Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We are free of advertising on this site but there are costs in internet services.  If you enjoy this site, we do need support.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Green Bay & Western RR

Kewaunee Green Bay & Western Ry

 

Diesel Locomotives

GB&W 101, HH660, was built by Alco in October 1938, #69085. It was sold to United Electric Coal Co as 101 in July 1956 and later sold to Material Service Co. as 49-0159 in 1972. It was apparently scrapped by Irv's Enterprises in 1976.

GB&W 102, S1, was built by Alco in January 1949, #76152. It was sold in June 1968 to Nekoosa-Edwards Paper Co as 12. In 1981 it was resold to Cargill Inc at Buffalo Lake, IA.

KGB&W 103, S1, was built by Alco in January 1941, #69403.  It was sold as NEPCo 61 in March 1968 and transferred to Ashdown in February 1970.

KGB&W 201, S2, was built by Alco in April 1948, #75666. It was sold to Wisconsin Electric Power Co in June 1968.

GB&W 301, RS2, was built by Alco in February 1950, #77914. It was sold to Railroad Builders as 301 in October 1977 and resold to Ann Arbor RR as 301 in 1979.  It was sold to Soo Line Historical and Technical Society and scrapped in 2005.

GB&W 303, RS2, was built by Alco in February 1950, #77916. It was sold to Railroad Builders as 303 on January 14, 1978, and resold to Ann Arbor RR as 303 in 1979. It was later restored as New York Central 8203.

GB&W 304, RS2, was built by Alco in February 1950, #77917. It was sold to Michigan Northern as 1501 in October 1976 and was later scrapped.

GB&W 305, RS3, was built by Alco in May 1951, #78856.  It was rebuilt at Norwood Shops in June 1973, with a new electrical system, 26L brake valve, and a brand new, 12 cylinder , 2000 hp 251 engine. Cost was about $160,000.  It was loaned as Little Rock & Western 305 in 1982.  It was used in August 1994 as Badger Mining Corp 305 and sold and restored as GB&W 305 at Gopher State Railway Museum.  It was leased to CF Industries and sold to them.  It was repainted in a Belt Railway of Chicago style.

GB&W 306, RS3, was built by Alco in May 1951, #78857. It was rebuilt as RS20 in February 1976. It became Wisconsin Central 306 in 1993 and was later sold to Caddo Antoine & Little Missouri as 306.

GB&W 307, RS3, was built by Alco in July 1955, #81286.  It was rebuilt as RS20 in January 1975.  It became Wisconsin Central 307 in 1993 and was sold as Minnesota Commercial RR 307 on November 11, 1994.  It was sold to National Railway Equipment Co in 2001.

GB&W 308, RS3, was built by Alco in July 1955, #81287. It was rebuilt as RS20 in April 1974. It became Wisconsin Central 308 in 1993 and was later sold to Kankakee Beaverville & Southern as 308 in 1997.  It was sold to B&K Engineering in 2005.

KGB&W 309, "H Weldon McGee", RS11, was built in August 1956, #81931, as Kewaunee GB&W 309 "H Weldon McGee".  It was rebuilt in 1964 using some, but not all of the newer innovations from the Century series. Another change simply was to change the fuel rack settings. The result was that, in tests, as much as 2400 hp was gleaned from the original 251 engine. However, there was fear that the main generator could not handle such a load, so the 309 was run at 2,000 hp for a few years, and then at 2250hp after 1987. It should also be noted that the nose was not chopped concurrent with the rebuilding. that was a separate event.  It GB&W 309 on June 1, 1969.  It became Wisconsin Central 309 in 1993 and sold to KB&S as 309 in January 1995.  It was wrecked on March 11, 1999, and scrapped in 2004.

GB&W 311, DL640A, was built by Alco in September 1963, #84559. It became Wisconsin Central 311 in 1993 and sold as 311 MCRR on April 16, 1994.  It was wrecked in July 1996.

GB&W 312 "The Homer E. McGee", C424, was built by Alco in July 1964, #3375-01. It became Wisconsin Central 312 in 1993 and sold as Indiana Hi-Rail 312 in 1994.  It was sold as Martin Marietta Materials 312 in 1995.

