Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc. You can find it at Ebay as trinitydon .
This site is non-profit and non-commercial. We are free of advertising on
this site but there are costs in internet services. If you enjoy this
site, we do need support. We would
appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.
Don's Rail Photos
Great Southwest Railroad
The Great Southwest Railroad, Incorporated, was a terminal and switching company serving the Great Southwest Industrial District in Arlington and Grand Prairie, midway between Dallas and Fort Worth. The company was chartered on May 7, 1957, and began operations in May 1959. In December 1960 the Texas and Pacific and the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific railroads each purchased 45 percent of the Great Southwest stock from the Great Southwest Corporation, the railroad's parent company. In 1985 the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company, successor to the Texas and Pacific, purchased the stock held by the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific and the Great Southwest Corporation, a purchase which gave the Missouri Pacific 100 percent ownership. In 1987 the Great Southwest with its twenty-two miles of track was merged into the Missouri Pacific.
Cecil Harper, Jr. In Handbook of Texas Online
1006, 75DE12c, was built by Canadian Locomotive in 1948, #2417, as Canadian National 7809, Class Q-7-a. It was rejected by them and rebuilt by Whitcomb in November 1950, #60820, as Rock Island 1006. In May 1959 it was repainted for the GSW. It was later returned to the Rock and later traded in to Electro-Motive.
8007, SW8, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1952, #15837, FN 6360-8, as Texas & Pacific 818. It was renumbered 8007 in 1962 and sent to the GSW in the early 1960s. It was later returned to the T&P in 1966. It was rebuilt as Missouri Pacific slug 1403 in September 1979. It then became Union Pacific S12 on January 29, 1988, and later assigned Y906 in December 1999.
1007, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive on February 10, 1947, #4593, FN E814-6, as T&P 1007. It came to the GSW in 1966 and was returned to the T&P in 1971. It was then sold to U. S. Steel Corp. on September 23, 1971.
1017, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1949, #6589, FN E1010-9, as T&P 1017. It came to GSW in 1966 and was returned to T&P in 1974. It was then sold to Arkansas & Louisiana Missouri as 1017 and then immediately to Olinkraft Corp as 1017.
1016, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1949, #6588, FN E1010-8, as T&P 1016. It came to GSW in 1971. I don't have the disposition on this locomotive.
1232, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1951, #12551, FN 4074-1, as Missouri Pacific 9170. It was renumbered 1232 in 1962 and came to GSW about 1979. It was later returned to the Mopac and then rebuilt at Omaha on October 30, 1984, as Union Pacific 1269. It was retired on July 14, 1998, and sold to Ferrocarril Mexicano as 1269
1233, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1951, #12552, FN 4074-2, as Mopac 9171. It was renumbered 1233 in 1962 and came to GSW about 1979. It was later returned to the MoPac and then rebuilt at Omaha on November 14, 1984, as UP 1270. It was retired on April 12, 1997, and sold to Mid-Am Equipment inJune 1997. It was then sold to North American Fly Ash Co as 1270.
102, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1951, #14517, FN 6228-8, as T&P 1036. It was renumbered 1231 in 1962 and became MoPac 1231 in 1976. It was repainted and renumbered as GSW 102 on July 30, 1984. It was sold to Wilson Ry Corp in June 1988 and resold to Farmers Cooperative Elevator that same month. The elevator was acquired by Cooperative Business Association in 1989 or 1990. The engine was retired in 1997 with engine troubles and was sold to Roy Morris in November 1999 for use as a lease locomotive. The deal fell thru and Mr. Morris sold it to Transglobal Rail in October 2000. After rebuilding it was sold to Nucor Steel as 1231 and sent to Hertford, NC.
1249/103, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1951, #14325, FN 4114-1, as St. Louis Brownsville & Mexico 9187. It became MoPac 9187 in 1956 and was renumbered 1249 in 1962. It went to GSW as 1249 on July 30, 1984, and repainted and renumbered 103 in 1985. It was sold to Wilson in June 1988 and resold to Farmers Cooperative Elevator at Split Rock, MN. It now has silver trucks from a UP SW10, but remains in GSW paint and lettering.
Thanks to Randy Keller for corrections and further information regarding 102 and 103.
The history came from the The Handbook of Texas Online.
WebWork by rinity echnology Co.
Memorial of Saint Endellion of Tregony
While the world changes, the cross stands firm. --Saint
While the world changes, the cross stands firm.