Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Under Construction

South Carolina Short Lines and Industrial Railroads

 

Argent Lumber Co.

5 was built by Lima in June 1910, #1116, as Williamson & Brown Log & Lumber Co 3.  It was sold as ALCo 5 and sold to Stone Machine Co in January 1960.  It was sold to George Roose in 1964 and sold to the Ramey family later.  It is offered for sale by D F Barnhardt.

6 was built by Baldwin in October 1891, #12288, as Surry Sussex & Southampton Ry 6.  It was rebuilt in 1918 and rebuilt as Argent Lumber Co 6 in 1930.  It was rebuilt in 1953 and rebuilt as Midwest Central RR 6 in 1960.


Becker Sand & Gravel Co.

We have a full page on this interstate company.


Blue Circle Cement Co.

Lafarge Co.

Argos Cement Co.

No number, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric in December 1942, #17732, as United States Army 7422.  It was sold to J W Bailes Co no number and resold Becker Sand & Gravel Co no number.  It was sold as Gifford-Hill Cement Co 10-930 and became Blue Circle Cement Co no number.  It became Lafarge Corp no number and became Argos Cement Co no number.


Campbell Limestone Co.

9 was built by Heisler Locomotive Works in May 1923, #1479, as Kentucky Lumber Co 9.  It was sold as Carolina Tie & Lumber Co 9 and sold as Santee River Hardwood Co 9.  It was sold as CLCo 9 in March 1962 and became Vulcan Materials Co 9 in February 1969.  It was donated to the NRHS Atlanta Chapter in December 1979 and is at the Southeastern Ry Museum.  It was restored as CLCo 9.


Carolina Piedmont RR

This is a RailAmerica line.


Carolina Tie & Lumber Co.

9 was built by Heisler Locomotive Works in May 1923, #1479, as Kentucky Lumber Co 9.  It was sold as CT&LCo 9 and sold as Santee River Hardwood Co 9.  It was sold as Campbell Limestone Co 9 in March 1962 and became Vulcan Materials Co 9 in February 1969.  It was donated to the NRHS Atlanta Chapter in December 1979 and is at the Southeastern Ry Museum.  It was restored as CLCo 9.


Chesterfield & Lancaster RR

It was built in 1907 between Cheraw and Pageland.  It ran out of money and never made it to Lancaster.  Service to Pageland was discontinued many years before the entire road was finally abandoned in 1941.  It was owned and operated by the Seaboard Air Line Ry.

100, Model 10, was built by Edwards Ry Motor Car Co in 1924, as Yadkin RR 100.  It was sold as C&L 100 in 1932.  When the line was abandoned, it was sold as a shoe shop in Chesterfield and later became a concession stand at the Chesterfield ball park.  It was put in the county landfill until 2000 when it was stored in Norwood, NC.  It is owned by Alexander Chapter, NRHS and efforts are being done to restore the car.


Columbia Newberry & Laurens RR

The CN&L was incorporated in 1886 and built a 75 mile railroad between Columbia and Laurens. In 1926 the Atlantic Coast Line acquired control of the railroad. It is now part of CSX.

7.

104. GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1951, #15601, FN 5166-2.  It became Atlantic Coast Line 1104 and renumbered 279.  It became Seaboard Coast Line 879.

30 became Seaboard System 20030.

31 became SBD 20031.


East Cooper & Berkeley RR

1751, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive.

2001 "James D Edwards", SW1001, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1977, #776017-1, FN 776017-1.

2002 "L Marion Gressette", SW1001, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1977, #776017-2, FN 776017-2.  It was transferred as Port Terminal RR of South Carolina 2002.

