Now I offer photos, slides, magazines, railroadiana, etc.  You can find it at Ebay as  trinitydon .

This site is non-profit and non-commercial.  We would appreciate any donations and can accept PayPal.

 

Don's Rail Photos

Minnesota Short Lines and Industrial Railroads

 

American Crystal Sugar Co.

This is a national sugar beet company.


Buffalo Ridge RR

427, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1949, #9459, as Indiana Harbor Belt 8814, Class DES-13k. It was reclassified as Class ES-10m in 1966. It was later sold to BRRR as 427 in February 1977 and then Brandon Rail as 427 in June 1991.


Dakota Rail, Inc.

This line between Wayzota and Hutchinson was a Chicago & North Western and later Burlington Northern line. It DAKR closed service.

81A, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1950, #10348, FN 3036-A2, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 48-C, Class 15E-F. It was renumbered 47-A in January 1972 and renumbered 81-A.  It was sold as DAKR 81A and sold as Gettysburg Ry 81A.  It was sold as Ohio Central RR 1001 and sold as Aberdeen Carolina & Western 4500 in 2007.

326, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1959, #25321, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 326, Class 17.5E-RS. It was retired in December 1982 and purchased by DAKR as 326 in March 1983. It later was sold to Wisconsin & Southern as 4494.

1208, SW1200, was built by Electro-Motive in November 1954, #20048, as CMStP&P 2055, Class 12E-S. It was renumbered 607 in 1959 and 703 in 1984. It became Soo Line 1208 in 1985 and was retired in March 1986 and sold to DAKR as 1208.


Duluth & Northern Minnesota RR

2 was built by Baldwin in 1883 #6649, as Duluth & Iron Range 3.  It was sold as D&NM 2  in 1899 and returned as D&IR 3 in 1923.


Duluth & Northeastern

We have a full page on this road.


Duluth Union Depot & Transfer Co.

5, 44 Ton was built by General Electric in March 1943, #15765, as Northern Pacific 99.  It was sold to DUDT 5 on December 1, 1943.


Erie Mining Co.

700, GP38, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1967, #31949.  It was renumbered 7250  in 1970 and renumbered 4215.  It became LTV 4215 in 1985.  It was sold as Northern Illinois & Wisconsin RR 4215 and sold as Aberdeen & Rockfish RR 405.


Farmers Cooperative Elevator

102, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1951, #14517, as Texas & Pacific 1036. It was renumbered 1231 in 1962 and became Missouri Pacific 1231 in 1976. It was repainted and renumbered as Great Southwest RR 102 on July 30, 1984. It was sold to Wilson Ry Corp in June 1988 and resold to FCE that same month. The elevator was acquired by Cooperative Business Association in 1989 or 1990. The engine was retired in 1997 with engine troubles and was sold to Roy Morris in November 1999 for use as a lease locomotive. The deal fell thru and Mr. Morris sold it to Transglobal Rail in October 2000. After rebuilding it was sold to Nucor Steel as 1231 and sent to Hertford, NC.

1249/103, SW9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1951, #14325, as St. Louis Brownsville & Mexico 9187. It became MoPac 9187 in 1956 and was renumbered 1249 in 1962. It went to GSW as 1249 on July 30, 1984, and repainted and renumbered 103 in 1985. It was sold to Wilson in June 1988 and resold to Farmers Cooperative Elevator at Split Rock, MN. It now has silver trucks from a UP SW10, but remains in GSW paint and lettering.


Farmers Elevator Co of Alvarado

1920, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1954, #19674, as Grand Trunk Western 1760, Class GR-17b. It was renumbered 4436 in 1956 and later became Kansas Southwestern Ry 4436 in 1991.  It was sold as Northern Plains RR 2287 and sold as FECA 1920.


