-Standard in March 1949, #6792, as Pennsylvania RR 8422 "George Brooke Roberts".  It was purchased by John Brigham and repainted and re lettered it as "Big John".  When he passed away it was sold to John L Radovich and renumbered as 8422.

39918, dorm, was built by Budd in 1965 as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 544.  It became Amtrak 9913 and renumbered 39913.  It was sold as DALT 39913.

39947, coach, was built by Budd in 1965 as AT&SF 707.  It became Amtrak 9947 and renumbered 39947.  It was sold as DALT 39947.

39963, coach, was built by Budd in 1965 as AT&SF 723.  It became Amtrak 9963 and renumbered 39963.  It was sold as DALT 39963.


Redland Stone Co.

133, SW7, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1950, #9181, as Atlantic Coast Line 651. It became Seaboard Coast Line 133 in July 1967 and was later sold to Precision National Corp in August 1983.  It was sold sold to as Inman Service Co 133 and became Redland Stone Co as 133. It kept the same number when Martin Marietta Materials Co purchased Redland.

198, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1952, #17395, as ACL716. It became SCL 198 in July 1967 and was later sold to Anbel Corp as 198. It then was sold to Redland as 198. When Redland was sold to MM it was renumbered 9.

2253, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1964, #28898, FN 7696-4, as St Louis South-Western 1065, Class Z12. It was renumbered 2253, Class ES412C-3, in 1966, and later sold to National Railway Equipment Co. It was leased to Alamo Gulf Coast RR as 2253 and later sold to Redland Stone as 2253. It kept the same number when MM purchased Redland.

2664, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1972, #4608-74, as Southern Pacific 2664, Class ES415L-4.  It was sold as Redland 2664.

4705, S12, was built by Baldwin in September 1953, #75920, as Southern Pacific 1545, Class DS-118. It was renumbered 2152, Class BS412-4, in 1966. It was retired in 1972 and sold to Southwest Construction Materials Co as 4705 in December 1973. It was later sold to Redland Stone and was given its original number when MM purchased Redland. It was scheduled for scrapping in December 2001 but it was scrapped only in 2007.


Rio Grande RR

The line was built in 1872 from Point Isabel to Brownsville,  It was reorganized in 1910 and converted to standard gauge in 1925. 

1 was built by M Baird & Co in January 1872, #2664.  It was donated to the City of Brownsville in 1932.


Rio Valley RR

1705, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1950, #12302, as Clinchfield RR 907.  It was rebuilt at Paducah as 4605 in July 1979.  It became Seaboard System 4605 and later renumbered 1705.  It then became CSX Transportation 1705, Class GP-10, and retired on January 13, 1993.  It was sold to C&F Locomotive Service and then to Excello Locomotive Services.  It was then sold as RVRR 1705 and then became Rio Valley Switching Corp 1705.


Rio Valley Switching Corp.

This is an Ironhorse Resources.


Alan Ritchey Co.

No Number, 25 Ton, was built by General Electric in May 1950, #30591, as A B Cook Co, no number.  It was sold as W J Smith Wood Preserving Co 400 and later resold as ARCo, no number.

147. SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1951, #13963, FN 6182-14, as Atlantic Coast Line 665.  It became Seaboard Coast Line 147 in July 1967 and sold as Brownsville & Rio Grande International Ry 147 in 1984.  It was later resold as ARCo 147.


Rock Creek Lumber Co.

Texas Long Leaf Lumber Co.

Rock Creek Lumber was a new reorganized lumber mill at Trinity, TX.  The company was again reorganized as Texas Long Leaf Lumber.  It was closed in 1940.

14 was built by Baldwin in August 1923, #56917..  It became Texas Long Leaf Lumber Co 14 and sold as W T Carter Lumber Co 14 in 1940.  In 1970 it was offered to Rusk Chamber of Commerce and apparently was sold to City of Houston.  It then was given to the Carter family at Camden.


Rockdale Sandow & Southern Ry

4 was built by Alco-Schenectady in September 1901, #25088, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 444,  It was renumbered 402 and then 931, and finally 1205.  It was then sold as RS&S 4 and then as Dardanelle & Russellville RR 11.  It was scrapped in 1955.

5, XL, was built by Plymouth as Bois d'Arc & Southern Ry with no number known.  It was sold as RS&S 5 in 1946 and resold as D&R 5 in 1949.

7, RS2, was built by Alco in May 1949, #76828, as Union RR 608. It was later sold as Point Comfort & Northern 7. In 1952 it became RSS 7, but it was returned to the PC&N in 1956. It came to the Texas State RR in May 1975.

8, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1955, #20702, FN 4318-1.  It was sold as Missouri Pacific 1261 in 1964 and retired on February 28, 1985.  It was sold to Precision National Corp on April 11, 1985 and sold to Commonwealth Edison in June 1987.  It was rebuilt at Creve Coeur as Midwest Generation SC15 "Sylvia".