6513, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1957, #22987, FN 5519-3, as Baltimore  & Ohio 6513,Class FSE-2.  It was reclassified Class GP-9 in 1964 and assigned CSX Transportation 0513, Class GP-9, but retired on January 9, 1987.  It was sold to South Carolina Public Railways in February 1987 and assigned as Port Royal RR 6513.  It reassigned to Port Utilities of Charleston and lettered as Port Terminal RR 6513 "Carrol A Campbell Jr".  It was reassigned as ECBR 6513 and resold as Greenville & Western RR 3751 in 2007.

6554, GP-9, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1957, #23028, FN 5519-44, as B&O 6554, Class FSE-2.  It was reclassified as Class GP-9 in 1964 and assigned as CSX 0554, Class GP-9 but retired on January 29, 1987.  It was sold to South Carolina Public Railways in February 1987 and assigned as PRRR 6554.  It was reassigned as ECBR and returned as PRRR 6554.  It was resold as GRLW 3752 in 2009.


East Tennessee & Western North Carolina RR

There is a full page on this narrow gauge memory.


Edgemoor & Manetta Ry.

5 was built by Porter in November 1917, #5980, for Watertown Arsenal.  It was sold as Warrior River Terminal Co 3 and sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co in 1934.  It was sold as E&M 5 in April 1941 and the line was abandoned in 1975.


Gifford-Hill Co.

This is a national company.


Greenville & Northern Ry.

704, GP9m, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1957, #22302, FN 5480-30, as Illinois Central 9237.  It was rebuilt at Paducah as ICG 7704 in March 1974 and sold as Arkansas Midland RR 704 on January 17, 1992.  It was transferred as G&N 704 and sold as Carolina Piedmont RR 70 in 1997.


Greenville & Western Ry.

3751, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1957, #22987, FN 5519-3, as Baltimore  & Ohio 6513,Class FSE-2.  It was reclassified Class GP-9 in 1964 and assigned CSX Transportation 0513, Class GP-9, but retired on January 9, 1987.  It was sold to South Carolina Public Railways in February 1987 and assigned as Port Royal RR 6513.  It reassigned to Port Utilities of Charleston and lettered as Port Terminal RR 6513 "Carrol A Campbell Jr".  It was reassigned as East Cooper & Berkeley RR 6513 and resold as GRLW 3751 in 2007.

3752, GP-9, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1957, #23028, FN 5519-44, as B&O 6554, Class FSE-2.  It was reclassified as Class GP-9 in 1964 and assigned as CSX 0554, Class GP-9 but retired on January 29, 1987.  It was sold to South Carolina Public Railways in February 1987 and assigned as PRRR 6554.  It was reassigned as ECBR and returned as PRRR 6554.  It was resold as GRLW 3752 in 2009.

4201, GP30u, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1963, #28088, FN 7642-31, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 1265, Class 1200. It was renumbered 3265, Class 3200, in 1970 and rebuilt at Cleburne as 2765, Class 2700, in December 1983. It became Burlington Northern Santa Fe 2464, Class GP30, on July 21, 1999, and sold to Larry's Truck Equipment in August 2011.  It was sold as GRLW 4201 in November 2012.

4202, GP30u, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1963, #28098, FN 7642-41, as AT&SF 1275, Class 1200.  It was renumbered 3275, Class 3200, in 1970 and rebuilt at Cleburne as 2775, Class 2700, in August 1983.  It became BNSF 2473, Class GP30, in January 2000 and sold to Larry's Truck Equipment in August 2011.  It was sold as GRLW 4202 in November 2012.


Hampton & Branchville RR

There is a full page on this railroad.


Horry County Ry.

1068, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1960, #26104, FN 8067-3, as Louisville & Nashville 462, Class GP-18.  It was renumbered 902 in 1965 and became Seaboard System 1068.  It was sold as HCRR 1068 in 1985 and sold to Republic Locomotive in 1989 when the line was purchased by Waccamaw Coastline.  The hood was used to repair United States Sugar Corp 4491 and became USSC 1068.


J. M. Huber Co.

No number, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric.


Lancaster & Chester RR

There is a full page on this railroad.