Generation II Locomotive

2001, GP20u, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1961, #26576, FN 7597-6. as Chicago Burlington & Quincy 905.  It became Burlington Northern 2041, Class GP-20, in 1970 and rebuilt by GIIL in October 1989 as BN 2001, Class GP20C.  It was returned as GLLX 2001 in April 1993 and leased as Twin Cities & Western 2001.  It was transferred as Red River Valley & Western RR 2001.

2005, GP20u, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1960, #26293, FN 7594-8, as Great Northern 2035, Class GP-20.  It became BN 2035, Class GP-20, in 1970 rebuilt by GIIL in March 1990 as BN 2005, Class GP20C.  It was returned as GLLX 2005 in April 1993 and leased as TC&W 2005.  It was transferred as RRV&W 2005 "Charles N Clay".

2008, GP20u, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1961, #26577, FN 7597-7, as CB&Q 906.  It became BN 2042, Class GP-20, in 1970 and rebuilt by GIIL in February 1990 as BN 2008, Class GP20C.  It was returned as GLLX 2008 in April 1993 and sold as TC&W 2008.

3516, GP20u, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1961, #26572, FN 7597-2, as CB&Q 901.  It became BN 2037, Class GP-20, in 1970 and rebuilt by GIIL in March 1990 as BN 2009, Class GP20C.  It was returned as GLLX 3516 in April 1993 and leased as TC&W 3516.


Great Lakes Coal & Dock Co.

Great Western Dock Terminal Co.

320, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1939, #907, as Minneapolis St Paul & Sault Ste Marie 320, Class D-4.  It became Soo Line RR 320 in January 1961 and sold as GLC&D 320 in November 1978.  It became GWDT and later sold as Independent Locomotive Works 320.


Hallett Dock Co.

1st 11, H10-44, was built by Fairbanks Morse in September 1946, #L1009, as Minnesota Western Ry 51.  It became Minneapolis Northfield & Southern 11 in 1959 and sold to HDCo as 11 in 1977.  It was preserved at Lake Superior Transportation Museum.

2nd 11, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1949, #10381, FN 6023-1, as Chesapeake & Ohio 5060, Class SE-10.  It was reclassified Class NW-2 in 1964 and sold to Greenbrier Leasing Co as GBRX 5060.  It was sold to Industrial Maintenance Service and rebuilt as Elgin Joliet & Eastern 455 in November 1975 using a hood from EJ&E 919.  It was transferred as Duluth Missabe & Iron Range 11 in May 1998.  It was retired in May 2006 and sold as HDCo 11


Harvest States Cooperative

860, SW1, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1940, #1041, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 1615, Class 6E-S. It was renumbered 965 in 1959, 941 in 1972, and 860 in January 1973. It was sold to Independent Locomotive Co in January 1983 and then to HSC in July 1983.


Minneapolis Eastern

A week or so before I was to report to the Army, I rode the C&NW (pass in hand) to the Twin Cities to visit an old friend named Howard Svendsen. Howard was the one who got me started collecting builder numbers. He dropped out of the hobby some time around this time and I got his entire trolley collection. Ed Wilkommen of Milwaukee got his railroad photos. But I digress. We spent several days touring all the rail spots in the Twin Cities, and we came upon the only locomotive of the Minneapolis Eastern. 4 was built by Alco-Schenectady in April 1912, #50929 as Chicago St Paul Minneapolis & Omaha 4, Class M-1, and was sold to ME at an unknown date. It was one of the best shots of the trip since much of the time was cloudy overcast.


Minneapolis Northfield & Southern

There is a full page on this railroad.


Minnesota Central RR

253, HE15, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1952, #16865, as Chicago & North Western 1596. It was rebuilt at Oelwein August 19, 1980, as 4201, as HE15. It was renumbered 4253 on May 14, 1981, and sold to Keokuk Junction RR as 253 on February 8, 1991.  It was transferred as MCRR 253 in 1996 and scrapped in 1999.


Minnesota Dakota & Western Ry.