 

9, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1955, #20703, FN 4318-2.  It became PCN 4 and sold as MP 1262 in 1964.  It was sold as United States Navy 65-00637 and sold as Richmond Pacific RR 4449.  It was renumbered 49 in 2012.

19, S1, was built by Alco in December 1940, #69385, as Massena Terminal RR 8.  It was sold as RSS 19 and sold as El Dorado & Wesson 19.  It was resold to  Texana Tank Car & Mfg Coas 101.


Rogersnap Business Forms

772 was Missouri-Kansas-Texas 772.


Roscoe Snyder & Pacific RR

We have a full page on this West Texas short line.


Sabine River & Northern RR

102, RS1, was built in December 1946, #75215, as Duluth South Shore & Atlantic 102.  It became Soo Line RR 102 in January 1961 and traded in to General Electric in November 1967.  It was sold as Vermont RR  404 in April 1968 and resold  SR&N 104 in June 1972.

408, NC, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1937, #651, as Youngstown & Northern 202.  It was transferred as Elgin Joliet & Eastern 408 in 1946 and sold as MT&W 408 on August 27, 1955.  It was sold as SR&N 408 and donated to National Museum of Transport.

1759, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #11119, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1503.  It was renumbered 93 in 1958 and retired on June 9, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry on July 19, 1989, and sold to SB&N 1759 in July 1990.

17510, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #11120, as MKT 1504.  It was renumbered 94 in 1958 and retired on June 9, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry in July 1989 and sold as SRN 17510 in July 1990.


San Antonio & Aransas Pass Ry.

60 was built by Baldwin on May 1922, #55390. It later became Texas & New Orleans 220, Class E-40, in 1925. It was later renumbered 260 on August 31, 1950, and then sold to Comite Southern as 2 on September 14, 1954. It later became Louisiana Eastern 2 and was sold to Stone Mountain Scenic RR and dressed up as Texas II in May 1962.

61 was built by Baldwin in May 1922, #55391. It later became T&NO 221, Class E-40, in 1925 and was renumbered 261 on May 29, 1950. It was scrapped at Houston on January 26, 1954.

This unknown caboose is on display.


San Antonio Uvalde & Gulf Ry.  

9206, VO660, was built by Baldwin in June 1941, #62498.  It became Missouri Pacific 9206 and renumbered it 9022 later.  It was sold to the Georgetown RR on March 6, 1959, where it became 100. It was later renumbered 1000.  


San Benito & Rio Grande Valley RR

952 was built by Baldwin in February 1905, #25059, as St Louis Brownsville & Mexico 9.  It was transferred as SB&RGV 2.  It was renumbered 952.

953.


Seagraves Whiteface & Lubbock RR

91, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #11117, FN 6074-1 as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1501.  It was renumbered 91 in 1958 and retired on June 7, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry on July 19, 1989, and sold as Floydada & Plainview RR 91.  It was transferred as SW&L 91 in 1990 and sold as West Texas & Lubbock RR 91 in 1995.

105, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1951, #12063, as MKT 1515.  It was renumbered 105 in 1958 and retired on June 9, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry on July 19, 1989, and sold as SW&L 105.  It was sold as WT&L 105 in 1995.

113, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1951, #14990, FN 6323-4, as MKT 1523.  It was renumbered 113 in 1958 and retired on May 9, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry on July 19, 1989, and sold as SW&L 113 in April 1990.  It was sold as WT&L 113 "City of Brownfield" in January 1996.

118, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1952, #17086, FN 5211-1, as MKT 1528.  It was renumbered 118 in 1958 and retired on June 6, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry on July 19, 1989, and sold as SW&L 118 in April 1990.  It was sold as WT&L 118 in January 1996.  It was sold to National Ry Equipment Co as NREX 118 in 2005 and sold as Bolton's Crown Quality 118 "Eleanor" in 2007.


Shreveport Houston & Gulf RR

In 1907 the Shreveport, Houston, and Gulf Railroad (known as "Shove Hard and Grunt") was built from Manning to Huntington to connect the sawmill town with the Cotton Belt and the Texas and New Orleans railroads.

1 was built by Baldwin in November 1906, #29588, as Lufkin Land & Lumber Co 1.  It became SH&GRR 1 and transferred as Carter-Kelley Lumber Co 1 in 1913 It was sold as W. T. Carter & Brother Lumber Co 1 in 1936 and donated to Grigsby Foundation in 1970,  It was leased as Scott & Bearskin RR 1 and later sold to Eureka Springs & North Arkansas as 1 in 1981.