Marion County Ry.

No number, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric in June 1953, #31229, as Birmingham & Southeastern RR 199.  It was sold to Columbia Nitrogen Co and resold to Republic Locomotive Works.  It was sold as MCRY no number in June 1984.


Motive Power & Equipment Solutions

There is a full page on this company.


National Railway Utilitization Corp.

A railroad car leasing and managing corporation born out of the ICC decision to allow Incentive Per Diem rates to go into effect. This spurred investment in car fleets by many seeking tax shelters and that required firms such as NRUC to manage them. NRUC went through Chapter 11 reorganization in 1986 after ICC repealed these rules. As of August 23, 1991, name was changed to Emergent Group, Inc. As of 2003, name was HomeGold Financial, Inc., and it has no rail-related operations.

Caboose.


Pacolet Manufacturing Co.

No number, 45 Ton, was built by General Electric in November 1941, #13169, as United States Army 4550. It was renumbered 7431 and later sold to Birmingham Slag Co as DE7 in July 1946. It later became Vulcan Materials Co as 2264. It was rebuilt in 1971 and sold to PMCo no number in 1971.


Pee Dee River RR

There is a full page on this railroad.


Pickens RR

3, SC, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1938, #718, FN E209-1, as Union Terminal Ry of St Joseph 5.  It was transferred as St Joseph Belt Ry 5 and renumbered 6005 in 1962.  It was sold to Precision Engineering Co on August 9, 1965, and sold as Pickens 3.  It was sold to Birmingham Rail and Locomotive and sold to Duke Power.  It was sent to Chattahoochee Locomotive and rebuilt with a Cummins engine as Duke 117 for the Cherokee Nuclear Power Plant.  When it was halted in 1982, it was sold as Thermal Belt Ry 1.

 

5 "Allan M Baum", DS4-4-750, was built by Baldwin in February 1951, #73658, as Youngstown Sheet & Tube Co 701.  It was sold as Pickens 5 in 1977 and sold as SMS Lines 102 in 2001.

9503, U18B, was built by General Electric in December 1973, #39408, as Seaboard Coast Line 251.  It became Seaboard System 251 and renumbered 1889.  It became CSX Transportation 1889, Class U18B, and was renumbered 9503, Class MOW.  It was sold as PICK 9503 in 2003.

9504, U18B, was built by General Electric in November 1973, #39389, as SCL 326.  It became SBD 326 and renumbered 1924.  It became CSX 1924, Class U18B, and was renumbered 9504, Class MOW.  It was sold as Pickens 9504 in 2003.


Piedmont & Northern Ry.

There is a full page on this railroad.


Port Royal RR

6513, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1957, #22987, FN 5519-3, as Baltimore  & Ohio 6513,Class FSE-2.  It was reclassified Class GP-9 in 1964 and assigned CSX Transportation 0513, Class GP-9, but retired on January 9, 1987.  It was sold to South Carolina Public Railways in February 1987 and assigned as PRRR 6513.  It reassigned to Port Utilities of Charleston and lettered as Port Terminal RR 6513 "Carrol A Campbell Jr".  It was reassigned as East Cooper & Berkeley RR 6513 and resold as Greenville & Western RR 3751 in 2007.

6554, GP-9, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1957, #23028, FN 5519-44, as B&O 6554, Class FSE-2.  It was reclassified as Class GP-9 in 1964 and assigned as CSX 0554, Class GP-9 but retired on January 29, 1987.  It was sold to South Carolina Public Railways in February 1987 and assigned as PRRR 6554.  It was reassigned as ECBR and returned as PRRR 6554.  It was resold as GRLW 3752 in 2009.


Port Terminal RR of South Carolina

South Carolina Public Rys.

Palmetto Rys.

2002, SW1001, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1977, #776017-2, FN 776017-2, as East Cooper & Berkeley RR 2002 "L Marion Gressette".  It was transferred as PTR 2002.