13, 80 Ton, was built by General Electric July 1950, #30799.  It was transferred as Boise Cascade LLC 13 and sold as Indiana Grain Coop 13.  It became Indiana Farm Bureau Coop 13 and it became CountryMark Coop no number.  It became Archer-Daniels-Midland no number.


Minnesota Northern RR

911, TR4B, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1950, #10522, as Belt Ry of Chicago 503B.  It was renumbered 513.  It was sold as Independent Locomotive Service 911 and leased as MNRR 911,

1381, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #11121, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1505.  It was renumbered 95 in 1958 and retired on May 9, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry in July 1989 and sold as Chicago & Central Pacific 1600 in 1989.  It was retired in April 1991 and sold as North Shore Scenic RR 652 in May 1991. It was sold as Independent Locomotive Service 1381 and leased as MNRR 1381.

1471, GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1959, #25079, FN 5592-7, as New York Chicago & St Louis 801, Class ERS-17G.  In 1965 it became Norfolk & Western 2801 and was renumbered 1471 in 1983.  It was retired on April 1985 and traded in to General Electric on April 5, 1985.  It was sold as Dakota Minnesota & Eastern 1471 "City of Watertown" on October 10, 1986, and sold as MNRR 1471 in August 1998.  It was transferred as Huron & Eastern 1721 in May 2013.

1484,  GP9, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1959, #25092, FN 5592-20, as NYC&StL 814, Class ERS-17C. In 1965 it became N&W 2814. It was renumbered 1484 in 1983 and sold to General Electric on April 5, 1985. It was acquired by DM&E as 1484 "City of Tracy" on October 10, 1986, and was later sold to Taylor Machine Works. It was sold as MNRR 1484.


Minnesota Transfer Ry.

Minnesota Commercial RR

Commercial Transload of Minnesota

We have a full page on this road.


Minnesota Transportation Museum

6234, SD9, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1959, #25259, FN 5589-9, as Colorado & Southern 839.  It was renumbered 6234, Class SD-9, in August 1979 and became Burlington Northern 6234, Class SD-9, in January 1982.  It became Burlington Northern Santa Fe  6234, Class SD-9, and kept the same number for preservation.  It was donated to MTM and became MNTX 6234 on December 12, 2003.  It was restored as BN 6234.


Minnesota Valley RR

428, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1949, #7196, as Indiana Harbor Belt 8785, Class DES-13g.  It was reclassified as Class ES-10m in 1966 and retired in November 1985.  It was sold as MVRR 8785 in 1989 and renumbered 428.  It was sold to Pioneer Railcorp as PREX 103.

1850, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in August 1952, #17242, as Louisville & Nashville 414, Class GP-7. It was renumbered 2304 and rebuilt at Uceta in August 1982 as Seaboard Coast Line 4804, Class GP-16. It later became Seaboard System RR 4804 and later renumbered 1805. It then became CSX Transportation 1850, Class GP-16. It was retired in July 23, 1992, and sold to MVRR as 1850 and sold to Santa Fe Southern RR as 93 in 1993.

6717, SW900, was built by General Motors in 1955, #A677, as Canadian Pacific 6717, Class DS-9a. In July 1989 it was sold to M4 Holdings Inc who sold it to MVRR as 6717. It was later sold to AG Processing where it retained its original number.


Minnesota Western Ry.

38 was built by General Electric.

10, H12-44, was built by Fairbanks Morse in January 1951, #12L427. It became Minneapolis Northfield & Southern 10 in 1959, and after retirement it was painted as C&NW 10.

51, H10-44, was built by Fairbanks Morse in September 1946, #L1009.  It became MN&S 11 in 1959 and sold to Hallet Dock Co as 11 in 1977.  It was preserved at Lake Superior Transportation Museum.


Minnesota Zephyr Limited

787, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in January 1953, #17916, FN 6123-A2, as Spokane Portland & Seattle 804. It became BN 9756, Class F-7, in 1970. It was later renumbered 972553L and back to 9756. It was then renumbered 716 and retired in February 1981.  It was sold to Cadillac & Lake City as 716 in 1981 and later sold to Colorado & Eastern RR as 716 in 1984. It was later sold to MZL as 787 in 1985.