2 was built by Baldwin in January 1907. #29900, as LLLCo 2.  It became SH&GRR 2 and transferred as C-KLCo 2 in 1913 It was sold as Carter 1 in 1936 and donated to Grigsby Foundation in 1970,  It was leased as S&BRR 2 and it was sold as Reader RR 2 in May 1978.  It does a few movie jobs..

3 was built by Baldwin in July 1908, #32846, as SH&GRR 3.  It became C-KLCo 3 in 1913 and sold as Carter 3 in 1936.  It was sent to the Texas Forestry Museum at Lufkin, TX,, in 1970.

5 was built by Baldwin in February 1911, #36130, as E P Rentz Lumber Co 101.  It became SH&GRR 5 in 1913 and sold as Carter 5 in 1936.  It was given to Polk County Museum in 1970.


Six Flags Fiesta Texas

502 "Gretta" was built by Reichswerke.  It was transferred to Six Flags of Georgia.


Six Flags Over Texas

El Cha Cha operated as Ferrocarril Fiesta Train.  It was built in 1961 and was removed in 1978.  There is a page which gives all of the Six Flag history.


W. J. Smith Wood Preserving Co.

400, 25 Ton, was built by General Electric in May 1950, #30591, as A B Cook Co, no number.  It was sold as WJSWPCo 400 and later resold as Alan Richey Co, no number.

1655, 15 Ton, was built by Whitcomb in 1949, #40672. as 94.  It was renumbered 1655 almost immediately.

1656, 16 Ton, was built by Whitcomb in 1949, #40676.


Southern Pine Lumber Co.

Temple-Eastex Inc.

20 was built by Baldwin in January 1920, #61193, as Temple Lumber Co 20.  It was merged as SPLCo 20 in 1956 and donated to City of Pineland in 1985.

28 was built by Baldwin in November 1917, #47032, as United States Army 396. It was renumbered 645 in 1919 and in 1941 it was renumbered 20 of the Claiborne & Polk Training Ry. After WWII, it was sold to S. Bender in March 1947 and resold as Tremont & Gulf 28. It was sold as TLCo 28 in June 1955 and merged as SPLCo 28 in 1956.  SPL donated the locomotive in 1973 and it was moved to the Texas State RR in February 1976.  It became 300 when rebuilt.

1140 was built by Baldwin in January 1903, #21521, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 1140, Class 1050.  It was simpled at Topeka in January 1910.  It was sold as Temple Lumber Co 1140 in September 1952 and merged as SPLCo 1140 in 1956.  It became Temple-Eastex Inc 1140 and donated to Red River Valley Ry Historical Society in the 1980.


South Orient Ry.

There is a special page on this railroad.


South Plains Lamesa RR

There is a special page on this railroad.


Southwest Construction Materials Co.

3946, 16 Ton, was built by Vulcan in 1928, #3946, as United States Army 7660.  It was sold to SWCMCo and the plant was purchased by Gifford-Hill Co.

4705, S12, was built by Baldwin in September 1953, #75920, as Southern Pacific 1545, Class DS-118. It was renumbered 2152, Class BS412-4, in 1966. It was retired in 1972 and sold to SWCMCo as 4705 in December 1973. It was later sold to Redland Stone Co and was given its original number when Martin-Marietta Materials Co purchased Redland. It was scheduled for scrapping in December 2001 but it was scrapped only in 2007.


Southwest Railway Car Parts Co.

At Venus, Texas, there is a scrap yard specializing in railway scrap including many locomotives.

501, 25 Ton, was built by Whitcomb in April 1950, #61107, as Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co 252. It was sold to LTV Corp as 501 and later SRCP 501.

This unnumbered Plymouth 20 Ton was retired.


Southwest Railway Equipment Co.

200, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1953, #18618, as Roscoe Snyder & Pacific 200,  It was sold as SREC 200 in 1970.


Temple & Central Texas RR

2003, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive.

2008, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive.


Temple Lumber Co.

20 was built by Baldwin in January 1920, #61193.  It was merged as Southern Pine Lumber Co 20 in 1956 and donated to City of Pineland in 1985.

28 was built by Baldwin in November 1917, #47032, as United States Army 396. It was renumbered 645 in 1919 and in 1941 it was renumbered 20 of the Claiborne & Polk Training Ry. After WWII, it was sold to S. Bender in March 1947 and resold as Tremont & Gulf 28. It was sold as TLCo 28 in June 1955 and merged as SPLCo 28 in 1956.  SPL donated the locomotive in 1973 and it was moved to the Texas State RR in February 1976.  It became 300 when rebuilt.

1140 was built by Baldwin in January 1903, #21521, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 1140, Class 1050.  It was simpled at Topeka in January 1910.  It was sold as TLCo 1140 in September 1952 and merged as SPL 1140 in 1956.  It became Temple-Eastex Inc 1140 and donated to Red River Valley Ry Historical Society in the 1980.