2005, GP20, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1961, #26595, FN 7597-23, as Chicago Burlington & Quincy  924.  It became Burlington Northern 2060, Class GP-20, in 1970 and retired in May 1987.  It was sold to Precision National Corp in August 1987 and sold as LTV Steel Mining Co 4207.  It was sold as PTR 4207 and became SCRX 2005.

4208, GP20, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1961, #26580, FN 7597-8, as CB&Q 909.  It became BN 2045, Class GP-20, in 1970 and retired in April 1987.  It was sold to Precision National Corp in September 1987 and sold as LTV 7261.  It was renumbered 4208 and sold as PTR 4208.

6513 "Carrol A Campbell Jr", GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1957, #22987, FN 5519-3, as Baltimore  & Ohio 6513,Class FSE-2.  It was reclassified Class GP-9 in 1964 and assigned CSX Transportation 0513, Class GP-9, but retired on January 9, 1987.  It was sold to South Carolina Public Railways in February 1987 and assigned as Port Royal RR 6513.  It reassigned to Port Utilities of Charleston and lettered as PTR 6513 "Carrol A Campbell Jr".  It was reassigned as East Cooper & Berkeley RR 6513 and resold as Greenville & Western RR 3751 in 2007.


Rockton & Rion Ry.

Superior Stone Co.

It would be folly to write a history of this railroad since the South Carolina RR Museum has done an excellent job on their site at the Rockton-Rion page. This is our contribution of a few photographs to their efforts.

2-8-2 31 was the last steam locomotive on the line. It was built by Baldwin in November, 1912, #38813, as Woodward Iron Co. 31. It came to the R&R on January 24, 1962. It was sold in 1973 and is on display in Waycross, GA.

2-8-0 712 was built by Baldwin in 1903, #23210, as Atlantic Coast Line 712. It came to the R&R during the war via Southern Iron & Equipment Co. It was sold in 1973, but it is still on the property. The SCRRM is now trying to acquire this locomotive.

201 was a 70 Ton built by General Electric in January, 1948, #29465, as High Point Thomasville & Denton 201. In October, 1968, it was purchased by and lettered for Superior Stone Co. It never got to be lettered for the R&R. In 1976 it became Birmingham Rail & Locomotive 139. They sold it to McWane Cast Iron Pipe Co. as 70 in February, 1976. It was scrapped in 1984.

2nd 102, 70 Ton, was built by General Electric in January 1948, #29467, as High Point Thomasville & Denton RR 203.  It was sold as Superior Stone Co 203 on October 24, 1968, and became Martin Marietta Corp 203.  It was sold through George Silcott to LRS as 102 in March 1985 and sold as Atlantic & Western RR 102 in December 1986.

 


Santee River Hardwood Co.

9 was built by Heisler Locomotive Works in May 1923, #1479, as Kentucky Lumber Co 9.  It was sold as Carolina Tie & Lumber Co 9 and sold as SRHCo 9.  It was sold as Campbell Limestone Co 9 in March 1962 and became Vulcan Materials Co 9 in February 1969.  It was donated to the NRHS Atlanta Chapter in December 1979 and is at the Southeastern Ry Museum.  It was restored as CLCo 9.


Savannah River Plant

United States Department of Energy

105, RS1, was built by Alco in June 1951, #79050.  It was sold as Martin Marietta Corp 105.

106, RS1, was built by Alco in June 1951, #79051.  It was donated as Gulf Coast Railway Museum 106.

107, RS1, was built by Alco in July 1951, #79052.  It became United States Department of Energy 39-5309 and sold as Huntsville-Madison County Airport Authority 107.

108, RS1, was built by Alco in July 1951, #79053.  It was sold as MMCorp 108.


South Carolina Central RR

There is a RailAmerica line.


South Carolina Public Rys.

Palmetto Rys.