788, F7A, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1949, #8568, FN E1188-A21, as Chicago & North Western 4082A.  It was rebuilt for suburban service in 1959 and renumbered 409 in December 1971.  It was sold to Regional Transportation Authority (Metra) on December 31, 1977, and leased back to C&NW.  It was retired on May 2, 1983, and sold to St. Louis & Chain of Rocks RR as 409 in May 1985.  It was sold as MZL 788.

"Grand Dome" was built by Pullman-Standard in 1937 as Southern Pacific 3000, parlor car.  It was rebuilt in May 1955 as 3604, dome lounge, and rebuilt in 1968.  It was retired in 1970 and leased by Amtrak as SP 9373 in 1971.  It became Amtrak 9373 in 1972.  It was retired in 1981 and sold to Standard Industries in May 1981.  The owner, J R Reed, died and it was sold to Jim Stephenson.  It was then sold to David Paredeau in June 1987 and rebuilt as MZL "Grand Dome". 


Northern Paper Co.

No number, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric in May 1941, #12948, as St Paul Union Depot Co 441.  It was sold as NPCo no number in 1971.


Northern Waterways

100 , 44DE18, was built by Whitcomb in October 1941, #60090, as Chicago Milwaukee St Paul & Pacific 1702..  It became Class 3.5W-2 and was renumbered 993 in 1959.  It was sold as NW 100 in 1968.


Northshore Mining Co.

1228, SD18, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1961, #26656, as Reserve Mining Co 1228.  It became NSM 1228 and sold as Northern Illinois & Wisconsin 1228.

2001, SD40-3, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1973, #73634-7, as Soo Line RR 773. It later got Canadian Pacific cab lettering.  It was retired in January 2001 and sold to Helm Leasing,  It was rebuilt as VMV Enterprises as 2001, a SD40-3, and sold as National Railway Equipment Co 2001.  It was sold as NSM 2001 in December 2010.


North Shore Scenic RR

652, GP7, was built by Electro-Motive in March 1950, #11121, as Missouri-Kansas-Texas 1505.  It was renumbered 95 in 1958 and retired on May 9, 1989.  It was sold to Wilson Ry in July 1989 and sold as Chicago & Central Pacific 1600 in 1989.  It was retired in April 1991 and sold as NSSRR 652 in May 1991. It was sold as Independent Locomotive Service 1381 and leased as Minnesota Northern RR 1381.


Northwest Grain

1009, NW2, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1948, #6581, as Texas & Pacific 1009.  It was sold to Hyman-Michaels Co on November 15, 1971, and then as Upper Merion & Plymouth 1009 in February 1972.  It was then sold in 1985 as Wisconsin & Southern 1009 and later sold as Independent Locomotive Service 1009.  They sold it as NG 1009.


Otter Tail Power Co.

1, 20 Ton, was built by Vulcan in February 1942, #4354, as Corps of Engineers 2093.  It became United States Army 7714 and sold as Connor Land & Lumber Co 1.  It was sold as OTPCo 1 and then Langren Grain Co  1.  It became Cargill Seed Sales 1 in 1985.


Otter Tail Valley RR

181, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in September 1963, #27773, as Norfolk Southern Ry 2.  It was acquired by Southern Ry and rebuilt as 181 in 1974.  It was retired in March 1986 and sold to Gibbs Railway Equipment in October 1986.  It was sold as OTVR 181 and resold as Diesel Locomotive Co 181 in 2007.

189, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1963, #27781, as NS 10.  It was acquired by Southern and rebuilt as 189 in 1974.  It was retired in March 1986 and sold to Gibbs Railway Equipment in October 1986.  It was sold as OTVR 189.