1, 45Ton, was built by General Electric in January 1947, #29207. In 1972 it was donated to the Texas State RR as 1.


Texana Tank Car & Mfg Co.

101, S1, was built by Alco in December 1940, #69385, as Massena Terminal RR 8.  It was sold as Rockdale Sandow & Southern RR 19 and sold as El Dorado & Wesson 19.  It was resold to Texana as 101.

102, S3, was built by Alco in September 1952, #80058, as ED&W 18.  It was sold to Braswell Sand & Gravel Co and resold to Texana as 102.


Texas & Northern RR

We have a full page on this operation.


Texas Central Business

This switching company was set up at Midlothian in 2001.

101, U23B, was built by General Electric in November 1974, #39907, as Missouri Pacific 2259. It was renumbered 4509 in 1980 and assigned Union Pacific 543.  On January 24, 1991, it was sold to General American Transportation and then to  National Ry Equipment Co as 543. It became TCB 101 in 2001.

102, U23B, was built by General Electric in November 1974, #39911, as MP 2263. It was renumbered 4513 in 1980 and became UP 547 on October 7, 1987. It was retired on January 24, 1991, and returned to GATX. It was sold to NRE as 547. It became TCB 102 in 2001.

103, U23B, was built by General Electric in November 1974, #39906, as MP 2258.  It was renumbered 4508 in 1980 and became UP 542 on April 30, 1987.  It was retired on January 24, 1991, and sold to GATX.  It was sold to NRE as 542 and became TCX 103 in 2001.

201, B23-7, was built by General Electric.

203, B23-7, was built by General Electric.

1001, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1949, #8932, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 223L, Class 200, an F7A. It was rebuilt at Cleburne in March 1973 as 2576, Class 2417. It later was sold to Texas Industries as 1001, and was transferred to TCB.

1002, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1946, #2736, as AT&SF 19C, Class 16, and F3A. It was rebuilt at Cleburne in June 1972 as 2615, Class 2417. It was later sold to TXI as 1002, and was transferred to TCB.


Texas Central RR

There is a page on this peanut hauler.


Texas City Terminal RR

36, MP15DC, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1982, #827028-2.


Texas Crushed Stone Co.

There is a special page on this company.


Texas Export RR 

The Texas Export Railroad was chartered on December 29, 1972, and in 1973 acquired fifty-four miles of track from the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad that stretched from Bridgeport to Graham. In 1976 the railroad was abandoned. The Texas Export was financed, in part, by the Small Business Administration.

Chris Cravens in Handbook of Texas Online

1004 (VO1000) Baldwin, February, 1945, #71741. Originally it was St. Louis South-Western 1009 Class Z-10. In April, 1963, it became Louisiana & North West 43. In January, 1967, it was sold to the Georgetown RR as 1004. It became Texas Export RR 1004 in May, 1973. It was apparently renumbered back to 1009.

Jacksboro was a branch from Bridgeport and Graham.  It was acquired by Texas Export RR in 1973 but it was abandoned in 1976.  The station is now a historical site along with the bridge which had crossed the Lost Creek.


Texas Gonzales & Northern Ry.

105, SW9u, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1952, #16679, as Western Pacific 605, Class S-62.  It was rebuilt as Union Pacific 1273 on December 22, 1984, and retired on October 7, 1996.  It was sold to Helm Financial Corp in February 1997.  It was sold as Texas Rock Crusher RR  97.  It was transferred as TXGN 97 and was renumbered 105.

2584, SW1500, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1971, #7367-2, as St. Louis South-Western 2584, Class ES415C-4.  It was sold as TXGN 2584 and sold as Rail Switching Service 2584.  It was sold to Lattimore Materials Co as 1961 in 2001.


Texas Industries Co.

1001, CF7. was built by Electro-Motive in December 1949, #8932, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 223L, Class 200, an F7A. It was rebuilt at Cleburne in March 1973 as 2576, Class 2417. It later was sold to TIC as 1001, and was transferred to Texas Central Business as 1001 in 2001.

1002, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1946, #2736, as AT&SF 19C, Class 16, an F3A. It was rebuilt at Cleburne in June 1972 as 2615, Class 2417. It was later sold to TIC as 1002, and was transferred to TCB 1002.

2428, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1953, #18922, as AT&SF 274C, Class 200, an F7A. It was retired on March 12, 1976, and was rebuilt at Cleburne as 2428, Class 2417, in December 1977. It was sold in October 1984 as TIC as 2428.

2447, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1949, #8281, as AT&SF 212L, Class 200, an F7A. It was renumbered 105, Class 100, on March 15, 1972, and returned as 212L, Class 200, on February 20, 1972. It was retired on August 26, 1975, and rebuilt at Cleburne as 2447, Class 2423, August 1977. It was sold on October 1984 as TIC as 2447.