2005, GP20, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1961, #26595, FN 7597-23, as Chicago Burlington & Quincy 924.  It became Burlington Northern 2060, Class GP-20, in 1970 and retired in May 1987.  It was sold to Precision National Corp in August 1987 and sold as LTV Steel Mining Co 4207.  It was sold as Port Terminal RR of South Carolina 4207 and became SCRX 2005.


South Carolina Public Service Authority

1, RS1, was built by Alco in April 1943, #70811, as Atlanta & St Andrews Bay 905. It was sold to Tennessee RR as 1 in July 1955 and became Southern Ry 1 in August 1973. It was sold to Birmingham Rail & Locomotive in November 1973 and then to SCWX as 1. It later went to Maryland & Delaware as 22 and to Arkansas & Missouri as 22, "J A Hannold".  It was donated to the National Museum of Transportation.

4, RS1, was built by Alco in October 1951, #79349, as Rutland RR 400, Class DRS-1. It was sold to Tenn RR as 4 in September 1956 and became Southern Ry 4 when the Tenn was merged in August 1973. It was sold to BR&L in November 1973 and then to SCWX as 4. It later went to Md & De as 20 and then went to A&M as 20, "Bruce Klink".


Vulcan Materials Co.

This is a national company.


Waccamaw Coast Line RR

The WCLR operates between Conway and Myrtle Beach, SC.

48, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1953, #18372, FN 3167-A16, as Texas & New Orleans 379, Class DF-11. It later became Southern Pacific 379, Class EF415A-11. It was traded in to General Electric in August 1969. GE sold it to Wellesville Addison & Galeton as 2400 in 1969. It then went to Louisiana & North West in 1974. In January 1992 it went to WCLR as 48.  It was scrapped.

703, TR5B, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1951, #8547, FN E1187-B2, as Union RR 702C. It was rebuilt on March 29, 1958, and renumbered 704B in April 1958. It was renumbered 703B, Class D-150 in July 1957 and later sold to WCLR as 703.

2480, CF7, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1956, #21137, FN 3191-A11, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 286L, Class 281, a F9A. It was rebuilt at Cleburne in February 1976 as 2480, Class 2417, and retired on January 9, 1986. It was sold to Blue Mountain & Reading in September 1986 and sold to WCLR as 2480 in August 1988. It later was transferred to Clinton Terminal RR as 2480.

9158, F7Au, was built by General Motors in August 1952, #A360, FN C145A-9, as Canadian National 9080, Class V-1-A-d.  It was reclassified as Class GFA-15d in September 1954 and rebuilt in November 1972 as 9158, Class GFA-13a.  It was retired on December 4, 1989, and sold to Century Locomotive Parts.  It was sold as WCLR 9158 and resold as Carolina Southern RR 9158.

9163, F7Au, was built by General Motors in October 1952, #A394 , FN C145A-25, as CN 9116, Class V-1-A-d.  It was reclassified Class GFA-15d in September 1954 and rebuilt in April 1973 as 9163, Class GFA-17a.  It was retired on December 4, 1989, and sold to Century Locomotive Parts.  It was sold as WCLR 9163 and resold as CALA 9163.

103 was sold to Grapevine Vintage RR.


Ware Shoals RR

This little line was built to serve a fabric mill in Ware Shoals, SC, in the early 1960s. For motive power they purchased a 44 Ton locomotive built by General Electric in December, 1943, #18159, as Chattanooga Traction Co. 3. When the CT was merged into the Southern Ry, it was renumbered 1955. It is apparent that there were two paint schemes during the life of the WS. In 1985, the line was abandoned, and the locomotive was sold to Republic Locomotive Works.

Roster information: Ken Ardinger, Randy Keller

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

7/16/2017

15th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

<><

Choose Life.


 

Home Page

Don's Depot

 

Be gentle to all, and stem with yourself.

---St. Teresa of Avila

 

Your shoes are the first thing people subconsciously notice about you.  Wear nice shoes.