GB&W 313, C424, was built by Alco in January 1954, #3382-04. It became Wisconsin Central 313 in 1993 and Minnesota Conmercial 313 on August 27, 1993..

KGB&W 314, C424, was built by Alco in September 1965, #3382-08, and was transferred to GB&W. It became Wisconsin Central 314 in 1993 and Minnesota Commercial 314 on August 27, 1993.

GB&W 315, C424, was built by Alco in February 1968, #3498-01. It is now preserved at the National Railway Museum.

GB&W 316, RS27, was built by Alco in March 1962, #83604, as Alco demonstrator 640-5. It was sold to Chicago & North Western as 903 almost immediately. C&NW traded back to Alco on February 10, 1966, and it became Alco 903, a lease unit. It was then sold to GB&W as 316 in October 1968 and became Wisconsin Central 316 in 1993.  It was sold as Minnesota Commercial 316 in 1994..

GB&W 318, RS27, was built by Alco in March 1962, #83602, as Alco demonstrator 640-2. It was sold to C&NW as 901 and traded back to Alco on February 10, 1966. It became Alco 901. It was leased to Canadian Pacific as 2998 and retured to Alco as 901. It was sold to Precision National as 901 in May 1969. Then it was sold to GB&W as 318 on May 11, 1976, and became Wisconsin Central 318 in 1993.  It was sold as Minnesota Commercial 318 in 1994.

319-323. Conrail sold them to GE Hornell, which "rebuilt" them and sold them to GB&W. "Rebuilt" is a bad word to use, because Hornell did really lousy work. While 319-323 looked impressive when delivered in 1979 and 1980 in fresh GB&W red paint, they were far from being mechanically or electrically reliable. They had problems ranging from the wrong sized washers in the electrical cabinet, creating mini electrical storms; to units missing 3 feet of bus bar going from series to series-parallel. Weld seams were rough and often failed. In due time, Hornell also failed. It took GB&W about 6 weeks of work on each unit to get them running well; after which they were very good units

GB&W 319, C424, was built by Alco in 1960 as demonstrator 640-1. It was rebuilt in September, 1963, #84558, as Pennsylvania RR 2415, Class AF24A. It became Penn Central 2415, Class AF24A, in 1968, and Consolidated Railroad Corp 2474, Class C424, in April 1976.It was sold to GE Hornell and rebuilt.  It was purchased by GB&W in January 1980 and entered service as 319 on February 8, 1980.   It became Wisconsin Central 319 in 1993 and sold as Caddo Antoine and Little Missouri 319 in 1994.  It was then sold as Livonia Avon & Lakeville 429 in 2002

GB&W 320, C424, was built by Alco in June 1963, #84554, as Erie Lackawanna 2412, Class MFA-24D-4. In April 1976 it became Conrail 2486, Class C424. It was sold to GE Hornell and rebuilt. It was purchased by GB&W in January 1980 and entered service as 320 on March 19, 1980.  It became Wisconsin Central 320 in 1993 and sold as CALM 320 in 1994.  It was then sold to LA&P in 2002.

GB&W 322, C424, was built by Alco in October 1963, #87433, as Reading 5204, Class RSA-14. In April 1976 it became Conrail 2493, Class C424.  It was sold to GE Hornell and rebuilt.  It was purchased by GB&W in January 1980 and entered service as 322 in March 1980.  It became Wisconsin Central 322 in 1993 and sold to Reading Co Technical & History Society as Reading 5204.

GB&W 323, C420, was built by Alco in July 1966, #3463-01, as Lehigh & Hudson River 27. It became Conrail 2075, Class C420, in April 1976. It was sold to GE Hornell and rebuilt.  It was purchased by GB&W in December 1979 and entered service as 323 on December 18, 1979. It became Wisconsin Central 323 in 1993, was sold to Iowa Interstate RR as 850 in December 1993 and later resold as Louisville New Albany & Corydon 850 on August 10, 1999.  It was sold to Great Lakes Locomotive Co as GLLX 850 in 2008.

KGB&W 501, FA1, was built by Alco in December 1947, #73679. It was scrapped in February 1964.