6931, SD40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1976, #766032-6, FN 766032-6, as Chicago & North Western 6931.  It was assigned Union Pacific 3094, Class SD40-2, but retired on February 27, 2001.  It was sold to CIT Equipment Finance as CEFX 6931 and sold as TXXX 6931 in 2012.


Texas Limited

100, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1952, #16560, as Southern Pacific 6379, Class DF-8. In 1966 it was reclassified EF415-8. It was traded in to General Electric in 1968, and was sold to Louisiana & North West as 44 in October 1968. In May 1990 it became Entertainment Trains Inc 100. It was at the Galveston Railroad Museum as TL 100 and scrapped on June 1, 2011.

200, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1950, #10614, FN 3039-A14, as SP 6309, Class DF-6. It was reclassified Class EF415-6 in 1966 and traded it to General Electric in 1969.  It was sold to Wellesville Addison & Galeton where it was never used. It was sold to  L&NW as 47 in 1971. It went to ET as 200 in May 1990 and was at the Galveston Railroad Museum as TL 200.  It was scrapped on June 1, 2011.


Texas Midland RR

107.


Texas-New Mexico RR

This is a RailAmerica line.


Texas Northeastern RR

This railroad is now part of Dallas Garland & NorthEastern.


Texas North Orient RR

701, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive, February 1953, #17827 as Union Pacific 700. It was renumbered 100 in October 1953. On August 8, 1978, it was retired, and it was sold to Bargains Galore in April 1979. It was purchased by XTRA, who sold it to LaSalle & Bureau County as 100. It later went to the Texas-Northwestern as 100, and then to the Kiamichi RR as 701.  It was sold to TNO as 701 and sold as Transglobal Rail 701 in May 1998.

900, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1954, #19870, as Union Pacific 273. It was retired in August, 1978, and sold to Bargains Galore on February 15, 1979. They immediately sold it to Diesel Electric Service, who sold it to the LS&BC as 273. It later was sold to the Texas-Northwestern as 273. They sold it to the Kiamichi as 900 and sold as Texas North Orient 900.  It was sold to GLNX Corp in July 1995.


Texas Northwestern RR

100, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive, February 1953, #17827 as Union Pacific 700. It was renumbered 100 in October 1953. On August 8, 1978, it was retired, and it was sold to Bargains Galore in April 1979. It was purchased by XTRA, who sold it to LaSalle & Bureau County as 100. It later went to the TNW as 100, and then to the Kiamichi RR as 701.  It was sold to Texas North Orient as 701 and sold as Transglobal Rail 701 in May 1998.

900, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1954, #19870, as Union Pacific 273. It was retired in August, 1978, and sold to Bargains Galore on February 15, 1979. They immediately sold it to Diesel Electric Service, who sold it to the LS&BC as 273. It later was sold to the Texas-Northwestern as 273. They sold it to the Kiamichi as 900 and sold as Texas North Orient 900.  It was sold to GLNX Corp in July 1995.


Texas Rock Crusher RR

97, SW9u, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1952, #16679, as Western Pacific 605, Class S-62.  It was rebuilt as Union Pacific 1273 on December 22, 1984, and retired on October 7, 1996.  It was sold to Helm Financial Corp in February 1997.  It was sold as TXR 97.  It was transferred as Texas Gonzales & Northern Ry 97 and was renumbered 105.

101, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive  in October 1967, #33327, FN 7060-10, as Baltimore & Ohio 3809, Class GP-38.  It was later 2009 and then became CSX Transportation 2009, Class GP-38, in 1987.  It was retired on January 22, 1996, and sold to Helm Atlantic on April 10, 1996.  It was rebuilt by VMV as Nebraska Northeastern Ry 9701 in February 1997 and sold as TXR 101 in 2005.

102, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1950, #11986, FN 5045-4, as St Louis-San Francisco 528.  It was sold to Precision National Corp as PNC 528 and sold to Chicago & North Western in March 1980 and became 4445 on May 25, 1980.  It was retired in May 1994 and sold to OmniTrax in October 1994 as GWRX 4445.  It was sold as South Orient RR 107 and sold as TXR 116.  It was renumbered 102.

305, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1949, #8289, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 216L, Class 200, a F7A. It was retired on January 18, 1974, and was rebuilt at Cleburne as 2524, Class 2417, in April 1974. It was sold to General Electric in General 1984 and then to National Railway Equipment Co. It was then sold to Red River Valley & Western as 305 in July 1987. It later was sold as TX216L, Class 200, was built in November 1949, #8289. It was retired on January 18, 1974, and was rebuilt at Cleburne as 2524, Class 2417, in April 1974. It was sold to General Electric in General 1984 and then to National Railway Equipment Co. It was then sold to Red River Valley & Western as 305 in July 1987. It later was sold as TXR 305 in 1998.