194, GP18, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1963, #27786, as NS 15.  It was acquired by Southern and rebuilt as 194 in 1974.   It was retired in March 1986 and sold to Gibbs Railway Equipment in October 1986.  It was sold as OTVR 194 and retired.


Pillsbury Co.

This is a national company.


Reserve Mining Co.

1220, SD9, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1955, #19989.  It was sold as Escanaba & Lake Superio 1220 in 1992.

1222, SD9, was built by Electro-Motive in June 1955, #19991.  It was sold as EL&S 1222 in 1992.

1228, SD18, was built by Electro-Motive in May 1961, #26656.  It became Northshore Mining Co 1228 and sold as Northern Illinois & Wisconsin 1228.

1242, SD38-2, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1978, #786142-6.  It was returned as General American Transportation Co 1242 and became Locomotive Leasing Partners 2806.  It was sold as Progressive Rail Inc 42.


St Paul Union Terminal Co.

6.

441, 44 Ton, was built by General Electric in May 1941, #12948.  It was sold as Northern Paper Co no number in 1971.


Twin Cities & Western RR

401, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in October 1950, #11046, as Great Northern 620, Class GP-7.  It became Burlington Northern 1520, Class GP-7, in 1970 and rebuilt in June 1975 as 1420, Class GP-10.  It was sold as TC&W 401 in May 1991 and sold to Independent Locomotive Service in September 1999.  It was sold as Belt Line Ry of Chicago 482 and later sold to Relco as RLCX 1702.

402, GP7u, was built by Electro-Motive in April 1951, #13336, as GN 623, Class GP-7.  It became BN 1523, Class GP-7, in 1970 and rebuilt as 1401, Class GP-10, on September 16, 1974.  It was retired on February 25, 1991, and sold to Red River Valley & Western on May 17, 1991.  It became TC&W 402 and sold to Independent Locomotive Services in September 1991.  It was sold as BRC 483 and later sold as RLCX 1703.

2001, GP20u, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1961, #26576, FN 7597-6. as Chicago Burlington & Quincy 905.  It became Burlington Northern 2041, Class GP-20, in 1970 and rebuilt by Generation II Locomotive in October 1989 as BN 2001, Class GP20C.  It was returned as GLLX 2001 in April 1993 and leased as TC&W 2001.  It was transferred as Red River Valley & Western RR 2001.

2005, GP20u, was built by Electro-Motive in December 1960, #26293, FN 7594-8, as Great Northern 2035, Class GP-20.  It became BN 2035, Class GP-20, in 1970 rebuilt byGIIL in March 1990 as BN 2005, Class GP20C.  It was returned as GLLX 2005 in April 1993 and leased as TC&W 2005.  It was transferred as RRV&W 2005 "Charles N Clay".

2008, GP20u, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1961, #26577, FN 7597-7, as CB&Q 906.  It became BN 2042, Class GP-20, in 1970 and rebuilt by GIIL in February 1990 as BN 2008, Class GP20C.  It was returned as GLLX 2008 in April 1993 and sold as TC&W 2008.

3516, GP20u, was built by Electro-Motive in February 1961, #26572, FN 7597-2, as CB&Q 901.  It became BN 2037, Class GP-20, in 1970 and rebuilt by GIIL in March 1990 as BN 2009, Class GP20C.  It was returned as GLLX 3516 in April 1993 and leased as TC&W 3516.

4302, GP30C, was built by Electro-Motive in July 1962, #27514, as Union Pacific 805.  It was retired on January 10, 1987, and sold to National Railway Equipment on January 8, 1988.  It was sold to Soo Line RR in August 1988 and was rebuilt by Generation II completed on November 5, 1990, with a Caterpillar engine as 4302.  It was returned to Generation II in 1999 and sold as TC&W 4302.

 

 

WebWork by rinity echnology Co.

AMDG

3/3/2014

Memorial of Saint Anselm of Nonantola

Choose Life.


Home Page

Don's Depot

 

You should never praise anyone until you see how how it turns out in the end.

-- St. Francis of Assisi