KGB&W 502, FA1, was built by Alco in December 1947 #73680. It was scrapped in February 1965.

KGB&W 503, FA1, was built by Alco in April 1949, #76836.  It was scrapped in November 1965.

GB&W 506, FA1, was built by Alco in December 1947, #73681, as 503. It was renumbered 506 in April 1949 and scrapped in August 1960.

GB&W 2400, RSD15, was built by Alco in May 1959, #81764, as Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe 802, Class 800. It was renumbered 9802, Class 9800, in 1970, and sold to Lake Superior & Ishpeming as 2400 in April 1975. It was later sold to Fox River Valley RR as 2400 and then to GB&W 2400 in 1991.  It became Wisconsin Central Ltd 2400 on August 28, 1993, and scrapped in March 1996 at Green Bay, WI.

GB&W 2403, RSD15, was built by Alco in June 1960, #83054, as AT&SF 844, Class 800.  It was renumbered 9844, Class 9800, in 1970 and sold to LS&I as 2403 in April 1975.  It was sold as FRV 2403 in November 1989 and sold as GB&W 2403 in 1991.  It became WCL 2403 on August 28, 1993, and scrapped at Green Bay in March 1996.

GB&W 2404, RSD15, was built by Alco in June 1959, #83469, as AT&SF 810, Class 800.  It was renumbered 9810, Class 9800, on April 26, 1970, and retired on January 29, 1975.  It was sold as LS&I 2404 in April 1975 and sold as FRV 2404 in November 1989.  It was sold as GB&W 2404 in 1991 and WCL 2404 on August 28, 1993.  It was scrapped in 1993 at Green Bay, WI.

GB&W, 2405, RSD15, was built by Alco in May1960, #83574, as AT&SF 838, Class 800.  It was renumbered 9838, Class 9800, in 1970.  It was sold as LS&I 2405 in April 1975 and sold as FRV 2405 in November 1989.  It was sold as GB&W 2405 in 1991 and WCL 2405 on August 28, 1993.  It was scrapped in March 1996 at Green Bay, WI.

 

 

Additional information on several engines was provided by Sam Carlson.

305 was never leased to the Little Rock & Western.  It was simply loaned. LRWN was owned by the Green Bay Packaging Company and when the Rock Island went belly up, GBPC acquired the line from Little Rock to Danville, AR, in order to preserve its railroad connections. At start up, it needed locomotives but quick, and GB&W sent 305 to get the fledgling operation started. Nor was 305 "leased" to Badger Mining; it was simply "supplied" along with 308 to help Badger switch its quarry. The work amounted to only a couple hours a day, and when one unit needed an inspection then it was simply replaced with a similar unit. While I have photos of both 305 and 308 there, I've seen photos of 307 there as well. We should also note that while the rebuilds were basically successful, all units had a tendency to overheat in road service during the summer, so they were used mostly as switchers. Usually when they were seen on the road, it was to transfer them to and from Norwood Shops in Green Bay. While switchers were needed in Green Bay (3) and Wisconsin Rapids (2) the work in WisRap was heavier and included a couple of heavy locals. As trains got longer and cars got heavier, the work overwhelmed the still troublesome.  301-304 and they were sold off during 1976-1978. 2400 hp units took over the duties in WisRap, leaving 305-308 for Green Bay work, with one as a spare that sometimes worked WisRap when necessary.

305 was rebuilt at Norwood Shops in 1973, with a new electrical system, 26L brake valve, and a brand new, 12 cylinder , 2000 hp 251 engine. Cost was about $160,000.  307 was done in 1974; 306 in 1975; and 308 in 1976. No specific dates for the rebuilds are given because each took approximately 6 months or more because the work had to be done during slack moments in the shop.

301-304 were not done because there wasn't enough room under the hood to do it. RS2s had a belt driven auxiliary system where as RS3s had electrically driven auxiliary systems. The belt driven system took up more room than did the electrically driven system. What GB&W did was to rebuild the original 244 engines from the RS3s (305-308) and installed them in RS2s 301-304.

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

11/24/2016

Memorial of Saint Bieuzy of Brittany

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

 

Crosses release us from this world and by doing so bind us to God.

Blessed Charles de Foucauld