Texas South-Eastern RR

The Texas Southeastern Railroad Company was chartered on October 9, 1900, by T. L. L. Temple,qv founder of the Southern Pine Lumber Company, and still belongs to the same, now diversified, organization (see THOMPSON TIMBER INTERESTS). On February 6, 1931, the railroad was renamed the Texas South-Eastern Railroad Company. The company, capitalized at $100,000, has offices at Diboll. Members of the first board of directors were Temple of Texarkana, Arkansas; C. M. McWilliams of Texarkana, Texas; and W. J. Williams, Charles Frederick, Watson Walker, W. P. Rutland, and William Ashford, all of Angelina County. In 1898 the Southern Pine Lumber Company purchased a seven-mile narrow gauge railroad from W. N. Atwood, which became the basis for the Texas Southeastern. After the incorporation of the railroad, the line was rebuilt and extended about fifteen miles eastward from Diboll to a connection with the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company of Texas (Cotton Belt). This gave the Texas Southeastern a second outlet for its traffic, as the company already connected with the Houston East and West Texas Railway Company at Diboll. With two railroads now competing for its traffic, the Cotton Belt connection gave the Texas Southeastern a more assured car supply as well as a higher division of the freight rates on outbound lumber.

In May 1906 the charter of the Texas Southeastern was amended, authorizing the railroad to build in a westward direction to Everett in San Jacinto County with branch lines from Blix to Lufkin and from Vair to Neches in Houston County. In March 1908 the company sold its mileage east of Diboll to the Southern Pine Lumber Company. On November 28, 1908, the railroad was recognized as a common carrier by the Railroad Commission,qv and by early 1909 the company had completed nearly twenty-eight miles of track between Diboll and Neff and between Blix and Lufkin. The company did no additional construction, although during 1915 and 1916 the Texas Southeastern operated more than seventeen miles of a logging railroad built by the Southern Pine Lumber Company between Neff and Bluff City. In December 1915 the company also obtained trackage rights over the Cotton Belt for log trains between Lufkin and White City, a distance of forty-two miles, which briefly expanded the Texas Southeastern to eighty-seven miles. However, in August 1916 service was discontinued to Bluff City, and in March 1919 the company also sold the 7.7 miles between Vair and Neff to the Southern Pine Lumber Company. Between 1908 and 1932 the Groveton, Lufkin and Northern Railway Company operated over the company's track between Vair and Lufkin.

The Texas South-Eastern is one of three short line railroads remaining from the boom period of the East Texas lumber industry.qv This can be attributed to the policy of the parent organization, now Temple-Inland, Incorporated, which practiced sustained cutting of timber and to the development of ancillary industries at Diboll. In addition, the railroad also serves various industries at Lufkin. Its principal traffic has always been lumber and forest products, but daily for more than forty years it also ran a mixed train known affectionately as either "Take it Slow and Easy" or "Tattered, Shattered, and Expired." Between November 1, 1962, and December 31, 1969, the Texas South-Eastern also leased the Texas State Railroadqv from Palestine to Rusk. Until 1938 the vice president of the Texas South-Eastern was E. C. Durham, who had previously worked for the Texas and Pacific Railway Company. Durham was general manager of the railroad during the "Tap Line Case" before the Interstate Commerce Commission and was selected to speak on behalf of the other tap lines. He was succeeded by H. G. Temple, who was also vice president of the Southern Pine Lumber Company at the time. The railroad and lumber companies were closely associated throughout their histories.

In 1978 the 2.4 miles of the Texas South-Eastern between Blix and Vair was abandoned, leaving the railroad with 17.75 miles of track. Like other railroads built to tap the forests of Angelina and neighboring counties, it spawned far-flung logging camps which eventually died or were moved when the timber in the area was cut. Unlike the other camps, the town of Diboll continues to prosper. The partnership of Temple-Inland and the Texas South-Eastern played no small part in the prosperity of Diboll and the surrounding area of East Texas. However, the coming of railroad deregulation in the 1980s and the abandonment of the Cotton Belt line into Lufkin has meant changes on the Texas South-Eastern. The railroad now finds it advantageous to interchange freight directly with the Southern Pacific, successor to the Houston East and West Texas, at Diboll rather than to haul the cars to Lufkin. Likewise, the freight originating or terminating at Lufkin is interchanged at that point. As a result, the Texas South-Eastern no longer operates trains over its main line between Diboll and Lufkin and limits itself to industrial switching at the two points.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Laurence C. Walker, Axes, Oxen, and Men: A Pictorial History of the Southern Pine Lumber Company (Diboll, Texas: Angelina Free Press, 1975).

Megan Biesele  in Handbook of Texas Online.

3.

5.

22, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in May 1956, #32569. It was donated to Texas State RR as 22.

4.


Texas Southern Ltd

104, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1953, #17910, as Bessemer & Lake Erie 726-A, Class W-4A3.  It was transferred as United States Steel Corp 726-A and later sold as Texas Southern 104.  It was leased as Fort Western & Western 104 for a short time. It was planned to run a dinner train to Granbury, but this did not happen, and the locomotive was returned to Texas Southern.  It was sold as Gettysburg RR 401.


Texas State RR

Steam in the piney woods.


Texas Tank Car Works, Inc.

7 was built by Porter in July 1942, #7367, as Florida Portland Cement Co 7.  It was sold to Keith Mackey and was sold as TTCW 7.  It was sold to the New Braunfels Railroad Museum in Texas in 1993.

No number, 35 Ton, was built by Davenport in 1942 for United States Army.


Texas Transportation Co.

Trolley freight in San Antonio.


Texas Utilities Generating Co.

2306, E25B, was built by General Electric in May 1976, #40734.

2310, U23B, was built by General Electric.

5308, SD70ACe, was built by Electro-Motive at London in September 2011, #20116604A-003, FN 20116604A-003, for Electro-Motive as EMDX 2112.  It was renumbered 1204 in May 2012 and was sold to Texas Utilities Mining Co as TUGX 5308 in January 2014.

5309, SD70ACe, was built by Electro-Motive at London in September 2011, #20116604A-004, FN 20116604A-004, as EMDX 2113.  It was renumbered 1205 in May 2012 and sold as TUGX 5309 in January 2014.

23012, U23B, was built by General Electric in November 1974, #40104, as Lehigh Valley 507, Class GF-23.  It was sold as Consolidated Railroad Corp 2783, Class U23B, in April 1976 and sold as TUGX 23012 in 1998.  It was scrapped in May 2012.

23013, U23B, was built by General Electric.

33026, SD40-3, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1969, #35569, FN 5745-24, as Norfolk & Western 1813, SD45.  It was sold to Tamper Corp as P8115-4 and renumbered as 3301.  It was rebuilt by National Railway Equipment and rebuilt as Union Pacific 4759, Class SD40-2, on July 22, 1999.  It was renumbered 2809 on December 18, 2001.  It was retired on April 15, 2002, and returned to CIT Group as CEFX 2809.  It was sold to Luminant as TXU 33026 in September 2012.


Tex-Trac, Inc.

1878, 60 Ton was built by General Electric in February 1942, #15094, as U S Army QMC 6005.  It became USA 7503 and sold as Cheswick & Harmar RR 7.  It was closed around 1970 and apparently was purchased by TT.  It was used at Columbus, MS, and later sent to Shreveport which is on the Arkansas side.


TG Railway Enterprises

Fort Worth car rebuilder.


Trinity & Brazos Valley Ry.

We have a full page on this regional railroad.


Trinity Industries

We have a full page on this car builder.


Trinity Railway Express

Dallas-Fort Worth Commuter service.


Trinity River Authority

No Number, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric in October 1944, #27700, as United States Army 1847. It was renumbered 8562 and later sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co. It then sold in 1970 as DeQueen & Eastern as D-11. Later it was sold to TRA and had no number.


Trinity Valley Railfans

This group acquired a number of passenger cars in the mid 1960s and operated them on the Texas Central and later on the Texas Export RR.

205 "Leon River" was formerly Fort Worth & Denver 205.  It was acquired in 1969.

551 "Alarm Crrek" was formerly Colorado & Southern 551.  It was acquired in May 1970.

553 "Armstrong Creek" was formerly C&S 553.   It was acquired in May 1970.


Triton Transport Inc.

Environmental Protection and Improvement Co.

1, SW900, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1955, #20401, FN 4301-18, as Baltimore & Ohio 642, Class DS-20E.  It was renumbered 9417, Class SE-3, in 1956, and was reclassified Class SW-900 in 1965.  It was retired on September 8, 1986, and sold to Wilson Railway Corp on December 23, 1986.  It was sold as Triton Transport Inc 1 in September 1987 and renamed as Environmental Protection and Improvement Co (EPIC).  It was sold as L&L Railroad Equipment Co 14 and became Choo Choo Leasing Co 114.  It was sold and rebuilt by LRS Co as LRSX 114.


Union Equity Grain Corp.

This is a part of the Farmland Industries group.


Waco Beaumont Trinity & Sabine

We have a full page on the "Wobblety, Bobblety".


Waste Control Specialists LLC

9931, SD40-2, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1978, #777100-5, FN 777100-5, as Missouri Pacific 3256.  It became Union Pacific 4256, Class SD40-2, on September 1, 1988, and was renumbered 9931 on October 12, 2000.  It was retired on April 19, 2001, and sold as National Railway Equipment Co 9931.  It was sold as WCSX 1001.


Weatherford Mineral Wells & Western

There is a full page on this railroad.


Western RR

171, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1958, #24104. as Great Northern RR 730, Class GP-9.  It became Burlington Northern 1803, Class GP-9, in 1970 and retired on April 27, 1987.  It was sold on August 13, 1987, to Wilson Ry Corp and then as Intermountain Transportation Services 171 in September 1988.  It was renamed as Intermountain Western 171 and later sold as Austin & North Western 171.  It was later sold to National Railway Equipment and then as WRRC 171 in December 2000.

534, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1942, #1683, as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 534. It was sold to the Madison RR as 534 in 1977. They sold it to WRRC as 534 in 1984.

1007. SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1939, #978, as Southern Pacific 1007. Class D-4.  It was reclassified in 1966 as Class ES406-2 and resold in May 1967 as Parker Brothers Co 1007.  It was later resold as WRRC 1007.

1713, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1954, #20021, as Minneapolis St Paul & Sault Ste Marie 405.  It became Soo Line  RR 405 in 1962.  It was sold as David J Joseph Co 1713 in December 1999 and resold as WRRC 1713 in December 2005.

1714, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1956, #21564, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 726, Class 700.  It was renumbered 2926, Class 2900, in 1970 and rebuilt at Cleburne as 2252, Class 2244, in June 1978.  It was assigned as Burlington Northern Santa Fe 1641, Class GP-9, in December 1999, but it was retired in April 2001 without renumbering.  It was sold as Joseph 1714 and resold as WRRC 1714 in December 2005.

9617, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1957, #23363, as Baltimore & Ohio 9617, Class SE-6,  It was reclassified as Class SW-1200 in 1964 and retired on January 29, 1987.  It was sold to Wilson Railway Corp on April 15, 1987, and resold as WRRC 9617 in December 1987.  It was transferred to Katy, TX, in 2001 as Cemex SAE 9617.


West Texas & Lubbock RR

This is an Iowa Pacific Holdings railroad.


Wichita Falls & Southern RR

14.

31.

202.

5.


Wichita Tillman & Jackson RR

This is a part of the Rio Grande Pacific group.


Wilmer Rail Services

555, SD10, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1952, #15623, as Chicago Milwaukee St. Paul & Pacific 2211, Class 15E-RS6, a SD7. It was renumbered 511 in 1959 and rebuilt in October 1974 as 555, Class 18E-RS6. It was assigned Soo Line 6114 in 1985, but it was not renumbered before it was sold as Dakota Minnesota & Eastern 555 "City of Blunt" on September 5, 1986. It was sold to Indiana Rail Road as 555 in December 1997 and sold as WRS 555 in 2005.

560, SD10, was built by Electro-Motive in Jun3 1952, #16943, as CMStP&P 2214, Class 15E-RS6. It was renumbered 514 in 1959 and then rebuilt at Milwaukee in May 1974 as 560, Class 18E-RS6. It became Soo Line 560 in 1986 as 6119 but not changed to 560. It was sold on June 5, 1986, to DM&E 560 "City of Miller" and later to INRD as 560 in January 1998.  It was sold as Wilmer 560 in 2005.

1104, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1956, #21432, FN 5425-15, as Northern Pacific 260.  It became Burlington Northern 1883, Class GP-9, in 1970 and sold to Western Railroad Supply as IRLX 1104.  It was leased as North Star Steel Co 1104 and leased as Wilmer 1104.  It was sold to Titan Rail and rebuilt as 1714.


Woodhouse Terminal 

83 600, S4, was built by Alco in May 1953, #80464, as Northern Pacific 719.  It became Burlington Northern 919, Class ASW-10, in 1970, and retired in May 1973.  It was sold as Agrico Chemical Co 1 and resold as Goodpasture Grain Co 83 600.  It was sold as Agri Industries 83 600 and sold as Intercontinental Terminal 83 600.  It was sold as WT 83 600.

83 604, RS3, was built by Alco in October 1955, 381686, as Federal Barge Line RR 61.  It was sold as Birmingham Southern RR 154 and renumbered 254.  It was sold as GGCl 83 604.  It was sold as AGRI 83 604 and sold as IT 83 604.  It was sold as WT 83 604.

 

 

The histories came from The Handbook of Texas Online.

Thanks for roster information: Doug Cummings, David A Dallner, Gerald Hook, Randy Keller, Mike Palmieri, Ro Stafford.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

5/16/2014

Memorial of Saint Carantoc

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

So now, you kings, come to your senses, you earthly rulers, learn your lesson!

In fear be submissive to the LORD;

with trembling kiss his feet, lest he be angry and your way come to nothing, for his fury flares up in a moment. How blessed are all who take refuge in him!

Psalm 2:10-12